Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

The way i see it solent is i paid my £29 to run a half marathon not a 13.42 mile race...i will gladly take the 1:57:12 time as i was on 1:55:56 at the 13 mile mark on my garmin ...i knew something was up with the distance when my garmin was saying 6.6 miles at 10 km marker..lots of other garmin and satelite devices going off at same time as mine arond me so knew mine wasnt out..

i still ran a bloody good race regardless and my average pace 8.53 the fastest ive ever done and my legs feel like ive run a marathon and the stairs are a challenge today image

did an easy 20 min run today as per training plan think legs just ran out of habit though ... an interval run tomorrow and a tempo thursday followed by an 18 miler on saturday...

lots of miles being clocked up now by everyone 

well done on everyone elses proper pb's  too

• Options
    Wow, a half marathon, intervals, tempo and LSR within 6 days Yvonne. That's hard core!!!

Well done on the result!!
  • Options
    Well done eVeryone who took part in the Brighton hm. Your times all sound fantastic!. As for the additional distance I can understand the frustration however it would possibly have been more frustrating if it was under 13.1. Just think you've run more than a half marathon and probably have those PBs.

I just hope the mileage is right on April 15th, either way my body is psychologically programmed to just STOP at 26.2 so if you see a rather exhausted red faced woman standing still a few hundred meters from the finish line that will be meimage

I must thank you all for your words of encouragement following my painful 18 mile experience on Sunday, your words of wisdom have made me eager to carry on and see just how successful the run walk approach can be next weekend imageimage
  • Options

Morning all

Well used the treadmill yesterday to do the 5 miles but i have 10 today so will be going out for a run wife got a great deal on our train ticket for Brighton £9 each so with travel insurance they came to £42 instead of the usual £90

Yvonne well done on the H/M and on the PB you won’t be needing me at Cricklade this year i think it may be the other way around and i be letting you pace me around

Waves like a mad thing to everyone else

Must go now bed is calling

• Options
    On the subject of course measuring what line do they measure on?
    Is it shortest route possible eg on inside of corners?
    or middle of track?
    I seem to remember clocking up 1/4 mile extra last year, i might need to sharpen my elbows up to get on the that inside line!!!
  • Options

Well done on the PBs - including the adjusted ones at Brighton. I think it's good that the organisers have admited their mistake and done something about it.

Stig - I had a cold, thought I was over it, ran and am now suffering a double dip cold. yes, I've heard the "if it's in your head you're OK" but I wouldn't be risking it. I've resorted to not running for an entire week in an effort to make sure I shift this bug properly this time. I'm climbing the walls with the runs I'm missing, but I've been sleeping 10 + hours at a stretch, so I'm clearly not right yet.

Sarah, we all have rough runs. Did my first 16 miles and thought I was going to die! It was just awful from mile 1. I'd suggest you slow down, make sure you finish it and try not to get a mental block about the distance. If run/walk suits you, then do it - personally I find it increasingly difficult to start after each walk, but that's me. You want to slow the pace and trust the plan - it's miles on the feet that matters. It shouldn't be wiping you out for the next week.

Danny, try here: http://www.coursemeasurement.org.uk/ there are rules, like you have to take the racing line a certain distance inside the course, so it's not the absolute shortest line, but neither is it the middle of the road either.

• Options
    FayaFaya ✭✭✭

Congrats on all the LSRs and HMs everyone! Somewhat jealous that I had to take a rest weekend, but I did an easy 30 min run yesterday and the ankle seems ok. So I'm going to wait until wednesday and then I'm going to have another run, I think maybe another gentle run, but for 50ish mins this time.  

Also sorry to hear about the kurfuffle with the distance at the Brighton half, glad that it looks like they're doing something about it though

Sarah, I've started doing walk/runs for my training and I will probably do it on the day as well. I ran too fast and had to resort to walk/runs on my 13.1 and 14 mile runs and I was beginning to hate it. I slowed my pace right down now and I'm running for a mile and walking for 0.10. I did that for my 15 miler and I felt that I probably could have gone further, so I'm looking forward to this weekend when I can try again.

• Options

Toby, glad to see training is still on track.

Huffapuff, I see you've clocked that first 20 miler. Excellent! Sounds like you are exceeding expectations, but I think your attitude is absolutely right. Enjoy the day!!! image

Nice 6.5 miler for me today. I was still feeling the effects of HM from Sunday (and double dance lesson last night!) so pleased to keep up a steady pace for the run.

Have good weeks everyone, and hope the manflu / double-dip colds are quickly and quietly resolved. 

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options

Helen liz im with you on the fact i cant run after ive stopped to walk i find it hard to move the legs especially if they have been going for 18 plus miles...i just slow down and keep a running motion going...get my breath back and give myself a good talking too and get going again....but saying that i do get times when ive hated the run and felt like pants and thought why do i do this???

AGF well my plan says thats what i have to do so will try and stick to that ....it must be doing something for me as sunday was the fastest ive ever ran and thats after 8 weeks on this sam murphy plan which has an interval, tempo, LSR  and a recovery run each week to do!! im no superwoman im a 44 year old woman who got into running late in life and found that i firstly enjoy it and secondly i can do it and thirdly it gives me a tiny excuse to nibble on the occasional bit of chocolate...image except in the next 40 days when i will give it up for lent...im not a religious person but i do like to, each year, to think of people around the world who have bugger all cos of religion, war and politics...

Toby i doubt i could match that run again i got myself all phyched up for that one to go under 2 hours for them to balls the whole distance up...oh well let it go and chill ...image

Mind you it was kind of goose bump time when i looked over preston park from my hotel room over the weekend....

• Options
    Yvonne, I wouldn't worry about the messed up distance. True it shouldn't have happened, but the revised time is a genuine PB, if anything it will be slightly worse than what you could have achieved over 13.1, but only by a few seconds. It certainly won't be better.
    The people I felt sorry for were those in another, sizeable UK city who all thought they'd got a PB one year, only to discover that the course was slightly under-distance. That would be really gutting, especially as many of them were probably on for a genuine PB anyway! You can adjust reasonably well for overdistance, but not for under distance.
    As for cracking 2 hours again, you've only been on the revised plan for 8 weeks, so I think there's every chance you'll be able to crack 2 hours in the future!
    Faya Glad to hear that the ankle seems to be recovering.
    HelenLiz Great link. Very interesting reading, -although I probably found it more interesting than if I'd read it about 4 days ago image

Waves to everyone else imageimageimage
  • Options

juggler would you be talking about Cardiff which turned out to be about 500 yards short when they dumped a load of metal girders’ on part of the course they had the chap that measured the course for that one at Brighton last year in the seminars

He an Ex athlete and now doses this for a living apparently when i got chatting to him afterwards he had told them it would make the course short when they phoned him but then ignored his advice to get it re-measured

Sarah if you do use the run a mile walk 60 seconds just remember to think i am just running a mile don’t look at the whole distance that’s what i did with the 20 miles i told you about i told myself i only had to run 1 mile and then i got a walk and all i was doing was repeating it 20 times hope this helps

this isn’t the first time they messed up the Brighton H/M the back in 2010 apparently it was so badly marked out that they had people running the wrong way from what i remember the Brighton marathon people looked at the way it had been organized and took lessons from it

• Options

Yvonne, If it works do not change it image   Its sounds too tough for me though...thats all i was saying.

I guess we all have about 30-35 days before we start thinking about our taper.....so lets all dif deep make these weeks count image Good luck Folks !!

• Options
    AGF, that just panicked me! Still, the positive side is: that gives me 5 more interval sessions, 5 hilly runs and 3 or 4 LSR's, (plus some easier runs) so I'll try and stay calm ..... image

Toby Yes, I'm sure it was Cardiff I remember reading about.

Slightly panicked waving madly to all imageimageimage
  • Options

Afternoon all

Well 10 mile MWLR done i decided to push the pace all the way round  today as a result the run took me 1:39:50 with an Avg pace of 9:34 m/m which was a nice surprise i but the bigger shock was when i compared  to the last time i ran the same course 2 weeks ago  it was 5 minutes faster i am now sitting down recovering from the shock

• Options

yvonne: I was not trying to say you did not run a sub 2, more that if it was me it would have to be Chip or Gun time to qualify for a PB. I know this seems harsh, but that is the way I see it. It was good of Brighton to own up to the mistake of a long course, but re-caluculating finish times is not good enough, the mistake was made and it will always be permanent. I can see you run a sub two for the half distance, so my advice would be to book up another half then set a bonafide time to clear up any dispute.

• Options
    Solent you're a real stickler for rules. Yvonne as far as I'm concerned you can frame that pb of yours and stick it up over the fire place (he's collecting pbs for fun these days and can afford to discount the odd one or 2).
    I'm still disappointed pbs don't count unless they're in a race!
    Off to find my plan and start following it again, been a bit slack on the mid-weekers.
  • Options

Danny: I did not say yvonne could not call it her PB, just that I would not.

As for running PB's in training, is this for realimage.

• Options

Solent i did get a pb regardless of whether it was over the 13.5 mile course (or 13.42)as they said it was most people have recorded a distance of 13.5 but hey ho.......over the 13.5 longer version of the half marathon in brighton i still ran 2 mins faster than my last cricklade proper 13.1 half marathon course but if it had been a proper 13.1 mile course in brighton i know my time was around the 1:57 mark like i said at 13 miles my garmin time was 1:55:56...but its done and dusted and nothing we can do to change it so i wont stress about it ...ive done 2 more training runs since sunday and feel strong and knowing i can run a little faster will now go for a 4 hour 15 min marathon time .....

Danny thanks for support image and if anyone asks i will say 1:57:12 especially as it was a faster time than my daughter ran hers and she is half my age image and she has accepted that was my proper time after looking at my garmin results...

It was gonna be the last half id do but now will have to have another go to make it official on a chip time thats if i have another really good day like that was...

• Options

I'd take it, Yvonne - you know you deserve it. image

I wouldn't claim a PB from a training run, but I know I've run 5k in the middle of a tempo run faster than my 5k PB. All that gives me is confidence that when I'm through with Brighton, I'm going to spend the summer cracking PBs at shorter distances. I've already got a 10k in my sights, and the nearest Parkrun's a pretty good course too. image

I've had my number arrive for Silverstone half. Two of them. I seem to have been rather stupid & entered twice. hmm, which number do I want to run with & what do I do with the other?! image

• Options
    yvonne: if all this means you get to run another half marathon is that such a bad thingimage. As for if you can run that fast again, I'm sure with the improvements I have been reading on this thread you have been making you have can go faster still. Just think  what sort of pace your be running at after some more training.
  • Options
    Yvonne, the good thing is with this form you may well get another pb in the big one image

Helen, your training sounds like it's going really great. Well done!!

I am in a hotel tonight for work. I forgot my garmin. Ran for 112 mins and will need to google distance. Strange running without the technology....

Juggler... Sorry for panicking you... image
  • Options

Morning all

Just a quick post just 5 miles for me today then 19 on Friday

Yvonne so the next one will be your last H/M imagewhat length race are you going to concentrate on i myself would love to go sub 50 min for a 10k and sub 1hr 50 for a H/M but to be honest i can’t see that ever happening

• Options

Toby....well you never know i may do some more image halfs that is..

But this marathon is most definately my last one... but im still gonna go to brighton on the weekend of the marathon i may volunteer to give out drinks and cheer very loudly  image

Rest day for me today although i do have pilates later got to keep the core strength up

• Options

followed all the pb chat yesterday, but really all i do know is you can use the 13.1 mile time to help predict your marathon time. This has to be giving you all more confidence.

I went to see a great physio yesterday. she properly checked my running. essentially the problem is weak glutes (from cycling) and so I am using my calfs to compensate more. (apparently I'm running through my big toe, who knew?) everything elese was fine and my running style wasn't changing even when my calfs were hurting.

couple of things i learnt. run through dull pain, but stop on sharp pain. do pilates (go a couple of hip abducor and back excercises) and she  also said what I heard at the brighton seminar that you cannot do too many single leg squats in a day. do them when you brush your teeth, boil a kettle, wash up, whenever.

did a slightly painful 8 mile run this morning, but still felt good. i did a 20 mile bike ride yesterday and i flew back up crystal palace hill so my legs have been getting stronger even with the breaks.

18 mile LSR this weekend will really tell me how progress is. Also got myself onto the Adidas Full Potential seminar which is free and seems fairly detailed.

i wish I had seen a running coach right from the beginning as I am certain it would have been cheaper than all this physio and I would definitely be in a better position than I am now.

• Options
    rondo glad to read that the calf problem is nothing that can’t be fix i was in the same boat a few weeks back when my knee start playing up i thought at one point i was going to have to defer both my Bath H/M and my Brighton place to next year but one visit to physio short that i to have a week glut muscle and he gave me some exercises

so know with the various exercises i was given by the sports masseur  and chiropractor and physio it now takes me 30 minutes to do the stretching and strengthen exercises before i even get out the door

Of course had i been doing them in the first place my knees my not have ever played up in the first place but hay ho we live and learn

• Options
    10 miles tonight. Happy days!!!

Am taking the wife to Brighton at weekend for her birthday image
  • Options
    Great place AGF! Hope you enjoy the weekend.

6 miles for me tonight, mostly on the treadmill set at 4%. Bit of a half hearted attempt at intervals as my original plan was a longer easy paced run, but then my wife said she'd only go to the gym if I was going too (not sure why, as she does completely separate exercises! image ) Anyway, supportive partner time, so went to gym and managed to stay on the Tmill for nearly 50 minutes, and then jogged home to get up to 6 miles.

Rondo, good update image Sounds like, you'll be sauntering round Brighton on a sunny April morning image

Helen, perhaps you could do Silverstone twice ... oh no, that would make it a double half which is err ...

Waves to all imageimageimage
  • Options
    a happy brithday to Mrs AGF hope you have a great time
  • Options
    TkS Toby, much appreciated...
  • Options
    FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    So I've done a easy 30 min run and an easy 40 min run this week and I think my ankle is better. But I don't know if I'm just worrying and thinking that it's hurting when it isn't, or over compensating for something that isn't there. I might book myself in with a physio next week just in case.