Options

Thames Path 100

Comments

• Options

Speaking of lack of sleep - was it any of you on the forum consuming a can of Red Bull at every aid station and 2 before the race. My crew noticed it and wondered if they have managed to get any sleep yet?

• Options
    Mr F i,m touched, once the website is back up i,ll have a chat with James.
  • Options
    WiB, good to put a name to a face!  I think you deserve a medal for having to have put up with Tim for all those hours whilst he decided to try on every bit of new kit that came thru the CP.  Thanks for waiting for me to come thru, that coke really helped with the final push! Me and the missus were also thinking that a crack at the Grand Slam might be in order next year!
  • Options

I posted this on the sub-3 thread on Sunday afternoon but it ought properly to reproduced here . . .

Ouch, ouch, ouch. That hurt a lot. I now resemble a 90 year old arthritic man following a punch up.  I cannot walk. I can barely get out of a chair. I am totally destroyed. My level of infirmity is higher than after BGR, Double Sicily and HOTH (and I thought I'd never surpass the feeling after my BGR).

The pace was too hot at the start. I think it was an averge of about 7.30min/m for the first 15-20m (probably caused by Craig Holgate, a 2.30 marathoner). The marathon distance was passed in about 3.20-5 and although I felt tired I was fine. At about this point I was running with Robbie Britton - an infuriatingly chirpy, happy positive bloke. The man can talk.

By about 40m I was starting to feel it and was really concerned that I was not even half way. However, with Robbie rabbiting on at me and refusing to be pulled down to my gloomy despondency we kept a good pace going. Whilst I was running with him I adoped his 55/5 run/walk strategy.

At Henley (51m) we picked up Robbie's pacer who was planning to go to Reading (58m) but then decided he'd stay on for Whitchurch (67m). They pulled me along nicely for a few miles but the pace was just too much for me and I started to drop off. From about 56m I was on my own.

It was now dark, I was tired and I was still trying to get my head around the fact that there was 40+ miles to go. It really was a case of checkpoint to checkpoint. And so it went on. The 9m stretch to Whitchurch was not too bad although I stress it was not pleasant. I was fortunate that nothing was acutely wrong with me - no strains, tears or serious injury. It was just a case of mullered legs (muscles getting very tired), tight tendons (the achilles) and the beginning of some quite impressive blisters. 

• Options

At Whitchurch I was feeling knackered and was beginning to have fantasy thoughts about quitting and questioning the point of the suffering I was choosing for myself. Staggeringly this was all entirely self-imposed! 67-71m was slow - it took me an hour but that included an emergency al fresco bush operation.

At 71m it was time to load up with Immodium Instants and then it was on to 78m at Benson. It was on this leg that that I was passed by another competitor who was fortunate enough to have a pacer with him (makes a massive difference). They went past like a train and I was totally unable to respond. All I could do was stick to 25/5 and even then I extended the 5 and found any excuse to walk. Each return to running hurt me a lot and took a real mental talking around. At this stage I was maintaing my new best pace - 15min/m.

At Benson I was a train wreck. I put on a long sleeve running top over my T-shirt and arm warmers and kept my stop short. With my hands filled with goodies I walked for 5 minutes and ate (no point in standing still to eat). 25/5 became 12/3. Got to the little aid station at 82m and then had the toughest bit of the whole race. What follows is a series of interminably boring open fields. Progress feels really slow because there is no change of scenery. This was a really depressing bit.  Unfortunately I got passed in this section and was now down to 5th. However, 4mph remained the pace and finally, hallelujah, I was at Abindgon (91m).

This was a turning point mentally and I now knew I was going to beat the course. Just 4m to Radley was very achievable. Just after the Abingdon lock the trail was very slippery and I had to walk to stay upright. After that I sped up and didn't need any walking breaks. Then it was just the last 5m. I couldn't see anyone behind me and asked my wife to text as soon as anyone got to the checkpoint. I moved slowly and after 10minutes I thought my position was safe so I started walking. Bad idea. After 20minutes I received a text that the next runner arrived 15mins after me. Fook. I had been walking for 10 minutes! And MUCH worse. It was a girl. OMG. I tell you for the next 4m I was running scared. I'm surprised I do not have a shoulder strain from repeatedly looking over my shoulder. Fortunately there was no drama and I maintained my place.

Over the line in 18.34 and 5th place. Wow that was a toughie but I'm glad to have ticked the box and it's now off my list. Eternally grateful for my wife for standing in the cold and administering to my needs and then driving us home for a hour in the middle of the night.  We got home at just after 6 and were finally in bed at 6.30.  What a star she is.

• Options
    As I said before, it wasn't a girl, it was Mimi
  • Options
    What a great race. Completed it before the worst of the weather hit, but it didn't stop the course having its revenge - now have a foot infection and something akin to big foot hanging off my left leg. Thanks to all the marshals and aid stations - you certainly know how to make someone smile even at 2 in the morning!
  • Options

Sounds like some real adventures were had out there - well done to everyone who took part or helped out.

It's made for fascinating reading image

• Options
    Veggie - true, it wasn't merely a girl close behind me.  It was ultra legend Mimi.  Nevertheless, all I knew at the time is what my wife had texted me and that had me running scared.
  • Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Hey...hold on a minute!! Merely a girl???

Some of us "mere girls" were out there with the best of you "tough boys" battling the elements and are feeling pretty elated about our "toughness"!  As for hurting..well, I am really lucky, because although this mere girl wasn't anywhere near as quick as you, MTriton - she is a little stiff - has swollen feet and knees...but in no pain whatsoever! Go  figure!!

Consider yourself told off lol!!!

• Options

Any one who attempts that distance male or female is a bloody hero. Interestingly still being out on the course and on your feet after 12.00 in the afternoon was quite a revelation/ eye opener for me. Still hasn't sunk in yet, but it has wet my appatite and will be looking soon with interest for my next adventure .............

Goodluck and well done all

• Options

Anybody found themselves to be 6lbs or so heavier after completing the race? My legs are quite swollen. I'm taking it that this is quite expected and that they will return to normal size soon.

Like yourself Mark i dont think i will be receiving a medal and buckle. However, when i spoke to James yesterday he very kindly said that he would send me a t-shirt.

Looking forward to deciding what my next challenge will be. I may do the cardiff ultra in May again and see whats around in the summer months. It was very nice to meet so many friendly runners and marshals. Despite what happened close to the end, i thoroughly enjoyed the race. It was an epic adventure that i have only fond memories of.

H1ppo  many, many thanks again to you x

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Vicky, I too still have incredibly swollen feet. As such I will struggle to get my boots on for work tomorrow morning!
  • Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    I gained 9 pounds Vicky!!! and feet swollen too!
  • Options
    purplepig - consider me chastised. I'm not sure which is better, your 9 pounds worth of swelling or my pain . . . I was 4kg lighter after the race when I got home (6am on Sunday morning).  I haven't checked to see what my weight has done now.  However, I can definately say that I'm still in plenty of pain.  My right achilles is a bit swollen and several toes keep refillig blisters.  Quads and right calf still amazingly tight.  I reckon it will be at least a week until I can run again.
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I am surprised people have gained weight... I don't think that should happen! I lost about 5kg on my 100, also not great but I would find out about managing to gain weight during a long race such as this weekend.

Maybe you just pigged out a little at the checkpoints image come on... be honest! image

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

I haven't weighed myself but I don't recall ever gaining a significant amount of weight. Some form of fluid retention? My feet and ankles are still a bit sore and slightly swollen but the rest looks much as usual.

I finished before it got too bad and I'm very glad I started in road shoes then changed to hybrids with new socks at half way . Talked  at, I mean to, a lot of people, some of whom might be on this forum so glad you got through and hope to see you at the next one.

• Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    When I did my last ultra, I was mortified to have gained 5 pounds after all that effort and hardly any food..so i googled it,and discovered it's quite common. I think something to do with if you don't tend to sweat much but do  lose salt?? I was assured by the blog I was reading before that it would all drop back off again fairly quickly without trying..and it did. I tried very hard  during the race to keep my intake up, but at times I found it hard to eat as it made me feel sick. I drank loads - just water -  no energy drinks as I used electrolyte tabs instead and feel I got it just right. Remember, we missed 3 meals - so for a woman 2000 cals would have been what we should have consumed just on a normal day. Anyhow, the upshot is, it does happen to some people...but it will just go!! It seems so unfair though!!
  • Options

I'd be a bit concerned at some of the weigh gain reported here, as it is a possible indicator of over-hydration, which can lead to hyponatraemia (Lea Betts died of hyponatraemia, not Ecstacy!). If you're still alive, don't worry this time, but you might want to read this http://www.westhighlandwayrace.org/info/medical.htm for the next time (best summary of what can happen to ultra runners that I have seen).

It seems unlikely that you pigged-out enough to put on significant weight (I helped out at Marlow, and none of you eat that much!), so the gain had to come from hydration; that isn't good and its why they weigh competitors at aid stations on some of the American classics (Western States for sure) - if you gain weight by more than a certain percentage, you have to hold at the aid station till you p*%ss your weight down!

I paced from Whitchurch to the finish, and with the reduced pace at the end and the relatively low temperature (my runners finished in 21:41 so we avoided the extreme conditions - hats off to those who didn't!) my fluid consumption was very low (apart from the 4 cups of tea  image!) - perhaps some people fell in to a habit of hydration that was significantly in excess of their need?

Hey, who am I to say ? but bear in mind that you can over-hydrate and it can be serious.

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery!

• Options

For whatever its worth, I lost about 1lb, but my body fat % fell by a ridiculous amount. 

Perhaps the fact that I was dehydrated messed with the scales?

• Options

Hi all had a great if uncomfortable weekend made it to the finish line. judging by your stories i must have been running behind ,with and in front of you at varying points apart from Mtriton who I was very much far behind.  I was wearing black bandanna for much of the race.

Got home today emptied my bag of wet and dirty cloths to wash, When  I went to hang them up I came across an extra pair of running glovesimage.Now at  a couple of aid stations I did tip the contents of my bag out to either ditch items or find things so might of picked them up there at the ice rink but i don't think so as I was in a corner with no one changing near me though the wife might of thought they were mine. I believe they are a short mans or ladies gloves .

Firstly sorry if am responsible for you having frozen hands and secondly if they are yours or someones you know I am willing to post them back  P.m me with the make and description and where you want them sent.

• Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Old and creaky - maybe you have a point. I filled my 750ml bottle up at each station! However, I was very aware of this condition and was careful to balance it up with regular taking of electrolye capsules. I felt I'd got it right because after the race and since then I have not had that yucky feeling you can be left with if your salt levels are low or you are dehydrated. I thought that by taking the electrolytes it balanced it up - but obviously there are other considerations and I have obviously drank way too much! Interesting.

I am still alive though!! Thanks for the info - very useful. image

• Options

Over- hydration may possibly have been the cause. I was taking on hot drinks and soup to keep warm aswell as re-filling my camelbak at regular intervals. I don't recall having put any weight on in my 53 miler last year. Purplepig, how long till your weight went back to normal?

• Options
    Forgot to say, it seems that the results have been put on the site by James but still forbidden access. Hope that gets rectified soon as would like to see how i was fairing from one cp to the next before my downfall. Hope all are recovering well. Off to the gym shortly to do some upper body weights and some light cycling.
  • Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Vicky, I think it was about a week. Thinking about it, my left hand swelled up quite badly for a few hours too, so maybe that was another sign of over hydrating.

Oooh, I can't wait to see the results/splits. Hope it's up soon. How can you tell results are up Vicky? Hope youre fully recovered now.

Paula

• Options
    I'm recovering nicely. Nearly able to walk properly! No running for about 10 days I think.

I drank a lot on this race. A glass of milk and usually one of coke at each checkpoint plus about 500ml or so of nuun between each checkpoint. On ultras where I've been weighed however with similar conditions and consumption I've lost weight.

Glad they didn't weigh us on the race. All those soaked clothes and mud must have weighed quite a bit?

Swollen feet is common. I usually wear sandals for a few days afterwards.
  • Options

No blisters, no swollen feet just sore knees and a sore back.

I'm intrigued by the weight gain though. I'm on over 80 ultras now and don't recall it ever happening to me in the past - and I do usually weigh myself pre-post race.

I was religious in my (Succeed) endurocaps, careful on my hydration yet I too put on 2lb. not a lot granted but I usually expect to lose some weight ... if it happens more often I migth have to think about a less painful way of trying to keep the weight off.

Strange that it happened to so many of us though.

• Options

Anyone else feeling more tired today than yesterday?..........maybe it's just being back at work! The soggy riverbank of Sunday morning seems like a long time ago

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, though there is a breakdown of results on the Centurion facbook site so at last you can see where you placed.

• Options
    sorry that should ahve said 'facebook'........must be the tiredness!!
  • Options
    A massage will help get the swelling down, gets rid of all the LA build up. I lost 2kg so am now enjoying chocolate - something I don't usually have image

Started running again this week, but only short ones to stretch the legs, no blisters or swollen feet so pleased - must be my Hokas!

Hope everyone recovers well image