Options

Thames Path 100

Comments

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Good write up James, an enjoyable read... best of luck at Barkley. If you can't PB on a course with 59,000ft lovely downhill forest trails then there is no hope I guess image
  • Options
    I'm wondering what to do next?

Any ideas over the summer or autumn?

I can't make either of the Downs races, but they do sound enticing.

HH
  • Options
    Hardmoors 110 would keep you out of mischief for a couple of days. 
  • Options
    Ring of Fire in Anglesey?
  • Options
    Just signed up for the grimsthorpe ultra in July. 10 10 mile laps around grounds of Grimsthorpe Castle. Also  doing the Cardiff ultra in May
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

vicky isnt the grimsthorpe actually a 105miler?!

doing a local 40 in three weeks but nothing other than that planned at the minute. recovery is going well though, feeling good and went for a nice XC 10 miles today with no problems

• Options
    I haven't run yet since the race. I ran the race with a damaged leg and frustratingly it didn't get any better on the race. Going to give it a full 3 weeks off, but desperate to get out again as apart from that feeling fully recovered. I've nothing longer than the Lairig Ghru 28 mile race planned for the summer. Might do a 100 mile race in the US in October though? GUCR for next year ????? 
  • Options

I started running again on Monday, in my recovery sandals.  The swelling of my feet has now reduced to the extent that I can run in shoes.  I have done no more than 9 miles to date, and would like to get in a long run on Sunday. 

After that, it is only three weeks until the Viking Way Ultra, so start tapering again, then back into the breach for more punishment!

• Options

Ey up!

I'm aiming for GUCR for my next big race year and I've decided to pull out of Viking Way due to a niggle from TP100 but I've got plenty of years to get to that badger!

I've written my first blog entry about the Thames Path 100 if anyone is interested. Its mainly about chasing Craig's shadow and my poor taste in music...

http://robbiebritton.blogspot.com/

Robbie

• Options

I had a week off, then did a couple of easy spins on the turbo trainer last weekend and now I'm pretty much back into triathlon training mode. I've done 2 swims, 2 bike commutes and 3 short runs this week so far. My top end speed hasn't returned yet, but otherwise I'm fine.

I have a summer of triathlons planned including 2 half and 3 full ironman distance races.

My next ultra might be the Norfolk Coast 100k in October, then I'm thinking of the ONER or the Trans Gran Canaria next year.

• Options
    4 Inns at the end of the month and then GUCR for me
  • Options
    Park run on Saturday for me.
  • Options
    Nice blog Robbie. Well done on your 2nd place.
  • Options

Hi all

I've had a bit of an ITB related knee niggle since the race, took a week off but have managed out for a few slow runs this week and some cycling. The cycling has definitely helped.

Next up for me is Connemara, 'only' the marathon, not the ultra thank goodness as I dont think my legs would forgive me 39m of road at this point in the recovery image. Looking forward to the marathon and then a weeks holiday sampling the Irish hospitality image.

After that it will be Dukeries ultra 30m version in May, the new Strathearn marathon in Perthshire in June, building to the Lakeland 50 in July.

I had considered Highland Fling again in April, but will largely depend upon how the knee feels once I start picking up the miles - and anyway, I decided last year that there are far too many annoying tree roots on that course!!! imageimage

• Options
    Can never understand why in Scotland there are so many fantastic trails yet there are 3 Ultras over the course of the WHW ... I could never just run half of the WHW either image
  • Options

I know H1ppo, its a bizarre one alright.......the thing I like about the Fling is you can do it unsupported with it having a drop bag system. The other two races they insist on support crew, one of whom must be a runner to come and find you if you get into difficulty. I have a (kind of image) willing driver, but finding a runner would be very problematic for me as I'm not in a club.

When I finished the fling last year I certainly didnt want to continue imageimage......but now I've done this TP thing and more training I am more inclined to want to image.

• Options

I've never been able to find much in the way of support either. It was a while ago but i've done the WHW twice by committing to run with a mate throughout as each others running support and with my wfe being road support for both of us ... She's long lost interest in doing that sort of thing now though!

• Options

Vicky

I feel terrible for you given the way that you went out, but in these races you often come away with more admiration for the DNF who put up the bravest effort, than many of the finishers.  Good luck at Grimsthorpe, but I am sure that you will take luck out of the equation. 

Hippo

You are going to be dreaming about river/canal paths after GUCR! 

waccyracer

With enough strength and determination, you can push through the park runimage!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi all.  Will this thead keep going until next year? If so I'm throwing my hat into the ring for 2013.  Sounds epic.

I've done the Fling four times and agree about all the rocks and tree roots.  That path by Loch Lomond is very attractive but not exactly runnable.  Grade 1 scramble at one point!  Cracking, well-organised race though, although new organisers this year.

In 2009 and again in 2011 I actually continued on my own all the way to Fort William straight after the race.  In 2009 I carried a stove for a quick cook-up but last year I ate in the Real Food Cafe before continuing. So no runners, support crews, or even CPs!  I'm not fast and both times the full WHW took about 31 hours.

• Options
    Cheers Ben. I pushed through the pain and when i hit the wall i just kept on going. image
    I am seriously thinking about next year's TP100 , i'd like to believe
    i'll be brave enough to give it another go. Pretty sure i can run it a bit faster.
  • Options
    Great story Ben. Well done and good strategy.

I might be tempted by TP100 again? Really enjoyed (most of) it.

Some great ideas for races. Viking way sounds tough. Cut offs might be difficult for me as only just sub 24 in TP.

I love the WHW and the 2 other ones. Did all three last year and done them a few times each now.The WHW is another great race for cameraderie. The prize giving for everyone at Sunday lunchtime is especially inspiring. In 2 weeks time I'm walking the WHW with family over a week. Looking forward to many pub lunches in places you wistfully run past on the race!
  • Options

Glad to hear everyone recovering well.

I have a very busy few months ahead. Just hope i can avoid injury this year!

April = London mara

May = Ultra Breacon 40

June = SDW100

August = NDW100

November = Winter 100 ( Not entered yet but considering for the slam)

Hopefully a muddy 15 miler tomorrow morning.

• Options

Thanks Ben. Definitely plan to cross that finish line!

Mr F, have signed up for grimsthorpe and it definitely said 100 miles.  I know what you mean though as other info has said 105. Will find out for sure on the day. It all adds to the excitement! Take care all x

• Options

I will be back next year for unfinished business

Groin strain took me out at 38 miles

Have got Caesars Camp 100 (or as much of it as I can get done in 28 hrs) and Winter 100 left to do this year, with maybe an IM in midsummer beforehand

• Options

Hillheader

I am pretty much the sacrificial virgin at the Viking Way Ultra, but if I don't give it a try I will never know.  One thing that I did notice about the TP100, is that some runners who are dynamite on the hills, were surprised by how slow their pace was. 

Waccyracer

Of course you are going to do another 100.  Once you have been there, you will always be drawn back. 

Dill

I would love to do the slam, but I have been only been running for two and a half years, so I still have "kid in sweet shop syndrome".  However much I enjoy a race, there is still one that I have not done at the same time next year, that tempts me away. 

• Options

I know what you mean Ben but i have a feeling the centurion races will be future classics and i would love to be one of the few to complete them all in the first year.

• Options

You have a point there. 

I would be shocked if a couple of the centurion races didn't become future classics.

• Options
    Good work to all the TP100 runners. If you're ready I'd like to let you in on another run of epic proportions! There is an island off the coast of Wales, a place of outstanding natural beauty, which is truly an ultra runners paradise. At the end of the summer we are hosting the inaugural Ring O' Fire Anglesey coastal ultra marathon. A run which circumnavigates the whole Island. All 131 miles of it. Please check out our website and we hope you'll be ready to take on a new challenge. We have almost 60 runners signed up so far. You can also be part of it: http://www.ringofire.co.uk/
  • Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

That's funny - I was looking at that one last night james!

I am booking up for around the island at the end of June (Isle Of Wight) whih I should be able to do if I just tick over with training on the back of TP100. There's loads I like the look of, but a lot are so far away from me. Maybe next year JCC .  Ring O Fire sounds good - but scary!! The event itself is really cheap compared to other multi days, but it would prob cost me a lot to get there and across to the island. Hmm - something to think about! James, what's it like in terms of navigation? I'm terrible!

• Options
    I have finally got round to writing up my race report, if you are interested you can find it on my website www.marvellousmimi.com

Good luck with all your other races, Ben see you at the Viking :0)