Options

Thames Path 100

Comments

• Options

Mimi - I will be sure to read that report image.

I did a report for the TP100 on the Scottish Runners thread in General the other week, its about page 1344 I think, or go to the current page and backtrack a few, sorry I'm rubbish at links!!! A report from me from the back of the pack image!

TRex - I read your blog for the Fling last year - that was some epic journey......and you had us all scared with that weird light in the night on the old route of General Wades Rd over Rannoch Moor image!! I have had some weird shit happen to me in the middle of the night in the remote parts of Scotland so can well believe how bizarre things can get sometimes!

Planning my Ireland trip now, current drive time is apparently 40mph so I dont expect to arrive in Connemara particularly fast image!!

In the meantime I got my maps for the Lakeland 50 in July - that looks like some epic race - I reckon the Lakeland 100 must rate up there with the UTMB in terms of difficulty???? What do people think?

• Options
    Hi purplepig! good to hear of your interest in the Ring O' Fire ultra.

The whole route is marked by Anglesey Coastal Path signposts. There are areas where the route can become unclear; like when traveling through large fields or woodland areas so you should bring a map, compass and/or GPS device. Check out the FAQs on our website which has loads of info: http://www.ringofire.co.uk/faqs Hopefully the great value we are offering at £99 for a three day event with overnight accommodation will make the cost of travel easier. We've just had a runner from Denmark sign up who couldn't get into the UTMB and that's in addition to quite a few other international runners. Have a look at the profiled runners on our website. There's some great characters running for sure. Our ultra is the same weekend as UTMB and offers 4 qualifying points. You know it makes sense!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Tigerspaw - image.  I've decided the "light" was in fact the reflective orange round marker they put on bridges as you approach them.  It's just that in my semi-hallucinating state it seemed to move around and even come towards me!

What are you doing in Connemara again, sorry?  I'll be doing the ultra for the 8th consecutive time.  It's a cracking event.  There is a thread started for it but it hasn't got going very well. 

I'm also on the waiting list for L50 - didn't get entered early enough.

• Options

James

I think that your race merits/needs a devoted thread. 

A lot of people get drawn into a race by following a thread about it, the TP100 being a case in point!

• Options
    T Rex - aha! An easy mistake to make when you have been awake for hours - made for a good tale anyway image. I am doing the marathon at Connemara, first time at the event, and first time in that part of Ireland too, been wanting to do it for past 3 years, finally got the combination of timing and finances right image. Just need to hope my leggies will carry me round, done a couple of 10 milers since TP but thats about it, will rest for a few days, but no real taper.
  • Options

I said i wouldnt do it, but with a few weeks gone by, i ,m seriously considering Mike Inksters 24 hr Challenge in May, its a lapped course which i have run several times in races like the moonlight challenge etc and i swore i would never do a lapped event again. But if the TP100 training stays in my legs it would be an oppurtunity to have another crack at 100 in 24 hours. Its only 10 mins from home but 16 plus laps makes my brain hurt just thinking about it.

Also havent broached the subject with Mrs Ashmore yet !!!!!!

• Options

Good idea Ben. I was certainly a devoted follower of this thread on the lead up to the TP100. I've also been keenly reading all of the post race analysis and stories following the event.

I managed to finish the race just before they called the event off. I was one of those runners finishing in the snow, wrapped in my survival blanket, with mild hypothermia. After running through the Sahara desert with 'James Bingham 5' in temperatures over 50 degrees, I thought there could not possibly be anything more uncomfortable. To be honest, I thought the last 10 miles of the TP100 was far harder! My clothing was completely soaked through, the wind was biting, the temperature was plummeting, the path made it impossible to run, and I was completely dehydrated after having been unable to stomach food / drink for the last couple of hours. Happy to have survived and it was certainly a memorable event! Give me a nice sand storm any day of the week!

Hopefully the Welsh weather will be more tame on the Ring O' Fire ultra, unless  'James Bingham 5' is organising a hurricane to make it more of a challenge for any hardened TP100 finishers.

• Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Mark, I did the 24 hr challenge last year. That was my very first attempt at an ultra distance. Great way of finding out what you're capable of, without the pressure of cut-offs etc.

I am really tempted by the Ring o Fire - but am wondering if I may be out of my depth with that one. Having said that, I thought that about TP100!  I'd need to get some serious hill training in quick smart!! OOh what do I do, what do I do??

• Options

Going to enter again next year I think. Perfect timing as build up to other events and most enjoyable event in own right. If anyone sees that entries are open, please post and we can all rush in!

Hope that everyone's other events for this year are going well or training for upcoming events back on track

• Options

Yeah I would like to do this again too - I have that last 9miles to complete, unfinished business image image.

Hillheader - I think we get a 'heads up' email a month before entry opens, as we are previous entrants image.

Completed Highland Fling last weekend and felt comfortable all the way round, had a total blast chatting to folk and generally enjoying myself not worrying about the time, then came down with a bloody cold a few days later, gone to the lungs!!! Feeling better and hopefully will clear up in time for Dukeries in 3wks time.

• Options

I decided last month that I have to revisit this one. Initially I thought no done this one time to move on, but something keeps troubling me - I sort of now know this course having finished it and secondly I want to have a good stab at breaking the 24 hour barrier.

Was way out of my depth the first time around, Hillheader I really had to let you go post Reading I just couldn't keep up, but now with a bit of muscle memory in the bank and a change of waterproofs and GTx trail shoes in the drop bags this race just could be the one!!

I might also toy with the idea of the South/North Downs as well for next year !!

Goodluck all

• Options

louismaxy

Of course you are going to do one of the Downs 100s. 

After you do TP100 a second time, do you imagine that you are going to just stop there?

• Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Might see how my coastal ultras go this year (Isle of Wight & Dorset Doddle) before I think about North/South Downsimage

TP was great though...maybe I'll see you all back there again too!! LM...trying for sub 24 eh? Got me thinking!

• Options

Ben I can't wait since finishing the TP100 i have entered The Cardiff Ultra next week and have entered the Thames Trott next February as a warm up for TP next year. One of the Downs 100 would be the icing on the cake !!

PP I think with better planning on my part and now I have that muscle memory from last March I believe sub 24 hrs is possible, the last 9 miles from Abingdon was horrible as you know. Just which I had packed my gortex trail shoes, big mistake. Traction resembled more a side ways movement sliding around that MB track next to the Thames under two inches of water................d'oh

• Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Good luck with Cardiff LM, I think Vicki Luffram from this thread is also doing that one.

• Options

I definitely learned some hard lessons about kit requirements in TP100. 

I would definitely have a goretex jacket in my pack if I did this event again. 

I don't think I would use goretex shoes, because the water gets in over the top, and then they just make matters worse. 

Above all, it was people who took care of their core body area who were least effected by the weather conditions. 

I would say that the conditions underfoot in the last 20 miles, definitely harmed the finishing times of many competitors, so we might well be able to do better next time round. 

• Options

Conditions could have been better - but also could have been worse. The Saturday was excellent remember. Perhaps the main problem was the contrast.

Most ultras I've done insist on full body cover (waterproof jacket AND trousers) to be carried at all times. Seems an appropriate rule considering it is early March.

• Options

Anyone got a way of turning the map on the website into a garmin course? I tried it last year but it kept blowing my garmin up (maybe too big a file).  Wondered if anyone has a clever way to chop course into bits & upload each.

And yes, I KNOW it follows the Thames.  So how come there were three of us wandering around Reading town centre around closing time last year then? Hmm???

(Answer: missing  a bridge crossing due to removed sign. Grr.)

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Hello all, how's things? Time is creeping on eh! Hope peoples training is progressing well?mark, I do have GPS data from last years race I could maybe try to email to you in an attachment? It's currently housed in my Garmin software online.... I got the reading town centre bit right and didn't deviate from the path so your welcome to fiddle with it if you like? I enjoyed a 19m off road walk yesterday all cross country over wet fields and through farms. So so similar to the final third of last years event, the only difference was that I was in goretex walking boots and gaiters not soggy road shoes! What a difference it makes!!
  • Options

Mr F, would love to have a look at the GPS data from last year. Doing the TP 100 in March for the first time, very excited and have been training like a wolf! Let me know what you need to email it over.

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Monkey, just need your email add and ul forward them to you later this afternoon. Comes un two seperate runs as I wore one watch for the first half then another for the 2nd. Just so you know, I only have the first 96m as I was one of those pulled out of the race when it was cancelled due to weather. The 96m checkpoint is where my race ended!
  • Options

Cheers Mr f! Sad to hear they cancelled the race at the end, are you doing it again this time?

My email address is barn_whit@hotmail.com. Much appreciated!

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

You should have the two files with you now monkey.... oh and another thing, the GPS signal was crap at the start, possibly due to the cloud cover and 199 other people searching for a signal too! I didnt start my watch until we hit mile one...

• Options

Thats awesome cheers Mr F! Will have a proper look later on tonight.

• Options

mr f - if you could send I would much appreciate.  am at marc DOT thatcher AT gmail DOT com

merci

• Options
    Hi all Mr f could you send me a copy please markfox491@internet.com first time for this race did the sdw100 last year this sounded tough last year with the weather etc. Looking forward to this tho just need my Achilles to heal up.
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Marc & Lingster, you should now both have mail.....image

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Lingster... Yours has bounced back. Should it be btinternet.com?
  • Options
    Yeah sorry Mr f markfox491@btinternet.com image