• Options

Mr F, You have mail

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

HTA, you should have two emails in return image

• Options

A true Gent, Thanks Mr F

• Options

Ran (or waded) most of the route between Henley and Marlow last night and its very flooded between Henley and Hurley. Had to take a detour onto the road which was not much fun. I've learned that its definitely worth checking for flood warnings before you head out, especially in the dark.

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I DiD the Thames path 50 a number if years ago in flooded conditions. So much of the course had to be rerouted over roads. I've got photos of us wading down a country road with water up to our waists, people were holding their ruck sacks up to stop them dipping in the water!! If I knew how to post photos on here I'd show you, they really are great pics!
  • Options
    Spoke with James yesterday on this. Still a long while to go. There are some contingency routes but if there was bad flooding, it would have to be a postponement. Fingers crossed as its a nice route and I don't want a life jacket added to the mandatory equipment list :P
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    O don't think I've ever run alongside the Thames without it either being sloppy or flooded! Feeling stronger than this time last year so just a matter of keeping it going now over the dark winter months
  • Options

From Henley along the path wasn't too bad, but after the deer park the thames path became the thames river. I'd really like to beat my Thames trot time from last year but I think waste high water might slow me down a bit.

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Why won't my posts appear here?!
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Oh that one did, shame about the two other lengthy ones! Grrr
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Shortened version.... Having two week stay in Goring at the minute so plenty of running opportunities up and down the river. Looks so beautiful in the early morning thick fog and frost. Hope everyone is training well and keeping niggle free?
  • Options
    Ah enjoying the facilities are you mr f?
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Indeed lirish. First time in 13yrs, about time I got my moneys worth! Awesome. I take it you've been too?
  • Options
    No happily I've never had the need, though if I do go my full thirty without having been I may make up an ailment just to pop down for a look
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    It's free in retirement which I didn't realise. You don't carry on paying your subs but only entitled to 5 day visits. Can't rate it highly enough.
  • Options
    Well hopefully you're not in for anything serious and you're ready for the new year and the build up to the TP100
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Thankfully nothing that's going to get in the way of my TP schedule!
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Hope you had a great Christmas and are ready to kick on jn the new year towards race day! Full of a head and chest cold at the minute which doesn't want to shift so no running for me but as soon as it clears il be hitting the trails again!
  • Options

Glad it's not just me Mr.F I can't get out the chair. This cold has knocked me for six.image

• Options
    Ill also- any TP100 runners out there who are healthy!? Does anyone live between the Henley to Streatley section and has been on the trail recently? Is it flooded and impassable? I wanted to do the 20 something miles, stay in Streatley and then do the reverse, but don't fancy a swim.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all. I feel like a bit of an imposter here. I've been asked by a running friend to crew her for the thames100 and I wanted to get your advice having run it the previous years. What would you want from someone supporting you? Are there specific areas that are difficult (technical/mental) where it'd be good for us to be?

Good luck with your training!
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Emmy - supporting runners is generally good fun. You should enjoy it. Typically it is pretty straight forward but I think a couple of useful tips are :

- Find out what the runner expects from you. For example how often they want to see you, what food and drink they like to be ready for them and any kit they want handy. Some people like to change shoes etc.

- keep in mind that they will likely be in a different mood at various points of the race. Encourage them and keep them moving along as best you can. Maybe some tough love if need be.

- concentrate on the runner. They don't need to know if you had trouble finding the meeting point, are tired or hungry. To be honest they are unlikely to care image

It is fun, enjoy.
  • Options

Em

I rely on my crew (wife) for all my major events.

The single most important thing is, If you agree to be somewhere at a certain time make sure you are there.

During the night when your runner is really tired and everything is hurting the thought of seeing you or the next aid station is all they'll be thinking of. So if your not there it is a major mental set back. My crew and i will have maybe three meeting points that i would like her to be at during 100 miles. Then if she makes any others it's a bonus plus it gives her chance to have a kip as and when she needs it.

Another point that WiB has touched on is the encouragement factor. If it's your runners first 100 the urge to drop may at points be very high. It really is your job to try and stop them doing that unless they have an injury. Tiredness and fatigue is not a reason.

• Options

Emmy

The runner that you are supporting, will undoubtedly go through some bad patches mentally, at some point.  The better check point captains are masters of persuasion, as are some of the more experienced runners.  Most people who have done a 100 miler can name somebody who helped them to finish it mentally, and people who have done more than one, have likely helped somebody else to finish one. 

When I did the TP100 last year, I woefully under prepared in terms of my kit.  A storm came down in the morning, and a number of runners were withdrawn with hypothermia.  When I reached the 95 mile checkpoint, I was shivering uncontrollably, and when I was handed a cup of hot tea, I was shaking so badly that I spilled it over everybody around me.  The checkpoint captain fashioned me a makeshift jacket out of a bin bag, and said “you have got just five more miles to do, keep running and you will stay warm”.  As the pep talk continued, he kept repeating the phrase “five more miles”.  That checkpoint captain might just have made the difference. 

A month ago I was in the Winter 100, which had challenging weather conditions, and a horrendous dropout rate.  I found myself running with a girl, who had never done anything longer than 37 miles before.  She was full of fight, but was getting phased the fact that more experienced runners were retiring in droves.  I threw every trick in the book at her:

Finishing my first 100 miler was the most amazing experience of my life (it was by the way). 

It is going to get light soon

You are obviously over the worst of it in terms of conditions 

All those people surrendered their race medal for a bacon sandwich, tomorrow you would regret not finishing, but you wont think “oh god I wish I had quit earlier and got that cup of tea”

This race has a 40/50/60% DNF rate, finishing it will be a significant scalp

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I have to agree Ben. Ironically so much of a 100 is in the head. Obviously your legs do pay a sort too mind! I've never had anyone crew any of my events. Possibly cos my best mate usually runs them with me and we have three small children.

I personally think the beat support a crew can give is mental. If I think back to last years thames100 in the second half the food ans nutrition seemed to take care of itself cos I only really wanted hot soup and energy bars. O knew ny dad was find to be at Abingdon and despite it being thoroughly awful weather just seeing him lifted me right up and back out of the checkpoint. The smiley face, simple words of encouragement and moral support was a massive boost!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thank you all for your responses. I've asked her what she expects and have copied over the advice so that she can also look at it.

• Options

Any tips for pacers? This will be my first venture over 50 miles and I've been lucky enough to have four volunteers for pacers from Henley onwards. I think it will be a massive boost for me and they are keen to be a part of this. Has anyone else been through Marlow and the surrounding areas, its totally flooded? Hope all the training is going well!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Here's a good start. Amusing too image

Part 1 http://footfeathers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/how-to-be-ultra-pacer.html

Link to part 2 and 3 are on the page.

• Options

Cheers WiB that is awesome. I'll send it on to my pacers and let them know what they're in for.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    As well as a bit of a joke all the main points are in there. Let them know what you expect from them, make sure they are equipped for conditions and have some fun!