Options

Great South Run 2011

Comments

• Options

Hello All,

I will be running my second GSR this year, last year I was a bit naughty and took someone elses place, but this year I'm in as me!!

I ran it with my girlfriend last year and had felt really terrible the night before/in the morning so it was a slog at 1hr 34m.

I'm hoping from somewhere near the 1hr 20m mark this year, I've done a few half marathons since and have come through 10 miles in around that time.

If anyone is interested, the GSR is good training for the Gosport Half Marathon, which is less conjested and a really nice race.......

Cheers

Rich

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hey Rich!

Good luck with the training! I'm sure that you're well on track for the 1hr 20! When is the Gosport Half Marathon?

I'm still trying different fueling strategies for my runs so tend to have quite a few bad nights/early mornings at the moment. I can safely conclude that Lucozade in any quantity will make me throw up and give me awful stomach cramps and Tropical flavour energy gel from powerbar is disgusting image

Good luck and see you on the start line!

• Options

EMMA-BUG

I feel fine.More running this week-clubnight-6miles,sat 13miles plus bike ride and swim & gym.you. will you go on facebook soon.

• Options
    I was vaguely thinking about Gosport if I have the energy as a few members of my running club are doing it.  Does it sell out quickly or is it a race that you can sign up for on the day or at least a few days before?  I'd like to get Cologne and the GSR out of the way before I make a decision.
  • Options

Hey Emma,

Sorry for the delay with replying!

The Gosport Half is November 20th, so it gives people a few weeks to press on. I always use half marathon training schedules anyway as it is a great distance - I've just got to go the full marathon and I'm hoping to do that next year. Gosport closes on the 14th I believe, so you got plenty of time to JUST DO IT Hellywobs image

Another good warm up is the Denmead 10k as it has a few inclines without being big hills etc, good training for the flat GSR. It is the week before mind you, but I like to do one last big race before the reduced miles week.

Regards fuel, I'm a Gatorade man - it is not full of sugar and artificial stuff like the Powerade and Lucozades..... and its not as sickly! I only use it though if I'm running over an hour - otherwise I tend to break my meals into 6 smaller ones a day with a good level of carbs, proteins and fats - stopping around 2hrs before I run (although I run fasted at 5am a lot too....)

I've used www.fitday.com to get my diet sorted, its worth a look as its free and can help focus the mind lol

• Options

Emma-bug

If anyone want to do a SPEEDYBREAR MAD RUNS from Isle of Wright Round The Iland next year.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks Speedy! What distance are you mad runs? and when?

As for facebook - i'm on there quite a lot but whenever i open chat it crashes my browser so i cant use it!

• Options

I'm looking for a place in this event as my boyfriend will be running in it so if anyone has a place that they are no longer able to use then I would be very happy to take it off your hands.  image

Thanks

Nicky

• Options
    Im doing this one again 3rd year running, be a nice warm down from Ironman Wales 11/9/11 and also doing Gosport 1/2. Nice end to the year. Always look forward to GSR
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wow Mark! You're doing an ironman as well?! I'm very jealous! It's one of my "goals" to aim for.

My training is going "ok" - I'm a little worried about a niggle in my left calf - but am trying to do enough "stretching" to resolve it in time.

• Options
    Emmy, do you have a foam roller? Best 16 quid I've ever spent!!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Foam Roller?... i'm presuming that you're talking about something different than something you'd use with paint?.... can you link me to what you have?
  • Options
    Got mine from Amazon, if you go on there and search 66Fit Foam Roller, it should come up. Youd have a jopb painting with it though image
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Richard - you're right - it might not the best thing for painting!
  • Options

Although coverage would be great!!!

Once you get it, start slowly on the ITB, its a killer but after a week or so it eases off...........

• Options
    This will be my 1st proper race! Although i am doing a 10k in a couple of weeks as a warm up. I started running at the end of april and didn't expect to enjoy it as much as i have just wish now that i'd started a few years ago!

Not really got a time in mind as i'll be pretty happy just to finish. My mum and one of her friends are also running although i'm not sure if i'm actually going to run with them as they go a bit too slow for me!

I'm looking forward to the challenge, it'll either be fun or like hell! As for training i've had a few slight injuries but alls been good for a couple of weeks, managed to do a 7 mile run this week without too much difficulty which gave me hope. I was going to run barefooted but I think i'll be running it in my Vibram Fivefingers as my feet aren't going to be up to the distance by then. Next year i'm aiming for a marathon as my mate bet me £150 i couldn't so one before i was 30!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi RTTB!

Good luck for the training! I'm sure that you'll find someone with your pace during the race. I think most of the races that i've ran in the UK - i've ran with someone that i've met on the starting line!

How do you find the Vibram fivefingers? I've been looking at getting a pair myself!

What a great bet! What marathon are you training for?

• Options
    Hi Emmy_bug

I love my fivefingers! not 100% sure i'd have kept running if i hadn't bought them as i've always had dodgy knees from years of skating and snowboarding. It takes time for your feet to strengthen which means low mileage but that was fine for me as i'd just started running. At 1st i swapped between barefoot and the vibrams but as i've needed to get my mileage up i've moved just to the vibrams (although after the GSR i am going to go back to BF to try and build that side up again)

I'd like to do the Virgin London Marathon but i know its hard to get into and i've missed next years ballot so going to look elsewhere. just seen one in Milton Keynes which is close to me so might enter that. I've got 2 years will my 30th but i'd like to get this bet out the way as soon as possible so i can just run for fun!
  • Options

RTTB I'd say you'll be find if you can run 7-8 miles, you wont need to do distance to finish it. You will love the buzz and the music on the way round, it is a great experience.

You should book in the Gosport Half a month later, keep the focus going, which 10k are you doing?

Edit* of course by find I meant fine!

• Options

BTW - for marathon, I'm thinking Edinburgh? Looks like a good course.

Also, if you are near Milton Keynes then you cannot be far from Wokingham? A really good half marathon there around Feb 13th........

• Options
    Cheers for the advice Richard,

I live in Northamptonshire so Gosports a bit of a trek, only doing the GSR because my mum was already signed up so could share the travel costs.

I might have a look into that Wokingham half though, would be a good warm up for whatever marathon i end up doing. The guy i made a bet with wants me to do the Amsterdam marathon as its on his birthday, the biggest problem being that i'd have to be in the dam the night before the run with all my mates and i'm not sure thats the best idea if i want to finish it! I figure i've got some time to decide so i'll wait and see how i get on with training over the cold winter months!
  • Options
    Look at it as a double challenge with an excellent reward!!! 1) to resist beer etc for a night. 2) to earn beer over 26+ miles.

The reward will be exceptionally good....... Can I come lol???
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I can thoroughly recommend Wokingham half. I did it as a "birthday treat" in 2008 and got a PB! Fantastic course!

I'm trying to plan my race calendar for next year and am having a similar issue.

• Options

You're going to Amsterdam as well...............?

Lets all do Wokingham and go for a massive roast afterwards lol!

• Options
    The beautiful thing for me is that every race i do will be a PB! I plan on never doing the same distance twice so that i'm always setting new records! I think i'm going to wait till after the GSR before deciding my next race, someone mentioned silverstone half but i figure it'd be pretty boring just running round the track.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

A friend of mine ran Silverstone in preparation for London and the biggest issue she had was the wind across the track. It really hammered her and she didnt like it.

I've had some bad news today - my mum (who i was running with) has had some real problems with her sciatica in her back for the past week and has been advised to slow up running for the next month image So we'll see how she gets on in the coming weeks. It's sad as she's been preparing so hard for it image

• Options

Ah Emmy, that sucks!!!!

I'd get her to try the foam roller, gently of course, as it may help her.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

You're a real seller for the foam roller!! image She's got some special exercises from the physio but is in a lot of pain at the moment. I just feel a little bad as i'm the one that was encouraging her to run!

I'm keeping everything crossed!!

• Options

Yeah people at work say I'm a seller for the foam roller, honestly, I'm not getting any commission!!!

I'm also very found of the odd Anita Bean recipe lol!

I guess they have been through all the checks with her shoes etc, has she has a gait check and running analysis?

Fingers crossed for her, there is nothing like the buzz of running but on the flip side, there is nothing more depressing than an injury stopping you running!!

• Options
    I was thinking about doing Wokingham next year too!