Options

Great South Run 2011

191011121315»

Comments

• Options

God jellybabies are terrible, its like chewing a piece of rubber. Try the Gu chomps, they are really easy to chew/swallow. He also has a few gels, SIS, High 5 etc.

He does a line called More Mile, I got some compression socks from him that have been good - some of the kit looks nice.

I think the masterplan is to rival Alexandra as there is no running shop in Gosport or Fareham and Toby at Alton is cleaning up everywhere else!! When you consider how many runners Gosport and Stubbies have, he should do very well out of it.

The 10k will start around Stokes Bay I believe and run up to Lee as you dont need to go on road at all that way. He mentioned how well Pebbles and the other cafe might do out of it, a win win for Gosport really.

• Options
    gosport 10k sounds just up my street so to speak.

v. impressed with the bare foot running. Have a pair of vibrams which I love, but to actually risk life, limb and sole of foot is a total other dimension
  • Options

Wow fantastic you barefoot people - very impressed! It's something I'm keen to do - only done 1/2 mile barefoot so far, but now the GSR is over I want to concentrate more on it. I think it's the key to helping my old arthritic knee!! Not sure whether to do vibrams first or just do barefoot very slowly - any thoughts anyone?

I'm aiming to do the Jersey HM in just over 2 weeks so thought I'd do 12 miles this weekend and then 10 next weekend with pilates and short runs inbetween - does this sound manageable?

I managed to eat a few jellybabies last weekend and even had a short gulp of water, but I'm a bit like Shelagh and tend to choke etc when running - not good LOL! However, just invested in a High5 gel belt, just hope it goes small enough to fit me or I'll have to get the sewing machine out........

Isn't it lovely to have lighter mornings again even if it is just for a while image

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    barefoot I did 1.38.14, feet are fine now, wore my old beaten up shoes on tuesday race and they had no problems.  I have always had problems blisters burning feet etc etc !
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options

Hi Jelly, sounds good to me - I'm also doing 12 this week and 10 next prior to the Gosport Half.

I've now got my marathon training plan, start 1st Jan, I've got a few races in there and possibly one abroad in The Hague!!!

Exciting stuff.imageimage

• Options
    Chownsie - which marathon was it that you had entered was it Paris?
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Chownsie - the Hague is a great place to run. Very friendly people!

What is everyone else doing after the GSR? Relaxing after the triumph or working towards something new?

• Options
    Emmy - I'm planning on doing the GSR next year and the Votwo Kamikaze runs but the main goal I've set is the New Forest Marathon. I'm not sure how realistic that is but we'll see how it goes. I've also got a long charity cycle ride in May so I need to train for that as well.

What about you?
  • Options
    Having got around the GSR I'm having a couple of weeks off then looking for a new challenge maybe going up to my first half marathon. I'm thinking about Silverstone in March has anyone done that one?
  • Options

I am trying to get over my cold,

doing gosport half in a few weeks

I have not done silverstone, wonder how many laps you have to do?

• Options

Hi Neil and Zoe, 

My boyfriend and his friend ran Silverstone in 2010 and they really did not enjoy it.

Boring course, no crowd support, and incredibly windy on the track. And a nightmare to get in and out off. It wasn't laps - you started on the track and ran around the surrounding roads.

This was in 2010 though, might have improved in 2011...

I am entered in Reading on the 1st April - my debut half marathon! My bf did Reading this year and he loved it, so convinced me to enter image

• Options

I had heard that silverstone was not all that from all the reasons you had listed,

I plan to hopefully do portsmouth half in feb, never done it before

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up perhaps I'll have a look at some others around that time, maybe Reading sounds a possible.
  • Options
    I found the GSR really hard but maybe because I was running rather fast for me - my tme was 1:21:28.

I've had a gentle week with two 4 mile runs. My plans for 2012 include the Lakeside Canal 8.2 miles if it happens, the Wokingham Half, the Olympic Park 5 miler as I got a place, the Parkinsons 10k at Highclere Castle, the Hook 6 miler, Yateley 10k, New Forest 10 and no doubt a few more besides.

@Neil - you could also consider the Fleet Half which is on 25th March - I'm not doing it as my other half is, so need to look after son, hence why I am doing Wokingham. Reading is very big and expensive but lots of people I know do it as an alternative to Fleet.
  • Options
    Thanks for that I've signed up for the bath Half in march, then will probably do something else before coming back to the GSR next year.

Good running everyone whatever your doing in the next year.
  • Options

Hi Si48 and Emmy,

Si, I am running Paris in April - are you in? image

Thanks Emmy - that is good to know, I'm looking forward to that one.......!

I'm now fully paid up for;

Gosport Half - Nov

Stubbington 10k - Jan

Chichester 10K - Feb

Wokingham Half - Feb

The Hauge Half - Mar

Paris - April

Will also do a few more this side of Christmas and a X Country or two in the new year leading up to Paris.

• Options

Wow Chownsie you're soooo organised!!!

I'm aiming to do the Jersey HM later this month, then the only other run I'm aiming at is the Lisbon HM in March -my sister lives near there so it'll be a holiday as well (and cheaper!).

On Sunday I did a PB for the 10km (50.30), but now have to go and do a long run before the local HM on 20th Nov.

Would still like to try XC - there's a 4-5 mile one here at the beginning of Dec.

Shame I can't get to the UK more - but too expensive image

Debating about Venice marathon next year to celebrate the half century B'day - plus my husband would love to go to Venice (and not do any running!!).

• Options

very organised chownsie

I am doing

Gosport half Nov

Portsmouth RNLI santa race Dec 10k

Stubbington Jan 10k

Romsey Jan 5 miles

Portsmouth half (maybe) Feb

Winchester 10k Feb

Exbury gardens March 10k

Eastleigh 10k March

July 62 miles for trailwalker accross the southdowns non-stop, its walking 

• Options

Hey Jelly,

I'd go over to the Paris 2012 forum and speak with tartan, RR and ATM in reference to Venice as they went out this year - a lot of bridges apparently.

So, you cannot be tempted into Paris, get the hubby to treat you, while you complete the big M?!

Zoe, to be fair, that is more organised than my organisation imageimage

• Options
    Hi Zoe,

Have you done the Romsey 5 mile before? what's the standard like?

Don't want to do a little event if I'm going to miles behind everyone (Pb for 6K is 58:54) but like to do Romsey as I'm local.
  • Options

Yes I have done romsey before, its 3 laps of broadlands which sounds awful doing laps but its not that bad and those that come to see you get to see you lots!

its a mixture of some club runners but alot like myself you dont belong to a club, you should do it as its a nice flat course, on cencept sport are the results from last year you could look at

• Options
    Well that's some nice full calendars people have there, as for me, after a practice ride on Saturday brought home to me how much better everyone else was than me I think the running is going to have to go on the backburner or I'll embarass myself come May. Still targeting the New Forest Marathon in September though just put off the serious training till May.

It's been good getting to know people a bit as part of GSR 2011 now that's past what do people think about setting up a Facebook group to keep the motivation / support / advice going on?

• Options
    I am on face book, runners world do have a page but it tends to be lots of adverts rather than people motivating and encouraging each other
  • Options
    Thanks Zoe I think I'll have a go at that. Don't really like laps (did the whipsnade 10K and really didn't like it) but think as it's so local I'll give this a go and try not to be last image
  • Options
    I have looked at results, some people cam in at 1 hour 5 minutes so I cant see you being last, and the laps are really not that bad!
  • Options

Si48 - yes I've really enjoyed the support from people on this thread - thanks to Emmy-bug for setting it up initially would be good to continue as well - I'm on FB as well, but never used the RW one.

Chownsie - would love to do a full marathon (last one probably 17 years ago!), but I think April is too soon and don't feel prepared enough. Would like to do one in the autumn which gives me the summer to prepare - psychologically easier to run! I'm still a bit wary of the IT band issues recurring again - all well at the moment though!  If I've had problems once am I more likely to have them again or will use of beloved foamie  (& stretching etc) keep me free of problems - any ideas?

Anyone watch the Food hospital on Tuesday - turkey is really good for endurance etc - better than chicken (and cheaper) you just need to eat it about 3 times a week for the benefits to be felt. They're using it in the British Institute of Sport for the 2012 atheletes.....

Half marathon on the 20th for me!!! image

• Options
    I saw a small bit of Food Hospital this week, I saw that next week they are analysing the benefits of sports drinks which should be interesting.

I thought it was rather surprising that they could sort out a child's psoriasis so well that he was discharged by Great Ormond St, just by changing his diet. You'd have thought if it was that simple the hospital would have done it.

It's Simon Cowlard for a FB add if anyone is interested

Good luck for the half marathon on the 20th Jelley and to anyone else running this weekend.

• Options

Hi Jelly,

I think with foam rollering and stetching (do you live near an ASDA as they sell cheap stretch bands) will keep you free from the ITB issue, I'm going for spring to make sure I train hard through winter.

Today I will be making/eating my bulk chilli, made with Turkey mince - which serves me about 3 portions for a week image 

What time do you go off for your half on 20th?

• Options

Hi Chownsie,

sadly we don't have Asda over here - but I have found vivomed on line medical supplies who had some really cheap bands so I bought a roll of that - I paid the same amount as you woudl for one of those Dynabands but got a whole rollimage My son uses it for his workouts for surfing so it's done well! Thanks for the info though - I'll keep stretching and rollering.....

The half starts at 9.00 next week, so it's an really breakfast but the start is only 10 mins in the car from my home so no problems.

As Si says the Food hospital next week should be interesting re sports drinks....

They said last week that short term use of high dose Vit C could be beneficial but long term use not so good; also that if you ate well there should be no need for vitamins anyway. I knew that anyway but I wish they had done some research on glucosamine.......

jemma jelley on FB if anyone is looking - well spotted Zoe! Logo is a give away I suppose!! image 

• Options
    Yes thought it must be you with that picture!