Options

wannabe ultra runner?

Comments

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    I've still never got around to doing Croydon !

LL50 would be a nice one I agree.

I wouldn't mind an LDWA around Aug time in SE if you find any nice ones image

I've got all four centurion 50s this year . I'll probably do RTTS 100k in July too . Thought about doing R86 but it would only leave me 2 weeks to recover for the 3rd Centurion run & I can't guarantee being fully recovered in 14 days after 86 miles :- /

Will likely leave it until next year .
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Will be nice to hear a report on Comrades image
  • Options

Sounds like a nice set of runs, loulabell. I would have loved to do the four Centurion 50s this year. Oh well. I signed up for this CTS one because I do prefer to run trails, not roads. I suppose I could look at RTTS.

Good luck for good weather for SDW50 (we did have lovely weather for the first thre hours) - and I'll let you know if I find a nice LDWA event in the southeast during August. And no, expecting to be recovered for a 50-miler 14 days after an 86-mile might be asking a bit much! Although someone in my club is entered for all four Centurion 50-milers PLUS all four 100 milers...

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Yikes that's a big challenge !!

I did RTTS last year & really loved it . No time pressure either so you really can enjoy the event image

Let me know if you decide to do it image
  • Options

Not sure about the events you mantion in England- there are some great Ultras in Scotland.

Great Glen ultra is the 72 miler I was looking at, and the Glenmore 24 hours race seems oddly worth a look.

Pleased with my efforts today- managed a 17 mile LSR 1 week after the D33- a personal best as far as race recovery goes- I just hope it doesn't come back and haunt me later, injury- wise, as I've a few niggles I'm just nursing through to the taper.

• Options

Finished yesterday (33.7 miles official, but my Garmin said just under 34.2) in 6:42:30 - not too bad considering how out of practice I am at that sort of trails - I've not been out on NDW, SDW or similar since 2013! Quads feeling rather trashed today.

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Well done Debra , 6:42 not bad at all !
  • Options

Good going tricialitt - hope the niggles ease off for you.

Well done Debra, that's great running. Did you enjoy the race?

Great weekend for me at Hardmoors 55. It's a tough as old boots course, but really enjoyed it and finished in 13:53 (quite considerably better than my 15 hour schedule!). Training for a 100 is obviously doing me good!

How did everyone else get on? carterusm? booktrunk - did you make the start?

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Awesome image well done LNandB

Nope: Didn't make it. fuming at my asthma...  Struggled to do 5km yesterday haha two weeks of no running and 5k very slowly nearly killed me, gutted image  it sounds like you had an awesome race image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

BT - unlucky, maybe next time.

Tricialitt - great stuff so soon after your race, you must be in good shape.

Debra - well done indeed, it must feel great to be back.

LNandB - terrifically well done. What a brutal route that was, especially the climb after Scugdale and then the 3 sisters. After a bit of investigating I can remember seeing you a few times in the early miles and we kept passing each other, although I didn't realize it was you at the time. You should feel proud to finish that race and it is great preparation for L100.

I had to pull out at Clay Bank (34 miles) as my ITB decided to pack up after that climb up Carlton Bank. I then had to walk about 4 miles over the 3 sisters and my knee was getting worse and worse, it took me about 2 hours to cover those 4 miles and the descents in places were really hard going. I'm absolutely gutted as I was going really well; at Osmotherley checkpoint (22 miles) I was about 25 minutes ahead of my plan and feeling pretty good. Back to the drawing board...

• Options

Very bad timing booktrunk. Hope the asthma sorts itself out quickly and you can get back on track.

Sorry to hear you had a bad run carterusm. It is definitely a tough run, especially the patch from Osmotherley to Clay Bank where the climbs, and perhaps worse, the descents, just keep on coming. Hope you recover quickly.

• Options

Hi, can anyone advise me - looking at the qualification for the UTMB and it states 9 points (15 new points). What does it mean by "new points"?

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

15 points in the new scheme they are bringin in. the gnurlier the event the more the points,.. Or some such rubbish image

• Options

Ah thanks booktrunk. Will check out the new scheme. Cheers

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Just staggering out of bed after running the "fling" ( Hoka Highland fling to give it it's full name). Fantastic race- 53 miles of the west Highland way, Milngavie to Tyndrum. THe vast majority is on hilly/ undulating trail, with a lochside section that is so reomte that you have to either take a boat, or drive about 90 miles to it. Features of the race include: Wild goats ( which smell terrible), Cow- poo alley ( as it sounds!- treacherous underfoot after abtou 45 miles), a red-carpet finish, bottle of bubbly in the finish bag, beer and ceilidh at the finish line.

I had a great day- the last 12 miles or so were a struggle, but happy now, set a PB, didn't come last, and no chafing, toenails all still attached.....................bring on the next one!

• Options

tricialitt, well done you! Sounds amazing.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Well done Tricia image great running 

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Hey Tricialitt that's fab ! I followed it on FB in between tracking people on TP100! Glad you had a great run !

I did Sdw 3 weeks ago , a fabulous route , I too have all my toenails , no blisters & a new 50 mile PB image

Roll on ndw 50 in 2 weekends image
  • Options

Very well done tricialitt, and loulabell as well for SDW.

Hope everyone else's training is going well. I have been in an injury induced sulk for the past few weeks. Tried to get back into things too quickly after the Hardmoors 55 and upset my knee/ITB in a big way. I've been having lots of physio and doing lots of strengthening and now easing back into the running carefully. Really hoping I can still make the start line for the Lakeland 100...

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

LNandB good luck!

my knee turns out to be torn cartlidge, and hospital have given me strengthening exercises, and will just have to see how it goesimage I can still plod along but it seems to have effected my already slow pace.

I managed to plod around London, and I did Milton Keynes day 8 days later (Monday), so I just think of them as nice slow training runs image 

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Continuing the injury trend I, too, knackered my ITB again at HM55. Went to the physio who told me that due to no stretching ever I am rather tight all over. My knees are also weak and out of alignment so my knee sticks out, starts rubbing against the ITB and results in friction and then pain. So, a program of stretches and my knee seems fine, so far. However, doing these stretches I appear to have pulled my calf which is rather painful when running. Struggling to get beyond 5 miles at the moment so looks like I will have to get the bike out.

Well done tricialitt and loulabell

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    I want to swear, I'm having a crap ultra year. Two fillings fell out at the weekend, got an emergency appointment yesterday, and the put temp fillings in but I have only been eating soup since Monday. Now my jaw is all infected and swollen and I'm on antibiotics.

Walking is bloody painful at the moment... I've no idea if it will clear up for Saturday
  • Options

I have been running for over 4 years now, sometimes seriously but most of the time I am just happy to plod along. I have just turned 50 and have decided now is he time to do something special. 

I am going to do the jogle, end to end in 18 days (that's the target). This is an independent run so need to work the logistics out as well. I reasonably regularly run 15-18 rural miles of rolling country and pace it out at a fairly steady 6 mph. I tend to run these distances about twice a month but generally run between 6-12 about x3 a week. i have never run more than this so no marathons or ultras but am looking at a year to train.

i am after any advice, training, gear, route, diet, anything you guys can share.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

So how is everyone doing....

I'm not running far enough, and i'm eating to much. image

On Monday started properly dieting hate the idea of it but need to get myself under control again.  (Mind you i've told myself it doesn't really count over the bankholiday weekend, hehe)

Had lots of problems with my knee, I've been lazy since doing two marathons at the end of April / Beginning of May. I'm sure my knee is getting better and i've been lazy doing a lot of running on a treadmill as I thought that was helping it, but decided now it doesn't so just getting my arse back outside more image

Dumped the gym membership, got a turbo trainer sorted. So on days i'm not running i can sit on the bike in the garden for 30+ minutes, must be better than doing nothing image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Good Luck Del2

Have you planned your route, If so how far is it. As it can vary quite a bit can't it?

18 days seems bloody quick. I am probably completely wrong but thought it was around 850 miles, which would be 47 miles each n every day. That seems a bit of a jump from 13-18 miles a couple of times a month image

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Hello image could I have some friendly advice / encouragement / kick up the backside please? I am doing my first ultra starting on 11th June. It's the Cotswold Way 100 mile Challenge which is 4 days of trail running (17 miles, 28, 27, 33). I have been following the training schedule that the organisers posted on the website until I picked up a hip niggle about a month ago. My hip is fine when I walk (even up to 5hrs day hike with a pack) but a 30min jog on soft grass aggravates it. Given that this ultra describes itself as "run, walkwalk, stagger or crawl" along the route, can I legitimately walk the whole thing? Is there anything I can do in the fortnight before the event that will make any difference? Strength training? Cardio other than running? I don't feel at all confident about this race and I'm worried that I'm not fit enough for it. I'm not sure if my concerns are genuine or if it's a case of "taper wobbles". Any advice please? Thanks so much.
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

It might not be elegant, but if you look at their cut offs for each day and think that you can go at that pace with a decent walk then go for it image

What can you do... honestly not a lot of extra training with only 2 weeks to go it will take probably that long to get any benefits of working extra hard each day, and frankly you want to be relaxed and fresh not knackered from 2 weeks hard work when you get to the start line.

• Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Thanks Booktrunk. I've looked at the timings and I should be ok so long as I don't get lost. Feel a bit of a failure planning on walking the whole thing but I don't really want to risk aggravating my hip so maybe that's the best strategy. Thanks image
  • Options

Hey Booktrunk, thanks for the response.

i have been plotting my route which is nowhere near finalised as there are a lot of logistical issues to work through not least trying to get a fairly standard daily distance. I would definitely agree that it is a significant step up in distance and the physical conditioning I need to achieve feels a long way off. But I am gradually increasing the distances I am running though struggling a bit to increase the number of runs I can fit in my schedule.

The more I try to arrange it and train for it the shorter 18 days seems, but that's the dream, any advice would be gratefully received.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

pig you are on Facebook.... Follow this https://www.facebook.com/TLWD2016/?fref=nf

it's group of mad ultra runners, pretty uch running it off road over June, they are going to cover around 1,200 miles in the month. That will probably give you a lot better idea.