Options

Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Better than fantastic OO - it was awesome - and well out of sync with your marathon PB. Either you are slacking on the long runs, or this really is your niche.

Chapeau Monsieur! image

Am dreading saying goodbye to my girls. OK, they are only 14 and 15 now, but it's coming.... Youngest did her longest run yestwerday - 15K - and said it was easy. The gait analysis and new shoes on Friday were well spent and she seems en-route to finishing her first HM in 13 days time. Somewhat proud...

Still got everything crossed for you DV. Did my last long run before Berlin, 22K this morning. Not feeling up for it.

• Options

Paris is my first marathon too! eeek!

Very scared but very excited! Looking forward to all the advice from the seasoned marthon-ers

• Options
  • Options

Green light.

Starting the A2A run tomorrow (Tuesday) at 4:30am...   image

• Options

OO - wow impressive stuff!!

Yeahhh DV 4.30am OMG good luckimage

Betsy - if you want to let me have your bib number I will add you to our list of runnersimage  Paris was my first marathon too.. you will love it..

TD - blimey must run in the family (hoho).. good luck to young Ms TD!!

Another couple of weeks of Ms NGUG for us we take her down to Warwick on 1st October sack loads of dried pasta, baked beans and pots and pans all bought now ....

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good luck DV...

NGUG, I'm surprised the Warwick strat is so much later.

And I can't believer your teenage girls can run a Half Marathon- is it legal to enter a race so young in Belgium. Very talented in any case... 

• Options
    Good luck DV!!!
  • Options

NGUG: my bib number is 50828. I'm a Pink of course image

If I were to book a holiday around it, as I've never been to France just a few days sightseeing etc, would you guys suggest before or after...? I feel like I'm gonna be dead to the world for a week after?! haha

You are all so inspiring! I'm glad I joined!

• Options

Paris Marathon 2012

Blue
    12855  DomN

Green
    32522 Suzy M
    32918 ATM
    33036 Mrs DomN
    33128 Road King
    33294 NGUG

Pink
    50828 BetsyJohnson
    51015 pixelwitch
    51180 Roof Gimp
    51744 yer_maj
    51867 Smilesxx

Duly added Betsyimage

OO - a few more weeks of home cooking... most of her friends are going this weekend so they do seem a bit staggered.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Bonjour! <-- See that? I knew that O level would come in handy a mere 4 decades later...

Well, it's lovely and sunny, here, in Paris. Fantastic news, DV. Get your arm-bands on and give it welly. I hope I get to welcome you in person but tartan and I will have the celebratory meal tomorrow night just in case.

Welcome to the thread , Betsy.Y ou 'll have a ball. I think I' d go for the holiday, afterwards image. I seem to remember Howey doing the whole 'tour' thing..up and dwn the Eiffel Tower etc.. before his first run and deciding, afterwards, that it hadn't been his best idea. *H, how are you?*

• Options
    Betsy - I did the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre last year afterwards... as ATM says not a good idea to do too much the day before LOLimage 
  • Options
    I did the Arc and Eiffel the day after this year - great for recovery image
  • Options
    Betsy, I reckon the most important thing to do in somewhere like Paris is to have a sit down in a cafe with a coffee and a nice pastry. And its even something that can be done before as well as afterwards! Or that's what I reckon, and plan to do anyway..  :- D
  • Options
    For anyone wanting to stalk DV from 4:30am onwards, you can follow him on the race tracker here , leave a message that will be passed on to his team here  and, of course, empty your pockets/bank account into here  image
  • Options

Good Luck DV.

+1 for an ascent of the Arc post race, also a hot dog from the van at L'Etoile.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Betsy, it's all about the post-race stuff.

Go, DV! *It's great, being able to follow him...And not at all creepy.Oh, no...image*

• Options

Morning all!! 

O&O:  fantastic time you speedy thing you, was thinking of you as I struggled on sunday.!!  Probably a reaction to saying goodbye to young Miss O&Oimage.

DV:  Keep on running laddieimage.

Well I had the worst run for a long while on sunday, was raining, windy and for some very obscure reason I chose an exceptionally hilly route.  Was supposed to do 15 but stopped at 12 as totally knackered and saw no point in continuing.  Mr PF came and got me, and then spent rest of day in pj's on sofa as my world kept spinning every time I moved.  Not nice.  Am starting to feel better may try a trott this evening - only 5 miles due but if not better won't be going anywhere.  Have a virus (according to quack) - not pleasant!!!!  Oh well 2 weeks to feel better at least all the hard works been done I supposeimage

• Options

Morning all

Paris Hotel booked this morning image I thought I had better get that sorted.

Slow run last night, forgot to put my ankle support on so it hurt.....physio today and a nice 5km jog tonight with Mrs RG.

I have printed off a 20 week training schedule and I also want to keep a log of what i do every week, it will make me get out and run if I see it on the wall............

Have a good day.

• Options

Go easy Fiona - we runners tend to be a bit driven and because a virus is not visible, it's easy to think we should just 'push through' with it. Rest up, no fitness gains to be had now before your race. Pick up some strength.

Looking forward to following DV on his adventures. Reckon he will have done about a marathon and a half by now... just warming up then.

OO - yes, I think they can join in from age 14 for the HM. We've not pushed her at all in training, no pressure on timings or anything like that. Just for fun and a sense of challenge. Honestly, I think she is attracted by the possibility of having her own medals.

• Options
    TD:  I know - will only be trotting this evening, nothing strenuous at all and I know that friend I'm with won't mind if we end up walkingimage.  Am starting to feel better - although spinning stuff comes at me out of the blue - goodness knows what that's all about!!!  When you heading off to Berlin?
  • Options

DV has hit 50 miles of running. Almost there for a double marathon.  But more incredibly, he managed to be awake and out running by 0430 - IN THE MORNING! I need my beauty sleep more than he does.

• Options
    His secret is that he's fuelled by sausage rolls and rice pudding. Rocket fuel - who knew.

Tomorrow I have to go to Brussels for work, so I'll be under the Channel while DV's swimming it. It's a strange world...
  • Options

RR - I thought that the sausage rolls and rice pudding was unusual too - but then I am not an ultra endurance person.. phew DV 50 miles already go boy go!!!

• Options

RR - have a great time in Brussels. Day tripping?

So far, from re-compiling all the tweets, DV has eaten 15 sausage rolls, 4 McDonalds, 8 bacon butties, 3 mars bars and 212 jelly babies. Seems his strategy is to inflate himself and then float over the Channel. Hope the wet suit still fits!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Can't believe how far DV's run image He must have the Duracell gene..

I'm knackered just hanging about for the triumphant arrival. Only the small matter of him swimming on top of RR, tomorrow..* 'Strangely disturbing image, that...* and then the bike bit...

Actually, I'm beginning to forget that  a marathon is a bit of a challenge...!Last night's slow 10k, on planet Earth, hurt. Those new to the thread should remember that DV's not normal.image

• Options
    TD - yes, just a flying (well, tunnelling) visit.

I reckon now would be a good time to visit DV's live feed and make encouraging noises, if anyone's around.

http://pub38.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3187759048&frmid=98&msgid=834353&cmd=show (sorry - can't do proper link from phone)
  • Options

Send MESSAGES to DV here - he'll be given these by his support crew whilst in motion, so lift his spirit!

Actual progress being made can be TRACKED here - it shows the last 50 miles of the journey

Currently, he looks like he's got about 15 miles of running left to do and he's now in the outside lane of the M20. Crumbs.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Man on a Mission....  Nearly at Dover...

* Ach, I think DV's comfortable with his feminine side...image *

• Options
    Goodnight DV the tecnology has defeated me as I tried to leave a message.