Options

Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Welcome to the thread, all the new people. So, why this step now? How's your running been going so far? New to the marathon or new to the Paris Marathon?

Cool list, NGUG. * Congratulations to Ms. on passing her test. something else for you to worry about..We're off, tomorrow, too, with the bags full of electrical stuff and the inevitable wok. Chez ATM will house only 2 of us,again , for the first time in 29 years...*

• Options
    Hello all,

second time for me for Paris,

Green - 33128
  • Options

Am awfully envious to all those registered already, am doing VLM so won't be doing Paris and certainly don't have the capacity for both without total body failure!!!

Did my 7 easy yesterday, but had an awful "Paula" moment on the last mile and a half image not good at all. Have been suffereing from tummy bug since - nightmare!!!  Feeling drained so taking it easy for today and tomorrow before the 16 miler on sundayimage.  Proper taper starts next week, 5 tuesday, 7 Wednesday, 3 hills  Thursday,  then 10 sunday.

• Options
    Hi Princess Fiona,
    how do you know that you are in VLM 2012? you won't know until another month or so, unless you are GFA or deferred from last year.

thats why i went for Paris, as, although i have entered London 2012 as well, the likelihood of getting into London next year is very slight.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good idea, PF. You've got loads of miles behind you.A rest will do you good.

Hello, Roadking. The Green Pen's the place to be...image 

Jings.. The ' cheap' places were sold out on the first day. 

• Options

Have got my 20 week training schedule printed out, doesn't look too bad image

Do you have to send them a copy of the signed medical certificate or can you take it with you?

• Options

Don't worry about it Fiona - makes you a proper runner. Everyone has to 'make like a bear' eventually.

Roadking - I said the same as you and on my very first entry, got a ballot place for VLM, just after I applied and paid to do Paris. Thankfully they were two weeks apart.  I wouldn't do it again though.

Just got back from my running shoe shop - the guy who runs it is a genius. He did the gait analysis, put my running shoes on (one with 540km, the other 920kms). He said that the newer shoes were more worn out, especially on the right hand side and the forefoot. He thought I might be running 'twisted'.

I told him about my bike accident 12 weeks ago, all the damage to the right hand side, the painful sciatic nerve, the visits to the osteopath. He's fixed the shoes up with more cushioning on the forefoot and given me a couple of stretches to do for the Piriformis muscle (deep in the butt, stabilises the hip, but also presses down on the sciatic nerve when it's too tight).

Great to know that all the pain I've gone through is not imagined, but also good to know that I can take control of fixing myself up again. I've always felt going to this guy is like paying for good advice and getting a free pair of running shoes at the end of it (except this time I bought two new pairs!).

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Roof Gimp, you can take it with you but , from our experience, it's better to lodge it before and check , online, that it's been accepted.If it's rejected on the day....for whatever reason...it's too late to do anything about it.

* 'Lodging a copy and taking another with her. Can't stand the stress.....image *

• Options
    My GP is a git - he's likely to say  "You haven't been to see me for 20 years, how would I know if you're fit to run a marathon"...
  • Options

Because he hasn't seen you for 20 years, yer_maj!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice to know you are a pain in the butt Tricky. Perhaps we all knew that already image

Fi that's a bummer- literally. It once happened to me in a race....I'l spare you the details.

So so sad but I think good sense is to pass on Paris this year. Can I stay on the thread anyway?

9 miles tonight in a steady 8:30 pace. Last run before Sunday and the GNR. I'm starting 3 bays back from the front which I estimate is at least 5000 runners. So guaranteed a poor time but will be awfully good fun tearing through the crowd at the start. My estimate 1:25 for the half marathon image ...but lets see.

Sheffield tomorrow and a tearful farewell to OO junior.image

• Options
    Aw OO....I had a bad enough time when Master Maj started secondary school last week....!
  • Options

Jeez OO since when was running Paris a qualification for staying on the thread?!?!?  Loads of us have been here whatever we are doing... another two weeks for young Ms NGUG before she's off to Warwick good luck tomorrow..tissues at the handy..

Td - your shoe shop guy seems to have been v.reliable over the years.. nice to have someone who knows what they are doing..

Fi - had a similar thing myself re last weekends run... umm yes.. absolutely dreadful cramps but local pub was v. handy - they are great re facilities and filling up your water bottle too...

Will update the list in a min..

• Options

Paris Marathon 2012

Blue
    12855  DomN

Green
    32522 Suzy M
    32918 ATM
    33036 Mrs DomN
    33128 Road King
    33294 NGUG

Pink
    51015 pixelwitch
    51180 Roof Gimp
    51744 yer_maj
    51867 Smilesxx

• Options
    By 'eck we're an attractive sounding lot in the Pink pen....
  • Options

Thanks for all the words of wisdom - am feeling slightly (whispered) better today - no cramps!!  Only dog walking on the beach today prior to 16 tomorrow.

Road King:  have a charity place secured if not in ballot, (of so I've been told) but if both fall through will be Mont St Michel as is much easier for me to get to from Jerseyimage.

OO & NGUG: Ed off a week today, Mr PF dealing with that one.  Exciting times for all of themimage.  The one thing about doing lsr's here on jersey not many public loo's about - lots of fields though but oh boy - not going into too much detail, thursday was not a good, as no toilet or secluded spot in field in sight!!! Hey ho!!

TD:  I see that Paula is joining you at Berlin this year - dont forget to let her set the paceimage

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Paula could tell you a thing or two about toilet stops Princess.

Did our duty today- very sad but a nice room and exciting times ahead for young Miss OO.

Now let's concentrate on the run tomorrow- a 1000 things to prepare.... 

• Options
    very jealous of you all entering paris for next year...i won't be joining you this time around as it would be a bit much to do as #3 son will be about 6 weeks old in april so mrs stray/dm has said no travelling abroad - the mockers were put on boston also image

april next year will be vlm (if i get through the ballot) or manchesta if i don't - small matter of snowdonia to get through first though

@lr - nice dog btw - i still haven't got round to posting a photo of our two new border collies....
    @dv - haven't forgot about the sponsorship just keep forgetting - if that makes sense! any idea when you might set off?

• Options

Good Morning all..

Still no a2a start yet,..   weather is still too rough in the Channel..   it changes all the time, but the best guess so far is that I might run on Tuesday, for a swim on Thursday...   just have to wait for the phone call....

• Options
    Hello ATM-Paris will be my first ever marathon. I am excited but know it will be a big challenge! Any advice/tips greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    First marathon for me too, see you in the pink pen!!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You sound like the guy in Guiness advery DV waitiing for the right kind of wave image

Good conditions in the Great North Run today and a good time of 1:20:52. Went through 10k in 38:30 and 10 miles in 62. Then rounded it of with 3 * 6:05 for the last 3 miles. Not sure why I bother with marathons, should stick to what I'm good at!

• Options
    Stonking time O&O!!
  • Options

Well done OO.

Needless to say, didn't spot you on the TV. Glad you beat Nell McAndrew...

• Options
    well done oo a great time were you 156 or 157 overall?
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Oh, smilesxx, you'll be so sorry you asked for advice, here. You're gonna be buried in it....Very little will be about running ,though, so no worries.I bet you have a great time preparing for your marathon debut.Are you travelling alone or making a family holidqay of it? Any big races , leading up to it?

Great photo. Well done, OO! That's a fantastic time. Paris Half , for you?It really seems to be your distance.

Speaking of P, I'm off for a jaunt. Any more word, DV? I'm hoping I don't have to explain the Pirate flags in my case...I hope the weather clears up and you get an earlier start. i.e. could you fit the A2A round my schedule?image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

157 I think- call me Kevin!

• Options

Morning...   the weather window looks improved for later in the week...   therefore, might possibly start the run late tomorrow or early Wednesday, with the swim late Thursday or early Friday...  

ooo  getting closer...  image

• Options

OO..   fantastic result...  well done....  image