Options

Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    15West - you cannot defer but you can or could last year pay insurance in case you got injured/died etc. otherwise you are committedimage  It is a bit cheaper if you register in the first few weeks and then they put the prices up..
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Princess, we're having a family day in Sheffield this Saturday to send off young Miss OO on her exciting journey. Then I travel back and face the Great North Run on Sunday- busy w/end in prospect!

Great run Tricky- not the same woods where you got me lost- another beautiful moment!

Will I apply for Paris this week....? 

• Options

Well I've got my Mojo back after a really rocky few weeks.  Not a clue what was going on in the dark birds nest of my brain but I did the Cardiff 10k on Sunday and switched back on again.  All very strange....

TD, this stuck-at-24k thing that I have a mental block about....it started when I had my first dose of runners gut after a 24k LSR - I was lying on the bathroom floor for 3 hours feeling pretty damned sorry for myself.  Ever since then I've had The Fear.  Very silly I know.  Combined with a few months of stress about other stuff and running suddenly seeming like a chore along woith everything else.  But this morning I went out and did a 15k run in the howling wind and rain and loved every second of it - possibly the best run I have ever done as I remembered why I love it so much.

I'm def going to enter for Paris - 2 days to go...!  Cardiff Half in 5 weeks then I'm just going to have to HTFU about this 24k nonsense.

Sounds like you're all doing amazing stuff at the moment!

• Options

OO - no, not the Bois de la Cambre in the centre of Brussels, this was in the Zonienwoud or Forêt de Soignes to the SE of Brussels. Running through to the Parc de Tervuren before heading home. It's easy to find on Google Earth, a really magnificent place built by the evil King Leopold 1st, using wealth plundered from the Congo.

At a girl Yer_Maj. You show them running shoes who's boss! Sure you'll get over that 24K thingy before long, as soon as you have the proper incentive (signing up for Paris Mara) to do it!! And on that royal note, was I the only one to watch that programme on BBC1 last night about Royal Palaces, thinking that were a few too many gratuitous leg and crotch shots of Fiona Bruce?

I'm not saying she isn't "thinking man's crumpet", just that's the sort of thing I'd expect a cou[ple of channels down on the remote control.....

15West - great memories often cost something, so just jump in and do it. It's a great marathon.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Salut...

Yer_ Maj...You will have a fab time....

Forget the kms etc..It's just the loveliest way to see one of the lovliest cities in the world...*You're a big girl! You can cope with not winning..*.

It's flat....for the running snakes...

It's fun...Wow! So that''s what the Eiffel Tower looks like!...

Beer costs less than £20 a pint! * See,bonnie-but-dour, Scottish, threaders-on-the razzle-@ less-than'Paris-prices...*

Welcome to the Thread.,anyone- thinking- about- Paris. image

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)

It's fun...Wow! So that''s what the Eiffel Tower looks like!...

Assuming you do actually see the Eiffel Tower.................!

• Options
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

And on that royal note, was I the only one to watch that programme on BBC1 last night about Royal Palaces, thinking that were a few too many gratuitous leg and crotch shots of Fiona Bruce?

Yep...   you were probably the only one...   love her in this...

nice legs!

Personally..  I always preferred Natasha Kaplinsky....  image

• Options

Hi All - really thinking about doing Paris...i did have a VLM place but due to family issues and being away the wkend of the race i missed the deferal cut off by literally minutes,  it looks like I have lost my ballot place ( awaiting panel verdict but not holding out much hope  ).

To be honest i really like the fact the start and finish is in the same place and being able to just stroll from a hotel for the start and get away after...the nightmare of getting back to the excel after London 2010 was just horrific !! 

is this a fast course and is it as scenic as it looks from the map....to be honest london doesn't take in that many sights along the way !!

thanks in advance

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    hard to compare the two Glyn, I love the VLM for the organisation and the attachment I have as a Londoner by birth. But Paris is a real memorable race in a beautiful City. And of course the guys on this thread are a free extra....image 
  • Options
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

... a few too many gratuitous leg and crotch shots of Fiona Bruce?

I might try and find that on iPlayer. Obviously  I'm really into royal palaces, or whatever.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ah, there you are LR....
  • Options

Glyn - as long as you don't consider Paris by comparing to London, you can make a decision. Both places are so unique. But Paris is really memorable and a great experience to run round the city.

DV - thank goodness you didn't start on about Angela Rippon who must be about the same age as Michelle Pfeiffer I reckon. Howdo Rob.

Company open air pool closes today until next summer, so got my last swim in this morning. Air temp was 11C, water 27C. Nice. Now for a lunchtime run in the forest.

OO - loving the fact that ze Germans and the Japanese are having such a public divorce. Who could have predicted this relationship would have gone so badly?! (VW & Suzuki)

• Options

morning all, err I mean afternoonimage, time just flies at the moment!

TD:  can't believe only a couple of weeks until Berlin - wow that's gone so fast, sounds like you'll have a good time there and all good practise for New York!!!  November will be here before you know it.

DV:  you run starts on 16th - oh that's come round quickly.

NGUG:  Ed off to Uea a week saturday, Mr PF flying back to uk on thursday working in London then heads down to Ed.  Spoke ed and never thought I;'d hear him extolling the virtues of Cosco and his 3kg bag of porridge oats!!  Not sure whether he'll have any room in his room for his bed as will be full of food!!!!! 

OO:  enjoy your time in sheffield, has Ms OO signed up for lots of threshers activities, Ed seems to have a very long list of stuff - but more scary is the fact that "The Darkness" are playing Uea in October - very excited for some odd reason!!!  No accounting for taste and hopefully he'll grow out of it.

Did a speedy 5.25 miler (41 mins)  yesterday morning, then just under 6 yesterday evening, some more speed stuff this evening on the treadie, then an easy 7 tomorrow!!  Gentle 4 on friday night, followed by 16 on sunday, then taper begins to kick in next week!!!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes Princess young Miss OO has a busy schedule next week- she very excited and we are very sad. She is fairly fanatical about music but I doubt the Darkness are on her radar. 

Tricky not aware of the rift you mention- I'm not as savvy as you. The German position on Eurobonds is pretty interesting though, they stand to lose the most if this goes ahead.

GNR race number arrived today. I'm 3rd pen back from the front so will probably spend the first mile in heavy traffic- but never mind. Some spare parts also arrived in the post today for my Jukebox- amazing what you can order over the Internet.....  

• Options
    So long as they're not spare parts for you then that's good. 
  • Options

Morning....

And so...  we wait...  image

There could be a weather window for later on Sunday, which would mean starting the run later tomorrow....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image We wait, with scone....

DV, if you arrive before easyjet, could you dawdle around under the Arc for a while?image

Registration Top Tip.Since your forename/s will be printed on the Bib, perhaps you might want to leave off the six middle names your parents thought were a good idea...It's a bit of a challenge to the randon supporters who will call out for you.

• Options
    Does that mean that you can use a nickname for registration, or does it have to be the passport version of your name that you never actually use? Ah well. Will find out soon, I guess..
  • Options

hmmm...to register or not to register...that is the question?

How long usually do you get before price goes up?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Good question. I suppose you could put the nickname and the given names on your Medical Certificate to make the link with your passport.You'll have to produce both when you pick the bib up. * Shedloads of ' Zatopek' in the Green Pen, then...image *
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    15West, the difference between the tariffs will be peanuts compared to what your coffee bill will be....Just register and practise photosynthsizing over the next six months to cover costs.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    pixelwitch, I've just looked at the registration form...online but not active yet...and you CAN choose what goes on the Bib. *The 'default' is your forename/s. * Are you having pixelwitch?image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I hope you don't actually have any work to do, today, NGUG.

Green

32918  ATM

• Options

Wow, that was tortuous! A billion people repeatedly hitting 'refresh' seems to slow things down!

Blue 

12855 DomN

Green

32918 ATM

33036 Mrs DomN

• Options

Ha ha. No. I wasn't going to use Pixelwitch. Its just an online handle for me. I just fancied being Penny rather than Penelope.

Bit worried though that you say you can see the registration form.  When I click on "Register Online", I just get a window come up saying "Service Unavailable". Is that just me?!

Hope I don't have some dodgy settings on my work browser that will render everything I need invisible. Sigh.

• Options

Penelope is a lovely name, very Classical.

It's not just you, it's their server being unable to cope with demand.

It's improving a little now, every 3rd or 4th attempt is resulting in the form coming up

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Keep at it, pixlewitch.I got that message a few times.

*Vaguely sorry that I haven't gone for Zatopek...*

• Options

Aw. Bless you, Dom. Yeah, its  quite an elegant name really, but I'm not quite so elegant, and alas have never used it.

Cheers, ATM (or Zatopek, if you really prefer!). I won't lose hope just yet then!  :- D

• Options
    LOL ATM - will start the list properly in a minute.... cant get on the website either myself keeps on saying service unavailable.  Will try again laterimage