Options

Rugby World Cup 2011

Comments

• Options
    nice summary of Welsh options there ratzer.

I'm not sure that Gatland will change the starting line-up against France bit as you say with them declaring their hand early it might give him a few options to look at. one thing he needs to look at is France's ability to counterattack quickly with some quick runners. they need to stop France doing that and the best way is to starve them of the ball.

they can match France in the scrum and lineout but I think the Welsh back row need to attack the no 10 (whoever they pick) with ball in hand and suck the French back row in and create some holes. they also need to stop Harinordiquey going forward - he was good on Saturday.

the other thing we need to cutout is giving turnovers and penalties away - still too much of that but better than it used to be
  • Options

I wonder if ML is actually picking the team or if they're deciding amongst themselves?

He's already starting on his new identity - he's shaved off all his hair and grown a hideous moustache! image

• Options

Well done wales, best team done.

Ireland - Ogara had a wretched first half.  Defensively Ireland wernt as good as they have been. Darcy went awol twice during a couple of  wales tries.  For the Phillips, try Darcy was gazing into midfield as Phillips was measuring up the corner flag.  I probably woke up the whole street I was shouting so much at Darcy.  Would he listen?  Of course not.

This isnt sour grapes. I thought Ireland were less than could be.  But even if had been at full intensity I did think Wales had the game to win.

Wales look good.  Played with intensity and discipline. (Except when Shane went headless in own 25 and gave Ireland a penalty in front of the posts.)
    Despite tipping NZ to win I would be happy to see them beaten - esp by a 6N team.  Wales in this form have a better chance of beating NZ than Ireland.  If Ireland had won I dont think they could sustain it over the two hard games in two weeks.

Eng/France - nice to see les Bleus remember where they come from. Eng looked very poor.

Aus/SA - Pat Pocock vs the boks. In many areas of the game SA  were far far  better, glad they lost as I dont likethey way they play the games. Kick the ball high and send the big boys after it.

NZ/Arg - watched in the company of a Kiwi - he was very worried.  Well done the gauchos.  NZ seem to be unlucky with No. 10s - bad time for them to play Aus

• Options
    And England must keep Johnson. Absolutely. No question. Ideally appoint him coach for life.
  • Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

So, an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar...

• Options

(I guess you are suggesting the welshman isnt drinking because he's playing next weekend?)

... the Munsterman says: "Sure, I've just remembered I need to nip home for a bit to polish me Heineken Cup collection.   I'll be with you in a couple of hours. I know a shortcut tru the fields of Athenry so it'll be no time atall. "

• Options
    ... the Leinsterman says: "Jaysus, why clean the bleedin' cup at all, its not like the sheep-shaggers ever get to touch the ting.  What d'ya tink, Ulsterman, d'ya tink he should clean it?
  • Options
    ... Ulsterman removes pipe from abstemious lips: "Ulster says no."
  • Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

No, I was going to say that the Scotsman ordered Whisky, the Irishman ordered Whiskey, and the Englishman is a c%^t.  But yours is quite funny.  image

[*coughnojokesaboutlastfouroftheRWCinfrontoftheIrishpleasecough*]

Disagree with you on Johnson.  I think they should get Andy Robinson back.

• Options

[*coughweexpectedtofinishlowerthananaltarboystrousersonretreatsoeverythingsabonuscough*]

Re Johnson; I'm Irish. Robinson is competent. The Defense rests.

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Same France team.

Yachvili to be splatted.

Well, at least they've all played together once before!

• Options

*coughWhereHaveAllTheEnglishPostersGone?cough*

I'm surprised ML isn't starting some of his bigger players, Palisson looks tiny compared to some of the Welsh players.

So are all you Irish, English and Scottish fans backing Wales now? Can I tempt any of you to support France? image

• Options
    I suspect the Sais will be supporting France, the Celts supporting Wales.

at least Gatland knows what side he now needs to pick - I suspect he won't make any changes either
  • Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

I would guess that any otherwise non-partisan Irish and Scottish fans would either be supporting Wales or simply hoping for a great match, and then supporting whoever gets to the final.

The English haven't realised the competition is still on for another week and a half.

• Options

I''d like to see a northern hemisphere team win, be it Wales or Fr. Up to now Wales have played better rugby than France so they look a better bet than France.

• Options

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walked into a bar. The Welshman was still in NZ 

I'm English

I'll be supporting Wales

• Options

An Irishman and a Scotsman walked into a bar.
     The Englishman was already there, having commenced the imbibing of intoxicating beverages the previous night.

• Options

I reckon most English will be supporting the Welsh

still reckon the Kiwi's will win it

good effort on your predictions buddha - Pocock's a beast - if Zimbabwe could keep hold of their players we would have a semi decent team by now

• Options
    Bad news is that Rhys Priestland looks increasingly likely to miss the semi-final. A blow, as he has had an excellent tournament so far and has been particularly effective in setting up those outside him, in particular Jamie Roberts.

I'd expect Hook to "get the nod" in his place and that will give him an unbeatable opportunity in his favourite position, so could be very exciting.

Worse news for the AB's is that there are rumours Richie McCaw won't be fit for Sunday.
  • Options
    this made me smile

For Sale: 1 Chariot, please contact Martin Johnson.

followed by the rumour that Tuilagi jumped off the ferry to look for a sunken chariot

that's a bummer about Priestland but at least with Jones and Hook we have some good cover at No 10. McCaw will be missed by NZ if he doesn't play with Pocock snaffling around at the breakdowns
  • Options
    Whatever happens, I don't think it will be anything like as bad as our only previous semi-final appearance in 1987 !

We were absolutely "smashed" by New Zealand (something like 60 odd points if memory serves).

Have to say that the NZ pack of that year remains the best I've ever seen - Shelford, Fitzpatrick, McDowell, Michael Jones et al.

Great opportunity on Saturday and could be a classic.
  • Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

News on Priestland isn't good, but at least it gives Gatland an opportunity to put Hooky in at 10 without ruffling any feathers.  I'm sure Rhys will be fine for the Final.

AB's will miss McCaw and give Aus a superb opportunity.  Hmm, wind-up?

I am so looking forward to Saturday!

An Irishman and a Scotsman walked into a bar to find the Englishman already in the drink.

An Irishman and a Scotsman walked into a bar, having left the Englishman in his room harassing the staff.

An Irishman and a Scotsman walked into a bar to tell the Englishman his chariot had come to carry him home...

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Same XV except Hook in at 10.  It's not the most pleasant way to happen for Priestland, but I stand by my comments that Hook should be in there against France.  He is far more worrying when running at you.  Can he release the guys outside him as well as Rhys?  I'm sure Warren's had him practising moves with Jamie Roberts all week (except Tuesday).  I hope that those guys who are going into the game carrying little niggles are properly fit.  We have second row, back row and centre cover, but three wings and the utility full back are all on the pitch.  It'll be interesting if George North pulls up for any reason.

France's weakness remains that 9-10 combo, and Yachvili is carrying a niggle too.  The nature of his knock does mean he probably won't be quite as quick on his feet as he was previously.  Certainly if he hands kicking duties to Parra then he doesn't trust his own leg.  That could be interesting.

Now I just have to figure out how I'm getting to the stadium.  Bad enough I've got to be in town on Sunday morning too!

• Options
    for distraught English rugby fans - the RFU has set up a helpline. call 0845 101010 - that's 0845 won nothing won nothing won nothing. image

shame about Priestland but Hook will do a good job
  • Options

2 days to go! image

*wibble*

Looks like I'll be the only one supporting the French image

• Options

fat buddha wrote (see)
    for distraught English rugby fans - the RFU has set up a helpline. call 0845 101010 - that's 0845 won nothing won nothing won nothing. image shame about Priestland but Hook will do a good job

I'm all for a good mocking! especially the English! image
    however, they have actually won the world cup............ and as of yet the welsh haven't ....

• Options

So where is everyone watching this tomorrow? Pub, home, Millennium Stadium?

I'll be at home with coffee and toast. I'll have scared the cat off my lap by about 5 mins. in by shouting at the TV image

Good luck to all 4 teams and ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!! image

• Options
    I'll be watching in a hotel in Warwick

goddam wish I was at the Millenium Stadium though - the atmosphere there is going to be awesome

bonne chance Nemo - but you're going to lose... image
  • Options

image image image

Apparently there will be more people watching it in the Millennium than in Eden Park! image

• Options
    Watching at home.  Will be having several croissants - being strictly neutral this may be interpreted as partiality toward France. So will balance  with faux-italian coffee from Caffe Nero and pastry from denmark.