Options

Great north run 2012

Comments

• Options
    mr sj wrote (see)
    Morning all, i echo everything said about miles 10-12, i haate them ! Every year they have beaten me into submission, but not this year!!ni was ready for them and the guynrunning alongside me summed it up perfectly when we got there and he muttered under his breath 'here we go, come on then you little f***ers'. Made me laugh and i watched him just steam off at hyperspeed !

Hahahahaha........I'm so going to remember that for next year image

• Options

So ... if there were 55,000 numbers given out, but just short of 40,000 actually took part, what happened to the other 15,000 ??

I can't believe there's a 27% dropout of people not even turning up !

• Options

Imagine howpacked it would have been if they had! 

• Options

Morning all

The wonders of marathon training mean that I don't have a single ache this morningimage or does this mean I didn't work hard enoughimage

Happy with 1:51:50 which is a course PB by 25 seconds. I never had any intentions of pushing it and hadn't tapered in the slightest so this was a good time.

Well done to all those with shiny new PBs and all those who enjoyed it for the first time.

For whoever asked about next year...if you ran this year you usually get an email in Nov/early Dec asking if you want to pay for guaranteed entry for the next 3 years otherwise it is the ballot in the early new year.

Russell - I got a fab new PB at Blackpool a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully the weather was kind and there was only a slight breeze.  The 10K runners on the Saturday had the full Blackpool experience tho'.image

Off to peruse the new thread........

• Options
    Well done fiona, all that marathon training seems to paying off for you !
  • Options

I managed to get a massive GNR pb of 1 second yesterday finishing in 1:19:50 after a fairly indifferent year of training - maybe I am finally returning to full fitness. I managed to hold myself back in the first half a move through the field with the usual struggle from 10 miles onwards. Conditions were perfect for me with the damp cool conditions as compared the middleborough 10k two weeks before in blazing sunshine. With more specific half training next year, (long tempo's and longer rep sessions), I still feel there is more to come.  

Again the crowds lining the route were fantastic and the name on your numbers has been a great move when they encourage you by your name.

Well done to all who ran yesterday especially those with shiny new PBs

• Options
    Well done martin, a pb is a pb, even if it is only 1 second !!
  • Options

First GNR - Oh that hill at Mile 10+.

If I ever do it again I'll make sure I keep some juice in the tank - And it looks SO innocuous on my route map.

• Options

Well that was my first GNR and my 3rd Half Marathon.  I started running in January so I am fairly new to this.

I started in the pink zone which was horrible as I didn't cross the start line until 11:33!  I managed a not too shabby time of 2:07:28, and probably could have gone quicker had it not have been for all of the walkers and slower runners around me.

I didn't really notice any of the uphills but the downhill towards the coast near the end was very hard on the knees. 

Really enjoyed the atmosphere and will be back next year, hopefully in a better zone!!!

• Options
    Your time from this year will get you moved up a few zones for next year mark
  • Options

I have done the GNR 3 times now.  Normaly im in the 'white zone' but found myself in the 'green zone' this year..... It seemed busy all the time, no space, always seemed some one was within 2 steps of me.

• Options

Having started from Orange D with a (correct) predicted time of 1.50-155 I spent most of the first couple of miles wondering if I would have been better off starting further back. I didn't pass a single person and thousands went past me, despite the fact that I was going marginally quicker than my scheduled pace for a 1.55ish run. I felt like a mobile roadblock early on but I told myself that all the people passing me, most of whom will have had slower predicted times must be going off too quick and didn't let myself get caught up in the rush. Felt much better mid-race when I started overtaking some people.

• Options

It was my first GNR this year and I enjoyed it immensely. However, what particularly annoyed me, was on the final stretch an obnoxious woman decided to shove me in the back and bellow 'HURRY UP FOR GOD'S SAKE', even though I was running. The rest of the runners on the day seemed to really enjoy it and take it for what it was. Why this woman decided to behave so rudely is beyond me, especially considering that for me to be ahead of her in the first place she mustn't be the fastest of runners. I started in the Pink Zone, and was surrounded by people who were there to soak up the atmosphere, have a good time and enjoy themselves. Everyone, it seems, except for this woman, who despite starting at the very back of the pack believed she was somehow entitled to her very own free path to the finish line. Still, in a weird sort of way, this minor annoyance spurred me on to run even faster. Can't wait for next year. Oh, and those kids sprayed me with water too; I'd have been more annoyed if I wasn't already soaked through from the rain.

• Options

This was my first GNR and also my first competitive road race - finished in 1hr 27m.  Anyone doing the Edinburgh 10K next month?

• Options

Such a shame to hear of folks pushing and shoving. I suppose in a crowd of nearly 40,000 you have to expect a few idiots though. I remember in my pen last year a bloke peed on the floor just before the gun went, and I got splashed with it. It's just rude (and not to mention gross in that case). 

• Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Such a shame to hear of folks pushing and shoving. I suppose in a crowd of nearly 40,000 you have to expect a few idiots though. I remember in my pen last year a bloke peed on the floor just before the gun went, and I got splashed with it. It's just rude (and not to mention gross in that case). 

Eww!

Martin - well done on your pb!

I agree it's not on to hear people being shoved to the ground and told to 'hurry up'.

Been in work since 8.30am and I'm here until 9pm and I'm really starting to flag now image.

• Options

207th in my age/gender category.  Sounds great out of all those thousands of entrants huh?  Wonders how many others in my category

Shielsy - that's a horribly long day, specially after yesterday - poor you (and with your injury too)

• Options

Loving all the reports and experiences.Will write one later but have to dash off soon.Everyone is safe and accounted for,friend had a 45min wait to cross the start line but arrived safely in the pub.Really enjoyed the race and treated the run as training for the Liverpool marathon next month.2:05.54 very happy and merry last night.

• Options
    RunLikeTheWind wrote (see)

Felt certain of a PB but also felt like shoving a few people out the way (sorry image).  I suppose it's just the way GNR is, but they really break your stride. 

I promise I didn't actually shove any body,  truly

• Options

First GNR, second half. Beat my PB by a minute (1:56) but thought it would be more since the last half was the hill-tastic Edinburgh Rock and Roll one. Guess I need to run faster, who'd have thunk?

Started in white E, which was probably ok. Like MTViking I was passed by loads of people in the first mile, but I was quite happy as I knew my pace was ok. Spent the second half of the race going past tired people.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, great atmosphere. I'd been a bit worried about the congestion getting back to Newcastle, but I followed some advice hear and just kept walking after the finish line (picking up bag en-route of course) and walked straight onto the Metor platform and straight onto the train. I think the queues started just after I got on the train by the looks of it.

Big thumbs up for Castle Leazes halls as accommodation. Cheap as chips, colossol evening meal and about 10 mins walk from the start line. 5* it aint, but handy it is.

Edinburgh 10k next!

• Options

Interestingly, if you go to greatrun.org and search results in wave categories there are sub 1:30 in every group - particularly pink K where someone ran 1:18:17. Of course, can't be certain that they actually started in their allotted group, but I reckon quite a few must have.

I finished around 1.30pm and took a stroll to the Cancer Research tent before heading to the shuttle bus (no walk involved there)  Waited about 10mins and we were on our way.  Best year ever for transport image  In fact, best year ever image

• Options
    dasher dart wrote (see)

Loving all the reports and experiences.Will write one later but have to dash off soon.Everyone is safe and accounted for,friend had a 45min wait to cross the start line but arrived safely in the pub.Really enjoyed the race and treated the run as training for the Liverpool marathon next month.2:05.54 very happy and merry last night.

Thank God your mate showed up eventually DD - I was starting to worry about him myself by the end image.  Lovely chatting to you in the pub, and thanks for the drink.

• Options

Well done Cormorant - glad you enjoyed the day.

• Options

The GNR was on my bucket list of races and I've done it now!  Finished in 2.16 my pb for a half is 2.14 and I found it hard with so many walkers to get past and like a previous poster who started off in green found that there never seemed to be a time when there wasn't anyone within 2 paces.  Loved the final mile though - seemed to find a bit of space there and finished with a sprint.  Soaked up the atmosphere and enjoyed it. image

• Options

A bit delayed but having a 6 hour journey home & work today didnt help image

Still here goes :

My 4th GNR and it didnt dissapoint one bit - another fantastic weekend with some fantastic people who I have met throught this thread - thanks folks image

Arrived Sat & Spongecake took me to the Waterline where we enjoyed a few drinks with loads of threaders from here - great to see you all again

Decided to get the costume on in one of the baggage busses so I didnt have to travel in it ! Got some very strange looks donning green tights and facepaint on the top of a double decker bus !

Think Vix has a photo but I cant seem to upload to here ?

My race went well but I got a PW (personal worse) for time at 2 hrs 35 !!

Bad points were some idiot pushing past me / nearly pushing me over at mile 10 - I think I was a bit more "solid" shal we say than he expected !

Also taking so long travelling home thanks to traffic and that thunder shower

Good points were everything else - especially seeing a Mutant Turtle really struggling on the JR road - as he had encouraged me a little earlier I got him running again & we crooosed the line together whereby he hugged me & got more green all over his costume ! Silly but emotional moment

Saw Ellie and Greg at the start & high 5'd them both - legends image

Can't wait now for next year - well done everyone

• Options

Shrek,

Thought you were overtaking me for the second when I saw someone green go past me about 2 miles from the end, but it turned out to be The Incredible Hulk!

• Options

Loved reading all of your race reports and comments.  What a truly great day.

• Options
    I hope theres a photo somewhere of a sweaty teenage mutant ninja turtle cuddling shrek !
  • Options

Fifth Great North Run in a PB 2hrs 9 mins....Great support all the way round...yes its manic in the pens..no room to move etc etc and you will always get the one person pushing you out of the way as you run but out off 55000 people its always going to happen...Ill defffffffffffffffff be back next year

• Options

we've just made it back to london & are watching the bbc coverage from yesterday with a large drink in hand. what a weekend!

high fived ellie & greg on the starting line & spoke to some lovely people before & afters. 

the event is very well supported, but for a newbie who has been training alone, i found the numbers of people taking part totally overwhelming, was difficult dodging other runners & only really found my mojo half way through. 

finished in 01:46:47 which i'm happy with, but found it very hard work & am totally broken today!

congratulations to one & all image