Options

Great north run 2012

Comments

• Options
    A couple of easy runs so far this week for me - legs still not right but had a sports massage on tuesday and that has eased the aches so I would recommend those suffering to go down that route. I am off to Warrington on Saturday for the Northern 6 Stage road relays - hope my legs are fresh by then!!
  • Options

Oooh Martin I'm also doing the relays on Saturday image  Who's your club? I'll be in a St Helens Sutton vest....limping round image

Sheilsy...I feel a tad better now thanks image

• Options

Did my first GNR Sunday and absolutely loved it.  Its the atmosphere and everyone we met were so friendly and helpful.  Had a small B & B 5 mins from the start, found 2 nice restaurants near by.  Wish I could do it again next year but it was a 350 mile journey to get there and the traveling was just a bit too much, but great to have done it once.

We also raised over £700 for our charity to.

• Options
    Holymoly - I will be in the Gateshead Harriers vest again - not looking forward to it to be honest. Last year there was two weeks between the GNR and the relays and my legs were still ruined. This year there is only 6 daysimage 
  • Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    Forgot to say - waterproof make-up?????? Why on earth would you wear make-up to run a half marathon? Make up and sport should not be combined! Stephen - loving your 70s inspired look. I bet you can get a 118 style vest on ebay, and the shorts are quite easy to get I think. Although on ebay they tend to market them as some sort of gay clubbing apparel. Viga sports used to do some seriously scary retro ladies running kit, they must surely do mens too. Have a laugh at these ladies 'briefs' for a start http://www.viga.co.uk/products.asp?catid=17128&cat_name=LYCRA-Briefs.

"Gay clubbing apparel" yep thats the look im after!

At one moment during the GNR I really thought I was running behind you. There was a woman dark hair dressed in black and red with a 3 letter word in white on her shorts. Something like "HEX"I thought thats a bit goth but no it wasnt you.

Saw your pics on the GNR site. You looked very composed towards the end.

Yes makeup and running are an odd combination. I suspect some women dont see their looks in terms of context, but as some kind of absolute of "good" and "bad"

Dripping sweat, smelling of Gatorade? Fine! You've just run a race from Newcastle to the coast.

Dripping sweat, smelling of Gatorade? Wrong! Your at your daughters wedding!

Depends where you are and what your doing.

Anyways here my splits finally as I couldnt find the ANT stick for my Garmin to up load.

7:13, 7:48, 7:04, 6:33, 6:56, 6:51, 7:20,  6:55, 7:46, 7:30, 7:58, 7:49, 7:13

Miles 9-12 Dont know where that was but can I petiton to have it carpet bombed as of midnight?

At 10.6 miles I was actually running at 8:11 pace!

• Options

another club run last night 7 miles, legs feeling a lot better for some exercise, although I feel quite tired still. Speed work tonight then rest on Friday, lsr on saturday, no racing for 3 weeks so a chance to catchup. New club members were asking all about the GNR and wanted to know all the details - so maybe I've got a few more recruited ( read hooked image)  for next year.

Anyway loving the sofa, now can someone please pass me a drink? 

• Options

Haven't done them before Martin so don't know what to expect. All I know is it's approx 5k, team of 4 ladies and don't even know what leg I'm on. I do know that I'm stiff so not expecting much....probably last team to finish as usual seeing as all the young whipper snappers fly round and we only have vets competing.

Stephen...great splits....seems you weren't affected too much by John Reid Road! As for miles 4 and 5...how did you manage to fly up that hill?

I'm a "no make-up" kinda gal. But that seems to be a permanent thing. May put on a bit of slap if I'm on a night out, that's my limit.

• Options

Holymoly - like you, I'm not really a make up person so really cannot understand why you would go to all that effort to ruin it.  Its the same at the gym, but each to their own.

I'm enjoying a week of rest - mainly cos I'm lazy and can't be bothered.  I've felt fine all week so could of, but I've just raced and having a wedding to prepare for, so the extra sleep has seemed preferable. image

• Options

Yes Miss Moly if thats your real name miles 1-6 flew past!

As for hills though I live in "flat as a pancake" North London I do find some long slopes to run up and if I see them up I go. Unless your injured dont avoid hills or slopes on your easy days. In a race that kind of training will save your life, and get you a better time.

Get to the top push on!

I really thank my local parkrun that has really really helped with just good old fashioned running speed and stamina , No bells no whistles just start here finish there.

Just wish there was a free 10k equivalent.

CC2 saw the shorts. Very 1950's grammer school for girls.

Nice....

• Options

Hi, I'm also having a lazy week.  Our club run tonight is a try at triathlon, so I'm marshalling image

Really enjoyed Sunday, even though I arrived at the start as the gun went off (slight nightmare with the bus in from the finish!), and had crippling cramp in my calves towards the end.  Think the crowds were even better this year and can't wait for net year.  Next big race for me is MudRunner in October - absolute hoot!  http://www.mudrunner.co.uk/ 

• Options

Steady 4-miler for me this morning.

Will probably do one more run this weekend, then another in the middle of next week, and that'll be me ready for Carlisle. image

• Options
    Lil.Lil. ✭✭✭

SHREK

I think somewhere back you said you are staying for the 2012 GNR at Chester-le- Street. I have seen a place to stay in that area but the trains are rubbish to Newcastle. The first one leaves on a Sunday at 9.40am. How do you get to Newcastle from there ?

Thanks.

• Options

Afternoon all!!

I'm another having a lazy week. I was planning a little run before going back to work today but overslept so sacked the idea and decided to go out on my bike instead.

For those who dont know me through FB, I put new 'clippy-pedals' on my bike yesterday and went out to try them out. I live in a cul-de-sac and by the time I reached the exit I'd just got myself clipped in and got comfy when I realised a car was coming along the next road. I ended up slowing right down to a halt without managing to get my feet out of the pedals quick enough and doing what I call a 'comedy fall' sidewards!!! As i went down, in slow motion of course!, all i could think about was not scratching my bike so my left hip took the full impact. Someone would have won £250 on 'You've Been framed' had they filmed it!!!!

• Options

Ouch !!

I hope you're OK, Mandie - anything worse than grazes and bruises ?

• Options

I'm fine thanks, just a bruised hip and embarrassment really - at leats it didnt happen when there were a lot more people about!!

• Options
    Ouch Mandie, hope it's only your pride that took damage!
  • Options
    Shielsy wrote (see)

For what it's worth, whilst I was spectating on Sunday, I saw a few of the women's elites fly past - in full make-up.

I guess the elites know they are more likely to be shown on telly than us mere mortals.  And without any slap on folks tend to look a bit pasty on TV.

Mandie- join the club.  I think anyone who uses cleats has done the same.  I did it in my London marathon training 2 yrs ago.  i'd been to the sports injury clinic with knee pain and was advised to do some cycling instead of running for a week.  So I went home that very day, got on the bike and then fell off slowly sideways a few miles later at a junction.  It gave me a humungous bruise over my hip / upper ITB which stopped me running anyway.image  i now make sure the cleats are as loose as they can be without my feet falling out.

• Options
    Mandie - that's always my fear with those types of pedals.
  • Options
    PiXieLoNgStOcKiNg wrote (see)

SHREK

I think somewhere back you said you are staying for the 2012 GNR at Chester-le- Street. I have seen a place to stay in that area but the trains are rubbish to Newcastle. The first one leaves on a Sunday at 9.40am. How do you get to Newcastle from there ?

Thanks.

You can also get into Newcastle via buses from Chester-Le-Street, but I'd be surprised if they don't put on extra trains on GNR day?
  • Options
    Thanks for info on 3yr bond thing Mandie. If it's the end of November that should be OK as I can pay on credit card and wont have to pay the bill until the end of December. I never know what to suggest when relatives ask what I want for Christams so might suggest they get me GNR membership!
  • Options
    for those looking for accommodation found this in Washington - can't believe all the travelodges & premier inn's already showing as full! Mercure Hotel Washington
  • Options

Has anyone seen a travelodge for £1 yet? If theres nowhere going cheap-ish me and Emily might be camping next year!!image 

Going for a run soon, just 5k-ish to get the legs working again. I have taken a race number for a week on Sunday from Mum On The Run so got to put some training in (its a 10K)...hopefully I wont let her down with the time! ha

Hope everyone is ok, including Mandie who clearly needs stabilisers for that bike of hers.

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

My race report - link (Photos & videos are good)

Opps - Mandie image

• Options
    Great report Mr K - just seen that there are loads more videos this year too
  • Options
    Make-up + sweat = clogged pores and a face full of spots!

I wish I could do the quote thing on here 'cos the thread is moving too quickly. Stupid Google Chrome. Grrrr! Anyhoo - Rachel - I actually did LOL. Enjoy your marshalling image

• Options

I know one isn’t suppose to look ones best after running 13.1 miles, but I looked like hell on legs, so was hoping the make –up may help.  However after some careful consideration it is risky game to play, I would prefer to look a little worn out rather than ending up looking like  Gene Simmons or the Joker on a bad day!  image

Perhaps I should try and get my race nutrition and hydration right ???? Although I can;t be going too wrong as I got a PB by a full minute so can’t complain too much

Mandie really bad luck on the bike, however I have to confess that it made me smile when I read about your little accident, I can see it all in slow motion image

Great race report Mr K,

After careful consideration, if I get the offer to sign up for the next 3 years I am going to take it, got bitten by the GNR bug and really want to meet up with you guys next year, I was wearing a green ribbon (with the wig) on Sunday  but didn’t see any others, so I have high hopes for next year.

• Options

after doing my first one last weekend, i'll be there next year to do it all again. my target will be sub 1:25 image

• Options
    Loved the report MR k ,well done.
  • Options

I know you probably won't read this today, Mick, but all the very best.
    You're in our thoughts, mate.

Paul

• Options

I too was considering signing up for the next 3 Years after chatting to a lovely couple from Leeds who were in the GREAT NORTH RUN CLUB image

They told me to keep an eye out as they reckon that approx 1000 places are made available every year??

As for next year have already booked my premier in for the whole weekend!!! Just need an entry now image