Options

Ironman Wales 2012

Comments

• Options
    Well I'm proud to say I managed to finish my first Triathlon - ??Ironman Wales image

Yes it was proper hard. But I'm really glad I lined up in the end.

So many things about ironman now make sense, and the mystery is gone. Whats left is deep respect for the distance and everyone who does the training. That and appreciation for the awesome supporters!

Boy will I do things differently next time!

Yes, there will be a next time! Bring on Outlaw! ... ??image
  • Options

I will do a full race report later not looked my gps data yet.
    However I had a great swim 2.4 mile pb by 2 minutes and 10 minutes quicker then a 2.4 mile sea swim. I then had a good run in to T1 but that was the highlight of the day.
    The cycle I went of slightly easier as the hills were at the end of the lap as I went off too quick at the outlaw this year. I got up the hills without stopping and was overtaking people up the 16% hill. Although by the time I got to the top of Saundersfoot I was already starting to struggle due to the conditions (hills, wind and rain) and I got slower from then. For the next 30 miles I was thinking about pulling out as was getting slower and less focused and likely to end in a ditch espically on the wet bendy roads like a few had already done. So I was finally glad at 97 miles when they pulled me out of the race for missing the cut off. Although the road was closed for another 25 minutes in that section but I was in no state to continue.

I think my training will be modified a bit based on this DNF, biggest mistake was not doing any long hilly rides and relying on my Outlaw training and race.

• Options

ITB, dont beat yourself much over it, I did plenty of hill training in several sportives including HHH and the Dragon wiggle, also Alpe DHuez triathlon and the wind and the cold knocked me up. I pulled out with 40km to go and was not even pressed by cutoff, I just could not get calories in and steer my bike.

I will be back next year and I hope to see you there. It is not as easy as it looks.

• Options

Hello all, just sneaking in while at work to say a huge thank you for everyone's support before and during the weekend.

ITB - I'm really sorry your day wasn't great. Great that your alreday thinking about what to do next time!

I probably don't need to say I had a great race - knocked 72 mins off last year's time. Full report later, but I'd better just squash any Kona rumours - the one slot in my age category went very justly to the winner who was way faster than me (I was third).

Also, big apologies for being so rude to Pingu in T1 - I just had my race head on, as was convinced I had competition hot on my heels, so wasn't very friendly at all...you were doing such a great job, too!

Better get back to work - full report tonight, I hope. Well done all!

• Options

Joddly, I didn't think you were rude at all!!  You were in a race and focused on your next stage, not a problem at all image 

Great pics above, I think Joddly is smiling, surely that's not allowed on that hill?

• Options

ITB, Hokori, dont beat yourself up to much that was a very tough bike course in the conditions on Sunday, akin to Lanzarote if not tougher.

I had to dig deeper than I can remember to get round and felt like I was almost chasing cut-offs all day, I had just about 45 mins left when I got into T2 and that was off the back of a 1:06 swim.

There is a lot that can go wrong on race day and its not always possible to put your finger on one particular reason.  Last year I DNF'd and am still not sure why, I just had nothing in my legs from the first mile of the bike.  Took me 7 hours on the bike to get to Tenby, like one of you (was it Button Mushroom?) I took a wrong turn and found myself in Tenby town instead of starting the south loop again, my race was over anyway and it came as a kind of relief that I had to stop.

The IMWales course is unforgiving and the sting is in the tail, the tough hills in the last 20 miles of the south loop.  You did your best, youve learnt a lot and will prepare more if you go for it again, no doubt more bike conditioning and looking at what youre taking in as fuel etc.

• Options

Barley's not smiling!

I see the official pics are out.  Mine are a mixed bunch.

Sorry to hear you missed out Joddly, but a great effort all the same and good to share a cuppa with you afterwards.

• Options

Bad luck on missing Kona Joddly, I saw how hard you were pushing on the course.

• Options

Pre-Race Report; 

I travelled down with the family on Friday and stayed at Bluestone, which I'd very happily recommend to anybody wanting to stay in comfort. It's a bit like Centre Parcs must have been before it became so popular with obese Geordie ASBO's trying to break the "most tattoo ink on a human body" Olympics. The day was unremarkable, Other than the spotting of my first "IronGimp", resplendent in full M-Dot clone regalia of man sandals, white calf guards, combat shorts, hoodie and a sun visor. I started to suspect that I'd entered a disturbingly proper race.

That suspicion was confirmed on riding into Tenby on Saturday to register. The energy, buzz and cosmopolitan nature that the WTC circus brings to town took me by surprise. The "big race" feel was awesome and if like me, you've only previously done independent races, this is something worth experiencing. It's a real melting pot of languages and nationalities, and being in the company of gnarled, sinewy, toned, athletes is a novelty in itself for a Pirate.

I bumped into SA in reception and it was clear that race-week nutrition had consisted solely of amphetamines and espresso. He's a sparky guy at the quietest of times, so why had nobody done a risk assessment before letting him into a marquee full of polyester and lycra? Mrs SA and Jordy were there too, looking like a pair of calming influences. That said, the Tasmanian Devil would seem like a calming influence when compared to Q pre-race.

I also happened upon my Pirate mentor, Cheerful Dave, in the Expo, as well as Slag, Button Mushroom and Tractor Boy. Little did I know that Dave would break my heart later in the weekend by cruelly blanking me on the run. I might expect that from some of our lady Pirates who, let's face it, can be a mardy bunch on the course. But I think I would have finished 20 minutes sooner if it wasn't for the shock of being ignored by the official Nicest Man in Triathlon.

That afternoon I took my daughter to her first IronKids, which was an utter shambles, and probably none the worse for that. Not having been briefed in any way shape or form on the course (I think the guy with microphone thought that the 6-year olds would guess), the sound of the hooter was greeted by 15 kids charging off in one direction, 15 kids charging off in the diametrically opposite direction, and about 10 kids standing knee-deep in the sea, looking hopefully at the grown-ups for direction. With none forthcoming, the little mites all charged around the beach randomly until somebody started to herd them back towards the crowd. Holly finished a disappointed second, which reinforces my view that genetics is not a science.

With the family hunched over hot chocolate and cakes in a cafe, I joined one of the practise swims, which I found really reassuring and something I'll try to do for future events. Then I went to the Race Briefing, which as usual was an utter waste of time. Blah-blah-welcome. Blah-blah-cheating. Blah-blah-not dying. Blah blah-Kona. That was where I met Hokori in his splendid red outfit and a bunch of French ninja-midgets who looked like they'd escaped the Foreign Legion to come and race.

Chicken, rice, glass of wine, bed. Sleep. Wake up to let wife back in after night out. Sleep. Wake up to open stair gate for slightly sozzled wife. Sleep. Wake up to listen to wife snoring. Sleep.

• Options

To the pirate who after realising that that he had missed high fiving my 4 year old daughter on the run, apparently turned around and came back down one the hills to high five her, you made her day she was still talking about you at breakfast this morning! 

I think numbers were probably up somewhat this year due to the new Ironman race transfer policy,  I transferred in after getting injured ahead of Switzerland.  Glad I did as despite having a poor race I still thought it was a brilliant atmosphere.

• Options

Race Day!

I felt really strong and confident getting suited-up pre-race. I'd only done a 12-week programme but had done a lot more really big sessions than for my first race last year. So I felt surprisingly comfortable as I queued with the wetsuited masses to drop off my white bag. Entertainment value came when I heard a slightly reedy voice with a southern English accent, shouting "excuse me.... excuse me.... can I just get through there" and sounding panicked. I turned to see none other than Barley, wearing his Pirate shorts and a navy polo shirt, pushing his way politely but insistently through the crowd. "Sorry about this", said one of our most battle-hardened veterans to the marshalls, "but I've left my hotel room key in my bag and I've left my wetsuit and swim stuff in my hotel room and I won't be able to get in without it. Would you mind if I came and found it, please"? The same guy who's representing us all at the World Championships next year. 

Just time for a little jig to summon the Gods of Thunder in a Portaloo before we started a cheerful procession to the beach.

The swim was lovely! The first mark was too close to the shore and the second mark was too close to the first one so that we all had to bob about like grumpy frog-spawn for 5 minutes before we could get round it. But the water was clean and warm and there wasn't much biff and I think they'd perhaps measured the course a bit short, because I swam easily and still managed a PB and it seems like lots of other people did too. A 71-minute swim saw me out of the water in 700th position.... just behind the leaders image. But any hope I had of bridging was dashed in the mini transition as I rolled about on the path like a drunk, fighting a losing battle with my own wetsuit, socks and trainers before jogging through town.

I'd planned to ride very conservatively over the early hills and manage heart rate tightly. Leaving my HRM at a friend's house and having to borrow one that didn't work very well didn't spoil the plan but didn't help. Fuelling went better than last year so this report will be light on potty talk. The weather got mildly crappy, wet and gusty, but nothing too serious. So it was a fairly tedious, grim, miserable and boring ride, enlivened by three things.
    The first was hitting a traffic cone at about 33mph and performing IronMan Wales's best and least intended bunny hop. It was one of those "life flashes" moments and I was amazed to stay upright. I was convinced that I’d knackered my bike and would DNF, but the tyres stayed hard and my cheap Chinese wheels didn't crumble and it was only afterwards that I found a big patch on the back tyre that was down to the cloth. Lucky!
    The second event was seeing "Big Mac" out of Casualty, offering some very amusing support with a couple of his mates on the way into Narberth. Did anybody else see him? Cool guy!
    And the third was the crowd support, which was mind-blowing. Whether it was the pubs in Narberth, the barbeques out in the villages or the amazing atmosphere of St Bride's Hill in Saundersfoot, the supporters and marshalls made it all so much easier.

I eventually hopped off after 7 hours and a few minutes, which was right on plan. I then had the great pleasure of the fragrant and lovely Iron Pingu helping me out of my fragrant and not so lovely cycling kit in T2. I wish I'd stayed for a chat.

• Options

So which sadistic bastard designed that marathon course? You go up a big hill and come back to complete a Crufts-style agility test through town. Then you go back and do it three more times image. You can't use a run-walk plan because all the hills get in the way and every time you try to walk, about 200 enthusiastically-pissed Welsh people cheer so loud that you have to resume shuffling until you're out of town and on the long march up to New Hedges with the other broken, grey people.

I saw Bobby and Joddly lots on the run and Joddly looked so strong and inspiring. Bobby looked like he was toughing it out happily enough. I saw SA, Barley and Slag too, but I can’t recall whether I saw any of them actually running image. I saw Cheerful Dave.... but my Mentor chose not to see me (image sniff) as he charged home for an awesome finish time.

After about 20 miles I was dying on my arse and was so chuffed to see Muffin Top waving at me on the corner of Frog Street. I'm guessing she was excited too, because she fell off the kerb and twisted her ankle. Thankfully she was OK to walk with me for a bit because I just couldn't convince my legs to run. I couldn't be arsed. I was fed up and could have happily walked off the course. Muffin gave me Chinese burns sufficient to get me back up the hill to collect the mythical "pink band", after which I flew back into town like Mo Farrah chasing a British Visa, and shamelessly sprinted to beat two guys in the finish chute who'd stopped to hug their loved ones. It was that kind of race. Finished in 13:08, which was 52 minutes better than plan and featured a run PB. Nuts.

Through the finish area and I just sat on the pavement and shivered under a silver blanket, waiting for Muffin to find me. I'd felt really emotional approaching the line because I'd dug pretty deep. And now I felt a huge anti-climax and shed a couple of sissy tears. So she packaged me off to the finishers’ marquee where I met up with my great mate Stu Staples, who fed me Battenberg cake and sugary tea and refused to let me lie on the floor. A veteran of 15 Iron distance races, he described this as "the most miserable race in the world", which will probably be enough to inspire some of you to pre-register for 2013 immediately! It is a fantastically organised and supported race.... just a little bit hard for me image.

• Options

I am already entered IM Lanzarote 2013 and was just using IM Wales a test event for that, I just got a lot more learning points than I planned for.

• Options

Fantastic race report STIL. I cheered you up on your chute run w/o u glancing my way so was that payback on what happened to you?.

Man I am soooooo jealous. 12 months to wait AGAIN, thanks goodness I have Lanza before coming back to IMW2013 (I know where u live, damn miserable race)

• Options

Great report STIL.

ITB - you've got the Outlaw under your belt, and you'll learn from IMW, ready to smash Lanza. And you've got the TVXC league to look forward to, I expect to see you for tea and cake after Datchet!

• Options

Nice ITB, you doing Wales again as well? I am off to Lanza and I hope the toughness of Tenby rubbed enough on me. I have plans .... for those learning points.

• Options

Well done everyone on what seems like a very difficult IM - I constantly marvel at what we put ourselves through (and what we put our families and friends through) and only reading reports like the ones above do you get a real feel as to what this all means. 

If this was described as a miserable IM does anyone know where the next happy/cheery IM is being held?? image

• Options

Brilliant report STIL, clearly Dave and Joddly are going to have to work hard to redeem themselves.  Loving your IronGimp anecdote, that's so spot on.

Couldnt believe my schoolboy error leaving the hotel key in the bag, in hindsight it wouldnt have been a problem but its funny how little things can throw us. 

• Options
    Jonnybegood wrote (see)

To the pirate who after realising that that he had missed high fiving my 4 year old daughter on the run, apparently turned around and came back down one the hills to high five her, you made her day she was still talking about you at breakfast this morning! 

I think numbers were probably up somewhat this year due to the new Ironman race transfer policy,  I transferred in after getting injured ahead of Switzerland.  Glad I did as despite having a poor race I still thought it was a brilliant atmosphere.

May have been me, I recall taking a few steps back and making a joke of it on one occasion, it wasnt really a hill.  Loved high fiving all the kids, they all looked like they were enjoying the race image

• Options
    You also loved hugging the Traffic Marshall on the run out of T2 if I remember rightly, Barley. That I could have dealt with had you not gone on to thumb your nose at me as you passed. image
  • Options

cracking report STIL - one of the best I've read over the years.....

"Little did I know that Dave would break my heart later in the weekend by cruelly blanking me on the run."

why do you think we christened him Cheerful??  you will never ever see the bugger smile or acknoweldge you on the course - once his race face is on, it stays on.  that became clear when I met him at his 1st pirate outing at Cambridge Tri, a few years ago now - hence the name. other than that he's a lovely fella.....  image

• Options

Yes Carl, I think we both retraced our steps to high 5 some kids. This was before you returned mid race for a " best 10mins of the day" toilet stop at your hotel.. image

• Options

slowerthanilook wrote (see)

I saw SA, Barley and Slag too, but I can’t recall whether I saw any of them actually running image.

You t**t, is it my fault every time you saw me, I was doing the uphill and you where on the down hill!!!!

Great report mate, speak to you soon

NB (this is the guy that said he was going for a swim Monday morning because he felt a bit stiff!)

slowerthanilook wrote (see I bumped into SA in reception and it was clear that race-week nutrition had consisted solely of amphetamines and espresso. He's a sparky guy at the quietest of times, so why had nobody done a risk assessment before letting him into a marquee full of polyester and lycra? Mrs SA and Jordy were there too, looking like a pair of calming influences. That said, the Tasmanian Devil would seem like a calming influence when compared to Q pre-race.

But you wouldn't have me any other way!

• Options

I was with a family group of 13 containing many kids...they have been totally inspired by all the IM competitors....they LOVED the high fiving....and the 'collecting' (catching/dropping/getting accidentally smashed in face) of empty water bottles at top of St Brides Hill just before/after the feeding station there...lots of them dreaming of Ironmaning in the future I think....Next year have plans of stuffing at least 20 family and friends into our Tenby home to come and scream and shout and bang gatorade bangers and ring cowbells and salute in beer all those insane enough to put themselves through such total torture.....Congrats again all who took part....image

• Options

What an awesome weekend! image      A big, humungous WELL DONE to everyone that did what can only be described as a beast of an Ironman, especially to SA and all my pirate friends.  I am in awe of you all.   To the DNF's ... tough course you will come back stronger next time.    Great  to meet up at "Schmunkee Towers" with Schmunkee, Mouse and Brokebuttrying.  Also to see Cheerful Dave, who popped up for a brew after a stormer of a race.  Well Done.

Just like to say Thankyou Tenby. image 

• Options

Cracking report STIL   image

Jonnybegood wrote (see)

Top Pirating !!

• Options

Thanks Hannah for taking the time to pop into the forum, not only once but twice image

It sounds like you and yours loved the day and the respect for supporters and competitors is mutual.

It is definitely a fun day and I am pleased to hear the residents along the route are fully supportive of the race as without their buy-in the event could not take place.

Me and a fellow supporter were at the top of St Bride's Hill and the gentleman in No 24 brought out two garden chairs for us to sit on as we were facing four or five hours sitting on the kerb/standing.  Not only that, but when my under-dressed friend started the feel the cold, the lady of the house offered her a coat.

Thank you to Tenby/New Hedges/Saundersfoot et al, but in particular the owners of No 24 St Brides Hill