Options

VLM 2012 first timers???

Comments

• Options
    RunningRaRa :  glad your knee is better,  I was unsure about running for charity, and like yourself people kept asking me and telling me that they would sponsor me and who was I running for.  So I thought the best option was too have a collecting tin.  Good luck for your race on Sunday.  I am doing 14miles ..... never run 14 miles before eek !
  • Options
    Morning all - 0643 dragged myself out of bed and waiting for gym to open otherwise no chance of fitting in run today.

Kafeeg - Your posts really resonate with me as I struggle with either believing I can do it or imagining crawling across the finishing line when everyone has long gone.

I know I 've posted this before but my inspiration was meeting Denise Lewis and hearing her post injury story. In hospital with a achilles tendon injury she could only imagine exercise. Then when up - walking to the end of the track was her first goal - and slowly slowly a bit more. Reward - gold medal in Beijing

This was my inspiration and I'm no athlete - I take little steps and I listen - really listen to my body I know the difference between don't run today and get out of bed you lazy watsit!

4.8 miles in one hour Tues - off for 3 today - and aiming for 12 walk run best effort Saturday
    Running Ra RA - Why not hold a sweep stake on your time - I'm doing one which ranges from 3hrs - 10hrs -raises a laugh as well as cash!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

RaRa - I'm the same as you - got a ballot place but not sure about raising money for a charity... I want to do one for "me" and then it others can be for that.... people think i'm crazy enough running anyway image

Kaffeeg - How's the knee this morning? 

Hope that everyone is feeling strong this morning. I went out for a run in -11 and it was a real struggle. I know that i'll be crying on the finish line... when i run i normally get very emotional so don't worry i'll be blubbing!

@Pip - Make sure that you're being controlled with your inhalers. My doctors have been absolutely fantastic with my prescriptions and monitoring my asthma as i've been running.

• Options

RunningRaRa - I know what you mean - when I first started telling people I was running the London Marathon, the first question *everyone* asked as "Who for?". Trying to explain that I had a ballot place and therefore didn't *have* to run for a charity was just met with blank looks.Hope your race goes well on Sunday.

Pip - goodluck with the 14 miles - I've never run further than 13.2M before, so when I reach 14 I'll be a nervous / blubbering wreck!

cregmallin - fantastically early start - well done!

kaffeeg - I've set up a Virgin Money Giving page - but haven't told anyone about it yet. Must add that to the TOP of the To Do list otherwise I won't even raise enoigh to pay for the running vest!

Emmy_bug - I always get really emotional at the start of races. I think I just can't quite believe I'm there! I blubbed at the end of Reading Half last year as well. The stadium finish is quite awesome, and I finally broke 2:30 for a half - queue lots of snotty sniffing when I met my family!

Ran 4 miles yesterday - was supposed to be easy 10 mins, 20 mins tempo then easy 10 mins, but it was just too cold to run at an 'Easy' pace so I guess it was all tempo / stead. I was still creaking for the first 2 miles after Sunday's race, but after that legs felt fine, just a bit tired. Skiving again today, then 2 hours LSR tomorrow.

Happy running everyone who's running today!

• Options
    I'm another ballot winner who has set up the Virgin giving page but not yet told anyone! I have in the back of my mind that as soon as I tell anyone I'm gonna get injured!

I know what you mean about running quicker in the cold, I was out yesterday for 5 and was going to stick to between 10:30 and 11 minutes and I speeded up every mile averaging 9:40! I live on a hill and the 5m route I normally do has a long steep hill during mile 4 and I dont think I have ever done the mile in less than 10:30, I must have sprinted up it as the mile clocked at under 10 minutes!
  • Options
    Well done to everyone for getting out and about in this cold weather, you certainly do feel as if you can run further and faster. It's just unfortunate that come April it will probably be a lot warmer like it has been the last couple of years!

I haven't set up my fund raising page yet, but as I have a ballot place I'm not under any pressure to raise a certain amount. I'm running for TeamPB which is the joint Prostate and Breast cancer charity which is the joint official charities of the London Marathon this year. I primarily chose them as I want to try and raise the awareness of prostate cancer as I think it's something us men don't really think about in the same terms as breast cancer, but it's the most common cancer in men.

I was hoping to go for a swim today as I've eased back on the running this week because of my calf, but I've now got a bit of a stomach bug which means I can't be too far from a loo for too long! It's a bit demoralising as I don't want to miss any training, especially the long run at the weekend. Hopefully I can shift this before then as I don't fancy running 15+ miles feeling like I do at the minute!
  • Options
    Hi all. Just having a look at a couple of your threads about walking at the water stations. It is a great idea. I have done it myself and know of runners who have done the same and still got around in a cracking time. It is better to walk because you want to,not because you have to !! It is totally allowed to walk in both your marathon and your training runs. A walk run policy will help you to get around. I had to give a talk to about 15-20 first time maratoners the other night and that was discussed . There is this thing about running the whole way ( if you can fair enough ) but some people saying if you walk it almost doesn't count . BOLLOCKS! . I walked when I did the Riga marathon 3 years ago at the water stations just to get a little bit of fluid on board and to compose myself and was still really pleased with the outcome. Because I walked it still counted as another successfully completed marathon. So , don't be afraid to walk. If necessary it should be encouraged, especially for first time marathoners, and there is no shame in this whatsoever.
  • Options
    Ha ha Suarez - what are we like! Hooray for the faster running - well done!

Soggs - hope your digestion sorts itself out quickly. Sounds grim.

Kiwiscanfly - wise words. Thank you. Using the water stops as a prompt to walk, get HR down, eat something etc is a good idea. I walked through the water stops on my first HM as it was water in cups and if I ran I would only have thrown it all over myself!
  • Options
    Black and Tabby - Thanks, I'm hoping it sorts itself out soon too. Been in bed since yesterday afternoon and had nothing to eat for over 24 hours, feeling completely wiped out and drained. Can't see me doing a long run this weekend unless I start to pick up today, and even then I doubt it will be a good idea to go too far until I'm feeling 100%. Still I'd rather be I'll for one week now than closer to the marathon.
  • Options

Soggs poor you sounds horrible..... get well soon

Kiwiscanfly....... made me feel better about walking, I would probably choke or dribble water everywhere if I had to drink on the run, not a good look !

did 6 miles last night brrrrrrrr. blooming cold but hoorah no wheezing, just 3 miles tonight and the big 14 on Sunday, next week it all steps up a gear longer runs in the week as well....... trying to stay confidentimage

• Options
    Thanks Philippa, staring to feel more human, even managed some toast, but I don't think a run will be on this weekend, I'll just have to work hard next week to catch up.

Good luck to all of you this weekend with your long runs, hope they all go well and you stay injury free.
  • Options
    Suarezz, hope you're feeling better soon, wise move not to run at weekend!!

Did 13.1 miles today, minus 6 when I set off but sunny and no wind. 2 hours 22 mins, had hoped to be a bit faster!

I can not imagine doing that twice, I know I should be feeling great for having done it but just feel overwhelmed and wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew!

Susie
  • Options

Hello everyone
    Just had a quick read through the thread... I'm coaching 3 of the asics target 262 runners for Paris, including Craig (BoDuke) who is a first-timer. You might find some of the stuff posted on his thread useful.

I think the walking through water stations is a great idea. It gives you a chance to mentally regroup, set your next focus and, of course, actually get some fluid inside you rather than down your t-shirt! Don't be afraid to stop and stretch something if it's feeling tight, either. It's much better to take a few seconds to do this than to run on a tight muscle or stiff joint which just keeps getting worse and worse. Ditto with if you can feel a blister forming.

One of my other runners, Emma, was booked in for a half marathon this weekend but isn't well. She's really struggling with having to 'let it go' but I am advising her to keep the bigger picture in mind. Same goes for anyone umming and aahhing about whether to do their long run this weekend while harbouring a niggle/illness. It's much more sensible to rest/resolve the problem than to run on it. And in the long run, one (or even a couple!) of missed training sessions are not the end of the world. I am not sure anyone ever does every single session in a 16 week marathon programme! image

Good luck with all your training...

• Options

No way Susie - as others have said it's fine to run/walk. We will all get round even if we end up crawling over that finish. I think it's hard sometimes not to put pressure on yourself with this whole marathon thing - and I'm one to talk I've been sulking all week about my knee. We are not going to break any world records - you are doing this for you , you will get round image.

I'm braving the cold to do 13 miles tomorrow (hopefully knee will hold up), I'm looking forward to it as I've X trained all week and haven't run since Sunday. Acutally do you think it is o.k to do 13 miles if I haven't run since Sunday, I have X trained 3 times this week for over an hour each time so hopefully my cardio is still fine.

I've got a place through my running club, and I have decided to raise money as people always ask me if I want donations so I thought why not. I'm raising money for MacMillan who provided amazing care for my Grandad in his last days. I feel like I can give something back. Oh God I'm going to cry my eyes out on the way round thinking of my Grandparents - it is going to be emotional.

• Options
    Thanks Susie, but think the get well was for someone else, though its hard to keep up with who posted what! Though there will be no running for me this weekend as i brought forward my LSR to today and managed to do another 15 1/2 miler and took off 6 minutes from last weeks attempt at the same distance. Two weeks til my half so not sure what I'll do next weekend, as I think my plan has a longish run but I may just do about 10.

On half marathons has anyone got any thought about what strategy they will undertake? As its a flat course I am tempted to go for a PB (10 min miles) but think the risk of injury may not be worth it and I may just aim to go for steady 10 1/2 min/miles.
  • Options

great advice Rebecca and Sam.

It is also better to go into a marathon a little undertrained than over trained, because you know you can walk if you want to, rather than just find you are not recovered properly. A coaching / running friend of mine ran the Gloucester marathon recently and his legs gave way at 19.5 mles. It was not a refuelling issue , it was the fact he ran a 20 mile training run 2 weeks out from the marathon, (plus one or two other reasons ) however he was not properly recovered and did not have a proper taper. A 4 week taper is the bizz. It really takes a month to properly recover, most certainly from a marathon ( 4-6- weeks), so this is why you cut mileage drastically in your taper. This friend of mine is a 1.17 half marathoner, so he learnt alot from going into the marathon with tired legs. To put things into perspective, if you walked around 26.2 miles at 3 MPH you would cover the marathon in 9 hours, if you did it in 4 miles an hour you would get around in 7 hours, if you run/walk around in 5mph you would get around in 5 hours, and what is wrong with that. I may have already said this in an earlier post, I can't remember. It is in Hal Higdons book and really gets the message across that  1)  it is ok to walk and 2)  That if you take it steady you will finish.

• Options

Soggs - glad you're feeling a little better. I was going o suggest diluted sports drink if you have any - the sugar & salts is what you need. Wise not to run - you'll be dehydrated as well as tired. Get well soon.

Susiebuzz - well done on your run today! I did 10M in 2 hours, had also hoped to be faster, but I think I'm still tired from the race on Sunday, and my right calf is feeling niggly as well. Also had a 'comfort break' (well I happened to run past a public loo, and I thought "There's NO WAY I'm popping behind a bush in this weather. So I'm going now whether I need to or not!" I also had to stop and retie one of my shoes as it was feeling really loose & floppy. It was -5 when I set off, and by the time I got back it had 'warmed up' to 0C. Brr! Don't panic - still lots of time to train - I'm not even a third of the way through my schedule image

Rebecca - see how it goes tomorrow. If you've not run all week then 13 might be a stretch - but your body will tell you!

Phillipa - hope its not too cold tonight, and best of luck for Sunday. 14 miles - eeeeek!image

SamMurphyRuns - thanks for your words of advice. We're a paranoid, emotional, scared bunch on this thread (well - I am anyway!) so any advice is gratefully received. We *will* do it though image

• Options
    can't begin to catch up but loving the walk run advice!
    Soggs hope you feel better soon
    black and tabby 10m in two hours is brilliant

I'm having a naughty night tonight which may scupper my run tomorrow - also thinking of trying for 12 on the treadmill as too bloody cold outside - I'll have to time it when somthing good on telly ha ha.

have a good weekend
  • Options

Sorry guys & girls image

i've been away for a break as Phillip went to respite

fuelling ??

i keep to a normal diet personally, and i drink on average 2.5 litres a day - mainly water and fruit squash and  black coffee and cappachino and oxo

IMHO- fuelling should be done 3 days before any race, all remains then is just to nibble , nothing to be gained from trying to fuell in last 3 days

also, i would stick to the devil you know, however boring it bay see to be - there ample time after race day to experiment

as with physical fitness levels - tapers are there for a reason, you cannot change your fitness 14- 21 days before hand -  as said by someone undertrained slighly is better than injured or overtrained and tired

you want to go into VLM fresh

• Options
    Suarez, getting confused again! Meant for Soggs! ( hi soggs!)
    I'm having the same dilemma for my half marathon on 26th feb. I've only done two before, both great north runs and got times of 2.14 and 2.21, both not perfect training as had achilles injury and hip injury! On the one hand I think it would be good for my confidence to get 10 min miles but I also think it was blooming hard today, 13.1 miles in 2 hrs 22 and can I really beat that without getting injured! (only 10 min 50s splits)
    Feel a bit frustrated, not a natural runner but my perfectionist traits making me feel like I should be able to do it better and faster - wish I could just appreciate where I'm at now without always feeling like I'm not quite reaching the standard!!

Susie
  • Options
    Rebecca, good luck with your run tomorrow
    Black and Tabby - your comfort break made me laugh!
    Cregmalin, enjoy your naughty night, we all need them!
    Kiwiscanfly - any tips on how to tackle a half as part of training, run it at marathon pace or going for PB?
  • Options
    hi all

thanks for all the kind words everyone. means a lot!! boring my partner with my obssesion with my leg! which is feeling better by the way! still sore, but not a deep pain like last few days....believe that i will be able to run on tuesday as pyhsio said.

soggs - glad you feeling better.

cregmalin - amazing story of denise lewis....very inspiring.

as my friend said: people do the marathon with no limbs, or have serious illnesses - i've just got shin splints and need to et over myself. my friends know how to be direct!

did my aqua jogging yesterday - gosh it's hard trying to stay in one spot. has anyone else done it? not sure i'm doing it right!

good luck for everyones long runs this weekend....watch out for that snow! i've got my long run in the pool.....boring!
  • Options

Kafeeg keep going with your aqua jogging long run,  I wen to auqa aerobics [ once !!] hated it as swimming is not my strongest thing ....... [petrified of water, made myself learn to swim]  just didn't like being splashed by the other aqua aerobic bods, so i think you are very brave and will end up being super, dooper fit !

soggs; Glad you are feeling better, try mashed potato [ yum] much nicer than toast.

Black and tabby:  blooming cold but let it not be said we are fair weather runners, I donned my pink woolly hat and off I went....... can just about feel my nose now !!!!  but RESPECT to those of you who run in the mornings blimey must be absolutely freezing then.

susiebuzz jolly well done on your run today

pip

• Options

Hi Susiebuzz

Certainly. Any tune up race within your marathon training schedule is beneficial. It really depends on you. A competitive runner who is after a quick marathon time, or running it to either improve or get a PB uses tune up races ( 10k-half marathon ) to gauge their fitness levels and get in something fast to help their speed as well.  When you race it activates something called sympathetic neuron arousal. IE, the atmosphere and buzz, also the thought of competing raises your performance. Your body pumps adrenaline and your brain gets you into race mode and activates everything inside you to help you perform better. That is why you normally run faster and better on race days. HOWEVER, for first time marathoners you get some of these benefits, but you should not be too worried about getting PB's or anything like that. You are not aiming at improving your speed for the marathon, just to finish. Save the fast stuff for any future marathons you may do after your first. Use your half ( when is it ?) as a practise for your marathon. Have a go at drinking on the run, try and run it on the same day as the day your marathon will be on ( Normally Sunday morning ) and wear exactly what you will wear in your long runs and  your marathon. You will also get the benefits of running in a race atmosphere which will help prepare you for yout marathon both mentally and physically without having to tear around at some stupidly fast speed.  By not running too quickly you will also reduce the risk of injuries.

All in all run your half marathon to enjoy it and to get some race experience and try to channel this towards your marathon. The ideal time to run a half is 6 weeks out from your marathon. This can be in between 2 long runs in you training ( it would be a step back week ) giving you a couple of weeks to still peak at maximum mileage and have a 3-4 week taper ( I really like 4 week tapers , don't forget recovery is paramount ).

I am running th Bath Half marathon exactly 6 weeks before the VLM and for my training this is just perfect. If your half marathon is earlier than 6 weeks before London, no problem, still take it as I have said. Just re arrange your schedule to fit it in. Even though you should not be running it too quickly, it will still be hugely beneficial. ALSO to answer your question about running it at GMP ( goal marathon pace). great idea to practise whst you think is your GMP. It is less distance so if you have some sort of pace you are looking at for the marathon you can certainly do this. But as I said you are not looking at really running the VLM in any real particular time. JUST FINISHING. If you run a second or third marathon, then you can look at improving.

I really hope this makes sense

Cheers Susie

• Options

Great advise kiwiscanfly - I get a bit hung up on what pace I should be doing but truth I only have a rough idea as I'm new to running. I have tried to tell myself to use this VLM for experience and not be too disapointed with my time.

Kaffeeg glad to hear your leg is feeling better. Good luck with your run

Hope everyone's weekend runs go well x

• Options
    Hi Rebecca. Just to add to previously, it is also a good idea to aim at running you first marathon at about 15-20 minutes slower than your predicted finish time. Again, this will mean you have a much better chance of getting around and if you run  a second marathon you will do a PB next time round.
  • Options
    Good morning to everyone and thanks for the get well messages image Feeling a bit better today after a bit of a relapse yesterday evening. Gutted that I won't be able to get out there and run this weekend (never thought I'd be saying that!) but I know my body needs to recover properly.

Hope you all enjoy your runs today or tomorrow, it's perfect weather out there, nice and cold so hopefully all your runs go well.

Philippa - I'll try the mash potato, sounds a much better option than the toast!
  • Options
    thanks phillipa and rebecca. did my long run in the pool today. feel good for it. leg is fine after (no extra pain to what there already is!).........it's the way to go for me.

soggs - i share your pain. but, i just keep thinking the resting is PART of the training- right? by not running, you're 'not 'not doing anything', you're resting and recovering, which is really important. you'll get there!

kiwiscanfly - sounds like good advice.
  • Options
    ITS SNOWING !!!!!!!!  DISASTER  if it sticks what do I do about my long run tomorrow ? do I do that distance next week but then lose a week off my plan ...... any thoughts pleaseimage  hopefully it will turn to rain, so like you soggs never thought i would say it but be really disappointed if I can't run even bought some dried fruit especially for my runimage
  • Options
    phillipa - disaster! are you a member of a gym and can you go on the treadmill? or just go into a gym for tomorrow only?