Options

VLM 2012 first timers???

Comments

• Options

Just catching up on 10 days worth of posts.  Interesting stuff there.

Glad to see others were as confused as I was with the contradictory advice.  I've read and heard for years that you shouldn't go beyond 22 miles in training then lo and behold this months RW recommends doing 29 miles!!!  I'll stick with the RW program that I'm on which doesn't exceed the 22.

Did 14 miles on Sunday averaging just under 9 min miles so on target for the sub 4 I'm desperate for.  Knee is hurting quite a bit today which I think is due to lack of x training on my behalf.  Is everyone else managing to fit in the odd bike ride & gym session?  Where do you find the time what with 4 or 5 runs a week?

The cheerpoint referred to at 17 miles is the RW one (I think) - there's another thread somewhere about it.

Good luck this week everyone image 

• Options
    *faints at the thought of 29 miles*
  • Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    shit shit shit shit shit. stupid stupid stupid leg. i knew i shouldn't go running today, managed a whole 8minutes and now can barely walk again. how the hell am i going to do this marathon when every time i try to build the milage back up i get anoth set back. i'm stretching evy day, doing everything the physio says (expect i ran a mile longer on sunday than he told me too.......i know, i know) got physio again tomorrow......arrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

(17 mile cheer point - there is a thread called vlm runneres and supporters, put your name down and people will cheer you at the 17 mile mark! )
  • Options

Hi All,

Just been catching up with the posts as haven't been on here for a while.  Good to see everybody's working hard!

Kaffeeg - I feel your pain, I've been off running for the last week and a half trying to sort out a thigh problem. One day it feels ok then the next it's not so good again, it's so frustrating!!  Hoping to try a short run this week and see how it goes. Trying my best to stop the doubts creeping into my head about whether I'll get to run it this year, it's difficult! image

• Options

Sorry for the confusion about the 17 Mile cheerpoint. Its on this thread here (hope that works!) A group of RW forumites man a cheerpoint at mile 17, and if you add yourself to the list they'll look out for you. I believe you can also drop stuff off at the Expo on the RW stall, and they'll have it at the cheerpoint for you.

Survived the hilly / muddy race on Sunday. Boy it was hard! It was also  foggy and freezing, the last hill felt vertical but I DID IT! (and I'm still wearing the t-shirt to prove it!) Managed a staggering recovery run yesterday, but I feel really exhausted and cold-y today, so rather than run 3 days 'on the trot' I think I'llgive myself a day off today and just stay warm and snuggly.

Kaffeeg - aagghhh! on your behalf, and geena as well. Hope physio is helpful? More magic tape???

Just learnt I may have to go to a family wedding on the day of Bath HM. Not confirmed yet, but I'm really upset about it. Wanted to beat last year's time, its a great event and was going to be my big race in preparation for VLM i.e wearing charity vest, practising on-the-go nutrition,  looking out for Dermot O'Leary etc.  Sigh -guess I'll know for definite this week, so if I'm not around I may well be sulking ....

Waves to everyone else

• Options

Ohh Kaffeeg, I really feel for you it must be soooo frustrating. I'm off running most of this week because of a stupid knee, I'm going to try a short run on Wednesday and probably not run again until Sunday to really rest it. It is so frustrating when your head wants to go but your body doesn't ! I really hope the physio can help you out.

Geena P, hope your thigh is up too running again soon.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

((to all those suffering from injuries)). It's better to rest now than risk it later on when the major mileage is piling up.

Did a 5 miler in the freezing cold this morning and really felt it. I find that if my head isnt "in it" then i really struggle.

• Options
    It looks like quite a few people on here have little niggles at the minute which isn't surprising considering all the mileage that's being done, but as Emmy_bug said, it's best to rest now and recover than aggravate the injury later.

I'm still struggling a bit with one of my calves being painful no matter how much I stretch before going out to run. I did 14 miles at the weekend and it went ok, but towards the end it started to hurt, and then when I ran last night I could feel it again so I'm going to rest mine until the weekend and try and ice it as much as I can. I'm looking at trying out some compression socks to see if that helps, does anyone have any recommendations?

Reading back through some of the posts I noticed that a lot of people are doing 4 or 5 runs a week plus either gym work or swimming. How do people find the time for all this? I know you need to put the effort and mileage in, but I struggle to get 3 runs in and maybe a swim if I'm lucky. I just hope I'm not underdoing it!
  • Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    thanks guys. i'm still sulking with my leg.....but need to get over myself.
    moving all my training back in the pool again.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Soggs - have you tried elevating your leg or taking some anti-inflammatories? I'd always suggest going to a sports doctor/physio just to double check that there's nothing more serious wrong?

For me - my training is 3 times a week with an optional 4th run and then gym. I'm normally out there at stupid hours (5am) trying to get in my training before work/life takes over. For me; it's about priorities and making sure that i'm taking the time for my training and that means some things go to the wayside (e.g. some nights out image).

• Options
    Hi all. Haven't been on the thread for ages. How is everyone's VLM training going??
  • Options
    Missed a run today, work, school concert, hob nobs and Chardonnay kind of got in the way!!! If I didn't work and have kids marathon training would be a lot easier I reckon!
    Still back in the saddle tomorrow, 6 miles half marathon pace here I come!! Woo Hoo!
  • Options

Hi everyone,

Kaffeeg, soggs and geena p ....... keeping my fingers and toes crossed for your injuries. Stay positive.

Black and Tabby blimey your run sounded like blooming hard work on Sunday.... well done you !

kiwiscanfly  welcome back .... where have you been ??????

Well did my run tonight only 3 miles as instructed ...... flipping cold even wore my woolly hat !!  Wasn't the greatest run ever as cold weather causes a few problems with my asthma, but hey I coughed and wheezed my way around .  Word has got around that I am doing the marathon and lots of people chatting to me about it in work, not sure if that was a good thing or not as I feel even more scared nowimage

• Options
    Philiipa, you may already do this but always worth taking a couple of puffs of salbutamol before you run even if not wheezy and it can prevent exercise induced eczema. Susie
  • Options

Hi  susiebuzz

yes always carry my inhaler [ ever since I was told ' this could save your life' ] two puffs before I start also have a preventer[steroid inhaler] as well, but bit of a tinker about using it...... don't like to admit I am asthmatic....... silly I know.

• Options

Phillipa - dont worry about your colleagues knowing about your marathon - when you need to dig deep around the 20 + mark, it's the thought of them asking on the Monday how you got on that will spur you on image

• Options

Chardonnay sounds good Susie !

I did 1 hour on the x trainer tonight, my knees are still being rubbish. I'm seeing my Dr about something else tomorrow but think I'm going to mention my knees see what they suggest. Going to try a 7 mile run tomorrow see what happens, but I'll be x training the rest of the week as I don't have a sitter so have to train at home image Probably for the best so my knees get a good rest.

• Options

hi all

rebecca - hope the knees holds out - def talk to doctor about it....always good to get advice!

How's everyone else doing?

i went to the phsyio again today...still limping. He told me off (this seems to be a reoccuring habit of his!).  I made a 'catalogue of errors' apparently. 1) i forgot to phone him after my 5 mile run to see how it went. 2) i went running for one mile longer on sunday than I should of. 3) i didn't tape my leg up right so that the bandage slipped down during the run and I got no support on my leg. 

Sooooooo....no running until tuesday and then for 5 miles only.  I can not increase my mileage for now.  I need to be extremely cautious with my running. I can do my aqua jogging and see how it goes, I can do work in the gym. 

he reassured me that I can still do the marathon - i was in a good shape with getting better before this set back, but it is not that bad.  As long as i do EVERYTHING HE SAYS, it will be ok. 

He was very sweet. I nearly cried and he spent quite a long time reassuring me.

Bascially - my training really needs to be re-thought. I think I can not build up the mileage for a few weeks and then only really slowly. So my longest run may only be 18 miles and i may only get to do that once or twice. But - there you go, I want to get to that start line. I am fully determined to do it, much better to build up slowly than to not get there.  I'm still training so it's not like i'm not - and people do it on less training right???

• Options
    @ Emmy_bug I have been elevating as much as I can, but I do tend to be active on my feet for most of the time, I just can't sit still! I have started taking some ibuprofen to see if this helps, as well as leaving the running for a few days, fingers crossed.

@ Philippa Thanks, I'm definitely keeping positive image

@ kaffeeg Sorry to hear you're having to go back to the drawing board with your training, but it sounds like you've got a good physio who knows what he's on about, and if he says you will do it then you will. It's hard not to let things get to you mentally with regards to doing the marathon, I'm sure we've all had those moments thinking there's no way we'd be able to do it, but try and stay positive, you're doing everything right (now anyway image ) and you will get there, we all will.
  • Options
    Phillipa, you are naughty not using your preventer inhaler, would save you a lot of grief!

Kaffeeg, I can understand you are worried but you won't finish at all if you stay injured and I'm sure since two 18 mile runs will be enough. My longest run will be 3hours 30 mins which prob won't be much different. Have you thought about run/walk? I've got jeff Galloway book on this and he reckons most people can improve their time and reduce injury by putting in walk breaks - I sometimes think about doing this, even 30s every mile is supposed to make a difference! Hang on in there!

Rebecca, how was your run ? Have you seen a physio about your knees. Have you checked your wearing the right type of running shoes, I got knee pain until I changed to more motion control shoes as I am a but flat footed!

Soggs, hope things better for you!

Everyone else? What's new?

Did 6 miles today, hilly run, just under an hour - was hoping to do 10 minute miles for my half marathon in 4 weeks but not sure I can maintain it. Makes me wonder what pace is actually realistic for the marathon - is anyone planning to have walk breaks?

Susie
  • Options

Kafeeg  I am sure all will be well, just do as you are told, and as your physio says [ he/she sounds brilliant] your fitness levels now will probably get you round, and as I keep telling myself sheer guts and determination will get me round if my legs turn to jelly.  And I am sure the same applies to you and probably all of us image

I just think wouldn't it be great if we could all line up together and encourage, and prob in my case pull each other round.    I know that's not going to happen but quite a nice thought.

susiebuzz  I feel thoroughly told off , I am hanging my head in shame image

We will do this, all of usimage

• Options

thanks all - can't tell how good it is to get this support! Yay - We CAN all do it!

philipa f - it would be great to all line up together!  Maybe it is possible........!  Some of us have to be starting at the same start line, surely??  Anyways - I'll be easy to spot - the one limping in last!!

soggs - hope you heal up.  Resting sounds like a good plan. 

Susie - good advice.  I think I will be running/walking the marathon - might be the only way I get to complete it.  At the moment I'm thinking of walking every time I'm going to have a drink - which I think will be about every 20 minutes or so.  Might just walk for 30seconds - 1 minute whilst i re-fuel and then carry on........what are you planning?

• Options

Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone.  I shall be attempting a run tonight, will be a very short one but I hope it goes well and I can get back into my training image

Kafeeg, hang on in there, you'll make it, your determination will see you round for sure!

Philippa, as well the meds have you tried wearing a buff round your neck and pulling it up over your mouth when running in really cold weather?  It can really help if cold air sets your asthma off.  Doesn't work so well if you wear glasses though, they tend to get steamed up! image

• Options

Kaffeeg yes and I will be the one wheezing and sobbing at the end.

Geena p couldn't move last night as had some many layers on, have been told better to breathe in and out through nose as that way you take in warm air..... sort of works up to a point better then i forget to breathe ........... I'll be fine........ I have to beimage

• Options

Kaffeeg, Im sure you can do it. I think it is as much about mental strength as physical - just believe in yourself image.

I have read the advise about walking everytime you take a drink, it sounds like a good plan. I really dont' think I would have any chance of running/jogging for 26.2 miles straight.

What times has everyone put on their forms, that will determine what start line we are at. I put 4.30 - not that I think I can do that someone just advised me to as you get stuck with a lot of walker at 5 hours and it can be hard to move.

My knee is still protesting, I've decided to X Train all week and try running again on Sunday. I have a X trainer at home so can watch t.v and lose myself on it for an hour or so each night. The Dr said as there is no swelling or severe pain it is probably just 'mechanical pain', and I just have to keep an eye on it. So fingers crossed all is alright by Sunday for my long run.

Soggs - hope you are feeling better soon.

• Options
    Rebecca I will prob walk at water stations, much easier than trying to drink on the run and I said 4.30 as well, going to dig out our wii to do some stretching exercises.   It really helped me last year when I couldn't run for 5 weeks when I injured my foot.   It stopped me from going mad !!
  • Options

thanks all!

Do need to start believing in myself - too scared to keep asking people to sponsor me incase I don't make it to the start line! 

How is other people's fundraising going?  I've got just over £500 so another £1000 to go!  Crickey!

When did they send out a form with the estimated time?  I can't remember filling that out....if I did I think i must have put 5 - 5 1/2 hours down......

• Options

Kaffeeg ; I am running for local animal charity going to have a collecting box in our waiting room so people can put money in if they want [too shy to go round asking people]  haven't got it started yet didn't want to temp fate by doing it too early.   You would have given your estimated time when you filled in your application form in october.

pip

• Options

Blimey - I have no idea what time I put on mine! PB for a HM is 2:29, so I must have put over 5 hours on it image

Hugs & support to all the poorly ones - we'll all there, one way or another!

• Options
    Having got a ballot place I still haven't decided on a charity yet. I've run for the local hospice before but a large part of me, returning from injury, doesn't want the additional pressure. After 3years unable to run properly I kind of want to do this one just for me. Trouble is with this being THE LONDON MARATHON people look at you funny if you don't run for charity. Anyone else not raising money? Perhaps I'll just have a collecting tin at work and for those who ask?

PS knees improved this week. 6 miler on Monday. 12 mile bike ride Tuesday. 3 miles today. Aiming for 10k race this Sunday so no long run for me...another gentler week for patellas...