Options

RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Sorry to carp on such a wonderful occasion but I have to agree with some posters saying that starting the 10k at the same time and place was not ideal. It was pretty congested in the first 10k and I am sure I was not alone in wasting energy bobbing and weaving just to avoid bumping into other runners. Perhaps something could be done about this next time. Still seems churlish to complain, though.

• Options
    I did get my long runs in this year - 5 over 20 - 1x20, 1x21, 2x22 and 1x30 ultra run

I took it steady on all of these - 9 min miles or so so recovery wasn't too hard.

Combined with some very fast mile intervals and 3 spin classes a week and a long bike ride - it was decent enough for me. Average milage wasn't very good at 35 mpw but it was almost all focused miles. Very happy to pb with 3.09.

The weather was on our side massively. I can't think how it could have been better.

Compare it with today - yuk !!

Thanks Alan - you did say you booked the weather.
  • Options

Thanks for the info alan, did you have drop back weeks between your 22's and 24?

• Options
    I didn't have any problems in the first mile.

I can't see any other way to run the races really ?

10k was only 25% of the field and they should have been running faster than most marathoners.

I was v tempted to turn off and finish the 10k "by mistake" though....image
  • Options

I was tempted to go home when i was going round sefton park as I was soooo tired (I live right by there) I am so glad I didn't. By the time I was back on Princes Avenue I was vowing never again......then by Monday already planning to do it next year with proper training. ( I had been training up to August but circumstances intervened) I hadn't even been trying out power drinks or anything and found it such a boost when I tried it just before the tunnel I could notice a sharp rise in my energy and spirits.

Don't tell me off....

• Options

Hello!

We recently launched a revolutionary new website that I figure should be of interest to many of you running fiends.

It's a sponsorship tool, with a big twist. Instead of asking friends for cash, you ask for action.

It's all about inspiring your friends to live more sustainably, in a fun, supportive, social and upbeat kind of way. You do a running challenge (or a triathlon); they do a DoAction. Their sponsorship is counted in CO2 saved. Because the environment needs our action more than it needs our cash.

So if you fancy doing your next run for a great cause, raising support from your friends, adding to your motivation, but you don't like the idea of asking them for money, then check out www.thedonation.org.uk and get doing!

Give me a shout if you have any questions,

Thanks,

Harriet

• Options

Just to confirm the inclusion of the 10K will be the same next year. It's not possible organise any other way due to impositions for road opening requirements for commercial businesses along the route.

Think about it... whichever way you send runners off, the fastest runners following behind will catch up soonest because they are the same course.

If we could do it another way then I would have doneimage 

• Options

Already agreed to sign up for an ultra in march - the endurance life sussex 33.7m if anyone has done it let me know

• Options

Excellent day, very well organised & thanks Alan.

All going well up to 17ish for me then calf cramped up and had to run/walk/stretch, half way in 2:07 so was on target for 4:30 but came in at 4:42.Was short on training though & did 9,10,12,16,20 as my long runs so hardly surprising I lacked endurance. Sub 4 hopefully in London.

Thought the 10k may have been an issue but it wasn't for me (well apart from seeing them peel off to their finish!), tunnel was good fun & the reception on the exit was amazing.

Some very good times on here, well done all.

• Options

Wow just watched the video of the first woman coming in and she looked broken, gave it everything by the looks of things.

• Options

Race pics are up on Marathonfoto.com

Event is "Run Liverpool Marathon" 

Plenty of pics to choose from !

• Options

Great day returning to the city with 3 of my friends from the North East. Like King Kenny I went through half way in 2.07 but the tunnel kind of got me. Forgot that it is still uphill for about another 400m outside the tunnel. Got through 18 miles in 2.58 but went backwards then. Had to walk half way up after passing Cains brewery ( Cougie I may have shouted you there on the other side with Pirate top on??). Found it a slog from then on but got to the finish in 4.55. The aim was just to finish being my first marathon. It's a lot further than a half though!!

Thanks Alan and team. Everyone was fantastic along the course and even from a Liverpool supporter the Everton crew at about mile 24 or 25 were great encouragement to us nearer the back of the field.

Next year..........who knowsimage

• Options

KK - she broke her ankle at 5 miles but didn't realise!!

• Options

From what I saw the 10k runners mixed fine. A pal did the 10k and was starting to speed up at about 5.5 miles, marathon runner along side him said "for gods sake, I hope you are doing the 10k !" image

Best giggle of the day was the Superman guy, in full gear, cape etc, we gave him a cheer, and some comments, he replied "sod it, wish I still had the power to fly !". Lots of happy smiling people though. Course definitely seemed to run better with the alterations seems to be what most friends are saying.

I didn't run Liverpool remember, out supporting all you guys for 6 hours and sore quads still, but same as cougie last marathon sub 3:30 I did 5 x 20, with 1 x 21, 1 x 24m hilly LDWA event, all slow. Again 35miles 3 days running a week, long run , speed & tempo run, Circuit & a speed strength class rather than his spinning & bike. 2 rest days. Just entered 2nd ultra.

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

I heard about the women's winner last night, a colleague of my sister's. Respect is due for that. Great time, imagine what'd she do when fit. Amazing.

• Options

Blimey - just watched the video - she's amazing !!

• Options

just watched the video, what an awesome lady!! there was me at mile 22 struggeling to put one foot in front of the other having a bloody good whinge to myself and then you see this woman and your liittle aches and pains all of a sudden seem to be soo insignificant!!!

• Options
    Ultra cougie wrote (see)
    I did get my long runs in this year - 5 over 20 - 1x20, 1x21, 2x22 and 1x30 ultra run

I took it steady on all of these - 9 min miles or so so recovery wasn't too hard.

Combined with some very fast mile intervals and 3 spin classes a week and a long bike ride - it was decent enough for me. Average milage wasn't very good at 35 mpw but it was almost all focused miles. Very happy to pb with 3.09.

The weather was on our side massively. I can't think how it could have been better.
    Compare it with today - yuk !!

Thanks Alan - you did say you booked the weather.

Well done on that PB, Looks like you dont have to worry about those 15 seconds for a GFA time now image.

Sounds like everything went to plan for most people, I decided not to run having done Chester the weekend before and still feeling it in my legs, not worth risking injury with other events coming up.

I am planning on doing it next year

• Options

Nope - no worries with GFA this year !

It was a perfect day for it - I think Chester was pretty good too ?

Don't blame you on not running 2 back to back - I won't be up to much for weeks !

• Options

26 minute video is on www.run247.com. Brilliant. Great work Paul Shanley!!

Put the kettle on, click on, re-live!!

• Options

erm I just went to buy my marathon photos and the website wants around 55 notes from me. is this some sort of mistake? Seems pretty steep.

• Options

The prices are always high for these.  But if you dont get them straight away they'll be emailing you with discounts in a few months time. Usually anyway......

• Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I was also very tempted to peel off to the 10k finish - at the time, all I could think of was that I wished I'd asked you if I'd still get a 10k medal if I had a marathon number on and finished at the 10k finish, Alan! (for future reference, could you answer this please? image )

It was inspired putting the Cadets in Sefton Park - they were totally the best marshalls and just when spirits were sinking a little low.

• Options

Liverpool Marathon Fantastic image   Very well Organised great course lovely scenery and the crowd support was Amazing all the way round, Especially coming out off the tunnel with the Drummers, 1st time doing Liverpool and Won't be the last, Liverpool is a Lovely place and everyone was so Friendly,   Me and my girlfriend got new PB so made it even better  image  Can't Wait till next year, Keep up the great work

• Options

Just to let you know Mrs. Chops (from RW Forum) helped out as part of the lead cycle convoy. She looked like she was enjoying it from where I was sat in my BMW lead car!!

• Options

Inspiring indeed , 3:01 with a broken ankle

• Options
    Harriet Rockliff wrote (see)

Hello!

We recently launched a revolutionary new website that I figure should be of interest to many of you running fiends.

It's a sponsorship tool, with a big twist. Instead of asking friends for cash, you ask for action.

It's all about inspiring your friends to live more sustainably, in a fun, supportive, social and upbeat kind of way. You do a running challenge (or a triathlon); they do a DoAction. Their sponsorship is counted in CO2 saved. Because the environment needs our action more than it needs our cash.

So if you fancy doing your next run for a great cause, raising support from your friends, adding to your motivation, but you don't like the idea of asking them for money, then check out www.thedonation.org.uk and get doing!

Give me a shout if you have any questions,

Thanks,

Harriet

Great idea!  I've banked that one for next time as money isn't always appropriate everytime but action motivation can be a great filler in between

• Options
    Is it just me or is anyone else in agony after Sundays marathon, trying to walk in general but a specially going down stairs.Any tips to help aid recovery would be a great help.
  • Options

Molka, was it your first one? I couldnt walk down stairs for about 3 days after my first one but your body somehow learns to get over them quicker. I was running for the bus the morning after this one

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Ultra Cougie-I finished in 3.09 .51 so we must have been crossing the line pretty much at the same time. You did it on minimal weekly mileage .I ran 50-55 on avearge and did 10 LRs from 17-21 miles and inaddition did some tri training for a sprint tri I did in September.

I thought the 10k worked well and there was no congestion whatsoever unlike the major international city marathons ive done.I had to smile watching so many bomb off at the start 6 minute miling and there were a lot of marathon runners in that crowd.

Molka-my quads are shot at so you are not the only one.I managed a 2k swim this lunchtime dragging my legs behind me.

Nykie-i felt the same about the 10k- pity we couldnt have gone through the finish been handed our medal as we ran through and then carried on with the marathon.