Options

pilgrim challenge 2012

Comments

• Options

Bear - I have now covered the course (in stages) from Farnham until the end of The Denbies Estate. A sign post was down, and I did not have my book with me, so turned back at that point. So basically from there to the finish!

Jeremy - The Winter Tanners is organised by the Long Distance Walking Association (check out their website they put on some very cool events that are amazingly cheap). The start is in Leatherhead.

Agree about the extra long run!

Edited to say that in theory Jeremy you should be able to follow the sign posts all the way on The Pilgrims. I am so directionally challenged that I take a guide book that is written for idiots. Trust me my legs are going to struggle with the 33 miles. Can't afford any extra distance due to getting lost.
  • Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    What guidebook do you have? Might be a better option than having to get 2xOS maps and a good thing to keep too

I'm hoping for at least reasonably dry weather - 33miles in the rain is not something I want to contemplate!
  • Options

I have this book: North Downs Way (National Trail Guide) [Paperback].

I am so sad that I am going to photocopy the bit from the Denbie Estate to the finish if I don't get time to run it, so I don't have to carry the book.

Don't pick up on my paranoia, you'll be fine, but the book is interesting, and it gives historical details about the route which I found interesting.

On the whole the weather has been very kind to us runners. I have some new trail shoes, and a new waterproof gore running jacket, as well as a new back pack which should be arriving this week. Have to get out there and break them in.

• Options
    Another very detailed guide is the one from the British Walking Guide series.  Detailed hand drawn maps.  Quite small and light.  Only disadvantage is that if you still manage to get lost
    smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

and stray too far from path can be difficult to re orientate yourself using this it alone.
  • Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

How's everyone doing? Back from offshore so the next week is planned to get a couple of long runs in and then have a short taper.

• Options

Hi Jeremy, you on an oil rig?

Ran The Winter Tanners (20 miles) and that was a lovely day out. Hoping for the same weather we had for that, cold, but dry for The Pilgrims.

Fairly sure my legs will never make day 2. Bear, you've done this before, will they only award a medal if you make both days if that is what you have signed up for?
  • Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Htf yes I work offshore so the last 2 weeks I have spent many a boring hour on a treadmill.
    Never thought about the fact that if I don't finish day 2 I won't get a medal! Got me worried now!
  • Options

I had to 'leap frog' one of the cps on both the Toad Challenge and Round Island events the year before last due to foot problems and still got medal + shirt for each one.  Also as the event is open to those who just want to do a single day there must be a 33mile finisher's medal if you manage one full day.

Neil wants to be as encouraging as possible so I think he would probably feel that it is the effort rather than actual distance is what counts and should be rewarded.

• Options
    Hi all,
    I did a recce run from Farnham to Box Hill on Monday. planning to do the Box Hill to Merstham section tomorrow. The trail was in excellent condition and signage in good shape. Not much mud and the trail was fairly compact. Not sure how that might have changed with the last two days of rain.
    I think everyone should have an excellent time out on the trail. See you at the start.
  • Options

A question for those who have done this course; how much water would you recommend carrying. I have an OMM ultra pack with a 650ml water bottle, would it be worth getting another bottle ?

Thanks

Guy

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Good to hear Ian, especially the signage!!
    Guy I believe there are 4 checkpoints so as long as they are evenly spaced you may be ok, depends how much you need. I'll be taking my camelbak with approx 2l.
    I've been getting the miles in but not as many long runs as I'd like. Have decided to go for 9am start and day 2 may just be a long walk!
    Been looking at the weather on the 10 day forecast - how sad am I!
  • Options
    Thanks Jeremy. Over the past month I done loads of short runs but struggled with the long ones due family commitments and illness. I'll pobably get some sort of hydration pack this weekend and must buy a headtorch as well.
  • Options

Good luck all - meant to do a final burst up wretched Box Hill steps yesterday but decided less is more at this stage.  The only style on the way has been replaced by a kissing gate image.  As for water - being a slow old Bear don't need much so will probably only carry 1lt max. 

• Options

Looking foward to this one, I'm doing the MDS this year so this will give me a good idea of my fitness levels.  Still considering how much weight i should carry, don't want get injured before the MDS! See ya there, traveling from Portsmouth image

• Options

Have now started a list of things I will require. First Ultra, first multi-day.

Top of list... sleeping bag!

Serious nerves, and WTF was I thinking when I entered this is how I am feeling at the moment.

Really hope there are some real slow coaches entered image
  • Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    HTF top of my list is ibuprofen! Same nerves and WTF here. I feel my fitness is very good but not sure I have done enough long runs. What start time are you? I'm 10am but think I might have to shift to 9 and go slow if I want a chance of doing day 2.
    Looks like it will be cold but hopefully dry.
  • Options

Morning Jeremy, good idea about the ibuprofen!

My start time is 9am and thinking of moving to the 8am slot!

Cold, but dry would be far preferable to wet. Just hope that I get the balance of clothing right. Worried about getting too cold when I am walking! I know the answer then is to run, but my legs and I are not always in agreement.

If you are quick enough to make the 10am slot, then I am sure you will romp it in image I am just hoping to get back before it is pitch black.
  • Options
    htf - however slow you are there will almost certainly be a Bear Behind you!   I'm normally either last or within the final 3 and that's only if the other 2 contrived to get lost on the way.  I know I shall be in the dark for several hours each day.  Off to Poundland to get some handwarmers.  Volgarol extra is the drug of choice for me - I tend to get lower back pain when tired.
  • Options
    One hour easy run today and that is it until Saturday!
    Going to be a cold one! Anyone know if there has been snow on the route?
    Some forecast for Sunday - would that make following the trail difficult? (visions of being lost in snow covered hills!!)
  • Options
    I did a fair bit of the route in snowy conditions during the past couple of years.  The trail was ok to follow, - easier in some ways if you're not the lead as just follow the footprints.
  • Options
    That's assuming they're going the same way! image
  • Options

Message for Bear. Do you know the location of the checkpoints. Can't seem to spot them on the website. Hubby looking to be supportive!

Hope to meet up tomorrow.
  • Options
    Had a look and can't find either - from memory cp1 (8miles) either in grounds of  Ye Olde Ship Inn - or just before - other side of A 3100.  Cp2 (18miles) by St. Barnabus' Church (nearly at Denbies House/vinery)  Cp 3 (forgotten distance - just after you come off Box Hill switchback (I think it's called PebbleHill Road - just down from Betchwood railway station, Cp3 at car park just past footbridge that crosses A217.  Sorry can't be more accurate.  Give Neil a call - serve him right for lack of info.  Hope to see you too image.
  • Options
    Wow 2nd day was tough!
  • Options
    Bear B.Hind wrote (see)
    Aaaarrrrgghimage.
    Lol, did you do day 2? I think quite a few bailed out. For the first ten miles or so I thought isn't it pretty with all the snow etc. The rest of the way I was muttering damn bloody snow!
  • Options

Well done to everyone who completed Pilgrims.

Lovely to meet you Bear.

I made both days, but wow that was hard. First ultra done, so very happy.

Can even walk down stairs, so an added bonus.

Hope everyone is feeling okay today.
    x
  • Options
    Lovely to meet you too htf.  Yes completed both days and wasn't last on either (might change name to BearNotQuiteB.Hind).  Was glad I made last minute decision to pack YakTrax otherwise I would not have made it down those hills - or rather would have rather more rapidly than intended!
  • Options
    A fantastic event - huge thanks to Neil, Anna and the XNRG team. Bravo for not cancelling after Saturday night's big snow dump. Was really well organised, a gorgeous route, few nice lumps on the course and stunning scenery in the snow. And the chips from the van at the finish we some of the best I've ever had...