Options

Gosport Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

I have just done my 6 miles, very slow, did 5 mile walk yesterday round queen elizabeth country park think thats why my legs felt heavy.

Bit chilly today in gosport, normally wear shorts but opted for long running bottoms today, reminded me why I wear shorts as they keep rucking up around my ankles even though I do tie them at the waist! 

On the day I shall either wear my BLESMA top or just a green vest

Chownsie hope you dont feel rough on the day, there have been lots of virus's going about

• Options
    I'm now living in Priddys hard but am a former Elson boy, won't be boo-ing any of you guys, but cheering you all on!
  • Options
    I have pasta night before, nice big bowl with a sauce. Got three runs left this week. 4 mile tomorrow and 6 on Thursday, will also do a recovery run on Saturday but that will just be a very slow 3 miler.

Im ready for it this year so should not get cramp, he hopes. Im running in my Black Pirate top, im the fat one near the back. Looking at 2h10m.
  • Options

thedrainman,

2h 10 does that mean 10 minute miles? I did 2.14 last year. Will have to keep an eye out for you, you could be my pacer! 

• Options
    I'm hoping for the same sort of time , so will be hiding out at the back too image Zoe , still continuing to work my way through my gel freebies, found Lucozade more palatable than SIS but that could be because I knew what sort of delights to expect second time 'round :-/
  • Options

HRF what did you do the great south run in?

I have decided I will now do 4 miles on wednesday and then rest!

• Options
    First time for me in the Gosport Half. Would like to go for 2hr 2mins but not sure if I have enough training under my belt! Last Half was Basingstoke Half beginning of Oct done three 10milers and one 8miler since quiet a few 6milers and 3miles plus speed sessions so hopefully might do it!
  • Options
    Well I ran 6.5 tonight and felt ok, very comfortable pace, I'll go out early am tomorrow and see how it goes.

I spoke with Tom today for guidance on the winning pre race meal but he doesn't mind what we have! Burger and chips?!
  • Options

I've got a cold image  Have bought 3 gels and porridge for the morning ... not sure it's going to make up for it though!!  I note they've posted a message on the website re possible delays on the A32 anyone got any more info on this?

Good luck to you all!

• Options
    Its road works on the A32, on a sunday though I would hope it would be ok? or you could come off the junction at whitely and go through stubbington? depends where your coming from??
  • Options

FH - the road works are around the clock so no rest bite. I agree with Zoe, come off at Whitely and cut your way through Stubbington & Lee-on Solent.

It was a collapsed sewer so they wont stop work on it until Wednesday. Fortunately, I work the other side of the Gosport Ferry so I dont drive out/in of Gosport.

I forgot to mention, I was chased by a fox yesterday morning, still traumatised image

• Options
    Thanks.  Will investigate a different route.  I'm sure the fox resulted in a quicker leg turnover, all good for the training image
  • Options
    Ha, I didn't get as far as reading the suggested route change on their site!  According to google is adds 3 mins to my journey so shouln't be too much of an issue.  Is it still a long walk to the start?  What sort of time are people aiming to arrive? 
  • Options

I am aiming to arrive 9.15? maybe, try to find somewhere to park. then collect chip.

Chased by a fox? least it was not a badger, lots of those around here!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I normally aim to arrive about an hour before the start as a general rule... time to get chip, drop kit bag off and get warmed up.

I have never known a fox chase anyone before. How long before it gave up?!

Still have a lot of pain in my foot, have been for a sports massage and also some self massage on my feet and calf muscles which apparently are the most likely culprits. Currently sat at work in compression socks! I will get fixed in time.

• Options
    It gave up when I growled at it, it was keen to catch me!!! I parked in a side street off Gomer Lane, right near the start line!!!
  • Options
    Wetter go online and look for some tape to strap it. Works for planter facitis.
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Sounds amusing!

I will have a look at taping it up, cheers.

• Options
    Just dont use the stuff in superdrug, go to an online sports supplier as it will last well.

I think you'd need one strip length ways and three across...
  • Options

just been for last 4 miles, thats it now unitl sunday for me.

went down browndown, did not bump into any foxes!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Cheers. I have some climbing tape and kinesio (sp?) tape so should be ok there...

Having said earlier I have never heard of a fox chasing someone, a guy turned up at our club session tonight and said he had just been chased by a fox! they are obviously picking up a taste for runners.

• Options

Just been reading about mantra's on runners world

does anyone have one? some people put

Pain in temporary, glory is forever

Pain is weakness leaving the body

like the second one better!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

A couple that I like are:

Make pain your friend and you'll never be alone.

It is better to try, and fail than fail to try.

• Options
    Ah now i thought Foxes were meant to be clever....Why on earth chase a runner, walkers are much slower and easier to catch ;-p

As a general rule id have expected walkers to have a bit more meat on them too ,lol
  • Options
    My general rule is to arrive about an hour before,but for this race Im going to arrive on Friday evening image, Staying just off the front at Lee on Solent, just around a nice 1 mile warm up from the start image
  • Options

Where did this guy get chased wetter. Forget planet of the apes, the foxes are coming. Needless to stay, I am still a little perturbed by it all!

Karlsp, you are right, foxes must be stupid as walkers will have more meat on the bone - maybe they just like the chase image

Zoe - I like Lance Amstrongs one -

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

I've got a 5 miler with a 6 30 second fast bursts and 3 miles Saturday to do and thats me, pacemaker ready..........!

• Options
    Last run tonight for me , and itll only be a slow 4-5 miles. Would have done that Friday evening, but ill be travelling down, and then enjoying a nice steak and chips when i get there !

This`ll be the last road race of the year for me, then heading for muddy tracks at the HellRun next weekend. Then a few weeks of doing nothing(much)ness before buckling down to some serious winter training.
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Chownsie - It was around Crawley.

Managed a track session without any pain last night 2 x (3 x 1200m) at about 3:45 pace off  of 80 seconds recovery, 2 mins between sets. Foot sore this morning so will take today off and assess it tomorrow, most likely I will take Fri off and do a steady 30 - 45 mins on Saturday. The running seems to be ok it is just sore walking around the following day so should be fine for the race but not looking forward to the walk into work the morning after!

• Options

2 more sleeps people!

I have an early shift at QA hospital tomorrow and then rest and eat!

• Options
    Im leaving for Gosport in 5hrs 49 minutes image