Snowdonia Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    UDS, BN and NQ all at the start line image
  • Options

yes nice day for a walk,i did my share

• Options
    image not sure how my post got Reposted. Must have been the excitement of getting on tv. Hehe.

Heulwen was also interviewed a hundred times!! But I can't speak Welsh so didn't understand a word...

Only thing I don't think the coverage quite captures is the emormousity of the finl climb....
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    UDS- umm, subtitles??? imageimage

Looking at the coverage, I have now decided on. 2 training points for next year:

1. Practise running downhill

2. Run more offload in the build up
  • Options
    LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Hahaha I made it on, not running, but grabbing a bottle of water, not looking great!!  image Still better than swearing on the final descentimage

• Options

I finished the snowdonia marathon in 5 hours 8. although this is a slow time for me, i managed to injure my knee in the livepool marahon 2 weeks ago and couldnt have chosen a worse marathon to attempt not fully fit.

it was my first snowdonia race, and im glad i experienced the run, and a nice coaster at the end is a good change from a medal like every other event. 

All in all, a well organised event with friendly volunteers and marshalls. I'll be back!

• Options

Hello and well done again, everyone image 

Chrissi - I am so very, very chuffed for you imageimageimage

Snowdonia Snail - Mr F and I very much enjoyed Pantri. Sorry we didn't introduce ourselves, but you were always so busy! (I was the odd one who kept asking for hot milk - I'm not allowed caffeine at the moment)
    We didn't make it to the pub as I was truly exhausted (and borderline hypothermic) from our day cheering - good job I chose not to run!image

Hopefully see some of you in 2014 image 

• Options

As somebody has very kindly pointed out, although I was 11 seconds slower in 2012, than 2011, according to WAVA it was nearly 0.5% improvement image  Yet another positive from a totally marvellous day image

• Options
    Thanks Frodo.

We were extremely busy and I recall making a couple of hot milks.

Training starts this week.

SS
  • Options
    Great watching the highlights earlier, brilliant. What an amazing intro to marathon running, unbeatable experience! Posted 4:45:18, content. First half on two good legs, second half on one, grrr! But still 'ran' from waunfawr right to the top. Then limped down to level terrain. Gutted I can't go next year, but defo for 2015, with TWO decent durable legs I hope!

Snowdonia Snail, great to meet you. Fab porridge and stunningly good coffee! Til next time, July next year... ...?

ffRAN, how did you get on!? Shame not to have bumped into you en route or at Pantri.
  • Options

When I saw the Snowdonia Marathon coverage in 2006 having just done (at the request of my then 3 year old daughter) our villages hilly 12.5k race I said to my wife  that I wanted to do it next year - midlife crisis she thought. Well, it gave me the kick up the backsied that, perhaps, I needed. A Garmin 305 for Xmas and I was away!

I never expected to go sub 3h in the race - when I ran sunb 2h55m this year I was gobsmacked. I didn't think I'd go sub 3h again after this years "issues" but after a decent perfoemance in a Snowdonia 30k race I was determined to give it a go - a high risk decision (given max 30miles pw) but worth a try!?

Really chuffed to get a couple of prizes yesterday but the best prizes were the couple of texts which my daughter/wife got about freinds who had seen me on the TV! Priceless!?

• Options
    Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

After missing it through injury I'd palnned to watch tonight, but having just changed to Virgin we have no S4C. Will catch it on the S4C website when it's available.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Ah, party-goers are trickling back. 

UDS - Sounds like it wasn't such a good do as usual.  Where was the place that served dirty burgers again?  Perhaps we should go there earlier? Not that I'm interested in burgers, unless they do some of those vegetarian, silly burgers.

You're quite right - the closest to your target, the good side of it.  I want to know what happened in NDW100.  You're much faster than me.

Fenland R - you haven't told us your time yet.  Just wondering if you got that sub-4?

• Options
    Evening all,

Well done to all of you. I had major goosepimples when the winner went past. Would love to take part again in 2013.

Feel as if I have run the Marathon twice over. Busy day at Pantri yesterday. Had a visit from Pete Thomas, actually, popped in 5 times. He actually feels that the Porridge cured his leg problem.. John Bach called in for Cawl, flapjack and Coffee. Ffran also and Megalily called in twice today. Bumped into Nicola Quinn's hubby on way to work this morning, he remembered me from 2 years ago!!

Was a fantastic weekend all round. Pity I missed the other forumites.

SS
  • Options
    Who ever returned my knees last night, thank you, now I can drive back to Cardiff!
  • Options
    Huge congrats John Bach, fantastic achievement! At 51 I can only dream.
  • Options

Sportsphotoscymru has been asked to remove his photos image

I hope the sluggish, illiterate and expensive marathonfoto.com aren't behind this!!! image

• Options
    Why?!

I can't find a finish line pic of me image

Gutted as id of loved one
  • Options
    Sorry trex but I can't go back and revisit NDW100. I've just about put it behind me

!! Essentially though I missed the cut off at 90 miles because I waited at the cricket club aid station for an hour to get warm and wait for a friend. This is where you would have passed me. Shame you didnt spot me or me spot you as that would have made all the difference. I also did zero running in the 6 weeks leading up to the race (intentionally as an experiment) were two reasons why. Sure there were other contributing factors too. But hey I'm on a high from SNOD so don't get me down!! Real shame you couldn't come this year David. I hope mrs trex makes a full recovery.
  • Options
    Hi all..John Bach..saw you on tv!! Great coverage again..I always find watching it abut surreal as if I wasn't really there!! Well done Chrissi-dead chuffed for you. SD of course you will be thereimage has anyone got my quads? can I have them back please. Major doms today so the trot around the Orme is now a slow walk!! SS am in the area for rest of week so make sure you have that kettle on.will pop in and see you!! Where's NQ?
  • Options

Brer - I'm sure I will be image  I know where I went wrong, what I need to do to sort things out and, hopefully, next year will be better!    We live and learn!   (Also, very much enjoyed staying over at the Black Boy Inn, so got to go there again!!).

JB - Absolutely amazing and inspiring result image  Hadn't picked up on your finish time until just now.  Just brilliant!   

Has anyone started next year's thread yet?

• Options

caught a glimpse of myself on telly - I wont grow out of the, "Wow, look everyone, I'm on telly!" thing

• Options

morning hows everyones aches pains and smiles todayimage

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

If any one wants my quads they can have them ow ow ow but i do still have a stupid grin on my face it's going to take a while for that to fade.

Can't believe they didn't put my triumphant finish on the telly though i did see JD,JB and Laudy on there.  No finish pic's of me either yet i definately remember one being taken just across the line - luckily Mr C managed to get one just before the line thats ok and Alister got me on the way down the hill which is ok except i've got my eyes closed

TR40 - gutted not to of seen you and but i understand why i didn't now after seeing your fantastic time

SD sorry you didn't have a good day

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Sorry so rude of me not to thank all the people who've said well done to me - don't know where my head is still out running around a mountain i thinkimage

• Options

Hi All.

What a fantastic weekend up in North Wales.  Really enjoyed - met up with a few guys who I originally met in Edinburgh marathon 2010.

Wow to weather and hence the views were to die for.  Infact it was only because the weather was so good that I didn't chuck the towel in at 13 miles.  Felt rubbish from about 10 miles.  Knew my prep wasn't good enough to cope with such a tough course.  That combined with lack of sleep the night before, breakfast too early and then the AM on the loo left me very weak very quickly.  totally stressed myself out beforehand.  Took loads of gels to try and combat the lack of energy and it turned into a game of survival.  Several times I fought with myself just to keep going.  Finished in 4.58 officially but lost about 5 mins on a comfort break in a pub enroute - somewhere.....?

On reflection I am disappointed with my time but just glad to have finished.  First time ever I have crossed the line and blubbed. image  Bit of muscle ache today but not too bad so guess I couldn't have worked hard enough. image

Unfortunately - or fortunately - i definitely feel like I have unfinished business with this mountain. image

Well done to all of you - some truely amazing performances and times.  And Chrissi - after your disappointment of last year - I am so, so pleased for you.  don't know you personally but you should be so proud of yourself.  Awesome. image

• Options

Well done all on some fantastic times - JB brilliant run!! Laudy & Panad you must have overtaken me on the last hill as you both finished just ahead of me.  Sorry you weren't there camping as usual T-Rex - best wishes to Mrs T-Rex. 

I think I went out too fast as I got to halfway 3 mins faster than ever before, and just got slower and slower through the second half, finally cramping up on the last hill before having to summon a sprint downhill running like a troll (couldn't straighten my legs as my calves felt like golf balls about to explode) down the high street to finish 41s faster than last year - but crucially 18s under my predicted 3:50 finish!! image 

Will have to try for sub 3:49 next year as I can;t seem to improve my time by more than about 45 seconds a year....

A fellow runner offered me his salty nuts as I was stationary with my legs cramped up just before mile 24 on the last hill - I declined, but nearly cramped a whole different set of muscles laughing at whether he had meant to say it like that....