Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    'top right' of keyboard image

I will stop rambling now.... This thread could get me in a lot of trouble with Mrs UDS. not sure she will stand me typing away on my itouch every evening for the next 12 months!! sex after all is also meant to be good cross-training not that I would know with two young children image
  • Options

T Rex- nothing at all with Gobi doing 3:06. image Big difference is that G went round comfortably in 3:06 and I would have to knock nearly 9 mins off this year. Any comparison is very flattering, but also laughableimage. As for flat maras- yes, I'm doing VLMimage and also Chester againimage. Chester will again be the focus, but will hope to do better in Snod next year.  I was really surprised ( after nearly DNSing!!!) at how strong I felt 20 days after Chester in Snod this year- TBH I felt better than at Chester imageimage and could have pushed a good bit harder- but was overly cautious early on and enjoyed the day instead! So hopefully will be able to do well at Chester and have a good Snod too- but who knows.....

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

jason/UDS - for goodness sake don't go back on the 2011 thread.  I don't think you're going to win.  I can see it getting to the stage where one dark and stormy night you're going to go out with a hacksaw and nearly cut through the rungs on a certain ladder.  Far more serious than laces, and I wouldn't want you to do something you might regret.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    UDS - you don't want to miss any of the craic.  Keep with us.
  • Options
    T Rex- Not my style, and besides which I feel only pity. As for going back to the 11 thread, I can only refer you to my Hamlet quotation ....image
  • Options
    ;-) just have some fun trex. But you are right I'm here to stay now. Not going back to 11... Funny thing is that Jason got it in the ear for my last comment lol. Sorry Jason image
  • Options
    UDS- broad shoulders, mateimage. As long as he's happy!imageimage
  • Options
    Chill chaps - stick s4c on Sky now - Marathon Eryri on (again!)
  • Options
    So who's entering on Jan 1st??
  • Options
    I'm working on Chefrunner - it was his 1st Snowdonia this year and he trained better than most (certainly better than me), going around the Orme 82 times during his training in the lead up to the marathon - clocking just under 3h36m on the day
  • Options
    Possibly . I'm intrigued T Rex you say your planning/doing 8 Ultras which ones if you don't mind me asking .

I was thinking of entering one but after talking with my wife I have decided to wait a couple of years until all of my kids are in school full time .

• Options
    Indeed I would be interested to know also Trex! Only races I have planned or registered in 2012 so far are MK marathon (29 April) and UTMB (late Aug). UTMB ballot opens this month I think!! If I get in then I will be looking for every hilly ultra out there to tackle to 30000ft of ascent and equal descent in UTMB image
  • Options
    21:01 at Cambridge parkrun, more than happy with that image  Legs still turnover, found it mentally more challenging than physically.  After the mile warm-up before the run would have took any time, but once the claxon sounded felt good.
  • Options
    Loving not HAVING to run and not feeling guilty about not going running!!! image
    Took one look at the weather this morning and decided to spend the day tackling a bit more of the garden with Mr B. Lots of leaves raked, lots of stuff burnt and general tidying up done! We've only lived here for 3 weeks but the difference is amazing already!!
    Hoping the weather stays like this for a little run in the morning and for the fireworks tonight.........one very very excited 4 year old can't wait!!

TRex I have looked into what I was talking about and am still trying to work out if the logistics of it are doable! Long way to drive to get there let alone a long way to run!!! image
  • Options

Afternoon all:

I'm definitely in for Snowdon '12!!! And I have a plan to improve my time (4:45....don't snigger, I was very proud of not stopping to walk once).

I did Loch Ness at the beginning of October, which I hated, and I honestly thought it was the end of my marathoning as I felt so awful - thought my age had finally caught up with me. But after this, I cannot wait to get back out there and start training again. I made a deal with myself and said I wouldn't do a Spring marathon, to try to get my shorter speeds up, but when I saw the Coed y Brenin Marathon - well, it's not Spring is it? So I'll be there, too, leave permitting. (My support team, ie husband, is on a leave ban in the Summer 'cos of the Olympics) We'll have to work out his shifts.

No ill effects at all, except for a bruised toe (discussed on prev thread) and I've swam and cycled everyday.

My Marathonfoto shots make me look like a grinning idiot! I did love it... a lot!

Anyway, I'll join in with the excitement here, if you don't mind.

• Options
    I'm in too it will be my 3rd marathon of 2012, Edinburgh, Coed y Brenin and Snowdon. Oh flippin ek what have I let myself in for...............imageimage
  • Options
    UTMB Ultra Disco Stu . I'm jealous that looks like a cracking race however I have heard that getting into that is now almost as hard as getting into London .

Good luck with that .

Looks like the 3 marathons will be my training limit next year with some other small club championship races thrown in .

Hopeful on a club place for London , Coed Y Brenin and Snowdon should wrap the year up for me .
  • Options

ffFRAN - why did you hate Loch Ness so much? Is it not a race you reccomend - I have it down on my race bucket list (shame it is so close to Snowdonia) - it is always given a big write up in the running mags and is always down on the top races, scenery wise - although that could be the race organisers being "well in" with the various running media?

I hope you get that club place Chef (you deserve it!). I really cannot see me doing London again after this years experience - the only time I've said "never again" during a race - Martin & Chris were witnesses!! I'm looking to do a spring marathon - probably Blackpool (another race on my "bucket list" - family/sentimental/football reasons!!) - then Coed-y-Brenin, which is less than 40mins away - with the early start I'll be home probably earlier than say, the Llandudno 10 or Nick Beer!

• Options

John -I know people who feel the same as me and some who rate it as their favourite. I'm still trying to fathom it out - but 2hrs 20 mins sitting on a bus to the start, and a really demoralising finish (You pass withing 50 yds of the finish and still have to do 1.5 miles) MAY be part of it. The scenery is spectacular - but Snowdon pips it for me.

I've given up on London, unless I get a GFA somewhere else. I've done it three times, and at my pace, it  means I'm firmly with the crowds so find it difficult to run at the pace I strive for. And I do like a bit of "rough" ie off road.

• Options
    ffRAN well you didn't like nessieimagei love the race as much as snowdon i may join in llanberris next year as not done it last 2 yrs did nessie instead that will be number 9 snod for meimagei want to try out the new start & finish as the old coarse started a mile out of town with no shelter & the finish had a awful loop around back of village also the off road section looks good i maybe wrong but it looks a faster coarse but won't know till i try
  • Options

Evening all- what a lovely day. Did 2.1m up to my ankles in mud trying out my new spikes lunchtime- had to make way for the start of a rugby match. 4.1m on lovely solid tarmac this eveningimage Looks like I'm doing a 10k xc race tomorrow- but will be taking it easyimage

MM61- Look forward to seeing you there- new course is quickerimage

• Options

Evening MM61 - what are we doing in on a Sat evening??? - Well, I'm keeping dog company as he is terrified of fireworks, puppy is oblivious, thank goodness, but I am typing one handed as I have a very nice glass of red in tother! Some things don't change do they?

I think I was in a bad place mentally up North so don't take any notice of me.

• Options
    JD i hope so would love to bag gfa there my best is 3.15,don't know if it will be any quicker but i think we have got a much better 1st mile & be a tad more warmed up for the 1st hill also the loop @ end was rather hilly,did you do that coarseimage
  • Options
    ffRAN i'm chilling on some thomas watkin real ales awaiting my lamb baltiimage
    no dogs here but 4 dwarf hamsters,2 guinea pigs,2 ratsimagea mini childres zoo
  • Options
    Yeah done them both- reckon the new one has got to be fasterimage Going to PM youimage
  • Options

Evening all

Nice 6 miler for me tonight with fireworks going off everywhere!image Will try sneak 10 miles in tomorrow.

• Options
    check your messagesimage
  • Options
    JD cheers mate just replied,going now food ready see you tomorrow,will talk then