Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Again, definitely SNOD 6 next year - and hopefully under 3:50. Just 24s to shave off....image
  • Options

BIG, BIG well done to everyone!!!  Absolutely brilliant results in what looked like awful weather yet again.  Watching on the telly and hearing about the reports online is just inspirational.  I cannot wait until next year...............roll on January 1st.  Fingers crossed I will stay injury free this time and will definitely be lining up on the start line. 

Finally Rou - absolutely brilliant running.  I watched part of the S4C coverage one morning (Sky+) and then happened to log on here and read your report which included the description of your gillet and the zip going up and down like a tarts knickers.  Lol.  And I thought - blooming 'eck - that must be Rou on the telly - she's in front!!  Dived back to the TV to finish watching coverage and of course your amazing run.  Brilliant!  You must be so chuffed.  And you looked so in control.  Fab, image

Everyone - really, really well done. image

• Options

Took the legs down the canal this morning for a little bimble, no watch or GPS. Seems like everythings ok apart from a little twinge on a ham, happy days.

Gobi, sorry I didn't get to meet you. Will do one day!

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

Glad everyone's recovery is going well

2012 training plan in place (can't help it i like lists as much as T Rex)

May - Chester 1/2 ..... June - Coed y Brenin Trail 1/2 marathon option......... August - Race the Train .........Oct - finally get around SNOD!

Or if my name is pulled out of the VLM club place hat (pigs and flying come to mind) that and SNOD with late entries to others in between depending on how well things are going.

image of course it all depends if i survive the 6 mile fell race i've said i'll do a week on Sunday image 

• Options

a 2012 thread already image

I had the best time on Saturday, smiled from start to finish.  The organisation and the crowd was fantastic, as was the scenery.  B & B already booked for next year image

Good news is, I can walk downstairs again too!

• Options

Thought I would drop into the tread and seek advice. 

I have 'run' Beachy for the last 3 years, and my legs don't have it in them to do both, so for those who have run both, what is the appeal of Snowdonia over Beachy? 

Race, accomodation, social side all taken into account.

p.s. I have a pb time of 5.55 at Beachy, so bare that in mind if you think I will be left on the mountain in the dark, on my ownimage.

• Options

Beachy is all off-road and the hills which you run on are relatively small.  Snowdon you run in the mountains.  However due to the high proportion of tarmac I think that Snowdon is the quicker course.

Why does Snowdon appeal?

The scenery is far more dramatic.

The weather can be more challenging.

• Options

Thank you Fenland Runner.  Have to say you have injected a certain amount of fear into me as you describe the seven sisters as relatively small.  Respect to you!

• Options
    Still have an issue with stairs, but went for a 4.2m recovery run today to loosen things up. Few squeals in the first 20m and downhills weren't pretty, but loosened up and managed to stretch out afterwards- took a few attempts to grab my ankle behind me to stretch out my quads though- lol!image
  • Options
    Jason..not attempting many stairs eitherimage 7 mile jog tonight in beautiful conditions..if only we could book the correct weather all the time!!! Oh dear, now I have another training plan to follow...I'm so easily persuaded..did I really enter Conwy Half followed by Clowne Half the week after..I need therapyimageimage
  • Options
    Brer- lol- I'm being drawn towards a flat but coastal (and potentially VERY windy) 10m in December to try and do something about my very soft 10m PBimage
  • Options

Hi all,

Bit of a late post admittedly, but only just coming back to reality....a day at work soon bought me hurtling back to earth with a thump. I just want to say I had one of the best days of my life on Sat and definately the biggest achievement for me! I managed to get round in 4.30 which was my aim so I was a happy bunny. I kept waiting for 'the hill' at the end and it didn't disapoint. But the down hill was the real killer. Legs felt fine on the grass then I hit the tarmac and entered a world of pain! My legs crumpled after the finish but just about staggered to Pete's for a 'large' cuppa and a cheese sandwich, clutching my coaster with pride lol!  Such a friendly race with a great atmosphere. All certainly worth every second of pain and I will undoubtedly be back for 2012. Roll on 1/1/12!

Just managed my circuits session today but took it fairly steady.....legs are starting to forgive me I think!

Welldone to everyone. Some amazing times and huge respect to all those who kept running on 'the hill' !! Also respect to the Barefoot man.....the decent from Pen Y Pass on that track looked visibally painful!

Thanks Snowdonia image

• Options

Or rather

Diolch Yn Fawr!!

• Options

Brer lol look forward to seeing you at Conwy!!! You do need therapy will keep you a seat next to me!!! There is a cracking fell race the day before in Penmaenmawr?..........may do it.....don't know.........WHAT AM I THINKING!!!

Panad Cracking pic!!! and yep stand by that comment girl you did great!

JB Great report mate good to see you on Monday.

Gobi thanks for all the advice you shared on this thread mate.

Well done everyone else went out for 5miler this morning legs felt surprisely goodimage

• Options

yes, I can now walk down stairs but am living on nurofen image

Fighting a cold at the moment but hope to get out again at the weekend.  I agree with Non, one of the best days for me too.  I made it to bang on the 23 mile marker on the hill before stopping running and rather than walking I stomped up (which I think was quicker than my run at that point), then just "sprinted" down the hill, while others seems to avoid the puddles I didn't have the energy to change direction so just went for it.

• Options

You're not the only one with a cold RSR. Not sure if I caught it at snod, or should be relieved its come out after it.

Does anyone know of any websites that have a calender of running events? Or can recommend any events? I'm particularly interested in trail or hilly rather than flat road work to occupy the legs till next October, when I hope to return for another soaking.

• Options

My 1st dip into the 2012 thread.

Nice to see you Monday TR - wearing the Snowdonia T-shirt with pride (did that lass come back with a container for her food. Never a dull moment in your workplace W!?)

Legs feeling a lot better now (I didn't enjoy the walking up & down the stairs at work on Monday!). Quite funny comparing state of the legs since Snowdonia with 5 other clubmates who did the race on Saturday - unfortunately one clubmate lasted less than 1/2 a mile before turning back!

MC - I have signed up for the inaugral Wales Trail Marathon on 23.6.11 at Coed-y-Brenin - sounds as if it will be a cracking event (they are doing a 1/2 and full marathon) - organised,  understand, by some of the Snowdonia marathon organisers - so should be a winner (p[articularly given the terrain/location):

http://www.trailmarathonwales.com/

• Options

Sorry that should, of course, say 23.6.12!

I understand that Richie Gardener (3rd on Saturday) is hoping to do it

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

A brisk 12-miler this morning, 8:22 miling out, 8:41 back, so a bit faster than of late.  1h01 recovery in the middle at chest clinic while they try to sort out why I get this breathlessness.  Have already had loads of grim lung function tests.  I've been ramped up to "level 3" in an asthma control regime.

They took obs as soon as I arrived and my pulse was still 100!  The nurses thought that was OK but Dr looked a little surprised because it's normally about 58.

John B - unfortunately that trail marathon clashes with something I'm doing in Cornwall otherwise I'd be there.  Does it go up into the Rhinogs?

• Options
    John are you doing the full or 1/2 trail marathon wales?  i'd love to try the full but as a first time trailer it might be a big ask!
  • Options
    RSR - full for me. I have never done any trail races before - only a couple of fell races. I thought if I've got a pass to do this event I may as well do the full one!
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    TR39&Brer - hope the loony seat is big enough for another one,just got myself a pass for Conwy Half (and entered quick before he could change his mind!) See you there image

First post-Snod run for me today, just under 6miles of gentle plodding, legs definitely tired,but otherwise good image bit windy mind,had enough of that up pen y pass!

Mr Panad seriously thinking about joining the party (subject to finding child care) and wants to start training with me for SNOD 2012...tomorrow!! 8-O (he'll be starting from nothing so not as extreme as it might sound image )

• Options

Panad lol see you there!!!image and go Mr Panad!!

JB emm very tempted to do this trail marathonimage

• Options
    ..........................just entered trail marathon now to till MrsTR39.......................image
  • Options

Woooooooooohooooooooooo TR ....I think i am gonna do the trail marathon too image

Go Mr Panad.....does this mean they will be some competion in the Panad household.  image

• Options
    Niki You Know you want to.........image
  • Options
    Hey, the Coed y Brenin trail marathon sounds great - will have to enter that. Had wanted to do the Kielder marathon this year to see what a trail mara would be like, but the date didn't work. This one's much closer to home as well - don't think there'll be any buses to help me to the finish though image

Sounds like there'll be a lot of us there image
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Unless he turns out to be a lot quicker than I think he'll be I think I'm safely in front...on the otherhand if it proves otherwise i won't lie...i'll just resort to sabotage image

I got Mr Panad to put the date of the tail marathon in his diary when I saw it in the race prog last Fri night (thought at first it was some kind of omen as he's got weddings booked on the other Saturdays in June already)...during the race on Sat I convinced myself I didn't really want to *risk* doing a marathon in the middle of June,there would a reasonable chance it wouldn't be wet&cold! Now your all talking about it, it's got me thinking again...

You did Conwy last year didn't you TR39? What's the course profile like?

• Options
    Panad profile is flat until you get to the Great Orme then its up!!!! and Down!!! then flat right up our street!!!image A cracking race hoping to do Sub 1:40............
  • Options
    PS Panad you know you want to do this trail marathon £25 a Saturday.......round Snowdonia.....................image