Options

The ultra runners tool kit

Comments

• Options

Next thing on my list is waterproof bottoms.

• Options
    Tiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)
    I've never fully understood that one to be fair, we do have to shave our faces and necks every day.
    thats true, daily would  be a pain to shave..i wax and then its done, i hate body hair..but i quite like painimage
  • Options
    Ben, seriously about the Ledlenser? They've an awful reputation among the flashaholic set. (Over-hyped output, carp construction...) If you PM me, I'll dig out some factual links...
  • Options
    loulabell I gave up on waxing as I still had to rewax every 2 weeks so not worth the hassle..........
  • Options

my other half had laser treatment about 10 yrs ago

she now uses an epilady for about 5 mins about once every 3 months

• Options

seren..every 2 WEEKS?....image i do mine and it lasts for 2 MONTHS!! lol..and like veggie boy says above, i have an epilator tht takes few minutes if needed..im not very hursuit though fortunately, and blonde doesnt show  anyway lol..image...seren have you tried the epilators..no more painful thn waxing reallyimageimage

• Options

So, is the OMM 20L Adventure Light backpack overkill? - I'm aiming for the NDW 50M in 2012 and the Lakeland 50 in 2013. Presently using a 5L pack which will be fine for the London 50K, I think. My inlaws have offered to get me the 20 L for Christmas. Going to have another look at it this week.

Also, anyone know anywhere in the Bromley/Croydon area or alternatively the Manchester area where I can go try on some of the Marmot jackets to find what size I need? I think I'll want to have a proper waterproof with me in case it's raining cats & dogs on 19th February.

• Options
    20L pack maybe overkill but really depends on what is on the compulsory kit list, what the weather is like and how much food you want to carry image Weight wise there does not seem to be a massive difference between the 15 and 20. Therefore, in my opinion get the bigger one as long as it doesn't bounce around if it is not full.

Just did my first 40 mile ultra with a 15L Inov-8 pack and it was fine. However, if it had all pear shaped and I had to wait to be rescued not sure I would have had enough spare clothes to keep me warm.

Blacks now do Marmot. May not have the jacket you want but you could try and alternative one on for size.
  • Options
    Debra im doing NDW50 and im going to have a 10L..at the mo i run with just a 3L which is fine but i cant fir any clothes in it once some food and drink is in. i think 10L will be ok as there quite a few CP. i want just enough space to have spare socks and top, room to stuff a jacket in and maybe waterpoof trews folded in just incase depending on weather. if the 10l is too bouncy then i will have to maybe carry my small one andjust stuff the jacket through the bungee bit on outsideimage....marmot jacket i have  came from online and is XS...but there is still room to get 2/3 tops underneath..fits really well and was in sale.
  • Options

James: really useful. Yes, I thought I'd have another look at the 20L and how well it bungeed down if not full. Thanks for the tip re. Blacks to look at Marmot sizing - I can get to one of those.

Loulabell: I'm thinking if you are fine with the XS I maybe need the S to allow for a couple of layers underneath if necessary? (Thinking ahead to winter runs and possible Lakeland 50 training weekends in what might be 'oribble weather). I'm hoping to get one relatively cheaply online, but do not want to find I've got the wrong size and have to send it back. I'm size 10 with reasonably broad shoulders (sometimes need to buy size 12 to allow for that) - I recall you're smaller than me.

• Options
     debra, i got mine on the Likeys website..reduced from abt £35 to 19:99...wantd it as i dnt have anything even windproof really..it fits me really well, quite narrow in fit id say and fitted shape . im usually a 4/6 or kids age 12 so id say prob small would be ok for you . the layers i tried under mine were close fitting so nothing bulky and it has a collar tht stands up a bit which is nice. packs into a little bag. there were only blue or rusty red colour left but i wasnt too fussed abt tht, it was the fit i needed. imagethere is a clear pic of it on likeys website which shows nack and front view etc..
  • Options
    just had a look, only small and extra small left..its called 'marmot womans motion jacket'
  • Options

/members/images/531201/Gallery/150Quickstep3Short.gif

i also really liked these which are now £9.99..
  • Options

thanks cragc, yes i went for the raisin/choc combo yesterday, was nice, pretzels mixed in were ok too!

i thought i was sounding a bit lazy when i said abt the holsters for the front but im same as you , i hate the faff of having to stop and undo things and refill is even worse !! its such a pain! but the bit you mentioned clipping on your pack sounds loike the kind of thing i want.

• Options
    Okay, so if you (cragchick) & loulabell need the XS, I at size 10 need the S, I think. Still better go try one on if possible. Hate to get one in size S online at a bargain price then find I needed the medium.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Well, that's been an interesting read since my last post.  Some of it unexpected kit I hadn't thought about image.

Jackets : as I expect I said in my original posts I have two OMM w/p jackets which are both good and have fully taped seams and adjustable, wire-peaked hoods:

• softshell - Kamleika (also the trousers) - very stretchy, comfortable, and quiet - a little clammy - 300g and the all-important hydrostatic head 20 000 mm. 
    • shell - Cypher - eVent fabric - rustles a little - feels like a "coat" which can be offputting when running - BUT very breathable, most breathable w/p I've worn - 280g (medium), hydrostatic head 40 000 mm (which is a very big column of water, rather similar to the ones coming out of the sky at the moment) - includes waterproof pockets.

The smocks for both of these can be bought for a further weight saving of 40g.

Starting to get a frightening thread when people are talking about "only" doing a single Ironman!!

• Options
    trex- yes i wont be doing ANY ironman lolimage
  • Options

Just boinging this one back ,might be useful stuff on here as dark evenings approach and head torch discussions ensue ..... hope it helps Touie image

• Options

Indeed Spen , the 2 favourite items . any one got a salomon Xs they want to sell?!

• Options

I may have one coming up as i want the new one but need to save up for it before I sell the old one! Not that there's much wrong with it but the new pack is about 200g lighter!!! I wants image

• Options

Which salomon have you got touie? DYu have Nathan intensity too? I think we are similar size?

• Options

Yes I have a Nathan intensity too, more packs than handbags me!!! image

The salomon pack is the s-lab 12 original version!

• Options

i like the fit of the Nathan but I want something more huggy image-was just worried about the fit of salomon - how is it on you Touie?

• Options

iTo like the weight of the Nathan but it really doesn't compare to the salomon in terms of practicality! It's definately more huggy, the fit is really good! I found the clips fiddly in the winter but it seems everyone else manages them without complaint!!!

• Options

I am going to suggest that we use this thread to notify each other about sales. 

I am going to start by saying that the Sportpursuit website is offering some good prices on Inov8 running packs at the moment. 

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/inov-8-backpacks

• Options

Salomon s-lab 5 and 12 are both huggy, nicely so. 2013 12 in xs/s and 5 is original model xs/s. think I'm about 35" chest if that helps anybody's sizing queries