Options

The ultra runners tool kit

Comments

• Options
    As for runs - I'm managing a parkrun Christmas Day then doing lunch for family, so I'm not sure I'll get a proper run that day. Managing the parkrun on New Year's Day as well but will hopefully go for a proper (long) run afterwards.
  • Options
    I have spent a lot more than that on t shirts when I was younger and would buy designer clothes.
  • Options
    yes..have to admit tht when i started work i spent every weekend at the designer village and would think nothing of £200 in one go on a few items..now i want a whole outfit inc shoes for £50 these days image...
  • Options
    I wonder if I ask my daddy nice enough he will get me one of the Jackets image  Cannot really afford it at the moment,
  • Options

I was at AT this year (I DNF in the Double due to a knee problem)

If you had fully waterproof kit with taped seams on the the last weekend, people would have sold their children to get it

• Options

veggieboy.......apart from me........Eddie was really nagging me to put soem clothes on.........i was running in shorts and vests..........but even I put on my montane jacket for a few miles............If it was on an exposed hill then I think the jacket would have been on all run..............( only did the single this year)

You can't expect it to be good weather just because its in june

• Options
    cragchick wrote (see)
    ... and LLB, don't worry, NDW it is. Looking forward to running on some home turf (well the first section anyway!).
    yay!!! look forward to seeing you there cragc.image...as seren has put above just because its in aug doesnt mean it wont rain...maybe i should get waterproof trousers...had an email frm likeys sports with a sale so maybe i will check out the trousersimage...problem is getting thm small enough
  • Options
    i think you m ight need kids sizes loulabell
  • Options
    the likeys ones say xs and the marmot jacket i have in tht size is ok but still room for things under it. its not the length so much i have trouble with just waist and hips with it all falling down...is there anywhere that does kids waterproofs suitable for running in...image
  • Options
    age 12 is fine for meimage
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

I have inov8 milsitepants as waterproof bottoms. Never really needed to use them.  I think they are around 150-200g and pack tight.

Like Debra's 50g mac.  I might buy something like that to satisfy race organisors despite it being a warm day/unlikely to be required.  always on look out for weight savings image

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options
    i dont want to carry anything really!!image...can i bring a KEZ to carry the stuff?image....still want a Kez of my own
  • Options
    I bought cheap kids waterproof bottoms, am quite short. Figure that for the ultras I have done/will be doing in the future they would only be used in an emergency not everyday like if for some reason got injured and couldn't run. If I was doing mountain events would invest in a better pair(unlikely). Splashed out on a montaine atomic jacket which I use in poor weather all the time and it's great.
  • Options
    which make of kids trousers elspeth?
  • Options
    I have the Minimus Jacket and it is very good bit of kit. For a slightly cheaper option, but still v v breathable and fully waterproof you could try the Marmot Mica or Super Mica which won a few awards when it first came out.
    My Montane Marathon jacket and a good baselayer and t-shirt see me through 95% of the year, but always good to have fully waterproof available, and as others have said it 's mandatory kit for some events. Decide what you can afford and how much use it will get and go from there. 
  • Options

People doing the NDW races in August should be more interested in a running cap than a waterproof. 

If it is the hottest August on record, then you are all in for a tough day. 

• Options
    Well I have ordered a Montane Atomic Jacket. jacket for £91.   Figure if I buy some kit once a month not too bad.
  • Options
    Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

People doing the NDW races in August should be more interested in a running cap than a waterproof. 

If it is the hottest August on record, then you are all in for a tough day. 

imageduly noted Ben. Ive got a feeling too that if this year is anything to go by i wont be needing the wet gear...but a LOT of suncream and hydration....(will still check out the kids trousers though)
  • Options

Spen - where did you get it from, that's a good price and thinking of one as a pressie for OH?

Ben - I do most of my running in Scotland so the waterproof jacket gets good use, if not in events certainly in training.

LLB - I think my trousers were Peter Storm ones. They look quite nice for the money but have yet to use themimage.

• Options
    Elspeth - hike-lite.co.uk
  • Options

I have been hearing a lot of good things about the Led Lenser H& head torch recently. 

So much so that I am thinking about dropping a few hints that I would like one for Xmas. 

• Options

Ben

Buy it and hand over the receipt for reimbursement - only way to make sure you get the right model

• Options
    What size pack should you be looking at?  I have a OMM 10l at moment and in the next year I expect to do a 50m ultra.
  • Options

i have asked for a 10l pack for xmas spen, so hoping that'll be big enough for 50miles....image

• Options

yes you are right cragc,being prepared is kit good, but if you can avoid carrying unnecessary thn thats better too. like you say, checking weather over and over until last minute is good practice to get into. i always seem to obsessed with checking, even just for training runs! but i like to know what i may need  with me lol...

today was a good run, chilly and i had on right number of layers, needed it too...got a bit of cram by mile 18 , but not too bad...nice calm weather. hope it stays good tomorrow for you cragcimage