Options

The ultra runners tool kit

Comments

• Options

Daz

Assuming that your main priority is to keep weight down while having a genuinely waterproof garment, the Hagloffs Oz pullover would be prety hard to beat. 

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

Thats a nice looking top !

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options

ben you really must stop telling me about all these different brands..ive looked on tht website and seen some nice things i really like!!..and i found these which i  may get for trail ultra...

• Options
        i think these may be a xmas prezzy to myselfimage
    /members/images/531201/Gallery/81006_enlarged.jpg

• Options
    hi Daz, which ultras are you going to enter? Likeys do some good things , i have a marmot jacket coming my way from thereimage
  • Options
    elspeth fay wrote (see)
    Lots of events say fully waterproof trousers and jacket - yet to see anyone check kit though!

Beware - kitchecks!  (Item 2 - Langdale Horseshoe Race)

don't know if anyone has seen this - apologies if it's been mentioned, I've not read too far back.  Not wanting to sound "holier than thou" as I'm often out on the fells with minimal kit, (though not during an event).  Just a "heads up". image

• Options

can you try the shoes on first, llb? They look to have a pretty big heel compared to you Nike lunars, so if your forefoot planting these may feel odd.

• Options
    Yes thats true tiago, they are quite different from the nikes..i did find these too though
    /members/images/531201/Gallery/21604049_plf_1.jpg

• Options
    are you going to be out running over xmas and new year tiago? im planning on sneaking out image
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Good on them Tigerlily. Friend of mine orgaised a race in Coniston this year...real headache people without proper kit. I did Rydal round one year and they physically stopped one chap running who didnt have any stuff on him - and this was a sunny day.

I think in a some races it says full waterproof kit with taped seams....which would rule out many montane items irrespective of how pedantic you want to be about hydrostatic heads.

• Options

I don't understand people who ignore the rules, but lets not open the i-pod can of worms.

I will almost certainly be running Christams and New Years Day, llb, they always feel like bonus runs, plus on Christams day it's quite funny seeing all the kids out with their new toys, and for once everyone smiles and says hello.

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I have run on xmas day ever since i started running with any vague level of 'seriousness'.......so about 2003. I like going out when it is incredibly quiet (normally by 7 or 8am) - last year I took my parents dog with me....it had been -19 overnight, and it was brilliant. I did forget to take tights with me so had to go in shorts....wasnt too bad though as it was so dry.

I like to htink it negates slightly the over indulgence of xmas day.

• Options

I race on boxing day.........but might have christmas day offimage

Daz cheats by being so fast he is only on the course for half the time I am.........imageimageimage

I;m still not  sure about ultras for next year as I have a double Ironman in June and not sure how long I will take to recover.....

will hopefully go back to ultras bigtime on 2013

• Options

Are you doing the one in Avon Tyrell, Seren? I enjoyed following the reports this year, and was quite tempted by the double myself.

• Options

yes ........its going to be a tough one..........

the 100 mile ultra there is going to be tough as well.............it sounds easy on first reading.......a mile loop around a trail in the woods with the support table being there every mile..........

but the course became very brutal in the dark and torrential rain................but a good one if anyone here fancies itimage

• Options

cragchick, yes the stuff on tht website is a bit procey, saw a nice jacket in a lovely colour-only £200 and somethingimage....the nike are really nice..will try to find them both in a shop and try thn on..i quite  like the salomon ones too though..but nike itll prob be as im a nike fanimage

am loooking forward to sneaking out over xmas for runs..prob not xmas day but maybe the othersimage

same for me with multiple multiple loops-itd drive me nuts!!..cragc. ...its got to be NDW.. you know you want toimage

• Options
    So have we decided what waterproofs we need then?
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

Seren, is its any consolation I dont get to ENJOY the scenery as much as you do....actually that prob ISNT any consolation! image

Loulabell, Im going back to do Malvern Ultra 55, Caesars Camp (50) and Brecon 45.  I loved all these races and the organisors.  Although to be fair I havnt done any other ultras image

Ive also added GUCR 145 and North Downs Way (50 or 100). 

Also got London mara and the Forestman tri.  So plenty to keep me busy.

You?

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    seren, what you doing at AvonT - the 100m ultra?  Ill be down there helping to crew
  • Options

spen..i THINK they have decided what waterproofs are requiredimage..im just hoping i dnt need any !!

Daz, i have Glocester mara, northants ultra,NDW50, jw ultra,abingdon mara, and prob druids..

• Options
    I must be daft as I cannot see them lol.  The bottoms yes I can see that but not the jacket.
  • Options

i havnt paid attention spenimage...um ok, I have a waterproof (i think) jacket...and er, the rest of you havnt decided...image...actually i dnt think mine would any good up a mountainimage..but Northamtpon doesnt have mountains...................

........does it?image

• Options

Think I have worked out.   Montane Minimus jacket and Atomic bottoms.  That is the best part of 200 quid lol.

No  I have entered a mountain (or very high hills) marathon in March and it asks for waterproofs.   

• Options
    With regard to shoes, check the weight of them. Did my first trail marathon in a pair of Salomon. Knew they where a bit heavier than my road shoes about 100g, be the end it felt like I was running in driving boots image

Use Inov8 Baregrip 200 now. Very light, very minimal so you need strong feet.

Hate to think how much I have spent on kit for my Ultra this weekend. Just hope the wife doesn't found out. Best book another one to make the most of it image
  • Options

Sounds nuts, but I'm carrying a simple plastic waterproof poncho (<50 g) with me for emergencies (as in: I have a twisted ankle, I'm waiting for someone to come get me and it's started raining). I do want to get a proper lightweight-and-as-breathable-as-possible waterproof (I have several waterproofs, but intended for hill walking, not running, and not light enough or breathable enough), but I figured this was a worthwhile addition when out on runs with only a showerproof jacket.

On the Montane: are the Minimus jacket and Atomic bottoms shower proof or waterproof? And didn't someone say something about the jacket sizing being unusual? I'm a size 10 normally.

• Options
    loulabell wrote (see)

..actually i dnt think mine would any good up a mountainimage..but Northamtpon doesnt have mountains...................

........does it?image

spen, i was joking, im not THAT bad at geographyimage...ouch £200?..thats a lotta doshimage
  • Options
    image...um, shall i curse/swear for you spen..image