Options

New York Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Got a place too but have deferred to 2013 as I can't run it this year.  I really wasn't expecting to get a ballot place - was going for the three rejections (which would have included this year).  Still ice to know the 2013 place is guaranteed. Looking forward to it as I've never been to NY before. 

• Options
    So anyway, I'm on the verge of signing up for the 2012 New York marathon. This will be the 2nd of the 5 Majors that I will be doing (following London last month).

Didn't get through on the ballot. So am wondering what is the best way (and cheapest) of going about it. And does anyone have hotel recommendations? Or any other advice?
  • Options

I got in through the ballot so have booked a flight and accommodation package.  I don't think it is much cheaper than the guaranteed entry route, New York is an expensive city!  Having run Disney, LV, London and Edinburgh I would say most big city marathons are over-hyped.  I'm just hoping to get round in reasonable shape to enjoy the finish in the park image

• Options
    So everyone, only a few long runs left to go. How's the training been going? Despite all my good intentions from previous training cycles I've still had lots of boring injury setbacks, so it's safe to say NY isnot going to be a PB race for me. I'm probably more nervous about getting to the start andyhewaiting around in the cold than the actual race now. Any words of comfort from those of you who have done this before? I'm running on my own, so am relying on you forumites for some pre-race morale boosting and support.
  • Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Picklelilly, I ran NY back in 2008 and getting to the start was very well organised (I was on the official buses). Did get me to the start area very early which meant a long wait, so plenty of layers are required to keep warm and something waterproof (ponchos are great) just in case. Am heading to the start on the ferries this time, which hopefully looks like meaning a shorter wait in the start area than last time. Just remember with 40k odd people trying to get there, just following the first person you see gives you a good chance of ending up at the startimage

I've had a horrible injury affected summer as well, so I'll not be aiming for anything close to a pb either. Am still only managing about 2-3 runs per week. Still on the positive side, plan this time is to run round whilst trying to taking in all the crowds and sights I am running past. Sure I missed loads last time by focussing on that little patch of road just in front of me all the way round!

• Options
    Thanks JAP, that's really helpful. I've booked the ferry option too as I'd heard that would be better. Sorry to hear you've had injury problems too - it really messes with the training schedule doesn't it?! Like you, I'm planning a tourist marathon this time as I did my PB run in the spring marathon.

Did you make it to the Maidenhead Half? It was perfect running conditions but I wasn't a fan of the two lap course. I did a fairly respectable 1:41, which I can live with having done so little training at that point.

Did 16.5 miles last Sunday and I'm planning on an 18 then 20-22 after that before I taper. It's woefully close to race date but the legs just haven't been up to it before now. How about you?
  • Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Picklelilly, yep I made it to Maidenhead and ran a high 1.18. Unfortunately I think that is a little flattering, as it will be the stamina I lack out in NY from lack of total miles, so am not hopeful on a particularly impressive conversion from that. I quite liked the loop bit of Maidenhead, but the town sections at the start and end were a bit twisty an not much fun.

Tried to do a long run yesterday, but felt absolutely shattered by 13 and had to drag myself 2M home to only manage a 15. image
    Plan is for 20s the next 3 weekends, then I am running a half the weekend before NY but just as a pacer to keep me sensible! 
    Given the lack of miles I am guessing a 2 week taper will be more than enough for me, especially as it is not going to be a full on race effort anyway. 

• Options

Does the Staten Island ferry have to be booked? I'm slightly concerned about the waiting at the start. I'm booked on a bus at 6:30am, but my wave isn't until 10:30am, so a lot of waiting around. Was hoping I could maybe get the ferry across 8:30ish if I don't have to book it.

• Options

Terry Rickeard, don't pay too much attention to the time of the bus youre booked on. I got the bus from NYC Library last year and nobody actually checked that I was getting on the correct bus. They'll just make sure that you're wearing your bib. I was also booked on a 6.30am bus but ended up getting one at about 7.30am and nobody questioned it. I would say they are very, very unlikely to turn you away from a later bus.

• Options
    JAP, wow you're fast, but as you say, it's all about the endurance now. 3 x 20 miles will sort you out though. And now I'm thinking I could probably squeeze another 20 miler in before the taper....mmmmm.

Terry, I opted for the ferry route but have been booked on a 6.45 crossing - yikes! No idea what wave I'm in, but I'll probably take the advice on this forum and just get on a later crossing to cut down the wait at the start.

When is everyone getting to NY? I'm flying in on the Friday before to give me a day to 'settle down' before the big run. I didn't want to arrive too soon before because it gives me pre-race nerves!!
  • Options

Wave start times are according to your race number, which equates to your declared running time.  I'm on the 7.30 ferry for a 10.55 start, lots of faffage time!

I'm arriving with my daughter on the Thursday evening.  Anyone else doing the Dash to the Finish Line 5k??  We're aiming to do it together (run/walk) image

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Picklelilly, sorry to start confusing your plans. I know I need more miles, and have not done much to taper from, so sticking the extra long run in 2 weeks out is an easy choice for me.

I am heading out on the Weds, so arrive to see Haloween in NY, which could be interesting? Must behave and not head out drinking though image

Think I am booked on a 6.30 ferry, but getting over there with the ferry and bus over the other side I guess must take a little while, so will probably only have a 2hr wait. I am sure I had a much longer wait last time.

• Options

OK - checked the website and I'm Green Wave 1 which is a 9.40 start time.  Imagine that's the same as you JAP, although you'll be in a faster corral.  I guess a 2 hour wait will be bearable once swaddled in the many layers of charity shop fleece I've been hording.

I'm most impressed that you're taking on the Dash to the Finish Line, Fall Queen.  My travelling companion is not a runner and for him, tolerating one running event during the trip is his limit! image

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Picklelilly, yep I am a 9.40 start off the Blue start. If I remember rightly from last time they start herding you towards the start pen really early, so it will be less than 90 mins waiting, but another half hour waiting in the pens. So do not get rid off all your layers until right before the start once they have you lined up.

I watched the 5k last time, when it was the friendship run and all international runners were altomatically entered. Obviously that has changed to allow for more money making. Did look impressive though with all the nationalities trying to show off where they were from.

• Options

Last year, they had us in the pens in the runners village about 45 mins before the start time, then with about 20 mins to go, they herd you around to the start line where you're led through a rousing rendition of "New York, New York", and then its chocs away... straight up a big mile-long hill!

There were huge bins for clothing in the first set of holding pens in the village at Fort Wadsworth. Nothing at the start line though.

• Options

OK, I'm getting a bit excited now.  From the profile of the course, it looks like the first up hill mile is the highest point.  For those returning to run again, are the later hills as high or as long?  Does it feel like a hilly course throughout?

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

I ran it in 08, so my memory may be a little fuzzy, but

First bridge is definitely the longest and bigest hill on the course. The bridge at 16 is also a fairly significant one (but a little shorter,  smaller than the first one), paricularly as that is generally just as your legs are going to start feeling tired.
    My personal memory is that the course never really felt flat, it always seemed to be slightly rising or falling. This is emphasised by the long streets you spend a lot of time running along, so you get a long view of what the road seems to be doing. I think this is a good thing, as it constantly changes the way your legs are working, so it is not constantly working the same muscles the same way.
    There are also 2 smaller bridges that I remember at halfway and 20ish, that had smaller but noticeable rises.
    And finally Central Park is not flat. There are some challenging climbs, some short and sharp, and it is the last 5k of the race, so they feel even worse. If you are going to run in NY before the marathon at all I would strongly recommend going and running that last 5k, just so you know what yourunning over that last bit.

Having said all that, I set a big pb last time I ran there, comfortably getting under the challenging target I had set myself and felt great the entire way round. Don't destroy yourself on the uphills pushing too hard, don't go chasing time on the downs, run a consistent race (effortwise) and you can still have a good run.

• Options

Ah, so my plan to run Dash to the Finish Line the day before is perfect (if a tad pricey!)

• Options

Have to agree with JAP, the first mile is probably the biggest hill on the course, but because you're still fresh, it doesnt feel so bad. The bridge onto Manhattan (Queensboro Bridge) is far more punishing because its some 15 miles in, its a mile of constant climbing, you're on the lower level of the bridge so it feels enclosed, and there are absolutely no crowds to spur you on. Just the sound of breathing and footsteps.

And Central Park is definitely worth scouting before the race. You'll be surprised how hilly it is! The other thing that comes as a surprise is that the length of 5th Avenue through Harlem then towards the park (I think they call it Museum Mile) is also a long steady climb. Basically, keep something back for the last 4 miles!

• Options
    All really good advice peeps, thanks so much. I'm up early and out for my 18 miler this morning. It's a tough, hilly route, so hopefully it will go some way to preparing me for the big day. Pouring with rain mind you, lovely!!

JAP, good luck with the 20 miler this weekend. Hope the endurance kicks in and gets you round ok. Dare I suggest a slightly slower pace in order to complete the distance?? But you already know that don't you, and us runners just can't bear doing what we're supposed to do.....like not running on an injury....oops! I've only been running 2 years and I'm already breaking the rules.
  • Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Picklelilly, you are completely right, what feels comfortable to begin with was too quick come 15 or so miles. So the good news is I eased back a bit and managed 19.7 on Thurs and then another 20.2 this morning. Legs obviously felt tired by the end of them, but still OK. Unfortunately the achilles was sore throughout both runs, so still plenty of management of runs to get me to the start line in 4 weeks time. Hope your 18 was not too unpleasant in the rain yesterday. And I am with you, I think my rule book got completely ripped up this week! image

• Options

Hi guys, hope training is going well, I'm really looking forward to the taper already!

Legs have been seriously flat this last couple of weeks especially on last weekends 20 miles and todays 22, dont think I could have managed another 4.2!!

Posted 3:22:26 in Paris in April and 1:29:16 in Dublin HM in mid September and am down for a target of 3:20:00 in NY but jury out on that one at the mo after last couple of weeks training. Not particularly hung up on time as NY appears to be a tough course so may just save myself for Boston. 

I'm in orange wave one corral 12 with a 9:40 start but on the 5:45 ferry which seems like alot of hanging about. Noticed earlier comments suggesting that they are not that strict with bus times anyone know if its the same with the ferrys? If I turn up for a later ferry will I definately get on??    

• Options

Hi there: I'm a reporter with The Associated Press based in New York City. I'm writing a story about the New York marathon, and I'm looking for international runners from the UK who are willing to be interviewed about why they decided to run it this year. I can be reached at mbarr@ap.org. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

• Options
    Hi all. I'm also doing NY and after a meniscus op last October, sore achilles most of this year and a hamstring strain the last two weeks I'm finally injury free, have done 95% + of my training plan and I think I'm ready. Had to do my final long run of 22 miles yesterday, a few days later than ideal (Weds 17th October) due to the hamstring and am now looking forward to the taper.

Hitting NY mid day Thursday 1st and really looking forward to it. All my training suggests 3:35 but with a PB of 3:48 and a history of messing marathons up, anything inside 4 hours would be great. Actually just enjoying it in any time would be great.

Can't wait to see NY again. Good luck to you all!
  • Options

Hi Guys,

I am due to run NY but still scraping costs together for flights and accommodation. Nearly there though and hope to book flights and hotel next few days!  Its either that or I have to run Luton Marathon on 18th Nov so guess which one I would rather be running??!! 

I have been training all year for a sub-3 hour for what will be my first full marathon but a little bit concerned about the hillliness of the course now having read this thread!  I have run two 1: 21 and 1:22 half marathons this year, done plenty of long distance training, as well as intervals, fartleks, speed sessions, etc., so was feeling confident until everyone goes on about the flipping hills!  Are they really that bad??

Does anybody know how you go about booking the buses and/or ferries as I did not take up the option on the website link and it is too late now?  To be honest, I didn't like the ridiculously early times they gave you! Surely there must be other crossing/bus times open to the public? I am in Orange Wave 1, Corral 5, with a 09:40 kick off, it that means anything to anyone?

Any tips or advice re: the race or transport not already covered on the thread would be appreciated.  Looking to travel on the Friday and leave on the Monday and will try and get a hotel near to Central Park so less to travel after the race or would it be better to be down south near to the ferries across to Staten Island, especially as I don't have a booking yet?  Any hotel suggestions in either location would be helpful. image     

• Options
    Hi all, well the last long run is in the bag - bit of a late taper for me as I just didn't feel confident I'd done enough mileage having missed 3 mid-length runs in August due to injury. The last one ended up being 18 miles of gruelling hills (sorry Shoelaces, don't mean to alarm you).

JAP how did your last 20 miler go?

Brook - amazing to hear you've managed to complete so much of your training with the injury catalogue!! Well done, you've put me to shame. Enjoy that taper and good luck with the time target. Although enjoying the experience is definitely number one priority for me. I did a significant PB in April, but that was a flat course so I'm not even going to try to match it in NY (sorry again Shoelaces).

Shoelaces - sorry can't help with most of your requests as this will be my first NY, but there are plenty of experienced runners on this thread who will be able to advise. As for accommodation, I had the same dilemma and in the end decided that a hotel close to the finish was more important. So I've booked the Staybridges Suites near Times Square. It might be tricky finding hotel accommodation near Central Park at this late stage though, so that might make the decision for you. Good luck.
  • Options

Thanks Picklelilly. Enjoying the taper now with  yesterday's final "long" run of 8 miles very comfortable. I intend to do very little between now and the big day, mainly as I'm off to Spain on holiday tomorrow, returning Wednesday afternoon before Heathrow on Thursday morning. Just 3 or 4 four to five mile runs, very slow, and try not to drink too much Rioja and San Miguel! On the wagon from next Monday I think.

I'm booked on the 6am (!!!) ferry for some daft reason. Do people think it is definitely safe to turn up for a later ferry? As my start is 10.05 I'm thinking an 8am ferry would be ideal, but is there a danger I won't get over to the start?

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Picklelilly, the last 20 turned into a 15, by then I felt that was enough. image Been trying to run a few slightly quicker sections in my runs this week, just trying to convince my legs I have been running slowly recently and they are capable of moving a little quicker.
    Glad to hear you seem to have got some reasonable runs in towards the end.

Brook, enjoy the holiday, but not too much! Personally I would feel the 8am ferry would be cutting it a little fine. I think the ferry takes a good while to get over there, I have not used it on marathon morning but have at another time. And not sure how getting on the buses and transported to the start village. And finally, last time I ran it they started moving us towards the start a good hour or so before the gun (that was the first wave).

Shoelaces, if you have trained well the hills are not a problem as long as you pace them properly. It is obviously going to be a little slower than a flatter course but it is still more than possible to run a quick time. Personally I think the big thing about pacing NY is to think even effort rather than even pace. From memory I think my first  2 mile splits were about a minute different, 1st uphill 2nd down. Just keep in your head that anything up is going to at least be a little slower and the downs will bring it back again.

• Options
    Thanks JAP and point taken on the time to get across. Think I'll play safe and stay with the 6am ferry.
  • Options
    Well here we are, a week to go! I've been out to cheer on a friend running the Beachy Head Marathon this morning and so I've truly got marathon fever now. Beachy Head is seriously hard core trail running and definitely not for a whimp like me. Last long run tomorrow will probably be max 12 miles then it's just a few short 3-4 mile jogs to keep the confidence up before the big day. "Crikey, I hope I've done enough" she muttered nervously.