Options

New York Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Well I guess I have stopped worrying about the training I have / haven't done and whether the niggles will hold out for the whole race. Although preferred that to panicking over whether I will even make it to NY or not! imageimageimage

• Options
    What are others thinking about the event being on and getting there? NYRR saying it goes on at present but it seems getting to the start could be the big problem.

For me, having just been encouraged by what the mayor and NYRR are saying, the opening of JFK at mid day and BA resuming flights tonight, I've just discovered a further problem. We're staying at the Hilton New York on 57th/Avenue of the Americas, but due to a dangerously damaged crane nearby, our hotel has been evacuated and 57th to 59th and 5th to 7th are closed. Not looking good.

I'm running out of time as we are due to fly at 08.30 tomorrow.

How are others doing.
  • Options
    Update. Just found on Hilton NY's Facebook page that they're open for business.

Phew! For now the dream lives on!
  • Options

Hello Brook,

I am due to fly to NY on Friday for the NYC marathon ..., how did you find out about the evacuation? Does the hotel have any contingency plans or are we told when we arrive?

• Options
    Hi RANTANPLAN

My wife saw it on CNN and then the Internet. Seems almost certain our flight is going and with the hotel ok seems the remaining big issues are airport to hotel and hotel to Statten Island. Assuming of course the event itself survives!

Are you also staying at the Hilton New York?
  • Options

Good luck to all of you who are running the NYC marathon Sunday. The show must go on! If you haven't run before, the crowds in all the different neigbourhoods are just phenomenal, you'll never get bored on the course. I imagine that in the aftermath of Sandy, the support you will receive will be even more incredible than usual. It will be a really emotional experience. Run safe and do post your experiences here.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

My flight was cancelled this morning, but I have managed to get re-booked onto a flight for Saturday. Unfortunately it is not due to land till 10pm!!! So I might just make it to my hotel in time to make my way to the start image. That is provided they let me get someone else to collect my number for me. Think the race could prove interesting.

• Options

I am sure you can arrange for them to hold on to your number under the circumstances. Definitely pre-arrange it with the race directors though. Good luck JAP! 

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Cheers RZR. I have family arriving the day before, so given the circumstances I am sure they will be able to pick it up for me.

• Options

I think it might be a bit chaotic this year... But there will be an incredible atmosphere, particularly given what has happened this week. The NY Times has a report that marathon organisers are out surveying the route today to ensure it is passable - then they are working through strategies for runner transport to the start at Staten Island.

Good luck and safe travels everyone. Very jealous of you all!

Iain

• Options

Is anyone flying out to arrive 13:20 on Friday? - if so, did you want to share a cab into the city if the public transport is still shaky? Drop me a PM if that works..

Fingers crossed!

• Options

I have received a message inviting check in for a BA flight (operated by American Airlines) from Manchester to JFK on Thursday. The status is indicating that the flight is operating.

I telephoned the reception desk at the hotel where I am booked in the Marriott Marquis and confirmed that it is business as usual.

Good luck everyone in getting there.

• Options

Friday: edinburgh - heathrow @ 7:35am 
    heathrow - newark - 11 am - arrive 14:55

staying in the Marriot Marquis too! 

• Options

This is the third time I've entered and I have yet to run it - due to circumstances beyond my control. Nor am I likely to this year, due to a bad bout of IBS. Have fun everyone, I'm sure the atmosphere will be amazing, but I guess it's just not meant to be as far as I am concerned!

• Options

Hi Matt Whiteley,

I am flying on Friday on the Virgin flight 09:20-13:20 from Heathrow. Happy to share a cab if the public transport isn't working very well.

I was planning on getting the AirTrain if it's okay.

What's your email address?

• Options

Hey Marc, I just sent you a PM, drop me a line when you get it.

• Options

Update on Washington Post suggests giving people more time to pull put and get guaranteed places for next year. Subway and ferry both looking dodgy.
    Good luck to all going out and hope you get there, enjoy and bring back good memories. It's a great race under any circumstances

• Options

Hotel confirmed open and looks like my BA flight from LHR tomorrow at 08.30 is going as they've finally (just now!) allowed me to check in online.

Just local transport in NYC to contend with now.

Bad luck on your flight JAP but I admire your tenacity in travelling Saturday.

• Options
    My hotel near Times Square has confirmed it is open and my flight on Friday is currently still operating.....but how do we get to the City from Newark Airport? And how to get to Staten Island for the start?

The bigger question perhaps is should a marathon close roads and put further pressure on emergency services at a time like this? I just don't know what to do. I don't want to miss the race if it really IS going ahead - but the logistics and lack of info from NYRR is really worrying.
  • Options
    Hi, if anyone has reached New York, it would be great to hear from you. What was situation at airport? Getting into town? Any useful info from the expo about changes to travel plans for start of race?

Good luck everyone - hope you get to the start safe and sound.
  • Options

make sure you all have wellies

• Options

Or a Canoe...

Good luck everyone!!

• Options

Hi All,

I ran New York back in 2009 - it was the best supported race I've ever run but this year's event is bound to be that extra bit special.

I work for Sky Sports News and we are trying to find any runners who have already made it out there to come on the phone and tell us what the travel to NYC was like and the difficulties of getting to the start on Sunday.

It's always an early alarm call to get to Staten Island but I see that some people will now have to get buses leaving Manhattan at 4.30am!!!!!

Message me if you have already made it there and I'll be back in touch.

Good luck!

• Options
    No electricity below 32nd and therefore no businesses are open. JFK is operating normally and Newark and La Guardia are fairly normal. Some subways are closed and it can be hard to get a cab. A lot of shops still closed in upper Manhattan. Electricity could still be out in a lot of areas even by Sunday. Not a great place to be at the moment. I'm quite surprised the marathon is even still on. Central Park is closed and there are big queues for everything.
  • Options
    Just read The Guardian report on this and I have to say I totally agree that there is no way the race should be on. People are homeless and hungry, shops are closed and powerless. There is no time to be putting resources into an event.
  • Options

Bad news guys - hopefully you won't have a totallly wasted trip.

It would have been bad actually, looking at how bad the people of Queens and SI are having it... Resources are needed elsewhere.

• Options
    Perfect timing from Bloomberg, he'll get the benefit of everyone travelling to NY (most will have left before the cancellation was announced) and keeping their economy going, without diverting the emergency services from where they're needed. It was obvious on Tuesday that the race couldn't go ahead.

Still, he was going to get criticised whatever he did, and on Tuesday there were more important things to worry about. There still are.
  • Options

BBC news is covering this story tonight - if there are any disappointed runners already in NYC who have a phone and want to have their say, why not message me off site right now....thanks 

• Options

I've just arrived today, with a flight full of eager runners.

Really disappointed, but obivously this is ultimately the best decision given the situation, but it's really frustrating that the decision came so late, following such assurance that it would go ahead.