Options

New York Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Hi from NY. I was here for an appointment for another reason that also got cancelled and has been a huge burden on me, but at least only financially unlike many in NYC. I saw loads of runners arrive over the last couple of days and am saddened to hear that the marathon has been cancelled. Obviously a situation that you cannot win. Perhaps someone could arrange an unofficial marathon to collect funds for the disadvantaged or something?
  • Options
    I'd just like to add that getting charged $400 a night for a crappy hotel because they can basically charge what they want due to many of the locals not having electricity and the rooms already being already almost full, puts a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Apparently it's in poor taste to run a marathon in this environment, but it's not in poor taste to let the hotels charge 3 times the normal rate for a room.

Why not run the marathon and require an extra donation of $50 per runner and $50 per runner's hotel or something constructive like that? Obviously to go towards the relief effort.
  • Options
    Bloomberg is an idiot for not cancelling it much much earlier. Feel sorry for the people who have travelled there. It's a terrible place to be at the moment.
  • Options

I understand that New York is going ahead with football events this weekend and Broadway is open.  

It seems it is just the marathon that the New Yorkers were whinging about.  

• Options

I've been here since Thursday night - I'm not surprised that they've cancelled it but that they've only just done that now as a result of incresing public pressure yesterday. 

It should have been a no-brainer to decied on Tuesday to redeploy the race resources to support the people affected once the extent of the damage could be seen. And that would have been before most people travelled so it would have been an easy insurance claim. I for one would have been happy to waive a refund on my entry cost if the organisers had wanted to divert their resources in this way.

Now I just feel that they've been very greedy, wanting to make sure we're here and spending at the expo! 

• Options
    Well just about to leave our lovely room overlooking Central Park, planning a different three remaining days of our stay. I have to say, that despite disappointment at missing the event, five months training and over ??5,000 spent this is absolutely the right decision. With two young children dead on Statten Island, bodies still being recovered and people without water having to witness thousands of runners throwing gallons of water into the roadside, it would have been morally unforgivable to allow this relatively unimportant event to go ahead.

For me it had all started so well with a flight landing 20 minutes early, no taxi queues at JFK and in Manhattan within one hour of the planes scheduled landing time. A hiccup followed with the discovery our Hilton on 57th was closed due to the dangling crane nearby, but we quickly rolled our four cases a couple of blocks to the Hilton on 54th who instantly fixed us up with an equivalent junior suite to the original hotel booking. Judging by how packed this hotel became in the next 36 hours I think we were very lucky. Loads checking out now, especially the elite athletes.

In this part of NYC, other than the dangling crane and the closed 57th Street and Central Park, you would never know anything had happened. We were about to go to bed at 7pm last night when we heard the news of the cancellation, so we got dressed and went to two or three bars and had a beer or three.

I've been for a cob web clearing, quick 6 mile run in the gym this morning and now I'm off out to enjoy my stay, disappointed but satisfied that the right decision has been made. I can't even complain that they should have made the decision three days earlier, which they should, as we would have come anyhow.

I shall return next year for my nw guaranteed 2013 place, albeit I'm going to have to ay the entry fee again.
  • Options
    Left London last night full of excitement, arrived to JFK to find race cancelled.

Not wanting to waste 16 weeks of training I'll look to do another 26.2

My question is, bearing in mind I've been tapering for three weeks, and will not be able to get out running for another 10 days, what date (Sun 17th, Sun 25th, Sun 2nd etc) should I reschedule for, and how should I train between now and then?

I'm looking at 2:50 target if that makes a difference
  • Options
    Now that's the Blitz spirit Bertie! I must say that, if there is a resilience in the New York people the authorities are badly dragging their heels. I've never been anywhere where the power has been out for so long. If driving around with flashing lights and sirens on 24 hours a day achieved anything they would be amazing. I would rather they had cops on streets corners helping people and telling them what is going on. People need food, candles flash lights and information. No of which is being provided.

The traffic to the airports is pretty bad so beware that a lot of cab drivers don't want to go there and the private cars want $120 to take you there for what should be a flat fee of $52.
  • Options

If any of you are here in NYC and want to do some volunteering, there's a great interactive map here:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200304926652438693806.0004cd7334cea4f3d271d&msa=0&ll=40.778722%2C-73.947258&spn=0.249837%2C0.601501
    /

Going to do some of this whilst I'm still here, then start plotting for where I can do my 26.2.... My legs are ready!

• Options

sorry but more fool the runners who made the journey, the place has just been hit with a hurracane!! did you really think the race would be on?! they have bigger priorities and personally knowing people who live there its down right disrespectful that you would expect them to put a race on for you! Have some compassion!

• Options

er, Avit, reading the posts above no-one really seems to be complaining despite the work/money they've put in.

They seem to have a bit more compassion than you actually.

• Options
    I agree Omar. There's always someone trying to stir things up with silly derisory comments. Best to ignore
  • Options
    Surrey Runner wrote (see)

I understand that New York is going ahead with football events this weekend and Broadway is open.  

It seems it is just the marathon that the New Yorkers were whinging about.  

To be fair both NYC football teams actually play in New Jersey at the Meadowlands, so that would have little affect on the anything in Queens or SI, or even Manhattan.

The Broadway theatre area was nothing like as affected by the storm as the lower east side, SI and parts of Queens. All of which the marathon route passes through. the theatres also don't result in temporary road closures and policing resources.

The marathon being cancelled as disappointing as it will be to many runners is the right move. The big mistake was telling people it would be on earlier in the week and not cancelling it back then.

• Options

how on earth is what ive said not compassionate? get a dictionary

• Options

believe it or not i wasnt refering to you or your comments but those on the news of runners complaining... get over yourself! 

if i was i would have made good use of the quote function but i didnt!

• Options

avit, got to say I feel your comments are harsh on those who travelled to be there, the Mayor made the decision that the race would go ahead and up until yesterday that was the case and so of course they made the trip to take part.

FWIW I agree with the decision for the event to be cancelled but the decision so late in the day was wrong, and that's what runners 'may' have legitimately been complaining about!

• Options

Avit.  You get over yourself and stop trying to inflame a perfectly civilised discussion on a forum.

I have to say reading these posts made me feel good about fellow runners.  On spending considerable sums of money and travelling 1000's miles on this forum people have just said ah well, got on with their trip and backed the decision to cancel. Good on you and ignore the trolls.

• Options
    Only idiot, lacking compassion, intelligence and understanding on this forum is Avit.

Moron.
  • Options
    Avit,

The locals on the ground said everything was fine thus the ruynners came. Then after the runners had arrived and paid their cash the locals cancelled the race. Sounds like a shake down to me.
  • Options
    You use the words seems and sounds like quite a bit don't you Surrey. Makes you seem and sound like a right Jeremy
  • Options

Unlike you, Sussex Runner, I am mature enough not to make personal attacks on other forum members.  So I will simply put you on ignore.

• Options
    Yeah making jibes about a group of people suffering the after affects of a hurricane is really mature. So I will simply call you a Jeremy to everyone else.
  • Options
    Unofficial New York marathon looks about to start on News Channel. anyone able to shed any light on this/
  • Options
    For what I can gather there seems to be a few hundred or more people doing the original 1970 marathon route round Central Park. I don't think this is a drain on local resources and the the runners seem to be doing it in the right spirit. Organised by a Statten Island local who wants to show New York's resilience, I say " Go for it "
  • Options

I say go for it too! 

• Options
    Do you live over there NLR ?
  • Options

There's more than a few hundred people out - there's absolutely thousands of people running around central park - there are people with flags and bells, and the NYRR still have the bleachers and the Finish gate set up, so it's like a mini carnival out there.

I've just got back from a few hours out there myself, and it's like a huge fun run. If you're out here in NYC and haven't gone out for a run yet - go now, you won't regret it!

I saw one ambulance on standby (which is nice) but other than that there's no big use of resources, as it seems like it's just security guys who would have been there for the race anyway. In fact, there were some lovely people who had put up their own water stand to help the runners. Great spirit!

/members/images/743531/Gallery/NYC_marathon2.jpg

/members/images/743531/Gallery/NYC_marathon1.jpg

• Options
    Just nipped over for the Halloween Parade Cougie. Which they duly cancelled for the first time in 39 years. I trained for months for that parade!!
  • Options

A true show of NYC resiliance in my opinion. Fair play to everyone there. Thanks for the pics

• Options

/members/images/610091/Gallery/RunAnyway12_0.png

/members/images/610091/Gallery/RunAnyay10_0.png

/members/images/610091/Gallery/RunAnywayMRW_0.jpg

/members/images/610091/Gallery/RunAnywayMRW1_0.jpg

/members/images/610091/Gallery/RunAnywayMRW2_0.jpg

Wow what an event and what a response to the above post on FB!

Absolutely amazing, cant speak highly enough of the organisers, after all the debate, politics and eventual disappointment, thousands of people showed up in Central Park on marathon morning just to run and many like myself loved every inch of the 26.2 milesimage

The fact that the course by and large followed the route of the original NYM added to a very special morning. 

But this wasn't the end of the NY 2012 story for a few hundred of the Irish contingent but I'll need a separate post to finish this tale!