Options

The Spine

Comments

• Options

LOL T Rex... the leader must be a machine - he is flying.  Will Mimi take a break while she has shelter?  The next section for her is boggy as hell and is going to be a bugger in the dark!

• Options

Oh my ... The leader Pavel has reached CP4 already at least 10 hours ahead and possibly nearly a day ahead of 4th backwards he's just amazing! 

• Options

Has anyone on this thread done this before?  Is it possible to do that without sleep?? Clearly it is!!  Will hallucinations kick in at any point?!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I make Pavel Paloncy about 17K ahead which is smaller than it has been - he must have had some rest last night.  If Steve Holyoak doesn't spend too long at Alston CP that he is just arriving at I rate his chances of closing that gap.

#21 spent ages stationery in the middle of nowhere - must have put his tent up, but coming along nicely in 3rd.  I

It would be good at the end if a list of split times/time spent at CPs could be produced just to see what the best strategies are.

Mind you I don't expect they're following strategies - must be a case of mind over matter by now and just plodding on in a haze, literal and metaphorical.

Gripping stuff - 43 very impressive people still out there.

• Options

It is fantastic isn't it.

I love the German bloke that is plodding along at his own pace at the rear.

• Options
    cragchick wrote (see)

it's incredible to watch, the leader is just powering on regardless ... I'll have whatever he's on please!!  interesting to watch the ladies race ... Mimi being marvellous but a bit of competition ... ah, really do need to go to sleep!!

cragchick wrote (see)

it's incredible to watch, the leader is just powering on regardless ... I'll have whatever he's on please!!  i

....A quad bike maybe !  image

• Options

It's outstanding isn't it T Rex?  Really impressive.  Getting really interesting now seeing if Pavel Paloncy can keep going, or does someone else have that second wind to have a strong finish.

I'd also like to know what people have on their feet.  You're running 4-5 days - you can't wear full on hiking boots, but if you get snow, your feet are going to be in serious trouble in no time.

• Options

17-20k Lead BUT, he has gone through CP4 with CP5 being the only really big Check Point left before the end, will the bloke in second need to stop and sort himself out for a while at CP4 get his feet sorted etc... I think the lead will probably stretch a bit again, as I don't expect him to be straight in and out.

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

Leader closing in on Bellingham.  He has circa 72miles in 46hrs to break 5 days (c50hrs for the record).  We don't know his strategy but it's looking like a fast overall time if he can keep to 2mile/hr with some stops thrown in.  Who knows, he could be a mess....!

Seen a pic of Charlie Sharpes feet on FB.  He has each individual toe taped up.  The sealskinz obviously didn;t do their job!

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options

He has actually stretched the lead in time now to 10 hours 51 minutes at CP4.

Distance might be less but time is increasing.

• Options

Ohh Bit worried about the last competitor is it Annie is still in CP2 and only allowed 12 hours in a CP aren't you? must be getting close to having to go, or maybe she left ages ago and her tracker is just misbehaving.

I think they must replace the batteries at each full CP as the battery levels seem to go up on them or recharge em.

• Options

That lead is just mind-blowing.

My productivity at work over the last couple of days has plummeted, as I am glued to the tracker!

• Options

/members/images/712846/Gallery/Pavel-cp4.jpg

At CP4 around midnight last night I think this was from.  Amazing, was interested to see the size of his pack image (the one that is normally on his back, behave!!).

• Options

On the one hand, he looks fooked, but then considering the past 70 hours or so, he's looking pretty damn good!

• Options

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sit upright after that amount of time image

I'm amazed the EU let it take place. Must be upsetting someone's human rights!

• Options

Ahhh. The pic was taken around 3AM he got there at midnight had a 2 hour snooze and this is him pretty much ready to go again at 3 AM.

• Options

Crap number 75 looks very lost?

• Options

As does no.27 - what's going on there?

• Options

27 has been picked up, he's withdrawn image I was about to say down to 41 left now out of the original 75

• Options

It's weird on the map as the Pennine Way seems to split and that's the trail that 75 looks like he's taken.  He might get back on track, but he's added quite a few miles to what's already a very difficult task.

58 is in a good place.  That's the only area I know quite well.  He will be going past an old ruin called Crackpot Hall.  Great name!

• Options

It looks like 21 is really charging again after a slow night.  Within six km of the 2nd place man at CP4.

But it all depends on how long they rest I guess.  The leader was there 3 hours ish... 42 has been there an hour and 40 mins.  Can he get going or is he having a nice snooze.

At this stage do you care a flying jot about if your 2nd or 3rd, or is that one of the things that would keep you going trying to stay ahead, or catch someone?

Never been at the front end of any sort of race, but even when you are in the bottom 25% you still feel it a bit when you are coming up to the line and trying to catch someone.

• Options

From the spines facebook page... It's still tough going....

This is Guido.

/members/images/712846/Gallery/Guido.jpg

• Options

No. 75 has strayed into a rifle range with map signs saying "Danger area"

• Options

The bloke in 4th is now on the A686 looks like another retirement image you cannot get much better conditions in the middle of January image such an endurance test.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

#19 has got picked up

#75 took the 'long route' across the A66 and now looks to be lost.

I'm keeping an eye on #14 - has got worrying tendencies at the moment.

How much work are we all getting done??

• Options

How much work are we all getting done??

Errrrr.....work?!!

• Options

I'm too busy flitting between the race tracking and FB!!  I like the guy's comments about how much he loves armchair running!

That picture of Guido sums it up - when someone asks you why do you do it, and it's the fact that you go through that, then complete the task, the feeling is just so immense.  It's unsurprising that people look at you as if you're weird.  

I could go a pint of Black Sheep if we're at the Tan Hill though.  I don't drink much, but I do like that.

• Options

Booktrunk, 59 is where you'll cross on your wall run in the summer.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

75 is OK - just making a long job of it.