Options

The Spine

Comments

• Options
    Hi Rich,

Yes, I agree, there was great comaraderie there, and more each day i suspect.. That second leg to Hawes-( the finish for me) was neverending, my feet took a battering, so did my head.. Was talking (shouting) to myself towards the end, as tiredness took over rational thought. I made a couple of daft nav errors, ending up sprinting uphill to get back onto the PW right at the finish coming off Dodd Fell. (dont really understand why i was sprinting) but the adrenaline was flowing, thats for sure.

Great reception at the finish from the Spine Team and from the locals at the pub opposite the Checkpoint- beers and food on the house! Great stuff.

The Spine is going to be one of those must-do events for complete nutters... like us i guess.
    Admiration and respect for those still out there!

So whats next for you... once you can walk again?

Mark

• Options
    I've just been into Lincoln and done some shopping!! Feet feel pretty battered but amazingly my quads and calves have never felt better after an ultra!

I agree that this is a must do for anyone wanting a massive challenge - both physical and mental. I would love to have another crack next year but fancy I would have to do it without my gonads if I asked my lovely wife. I think she went through a lot too and was really worried especially as she saw the weather getting colder and colder and saw the length of time the sections were taking.

My only firm "booking" is the Lakeland 100 in July. Will probably do Caesars Camp again in October - open to suggestions for others. Would love to do the Grand Raid Pyrenees some time - perhaps next year. UTMB? But getting harder and harder to get into. Perhaps we should all have a go at Tor des Geants - Gary's done the recce!!

The Spine has whetted my appetite!
  • Options
    Im in the lottery for the UTMB again, so fingers crossed, the draw is friday morning. Ive done it twice before, 3 times if you include 2010 which was a shortened version due to abandonment after severe weather. Did the TDS last year. If I dont get in the UTMB, im going to try the Grand Raid Pyrenees in August, but i agree, the Tor Des Geants has to be done.

Before that.. many and varied actually, but the Fellsman in April.. you done it? Fantastic event. South Downs 100 end of June, and im on the waiting list for the Lakeland 100-(which i did previously in 2009). May do the Old County Tops in May, never done, but always wanted to..

Feet are still a bit sore, but have to recover by tomorrow as ive a group of potential ultra runners im guiding in the evening around the lovely hills of South Devon..

Take it easy,

Maybe see you around this year's events

Mark
  • Options
    Hi Rich fantastic effort , wish i could have been there. Tackling the full spine with not much idea of what to expect takes real guts!
    Been chatting to Mark about his race plan on the challenger. (Run the race non stop at a pace fast enough to stay warm and arrive at CP2 with nothing left in the tank)
    The full spine must have required a different plan. How did you manage your sleep/rest periods? What equipment worked ? Is it possible to get yourself from racing mode into your sleeping bag with out loosing body heat too fast? or is the best option to sleep at checkpoints.
    I know Mark had wet feet for his whole run. Did anyone use long sealskin sox and did they work?
    I appreciate that the conditions next year won,t be the same but whatever information you might feel helpful would be appreciated.
    Looks like I am signed up for the spine in 2012 and this is the start of my nerves.
  • Options
    Thanks Ian - yes I'm really chuffed with what I did - a small pang of regret that I didn't go further - but also pleased that I was able to make what was definitely the correct decision to withdraw.

Your questions seem similar to what was going through my mind on Friday night - I have never been so nervous in my life. Quite frankly, I was scared - really didn't want to be there.....but so glad I was.

I'm planning doing a full report on my blog in the next few days and will hopefully cover most of your points - http://richrunnings.blogspot.com/

Just quickly - and these are just my opinions! - definitely go checkpoint to checkpoint re rest/sleep. Bivvying was strictly for emergencies only - it was soooo cold. I wore Montrail Badrock Outdries - waterproof membrane equivalent to Gortex - Hilly Xstatic trail socks and Raidlight debris gaiters. Unfortunatly pair 1 ripped and sprung a leak leading to trench foot and blisters. Got pair 2 on at CP2 and had almostly completely dry feet through stage 3. Very comfortable shoes. For this race and in these conditions, I'd recommend something similar. The gaiters were excellent too. had some Sealskin socks - wore them for a bit - but didn't find them very comfortable.

Will try and do my report soon!

Need to plan my season out - need another adventure

PS my sleep pattern is still wrecked
  • Options
    They made it in just over 152 hrs!!!!! Joint winners. Third place 6 days 14 hrs.
    Before the start there was much talk that racing the full Pennine way in jan was not possible.
    Now we know it is, then this race could join the the list of races to do by ultra runners who are truly mad (even by ultra runner standards)
    16 starters , 3 finished. Somehow i expect that the 20% finish rate may not change much unless the race format is changed.
    This race will probably fill up fast next year. Before you consider entering i have only one thing to say : TRENCH FOOT. Its real and it will be one of your main concerns.
  • Options
    Amazing effort by the guys - I am just in awe.

Personally, I can't wait for another crack. I have a place in the MdS next year but am seriously considering binning that, saving a wad of cash, and doing some of the great events on our doorstep.
  • Options
    Ian, Mark - Fellsman sounds great. How much nav really is ther and what sort of percentage is not patched ie on the fell/dale cos I ain't no fell runner (yet!)
    Cheers
  • Options
    For anyone who is interested, here is my initial account - more to follow

http://richrunnings.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    re fellsman . First 20 miles --run with the crowd(no need to nav) Second 20 miles thinning out so nav dif depends on viz but by then you will have slotted in with others at your pace. Even if you are shadowing an experienced naver try to keep track of where you are on your map. (if you don,t do this you will never learn and will be lost if you can,t keep up!) Relying on your own nav will cut a min of 10% off your pace. Anyone who knows the course has a huge advantage on all nav events. Third 20 miles you will probably be compulsery teamed up for the night . This happens at the checkpoint you reach just before dusk. You will have some choice of who you team with (try to pick a good navigator or butter still someone who has run the course several times) If you are delayed at this point the marshal will stop the clock on your time, Its also worth checking if the team wants to really go for it or just plod through the night. GPS is allowed on the event but in practice unless you can use one without having to think about it they are not much use while racing.
  • Options
    Rich,

Yes, totally agree with Ian regarding nav. Unless you're at the front you can get away with following those in front (hoping that they themselves know where they are going). Low viz could throw you tho'. Most difficult sections to nav would be after Fleet Moss CP. Then during nighttime. First couple of times i did it, i had prob between Buckden Pike and Top Mere CP. Can be tricky in the dark.

Its a fantastic event. See You there!

Mark
  • Options

I am bumping up this thread to get a bit of advice on tackling this event. 

Definitely a possibility for next year. 

• Options
    Get in there!!

Got to 135 miles this year before becoming hypothermic and have already entered next year's event. Really well organised by a great group of people. Atmosphere was brill!!

Here's my account:

http://richrunnings.blogspot.com/
  • Options

Thanks for posting that Rich, it made a fascinating read. 

What clothing will you carry next year, knowing what you know now?

• Options
    Definite upgrade of gloves needed.
    Will rethink base layer and overall layering system.
    Mainly though I think I need to rethink my fuelling strategy - need to eat more and more frequently
    Ultimately it was bloody cold and I'm only little!
  • Options
    What was the consensus on shoes ? Did anyone try the Sportiva shoes with the built in gaiters? From all the accounts i have read it seems that keeping your feet dry and hence avoiding trench foot would make a huge difference to your pace. Having said that next years event could all be about dealing with torrential rain and high winds for days on end.
  • Options
    I had some Montrail Badrock Outdry shoes - waterproof membrane - and Raidlight gaiters. Pretty much dry feet!!
    IMO, Waterproof/goretex is definitely the way to go for this event
  • Options
    Would you recommend carrying a lightweight down jacket or gillette?
  • Options

Well, put it this way.......at one point I was wearing Underarmour Coldwear LS base layer, tech T-shirt, Montane Fireball Smock (windproof insulated), First Ascent light wt down jacket and then had to put my OMM Kamleika over the top and then withdrew with hypothermia!! It was bloody cold in the middle of the night! I do feel the cold - not much insulation on me - but it was really cold that week.

• Options

IMO I would advise against goretex / waterproof shoes. Further on the course, 150 miles and beyond,  the terrain became very boggy. I was up to my knees in mud and water.

Whatever you wear you have to accept with this race you are going to get some serious foot issues over 268 miles, and it's going to hurt.

With regards to lightweight down jacket / gillette, I occassionally wore a Rab vest as part of my thermal protection. The secret lies in knowing when to add or remove appropriate layers. You have to be mentally alert and aware of what's happening to be able to make quick effective decisions and and respond to situations.

• Options
    Hi Gary congratulations!
    With regard to the boggy terrain after 150 miles, was that due to the rain thawing out the ground? What I am getting at is did the sub zero conditions on the first few days cap over the bogs .
    If we get a freeze for the duration of the race next year then some degree of gortex may stave off the trench foot at least for a while.
    I take it you rotated your shoes for dry ones where possible from your support crew. How did Mark manage as i don,t think he had a support crew?
    Living in devon its,s a hell of a long way to go for a recce. Any parts of the course you think it would be worth concentrating on ? I have the Harveys maps showing the parts with vague trails in sections, did these match the reality on the ground?
  • Options

Hi guys - booked leave this week for this and if accepted will be entering next month.

who used GPS and if so what model? how was battery power / spare batterys?  Will be getting the OS Maps and have to get back to remembering Nav skills from old Army days - that and the being mental part to take part in this..... Cant wait - Just kit and logistics to look at.

Whos already signed up for 2013?

• Options

Finally got myself properly entered. Now waiting to see if the training day clashes with the winter100. My diary is starting to look rather over crowded.

• Options

In response;

I used the same pair of shoes for the entire race. I did not have a support crew, I relied on reaching the checkpoints to access my kit bag/spare clothing. I'm not sure what footwear Mark wore and if he changed it, Mark's father was at a few villages with his campervan to meet Mark on route & check in on him, but Mark was pretty much self-sufficient, again relying on making it to checkpoints.

There is no 'hand holding' from a support crew on the Spine race. The 5 checkpoints are very far apart, and you have to be totally self-sufficient to handle what occurs. All competitors at some point of the race grouped together, but ultimately you're on your own. I would regard this race as more of a solo 6 to 7 day Mountain Marathon such is the kit and skill set required for this event.

This is a totally unique race, more of an adventure.

With regards to which parts of the course to 'concentrate' on, basically all 268 miles ! A lot depends on what time of day and what the weather conditions are. As for the trail, it is easy to lose it through lack of concentration, navigation issues or just plain confusing with the number of other routes criss-crossing the Pennines. I didn't rely on GPS, I much prefer map & compass.

All the best to all who enter 2013, I look forward to meeting you.

• Options

Good to hear from you Garry.  Food breaks at pubs / cafes on the rout must have been a real help at times. Having read various accounts it seems like information on location and food serving times would help.

Are you in the RAB MM or the OMM this year? 

• Options
    A stop in civilisation was a welcome & in some cases a necessary respite from the wintry weather. As for locations & opening times Richard L is your man for that, I think he's compiling a book. You'll get to experience yourself this coming Spine race. image
  • Options

Entering today guys, cant wait. Ty for your updates on here Gary, I'll be self sufficient too with no support crew. i'm an OK map reader but hoping to get a GPS.Selecting kit i guess is a big part for helping with the elements. Rest will be will power I guess lol..

This sounds like such an epic adventure, 6 to 7 days alone in the wilderness. Cant wait to meet everyone talking part.

I'll not be at the training weekend in Nov, its my wedding anniversary, the wife will kill me image

• Options
    Nice one Lee - and welcome.