Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    update, longest run is 2.5 hours, miles? 15?
    did race next night and felt fine! I will enjoy the feeling while it lasts!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    I know I have not posted for a while and want to wish everyone well on there quests,
    but I have no option but to defer not a decision I have come to lightly or without great sadness and much wets stuff flowing but there we are.I will be back next year once again aiming for a GFA place.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP - Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Sorry to hear that you've got to defer as well. It's a tough decision to make. I hope that it's just a minor glitch and that you're out and about again soon.

In which marathon are you trying to get the GFA time?

I hope that everybody else is running well.

Cheers,

JTS
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

WP & JTS bad luck and all that....I'm sure you will both come back stronger next year.

I must say this week my legs feel knackered, and I think I'm going to defer my 16 miles until Monday/Tuesday just so I get rid of the niggles and latic acid in them.

Is training taking a toll on everyone else? it feels like my body is telling my brain stop trying to be so blinkin stupid!

Did 14 miles last Sunday felt shattered at 12.5+. When I finished I thought well only another 12.2 miles on top................................

Natnif, good luck in Rome.

Regards.

Higo
  • Options
    thanks Higo

I was maxing my mileage a month or do ago,
    right now I am tapering and carbo-loading . . .

Lovely !!!

WP - :-(( but CUNY
  • Options
    Havent posted for a couple of weeks. training going well, but becoming doubtful about sub 4. I cant seem to really improve on speed. So far my long runs have been, 16,16,18, 20 and 15 (today, step back week), trying to get as amany LSD runs as I can as in 2 previous marathons I havent done enough of these. I dont seem to have any problems with these long runs but cant seem to step up the pace. I think sub 4.30/4.15 is a more realistic goal. wont be too disappointed though as fasted time is 4.55- we'll wait and see!!!!
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

my longest run ever 16 miles 2.28 today, put's me at about 4.hours 20 mins. Must admit getting round and enjoying the experience is my main aim now.

Just going to run a lovely ice bath........................................

Billie, impressive training, are you going to step it up agin if so what distances and time do you expect etc?

Higo
  • Options
    Higo, I am having to miss original planned 20 next week as its my hubbies 40th party weekend. I shall try and do 13-15 though if there is time before the preparations, then either 2 more 20 miles or 18 and 20. I have done more LSD this year compared to my other 2 FLM. I hope to get as near to 4 hours as possible, but to be honest I will be happy with sub 4.30 and think this is within my reach this year!!
  • Options
    It all seems to be getting very close. I did a 17 miler on Saturday and 15.5 the week before. For the first time I am starting to feel really tired at the end of the long runs. I have entered the Oakley 20 a week on Sunday and am debating what distance to run this Sunday. Should I edge up to about 18 or should I have a lighter run so as to be refreshed for the 20 miles next weekend? Four hours for the FLM looks a bit optomistic at this point, I'm trying to convince myself to just go out and enjoy it and forget about times.
  • Options
    Hi Howard,

I did 16 miles on Sunday and yes the last couple of miles were hard work, but as I've increased my distance ie 12 14 16 it's always the last couple of miles!! I'm hoping to feel tired on mile 24 on race day, it seems to be mind games with me.
    I'm a first time marathon runner so cannot offer advice about this weekend.

I too am busy convincing myself that the best thing on the day is to finish injury free and know I've give it my best shot whether that is 3.59 or 4.59. One thing I have noticed is that my pace slows from 8 minute mile pace on the first couple to 10 on the last.
    It is getting close, I had a mini panick attack this morning what if I don't finish??
    What training are you doing over a week?

Regards.

Higo

• Options
    Hi Higo

don't worry about not finishing , , , after the
    preparation you have done you will finish!! You
    may not make 4 hours - but the attitude of
    enjoying
    the day whatever is bang on !!

Howard

My thought is that you are preparing for London
    not for Oakly - so I would do 18 then 20 as it
    looks like a steady training plan. After the
    20 you can start a longis taper . . .

• Options
    Hi Hugo and Natif

Thanks for the advice

Yes the Oakley is part of the preparation for FLM. A Typical week is, in no particular order, 1 quick five mile run, 1 five mile fartlek, a slightly longer run (7.5 miles) at medium pace and one long slow run: 14, 15.5, 17....? I like the sound of a long taper, I am keen to start the flm as fresh a possible.

Fraternally yours

Howard
  • Options
    After my long run on Sunday I've got a flippin blister!!

Help (minor problem to my previous injury)!!
  • Options
    Whats this cold bath thingy, are you mad, I am running 4-5 times a week and don,t do the cold bath thing, would it make me faster? or just blue-er, bear in mind that I am scottish and already have pale green skin.
  • Options
    Hi Helen,

20 minutes in a cold bath submerged to your waist after a long run run works! If you can run a warm shower over your head for a minute why you get in and don't put your toes in the water. After 5 minutes your body gets used to it.

I've had two recently after 2.5 hour runs and although it seems mental I woke up the following day a lot less stiff. You get the lactic acid out of your legs a lot quicker.

PS If it work's for Paula Ratcliffe then it's fine by me!
  • Options
    JuddermanJudderman ✭✭✭
    Helen
    I started doing the cold bath thing - sitting very still for 15-20 minutes after my long run. Don't know whether it worked or not but i was still getting the odd niggle so i knocked it on the head. Subsequently did long runs of 12, 13 & 15 miles with nice warm bath and no ill effects!
    Having said that did 18 on Sunday, got big pains in my soleus/achilles interface (physio) and haven't run since :-(
    physio has just given me all clear to easy run tonight and Liverpool Half on Sunday. You don't know how relieved i am!!
  • Options
    ahhhh Higo a convert if ever I saw one ;-))
  • Options
    18 miles today in cold wind and rain...............2.54..............can you hear the cold bath runnning Natnif??

Target now 4.15 who knows on the day. I get to a stage about 14 miles where I can't run any slower or faster it's shall we say a plod!

• Options
    Hi all,

I too haven't posted for a while.

(((((hugs)))))) for those who have had to pull out. You've done the right thing. I ignored a niggle last year to my peril, still ran London and ended up having 8 weeks off and loads of pain and physio.

I'm still not quite sure i can go sub 4. The training plan is so different from last year.

I did a 20 last weekend and the whole aim was to finish feeling strong. I was under strict instructions to stick to 10 min miles. I did a bit od a negative split and did the second half a bit faster finishing in 3.15.

I did the same race last year and had to literally drag myself the last couple of miles. This time i upped the pace towards the end and finished feeling strong which has to be a good sign.

What it doesn't tell me is if i can hold a faster pace for 26.2 miles. I'm just gonna have to see what happens on the day.
  • Options
    ....errr, Runner's World training newsletter (Wk11) is telling me how amazing I am now that I'm planning to do my third three hour run! Is this really part of the 4hr training plan? My longest run to date has been just under 17 miles in 2hr 40mins. I'm a marathon newbie - should I really have been putting in a few extra miles in previous training sessions?
  • Options
    Hi everyone,
    Hope you don't mind if I join this thread at a late stage?

I'm hoping for a sub 4 hr FLM. Last weekend I did a 20 mile race in 2hrs 55. I'm pleased with that and hope I can manage to sustain the pace. I struggled the last 2 miles but it is the first time I've run that far.

I'd like some advice on my training plan for my next long runs. Over the next few Sundays I plan to do 20, 22, 19, half marathon, 12 then FLM. I feel fine since last Sunday's race and have been out this week and done 5.5 speedwork, 10 and 6. Someone advised me at my club last night I should only do 13 miles this weekend but as you can see I've pencilled in a 20 miler. What are other sub 4 hr people doing and could anyone advise me what would be best for me?

Many thanks, hope everyone else's training is going well :)
  • Options
    Hi all,

have being reading the thread for a while and decided to join you all though as this is my first marathon really don't know if sub-4 is just wishful thinking.

dazza b - just to reassure you, I've done similar to you - no 3 hour runs but did 18 last weekend in 2.45, which resulted in me coming down with a heavy cold this week. Felt very frustrated but been out for short 4 miles today and feel okay.

Was planning to do 20 mile race on Sunday but as I still feel under the weather think I'll probably opt out and just do a long training run. So far have done half marathon, 14 miles, 16 miles and 18 miles.

I think now that the day's getting nearer I'm feeling more and more nervous and doubts are starting to creep in. Particularly have I done enough long runs. I now think that realistically I'm probably only going to be able to get one 20 miler in before FLM. Is this enough?
  • Options
    Hi Little Les and GRTN,

Les, this is my first marathon but my remaining long runs are planned like this:

18 done today (going away for the week-end)
    20 20/03
    22 27/03
    17 03/04
    12 10/04
    26.2! 17/04

I'm expert though! Also it's always seems to be the last two miles that I get really knackered whether I've done 14 16 or 18.

G-o-t-R,

the RW schedule does say 13 this weekend 18 next and 20 the week after, however I've done 18 today because I've missed most of Jan due to injury and want to do as many long runs before the big day.

I felt nervous and doubtful before I did 16 but now I'm almost convinced I've done 18 and will do the 20 and 22 quite comfortable that it will be OK on the day. I'm not getting worked up over my time anymore-getting round and enjoying it.
  • Options
    G-O-N-R
    Sorry just checked the RW 19 next 22 weekafter on the sub 4 schedule.
  • Options
    Les,

I meant to say I'm not an expert!
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Can anyone advise me on my target time? My long distance runs seem to differ enormously - I would really love to complete in 4 hours and to date my times have been:
    Today - PB 13 miler 1:47
    Last Sunday - 3 laps of Richmond Park - SLOW!!
    (not to mention extreme pain)
    Sunday before - 17 miles: 2:37
    Sunday before - 14 mile race: 2 hours

I was originally down for 4.30 but want to push myself. Just Kingston to go next weekend and then one last long run. Is 4 hours realistic??
  • Options
    I am also new to the forum and to be honest not even running FLM...but I am running the Santiago marathon the week before so i dip in and out of here for a wee nosey to see how others are training.

Little les...looking at your schedule i think that your greatest problem could be turning up at the start line on the wrong week (i am sure you have too many runs there for london)
  • Options
    CBPT

There is a race time predictor somewhere on this site....enter your times and distances and it will estimate a marathon time
  • Options
    Thanks, its v helpful. Will be more precise i think once ive done my last two long runs to imput. How is everyone else getting on with long runs/half marathons this weekend?
  • Options
    I did 18 miles today (2hrs 36 mins)but found it a nightmare in the wind rain/sleet and snow. I was down at the beach for a mile or so and at one stage wasn't sure if I was moving forward or not...then it took me a couple of miles to thaw out again. planning 21.5 next Saturday then taper......