Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Lee

Comments

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    If you suffer from Runners trots in any way caffeine held are probably not a good idea.
  • Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    Hi Lee, you missed a good hard session tonight. Single laps up the estate. All worked hard with some good mini competitions going on. Piers
  • Options

Chaps, thanks for the caffine info, must try it on the next long run, including tapering.

I am now in Saudi, hence the lack of communication, only just got a connection! 

Shame I missed the session Piers but it was for a good reason, I went out and did my long run Fri morning, and it was epic...I ran along the top of the spectacular north downs, using the wayfarers walk for most of the Combe Gibbet course, it is drying nicely so could be flats by the 1st Apr for a fast race, shame I am missing it (only downside of the marathon).  I got to the 3mile mark, 12.6miles in for me as I was running it the wrong way, before turning for home.  I took the disused railway rather than the 2.5miles up laddle hill again as I was now hitting the fast part of the run from 15-20miles, 5miles less than 7's, they went like this 6:29, 6:27, 6:25, 6:23, 6:09, the first four were slightly uphill and very muddy the last was flat on a made path so was much easier.  However I got lost, as I ran past my exit off the railway line and nearly ended up in Newbury, so I actually completed 26.24miles in 3:09 (faster than my last London marathon!) over muddy monster hills, the first half into a stiff breeze, excellent fun and good for the confidence.

I urge everyone that can to run "the Gibbet" it is amazing in so many ways, you won't regret it. (www.overtonharriers.org.uk) said crying into my coffee image as I won't be there.

I then jumped on a night flight to Saudi, then a day of work so knackered but managed 10km in 39min on the treddie.  Hard session tonight again on the treddie as we are experiencing a sandstorm, not ideal running conditions!

How did everyone elses long run go?

Ruth, the gels worked well 3 gels at 9(should of been 8 but was day dreaming), 16 (proved I can run at MP and take a gel) & 22miles, how was your race today?

Happy Mothers Day to all you Mums out there!

• Options
    A marathon in marathon training! Glad to hear it was a confidence builder, hope it doesn't take too much out of you.

Now, are you calling me a chap Choisty? I take offence. Again. You wouldn't be the first to assume it though. Perhaps I should change my avatar...
  • Options
    CC2, it doesn't seem to of taken too much out of me, as my legs stil feel fresh, also I completed another good session today 1mile w-up, 3miles at MP, 1mile easy, 3miles half pace, with 1mile w-down and it felt good despite what feels similar to cement on my lungs due to all the dust in air, plus EVERYWHERE else.  I use chaps generically so wasn't making assumptions but now you point it out I would of assumed wrongly!
  • Options

Choisty wrote (see)

Chaps, thanks for the caffine info, must try it on the next long run, including tapering.

I am now in Saudi, hence the lack of communication, only just got a connection! 

Shame I missed the session Piers but it was for a good reason, I went out and did my long run Fri morning, and it was epic...I ran along the top of the spectacular north downs, using the wayfarers walk for most of the Combe Gibbet course, it is drying nicely so could be flats by the 1st Apr for a fast race, shame I am missing it (only downside of the marathon).  I got to the 3mile mark, 12.6miles in for me as I was running it the wrong way, before turning for home.  I took the disused railway rather than the 2.5miles up laddle hill again as I was now hitting the fast part of the run from 15-20miles, 5miles less than 7's, they went like this 6:29, 6:27, 6:25, 6:23, 6:09, the first four were slightly uphill and very muddy the last was flat on a made path so was much easier.  However I got lost, as I ran past my exit off the railway line and nearly ended up in Newbury, so I actually completed 26.24miles in 3:09 (faster than my last London marathon!) over muddy monster hills, the first half into a stiff breeze, excellent fun and good for the confidence.

I urge everyone that can to run "the Gibbet" it is amazing in so many ways, you won't regret it. (www.overtonharriers.org.uk) said crying into my coffee image as I won't be there.

I then jumped on a night flight to Saudi, then a day of work so knackered but managed 10km in 39min on the treddie.  Hard session tonight again on the treddie as we are experiencing a sandstorm, not ideal running conditions!

How did everyone elses long run go?

Ruth, the gels worked well 3 gels at 9(should of been 8 but was day dreaming), 16 (proved I can run at MP and take a gel) & 22miles, how was your race today?

Happy Mothers Day to all you Mums out there!

Lee, think carefully about starting to caffeine at this stage as you need to make usre this will have no bad effects on your race and you have little time left to practise this.

Do you feel your nutrition for the lead up to Paris and day of race is now planned and practiced as best you can (if going to use caffeine need to start using this now!)?

Race for me this weekend was very disappointing,  got lost a couple of km before the end  (it was dark!) so dropped from 2nd women to 4th but hey I ran near 10miles instead of 9mile so that has to be good for training!

Thanks for mothers day message!

• Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    Ah caffeine, my favourite subject! I am a big caffeine fiend ordinarily, so I tolerate it well. I don't get any stomach issues from it, even in monster quantities, and it doesn't give me the jitters. However it also doesn't really have a huge effect on me. Unless.... in the week running up to a target race I cut down on caffeine dramatically for the first half of the week until I'm having none at all on the Friday and Saturday. Then Sunday morning comes and it's coffee time! Plus a Lucozade Caffeine Boost en route to the start line. Or at least it was, I gather they've stopped making it so I'll have to move on to the High 5 Extreme instead. In a full marathon I'll take a caffeinated gel at about 19/20 miles just for the extra kick. Always, always, always try it in training first. If you're sensitive to caffeine the deplete and load could go horribly wrong!

Totally agree, abstain if going to use  for performacne gains but if any risk of caffeine  ruining your race don't use it!

• Options
    Choisty - you sound right on track for a great race in Paris - when do you start your taper?
  • Options
    Probably bit too far but good if it hasn't taken too much out of you and good if it has given you confidence. Very impressive splits so far into run. I did 20 today and was really struggling to even get below 9s on last few miles.
  • Options

Steve, not too much out of me as I feel in good shape, although a 20hr work day yesterday and the same today will have fatigued again!  The last couple of miles were the best bit striding out feeling good not being able to control my exhuberance and running 6:4x for the last mile, cracking.

Ruth, I drink loads of caffine all the time, or else I would fall asleep, I must atest to arabic coffee being fantastic especially Dr. Cafe.  Shame about the race but all the best runners get lost!!!

• Options
    Good looks like you are coming back to form again. Be careful and prepared to ease back the pace and effort if you are working long hours - best to do slower runs now than go over the top and have no control on what pace you do run later in week or month and will be good to run a quick 10k at weekend
  • Options
    Hey Choisty, just popping in to say I hope things are going well mate. All the best. Westie @runningbug.
  • Options
    Yesterday's session was the hardest yet even though it was on the treadmill. The aircon was on but not effective it was very hot, still better than a sandstorm!
    It went like this 1mile warm up, no strides as on the treddie, then 3k at MP, 2 x 1mile at half pace, 3 x 1k at 10k pace all with slow 400m jogs between, then 4 x 400m at 5k pace with 200m recoveries and 5x fast for 200m with 100m recoveries and to finish a 2 mile warm down. All went well except the treddie went haywire on the last 10k pace rep meaning I had to redo it, so a of 11miles complete quite well, but treadmills are tedious.

Hi website good to see you training is good at the moment. How about you?
  • Options
    Looks like you did  a good session - did you record the paces exact? - I have never been able to do a session like that on a treadmill (or indeed even a fraction of that) without getting totally bored but I suppose better than running in a sandstorm.
  • Options
    Steve, you are right boring but better than a sandstorm and 30 oC! The paces were
    MP 6:10
    Half 5:45
    10k 5:35
    5k 5:25
    Flat out 20kph the treadmill max! Or 4:50
    Slow 7:45

It was interesting as a Dutch fella got on the treadmill next to me during the warm up and set his just faster then I upped it to MP so he did the same and very nearly fell off before giving up and going back to an easy pace!
  • Options

Lee: at least he has fighting spirit!

Make sure you keep on top of hydration, AC will also dehydrate you. Also you may find carbs needs increase  in hot climates so pay atttention to your body. Caffeine; I was meaning if you have not used this in a race try this before. Nothing new on race day other than the roads beneath you and sky above you ....

• Options

First time in a while I've been on your thread... looks like you're flying!! Keep it up mate!

• Options
    Great speeds. Agree hydration really important in hot climate or gymwell done - just as he well he stayed on treadmill or he would have been a flying Dutchman
  • Options
    I replied last night and it didn't come up most odd.

Steve LOL, like that.

Ruth, hydration has been an issue with working so much and hot conditions, but I am getting back on top off it now, although am still a little arid

Simon, good to see you back, how are things going?
  • Options

Good luck for 10k - stay controlled on first half

• Options
    Eastliegh 10k went to plan today and ended up about par. First half in 18 mins then back in 17:15 to finish with 35:17 officially. Not bad but a fast course and loads of PB's around, would of liked to one of them, still congratulations to James, Sean, Robin, Neil, John, Martin, Kerri and Lucy great running. I missed a bit mentally to really kick on and get sub-35 but I am saving that for the 15th. Managed the mileage either end and continue to feel very strong. Also did a sport relief mile on the way home which was fun and added another couple of miles.

How was everyone else's racing?
  • Options
    I will also claim that I'm saving myself for the big day (though actually that's a lie!). I suffered after 8 miles in my HM, didn't take on enough fluid due to not being able to drink out of plastic cups on the move, and also seemed to run short on energy. Perhaps I should have had breakfast a little later - I finished it over 3 hours before the race. I wilted somewhat to trail over the line in 1.28.09.
  • Options

Well run Lee

A good time considering the high mileage & glad to see things are going well. Will be interesting to see how many PBs you re-write after your marathon. Great list of club PB's as well (adds Steve Edwards to list). Sorry to say I didn't make it.

Finished work at 6am & was like a zombie, only 1 day off work in the last 20 has taken its toll. Think London is going to be a struggle now but at least I've got a couple of 3 hour runs under my belt.

Looking forward to the Gibbet race (number 34) and hoping the weather holds so we have a fast course.

• Options
    Choisty - great running - good luck tapering down now to Paris - exciting eh? 
  • Options

Very solid run Lee and excellent second 5km which shows the strength is there.

Well run cc2 - good work in the conditions and it's two minutes quicker than you managed last Spring and I think you are still well on course for a marathon PB if conditions are good.

I didn't race as was supporting my club's women in South of England 6 stage Relay championships and they were surprise third behind two very strong Aldershot teams and their best ever result so pleased with that - managed a solid 22 on Saturday in warm conditions.

• Options

CC - that is still excellent running and I know a lot of good runner that would bit your arm off for that time.

Oscarr - exciting and just a bit scary!

Steve - Excellent running by the ladies, the AFD teams are always v. strong.  I caught and passed one of your club mates in the second half, giving me soemthing to aim at.

Franny - shame you weren't there but the teams were very strong with 7 runners under 38mins, 5 years ago that would of won the club champs!

• Options

Yes the clubmate you overtook  tends to go out quick and is trying to get back to his sub-34 form of a few years ago

Hope the legs feel good today.

• Options
    Steve, I feel cracking, no ill effects from yesterday, if anything I feel fresh...but I suppose if I haven't run 20+ miles at the weekend it's light training!  I reckon I could knock out another 10k today, but will save that for 800's tomorrow, one of my favourite sessions, which I will have to find a track to run it on.
  • Options

Lee - You do need to be organised with fluid i.e have it on hand . Due to all the travelling you do I would tend to buy  some comerial sports drink sachets of rehydration powders and add one of these to some water on a long haul  flight (so say 750-1000ml of a rehydration drink and then you can just drink water / other fluid on top of this) then as soon as you are off a flight have another one and perhaps 1-2 a day when working in hot weather or if not keen to do this add a flavour to your drink that you enjoy  to encourage  you to drink more (a no added sugar squash/cordial). Drinking is habitual so you do need to try and get in the habit.

Well done yesterday.  

• Options
    Ruth, thank you, I will also book aisle seats!