Options

Just a little bit further 2012

Comments

• Options

Got out there for a 6.40km.  Probably my toughest run so far, but also one of my most enjoyable - raining, cold, bright yellow running jacket, splashing through puddles getting my feet soaking wet - and not giving a damn!

• Options

RR - 6.4K is good too, everything is relative to what each one of us can do individually within our own limits, whatever they are for each of us individually. 

spinning on the same day as turbo wasn't perhaps a great idea but managed it although my quads were screaming at me towards the end of the spinning session!

• Options

Absolutely. 

It wasn't the distance that made it tough, more the conditions - I usually avoid going out if it's cold and raining, but that's what I bought the jacket for.  Now, if I'd remembered my gloves, then I wouldn't have been cold at all: my hands were the only part of me that was cold!image

About a week back, I tried going for a run straight after HIIT.  It didn't really work: my legs were almost completely gone by around seventeen minutes!  From now on, those two get done on separate days!!

• Options

I haven't done any HIIT sessions - although they offer them at my gym. Are they good?

• Options

Well, you're dripping with sweat after only ten minutes or so.image

I do HIIT on my exercise bike:

5 mins warmup, then 8 second all out sprints with 12 second recovery, for fifteen minutes or so, then another 5 minute cooldown.  It's a programme I found on the 'net somewhere - they put some guys on it for twelve weeks. 

I can't rememer the exact figures, but I think they lost up to four pounds stomach fat and gained up to two and a half pounds of muscle on their legs and abdomen.  As we all know, you can't 'spot reduce' fat, so the four pounds must have been from all over their bodies, but still to lose four pounds of fat isn't bad going.  image

There are loads of them, with different intervals and recovery times and a lot can be done on an exercise bike. image

It's even better if they offer them at your gym. image

Apparently:

The major reason HIIT works so well for dropping body fat is due to the greater calorie burn (or EPOC—excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) that’s maintained after the workout is over. In other words, you burn more calories and more body fat while you’re sitting around doing nothing. In addition to this increase in resting metabolism, HIIT is effective at enhancing the mechanisms in muscle cells that promote fat burning and blunt fat storage.

• Options

Hi all!

RR - Gosh - I'm tired just reading that!

Chili - Well done on your 12 miles. That's 12 miles more than me - cycling or otherwise.

MC - well done on your training session.

Franny - 7 miles in an hour!  You are back in brilliant form.

Ecky - Have fun at your party tonight and well done for helping out on Christmas Day.

Hi to everybody else!

Well I had 2 presentations today and they went really well.  One more on Friday afternoon.

I slept better last night but still not the same as usual.  It's amazing how one tablet completely messed me up.  I've decided to give myself another try without them until I'm desperate. Maybe the vitamin B tablets will help a bit.

Anyway, I'm off for a cuppa.....image I lurve tea sooo much.

• Options

Jude - glad to hear the presentations went wellimage

RR - the science behind exercise is really interesting and I think for each person they really have to decide what they are training for. I know that for myself, because I want to do longer events (half ironman triathlons and eventually manage a marathon without injury scuppering my attempts) I need to focus on moderate intensity longer sessions. Though that isn't to say the occassional interval session/hill session isn't also beneficial. 

I hate tea but love coffee. Can't tolerate much caffeine though so have to have decaf most of the time

• Options

RR - as MC says we are all at different places working towards different goals and your 'little bit further' is just as important. 

I am starting from the beginning with my bike fitness which is completely different to running fitness or swimming. I can run 12 miles easier than I can bike it at the moment! And swimming a mile is easy. But I can only manage 5 proper push ups and still can't do one proper pull up image.

Jude - take care of yourself hun.

• Options

Yeah, I know; I guess I just get a bit frustrated every now and then because before the knee problem last year, I could do 15km.  I know I'll get there again eventually though.image

• Options

Well, if the world ends tomorrow, just want to say it's been nice knowing you all!

xxx

• Options

morning

very wet. It is my birthday and had planned an early run, but the sound of the rain against the window put me off! will go this evening even if it is at the gym on the treadmill

• Options
    Happy birthday mc!!! Sorry I am not posting much but as I said I dnt have laptop back yet. Miss llb is poorly with cough and I'm a big rough too. Pants. Am trying to keep up with all your news on here but it's hard to read on phone. Hate nog being able to add my silliness to the thread. Lol . Am keeping in touch wth by eck and my sis via text, hope everyone ready for Xmas , I'm nearly there wth presents etc . Will be a different chain of events this year , here for Xmas eve , I'm working Xmas eve , boo, here then to my mum and dads Xmas day, my beloved to mine Boxing Day and then I'm back to work boooooo . Well imay go and try to wrap more prezzies today. Chili, hope your laptop stays working!
  • Options

Morning,

Happy Birthday MC have a greeat day. image

LLB-I am missing your wild behaviour- hope you get laptop back soon. 

Jude-Pleased you slept better.

RR-Well done on your 6.4 miles in the rain.

Haven't run since Tuesday as I couldn't face going out in the dark and torrential rain this morning so an hour on the Wii fit instead. 

• Options

Afternoon

It'ss horrible out there torrential rain and v strong winds.

MC...Happy Birthday...hope you get spoiled rotten by your boys.

Loula...sis hope you and wee missy feel better soon....Oooooo you being santas lil helper...image

AF...Don't blame you for not going out running...I went to gym instead and did a tready run.

Been to my mums in Dunbar...the walk along the beach was interesting..very windy..sea v choppy and rough....was refreshing LOL

Jude..glad you slpet better.

Hope everyone has had a good day in this horrible weather.

Am away to be santas lil helper too...prezzy wrapping here I come image

• Options
    Oh and AF I usually have brekky about 45 mins before going out on long runs and make sure my fluid levels are topped up adequately much like before a race.
  • Options

Jude Yazicilar wrote (see)

Well, if the world ends tomorrow, just want to say it's been nice knowing you all!

xxx

I saw a documentary about the Mayans, and apparently, it's all about 'Cycles'.  The first cycle started with the Gods holding a council and making Man from Mud.  Not surprisingly, that didn't succeed, so they wiped the world out and embarked on Cycle Two - Man of Wood.  They couldn't walk too well, so wipe away and start Cycle Three... can't remember what that was, but if that's the tosh that the Mayans believed in... I have no idea why some people have been getting in such a tizzy about the whole thing!!

I mean, I get the whole 'believing in a God' idea, but that's the most nonsensical thing I've ever heard.

At the same time, I reckon there could be some odd people out and about tomorrow if you know what I mean... hopefully no one will actually cause any trouble, or it'll be the end of the world for them, when the police throw them in jail...

• Options
    Mr by eck has a chest infection image

My brother got engaged yesterday image

The shopping for crac towers Christmas dinner is all done image

Moo isn't sleeping properly again image

I have some amazing friends here image

Its MC's bbirthday and here is cake image
  • Options
    mathschick wrote (see)

morning

very wet. It is my birthday and had planned an early run, but the sound of the rain against the window put me off! will go this evening even if it is at the gym on the treadmill

Happy Birthday, MC! image  Running in the pouring rain isn't exactly what you want to do on your birthday, is it?image  Enjoy your gym session.  Just HIIT for me today - that's enough for a day, trust me.image

• Options

Happy Birthday to yooooooo Happy Birthday to yooooooo Happy Birthday dear Mathschick, now can I have cake, pleeeeeeease image

Hope everyone is okay. running club for me later. Last one for 2012.

• Options

Hi all!

Happy Birthday MC! Hope you are having a super day.image

We have snow! And weather forecast says there is more to come so we may have a white Christmas.image

• Options

thanks everyone

there is no cake hereimage

sorry to hear that mr by eck is ill and that moo still isn't sleeping, lovely news about your brother though

enjoyed the Hobbit, but the kids were not very well behaved which is a shame - nothing major, just lots of talking and getting up to go and chat in the loo a lot! 

• Options

nice to hear you have snow Jude, but I hate snow - cold and slippery stuff

RR - I don't normally mind the rain, but it sounded so heavy this morning I just didn't fancy it. Did get to the gym after work though and did a 5k run/walk on the tready

• Options

And now for something completely different.  Just been listening to some Hildegard von Bingen.  WoW! I'm sure it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I think it's gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quMgY08jDf4&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9BnHOYOh5490nMu60kWrME

• Options

Or how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

OK, obviously I'm chilling out tonight!! lol.

• Options

MC - Why no cake? Will you have some tomorrow at school as usual?

By'eck - Lovely news about your brother.  Have they set a date? Will the wedding be in England? Sorry Moo isn't sleeping again.

• Options

Evening!

Happy Birthday MC image Sending hugs and somer chocolate brownies I've just made.

Jude - my hubby likes Hildegard von Bingen. I think that two of you would love talking music.

Byeck - great news on the good bits. Sorry to hear the rough bits.

Loula - hope your weekend and Christmas week goes well.

Can't stay because my laptop stopped working again and Mr Chili has very lovingly been working on it most of the day for me. But it means I'm sooooo far behind on all the work I needed to do before the kdis break up tomorrow at 1.30pm image Am feeling very distressed and got a cold so can't breathe. Didn't go swimming, hubby had car so couldn't do pilates.

Bye for now....

• Options

Oh Chili! Hope you can catch up with all your work and feel better soon.

I'm off to bed....but will leave you with this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR3D2bDOJI0&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Don't usually listen to jazz, but this singer is great and I used to know the pianist, many years ago....

• Options

morning

love all the music links - I like a very diverse range of music and loved listening to all of those.

hopefully there will be cake at school todayimage

• Options

Morning,

Jude-Will listen to that Hildegard von Birgen clip in a minute. I was reading somwhere that that bit of music is the oldest known musical manuscript (if that makes sense!). I love exploring music and have discovered Beth Hart through this thread (thanks MC).

Much nicer day so club run this morning shortish one as I have to get to the office for a colleagues retirement lunch.

Bye for now....