Options

RW Forum Six 4.30

Comments

• Options
    Then I would say drink water and take a gel every 5-6 miles. Why - because we know it works for you and we know there is plenty of water available at VLM.

I only drink water personally. All races have water and I can't be bothered with carrying my own sports drinks. Carrying a few gels is easy though.

Flo Po - race pace run tommorrow? Marathon race pace? How far? Warmup? Why? Are you following a schedule? Etc.....
  • Options

Sort of a mix of plans as doing club sessions Tues and Thurs. This week it is a One mile warm 5 tempo then 1 mile warm down.

On your suggestion I am going to run the 5 at 9.50 pace which is my half pace for Sunday...image

• Options
    Sounds good Flo Po. image
  • Options
    Have a good run flo po. I should be doing a club run today and long run tomorrow. Not sure how to pace the run yet image
  • Options
    The club run or the long run?
  • Options
    I think it will be a treadmill run today instead of club so it will be at whatever pace I can manage
  • Options

Thanks you too PM...

Thanks Spoons.

My last night shift tonight so relieved as it is hard on the body...Did manage to get some sleep today had some beans on toast to fuel up for later.image

• Options
    Feeling a little less than motivated, but have got my running stuff on at least and about start. image
  • Options
    Just did half an hour on the treadmill, was feeling a bit below par, but fine now, used the time to plan tomorrows long run. image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    PM I find it really hard to get motivated to go on the treadmill but it's never as bad as I think it's going to be. Good for mental strength so they say .....
  • Options

Well done on your treadmill run PM... can you run during the day tomorrow?

My 7 worked out to be 6.25 had a really good run tonight. 5 miles of it was suposed to be a 9.50 pace but all I can say is that the 6.25 was an average of 9.45.

I forgot to put the mile split back on the garmin after the intervals on Tuesday...I know the middle bit must have been a bit too fast but felt comfortable and could only go on effort as the Garmin wasn't telling me the lap pace.image

It was freezing but once warmed up it was great. Last night shift tonight.image

I am going swimming tomorrow!

Good luck with your long one tomorrow PMimage

• Options
    Nice run Flo Po. Are you feeling confident for the half now?

PM - we all have CNBA days. Especially on the treadmill. Time to move on. How was the run? Pace and distance?

Is it 14 miles slowly tomorrow?
  • Options
    Yes flo po I can run about 2pm tomorrow, and out with the girls from running club for a meal tomorrow night!image

Well done on your run, that sounds like a fab pace. image you must be ready for your race on sunday image

Minni the treadmill is awful but if I didn't have it I suppose I would miss it.
  • Options

PM, Flo Po and Spoons - just wanted to pop in and say thank you for this thread - I am following it with great interest and enjoyment;  I have a place in VLM, deferred from last year and as the training and miles increase so do the doubts, sharing your thoughts, positive and negative, is really helping me.

Good luck with your long run tomorrow PM, I hope the weather is kind.  My long run day is Saturday and I'm hoping the snow holds off.

Soooz

• Options

Yay running in the afternoon then a meal out you can feel all virtuous as you stuff your faceimage

Spoons/Pm I was very happy with my run but usually my training doesn't always show in my races as I get very stressed irrational I know...image

Soooz good luck with your run on Saturday hope the weather holds off. Have you run a marathon before?

I am also a bit worried about snow for Sunday.

• Options
    Hello soooz welcome to the thread image

Flo so, I can feel the pressure during races, sometimes I have dropped back when I have found myself next to a runner who I think is faster than me just because I have worried that I would not keep up later, if that makes sense. Not very good at race strategy image

Spoons I was just feeling shattered last night, had a hard week at work and did just under 3 miles on the treadmill in 30 mins. Have slept well now and ready for a slow 14 later image
  • Options
    Soooz how long is your long run going to be?

We have heavy snow forecast here for tomorrow, hope it's gone by sunday image
  • Options
    Hi Soooz and welcome image as Flo Po says - is this your first marathon?

Flo Po - lots get stressed at races. Do lots of them. They get easier image

PM - we all get tired sometimes. Well done for getting it done. Good luck for your slow 14.

I like running in the snow. Off road is the answer image
  • Options

PM i do exactly the same in a race stay behind peeps for ages thinking If I overtake then they will only pass me later when I blow up.

Spoons I do loads of races and still get silly the only time I seem to do better is during the marathon training as I see them more as training runs and that seems to make it easier...

Finished my nights so only had about 3 hours then had to get up so I sleep tonight. Been swimming then it will be a sofa day for me.

Slow 3 tomorrow then weather permitting half on Sunday...Have a nice weekend everyone and hope your long run went ok Pm good luck with yours Soooze!

Hope you have a good weekend Spoons...image

• Options

My long run on Saturday is 15.

Flo Po - I have done Edinburgh twice, 2009 and 2010, both exceptionally warm years, just over 5 hours the first time and 4:53 (?) the second time.  I only started running 4 years ago - a bit of a later starter.

I got a ballot place for VLM 2011, but had to defer through ill-health.

I'm hoping for a 10:30 min mile average marathon.  I'm still not confident that I'm going to get there though, which is why I have found you sharing your training highs and lows so helpful.

I haven't booked any races between now and VLM - I can get quite stressed out so if there aren't lots of portaloos, then I won't enter!  Strangely, I was fine in both marathons, but I did a half where there were none (except for the start and finish) and had to beg a publican to open up his pub so I could use the facilities (which he very kindly did!).

I am fitting in four runs a week at the moment and one gym cross training.  I'm a little worried about not being able to train because of snow - the gym I belong to is 25 minutes drive away, and if the weather's bad I won't be able to get there either.  I work full time, so three of the runs are evenings after work and I try to include speed, hills and/or tempo, although I think I give up a little too easily when I find it hard work!

Happy running weekend to you all - snow should hold off here until Sunday .....image

Soooz

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Soooz I did Edinburgh in 2009 too and you're right it was baking hot.  London has a tendency to be hot too but nothing like Edinburgh.
  • Options
    Hi image

Well my 14 turned into 14.75 as I got lost! The Garmin seems to be struggling to upload ...again! so I will put the splits up as soon as it does.

I was nice and warm in the sun for the first half of it but then the sun dropped and it just got colder and colder, by mile 10 my teeth were cold and by mile 12 my hair was too!

I took along a gel and promised it myself as a treat at mile 9, all but about 4 miles was along the canal, a different one from last weekend and I had not a lot of idea were I was going, coming back I didn't leave the canal at the same place that I got on which is why I got lost I actually had to stop and ask directions.

I will get told off for the first mile and maybe one or two of the others but Garmin appears to be frozen at the moment while trying to upload so will report back when I can.

I think the average pace was about 11:03 image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Rock on Pottermiss!  image   I can back up what you say about it getting so cold when the sun went down.  I had to put on my gloves for the last couple of miles this afternoon.
  • Options

Well done Pottermiss enjoy your evening out you deserve it great runningimage

Soooze we seem to be at the same sort of level I have been running 3.5 years a late starter and also deferred  from last year. My first and only being VLM2010 in a time of 4.57.

To be honest I would be really happy with a 4.45 time but will do my best to train for 4.30 and hope it pays off.

• Options
    PM - well done girl! image how did you feel towards the end? Were you slowing down and feeling like death or were you eager to do a bit more?

I'm always getting lost and accidentally adding a bit btw image

Sooz - hills, tempo, long run, speed and the gym. Sounds perfect image

Very cold here too. I took my gloves off for a bit but they soon went back on again.
  • Options
    Just adding the splits, I am trying a little more detail as I had a couple of stops (talking to people, asking directions) which affected the split times.

I know I am going to get told off for the first mile, but I didn't realise I was going so fast until I checked my pace near the end of the mile, it felt really easy, probably because I had had two easy days previously.

Here goes, hope it comes out all right....

Split Time Moving Time Distance Elevation Gain Avg Moving Pace
    1 09:19.4 09:19 1 0 14 09:19 09:19
    2 10:54.8 10:23 1 70 38 10:55 10:23
    3 10:52.9 10:38 1 0 101 10:53 10:38
    4 11:01.3 10:55 1 0 3 11:01 10:55
    5 10:25.8 10:18 1 0 16 10:26 10:18
    6 10:44.9 10:44 1 0 6 10:45 10:44
    7 11:16.4 11:09 1 0 7 11:16 11:09
    8 12:22.2 10:47 1 6 0 12:22 10:47
    9 10:43.5 10:38 1 6 0 10:43 10:38
    10 11:32.2 11:32 1 8 0 11:32 11:32
    11 11:14.9 10:55 1 9 0 11:15 10:55
    12 11:03.3 11:05 1 37 0 11:03 11:05
    13 12:03.5 11:03 1 20 7 12:04 11:03
    14 11:08.4 11:04 1 33 12 11:08 11:04
    15 08:22.0 07:56 0.76 25 18 11:02 10:28
    Summary 43:05.4 38:26.0 14.76 213 223 11:03 10:44
  • Options
    ooops, the headings are all over the place..

1st column is lap time, then moving time, distance etc, I might try and do it as a picture..
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Pottermiss why don't you set your garmin to auto lap do it will stop if you stop.
  • Options

Spoons - I felt ok suprisingly, actually better than the 12 last week, except perhaps for the extra bit which I hadn't bargined for.

I stopped chatting to a canal man in mile 8, he wanted to tell me about the Sandstone trail which I crossed at one point. In Mile 13 asking directions was my my downfall.