Options

RW Forum Six 4.30

Comments

• Options
    Spoons. wrote (see)
    ..... As well as a few others image

Hope you are not going to be a bad influence on me Spoons....

Mud may take a little getting used to, it was slippy and I was trying not  to fall in canal, good excuse for new trainers? image

• Options
    Falling in the canal is not good. Be careful. I don't want to get the blame for your drowning!!!
  • Options
    And do as I say. Not as I do. I'm rubbish at training sensibly!!!!!! image
  • Options

Well done pottermiss nice running.......image what have you got in store for next week?

I may be up to 5 miles tempo but your half P.B is way faster than mine....

• Options
    Don't worry Spoons, if I drown I won't blame you image

This week Flo Po is a bit of a change round as I rather stupidly entered a 5 mile race, (was feeling a bit like I would never return to fitness after injury in October/November so I wanted something to aim for).

So it will be
    Tuesday: Speed work 800m repeats.
    Wednesday: 5 or 6 easy
    Thursday: Club run 4 miles
    Friday: Long Run (how long Spoons? I was thinking of switching round this weeks 14 with next weeks 10, but I may be playing about with the schedule too much all for the sake of a race that I probably shouldn't have entered image )
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday Race

I think Spoons will soon be along to tell me what I will really be doing image
  • Options
    I would still do the 14 miles PM. You'll have Saturday as a rest day before the race. Do a warmup before the race to loosen up the legs and you'll be good to go.
  • Options

Busy week PM

I entered a few races myself not really to race them but because I have a defered place I wasn't sure I would have someone to train with so entered them for the company on the long runs...

With my shifts I usually have to change things around quite a bit. Next Sunday I will have to do the half then have to do my long run probably on the Friday night as 12 hour day shifts over the weekend don't give me any time to run.

Enjoy your rest today PM I am heading out soon to do my 5 mile easy.....it will be promise..

• Options
    Flo Po - are you saying you're doing a long run on Friday evening, then a half marathon on Sunday? How long is the long run?
  • Options
    I think Flo Po is saying that the half marathon is on the Sunday and the long run the following Friday.

Nice rest day over here today, I have a little bit of tenderness on the inside of my left ankle so a rest is good! image Just a niggle though nothing too ouchy!

If it is icy tomorrow night it will be treadmill training again image Still cannot complain about this winter so far.

Hope your legs are recovered Spoons,

Flo Po - a nice easy run??
  • Options
    Aah yes that makes more sense!

Rest up well PM and be recovered for tomorrow. Treadmills are good for intervals and hills. Bit boring though.

If you are on the treadmill what would you do?

My legs are fine now thanks. Did a recovery jog yesterday afternoon and today plus some yoga. All good to go again! image
  • Options
    If it's the treadmill I will try and make it the same session, just have to watch going off the back on the speedy bits image
  • Options

PM you were right half on Sunday then long run the following Friday.

Good that you had a rest day if your ankle is a bit tender. Seems to be a lot of illness about and every time someone sneezes near me paranoia sets in...

My slow 5 tonight ended up being 5.7 and average pace was 10.32 so not quite the 11 but getting better. To be honest the average was probably slower as we regrouped twice and garmin was on auto pause.

You would have been proud of me with my 11.43,11.04 then it all got a bit quicker but I am trying.

Good luck if you end up on the dreadmill tomorrow...image

By the way got some sleep today yay...

• Options
    Flo po, it is just so hard to keep telling yourself to slow down especially if it feels slower than natural.

It was minus 4 when I went to bed but now only zero so fingers crossed for later, I don't mind the cold just don't like icy patches when it's dark, I don't think it goes with speed work image still I know I can replicate it on the treadmill and it stops mr pm saying I don't use it image
  • Options
    Lovely sunny day here image

Just a thought. I know you love your speedwork now but don't neglect your hills..... image
  • Options

Hills who mentioned hills.....image

PM I too don't mind the cold as I get warm very quickly but as you say icy is different..

Weather good here too...

I keep thinking about getting a tready but there seems to be so much choice that I can't make up my mind and don't want to get a crappy one.

• Options
    Hills are good for you Flo Po image
  • Options

If you say soimage

London is flat tho innit...

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Yes London is flat!  Forget the hills - they're killers! image  Sorry Spoons! image
  • Options
    My new best friend Minniimage
  • Options
    Doesn't matter. Hills make you stronger. Hills make the flat seem easy.

London is flat though.
  • Options
    Have done repeats 800 x 6 full report in the morning but feeling quite good image
  • Options

Sounds like you had a good session look forward to the report.

My 10x400 only ended up 8x400 but you would both be proud the warm up and warm down miles were over 11 mmimage

I only did 8 because it was late and I needed to get ready for work.

800's were probably done too slow but they were fairly consistent without being all out.

• Options
    Morning! image

Yes the session went well .... I think.

Just trying to get the Garmin to upload the data now, it wouldn't play ball last night.

It was cold but not icy at all so off I went! The wind was freezing though.

Only one lady came with me for the 800s last night, but at least I wasn't on my own, she is naturally a faster runner than me and took great delight in running ahead singing the theme tune to Rocky while trying to make me go faster!

Had a Bra Strap disaster - twice! As my sports bra decided to dis-assemble during the run. Lap 9 was an over long recovery as we tried to fix it back together, and in the very last 800 it happened again but I decided to leave it and wobble rather lop sidedly.

The last lap is slower - this was a deliberate decision as we had done the 5 and thought we would just do one more but steady (and I had the bra strap problem going on).

Here are the laps - Total miles 5.23, first and last are suitably slow. I forgot to stop the Garmin at the end of the session so the summary will not be accurate as it includes my 6 mile drive home image
    (I am only posting the actual run bit).

Split
    Time
    Distance
    Avg Pace
    Summary 1:50:53.0 12.28 9:02
    1 11:15.5 1.00 11:16
    2 4:23.0 0.50 8:49
    3 1:01.3 0.06 16:26
    4 4:18.0 0.50 8:39
    5 2:11.8 0.06 35:21
    6 4:06.6 0.50 8:16
    7 1:27.3 0.06 23:24
    8 4:19.1 0.50 8:41
    9 3:31.6 0.06 56:46
    10 4:11.6 0.50 8:26
    11 1:17.6 0.06 20:49
    12 4:23.1 0.47 9:21
    13 :01.8 0.00 27:32
    14 11:41.4 1.00 11:42

Hope it makes sense! Some recoveries were under 2 minutes and as I said lap 9 was longer to sort out clothing 'issues' image

• Options
    Good running Flo Po!

I am doing hills next week on Tuesday!image
  • Options
    Flo Po, I was quite lucky to get a reasonable treadmill 2nd hand of the work noticeboard, I got it about a year ago in the bad weather last winter and paid £300 for a treadmill that cost about £900 new. The only worry was transporting it and then trying to get it through the door was a very tight squeeze!
  • Options
    Flo Po - I wouldn't be overly concerned about the pace. Consistency is key which you did. I would aim for 2:05 per rep next time.

PM - Well done. I secretly hoped you would be around 4:15 and you were! image

I won't comment on bra straps.......

Well done both of you. Looking good image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Excellent reps going on here. image   image
  • Options

Well done PM a good session you obviously pushed a bit harder than me but having bottled out of any form of speed work for ages just getting back into it! 

Thanks Spoons and Minni I did suspect that I should have been around the 2 min mark and will go for that next time. Always feel a bit rough on the night shifts that’s my excuse anyway...

Looking forward to my race pace run tomorrow night to see if I can do a consistent pace. 

• Options
    Thanks image I was quite pleased with the session. My pace still seems to be a bit up and down and last night it seemed to take ages to get warmed up.
    Running around a housing estate doesn't really help with keeping it consistent as you never know what's around the next corner and a dog walker or someone putting out a wheelie bin can interfere, which reminds me that I did grind to a halt in the very first rep when someone was walking a very large and hungry looking dog!

Anyway have just done an easy 4 miles, it felt like just enough and I managed to squeeze it in without losing too much time off work. Average pace: 10:43. (No clothing issues image ).

Flo Po - I am new to speedwork too, only very occasionally took part in a club session probably this time last year but nothing regular at all.
  • Options
    Spoons, what do you think about drinking etc on the long run, so far I have just taken water. I have used gels in previous marathons and get on with them so long as they are taken at least 5 miles apart otherwise I can get stitch.