Options

BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Lyndyk wrote (see)

As you can see I'm kind of addicted image My plan is to run 50 marathons, in 50 different places, before I'm 50!

Have fun training image

What a plan you are clearly unhinged however I am massivle jealous and i would love to try this but just running tow a year has put my marriage under considerable strain! With that many maras you must be aiming for a conservative pace for each otherwise your legs will drop off

• Options

Hey Blockbuster - great to hear from you again. Hope we do get a chance to meet up in Berlin. I'm still intending on going given that everything is already paid for. Don't let the training put your marriage under strain though. Just remind your missus how awesomely fit you are and that you now have the body of an Adonis and the stamina of a ... well, you fill in the gaps!

Andy - no problem to share your good news on the same occasion as my bad news. I don't resent anybody or anything. I've already done 10 marathons and 3 of them sub3. Some people in life never have the health/ opportunity/ discipline to run one. So I consider myself fortunate already. The future has no guarantees and we can only make life better from the position we find ourselves in. Today it looks a bit bleak for me but 'tmrw' could be different. Who knows? Delighted you are back on the road to recovery. Go steady on the build up - the tendons have probably softened a fair amount and they take longer to go hard than it does for muscle to regrow.

KW - my route to treatment is via the Sports Clinic at a university hospital here in Belgium. The associated surgeon is quite used to dealing with (as they are called here) 'top-sporters'. My sport doc is a sub 3 marathoner himself, same age as me. They know what running means and have the skills I need from them. I'm confident I'm getting the best help possible.

Tim - you just have to get someone to pick the race stuff up by proxy. I think as long as a person has a copy of your entry confirmation letter and ID, it's sufficient. I did this last year just in case my flight was delayed. My running partner's father picked up 4 different numbers in one go. Maybe someone here on the thread can help out.

• Options

I've been running them in around 4:30 at the moment, will try to do Berlin in 4:15 and then stick with 4:30ish probably until Copenhagen next year.

Because it's so cold in Denmark I like to try and get away a couple times during the winter and think it's great to run a marathon at the same time image I get very grumpy in the cold weather so I think my husband sees it as a positive thing to send me off to enjoy the sun and have a marathon high at the same time image

TK - I'm also happy to help if I can. It all depends on where your hotel is like Blockbuster says.

I love the idea of getting free energy samples! I'm hoping it's Powerade though as I train with that already...

• Options

Powerade is the best i find most drinks mixes too sweet (Lucozade is just awful!) but I was fine with basica so should be ok LD! I contacted Basica via web contact and got about 12 sachets within a week!

http://basica.de/en/contact

• Options

Hi all,

I see I am coming to this thread rather late (well 13 pages late) but I am running the Berlin marathon too! Very excited! First marathon and not sure yet whether it will be my only one (Running does not come naturally but I do enjoy challenging myself). Wanted to do it before my 30th Birthday which is next year and the furthest I have run is 9 miles so far. I need to get my ass in gear! 20 weeks to go! Yeeks!

Just started taking Herbalife recovery protein powder shakes my PT mate got for me. I'll let you know how they work out. http://products.herbalife.co.uk/energy-and-fitness/rebuild-endurance Anyone have any experience with them?

Glad to hear Berlin is so flat (partly why I chose it). 

Looking forward to getting my subscription so I can sort myself out with a highly detailed training schedule. 

When I have a spare 2 hours I will read this thread fully and get all the tips you guys have given. Look forward to running with you all in September. TD- I hope you are well and I look forward to you cheering us all on!

Danni x

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Well i have finally been out. Its amazing how quick your fitness drops off after a period of inactivity image. Did my usual calm 5 miler with one decent hill in it and i was knackered. The calf felt good but the surrounding areas of the leg (the sides and front) where really sore, hopefully this will go with time. The leg did feel really weak though, no power in it, but the doc did say i have lost a lot of size in the bad leg compared to the other one. Still I got out and got back in one piece - although it was uncomfortable. Will try again tomorrow and build up slowly - onwards to Berlin.

• Options

DG2 hey running your first marathon you are guaranteed a PB! Berlin is a good course for your first too. Never taken protein supplements but after a long run I have fried eggs on toast, yum!

• Options

Ooh, lots of activity. Hello everyone!

TD, so sorry to hear your bad news, what a blow. I hope you'll get some better news soon.

And well done on your first run back AndyC, you'll soon be flying along again.

I did a nice 5 miler last night exploring a footpath I'd not been along before. I don't think it will become a regular route though - lots of stinging nettles meant I ended up doing a sort of 'high-knees drill' along it for a while! And then I mis-judged jumping over a stile and ended up on the floor! Fortunately no-one around to see me.

• Options

Andy, your tear sounds serious and i'm amazed you were able to run with it for so many weeks. I couldn't and it kept recuring for 2-3months until it finally settled 2 months ago.

So after next week we enter the 18-week window towards 9/30. Hope everyone is either nicely building up your base, or for those celebrating Spring Mara success, hungrily looking forward to get cracking again.

• Options

Goodness me. 4 new messages posted as i was writing my last post(that's how slow i write).

Andy, good to hear your 'test' run went well. I often got into trouble doing too much too soon after calf injury. 

I did my first LT run today in 5 months after nagging calf issue. 13k with 5 at LT pace and on TM to minimise impact. Went ok. So hoping to start injecting some faster (well, less slow) pace running from now.  

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

HellsBells - problem was i couldn't really run with it in training- come the two marathons its amazing what Painkillers and adrenaline can do to get you through. it was quite a shock when the doc showed me where the tear was and there was a big 'dip' in the muscle tissue - that and now TD makes you realise how lucky we are to be able to get out running when we want - i will never look at a cold wet day again and decided to chicken out, I just thank "the maker" I can run again. I do have to admit though that i am still running with a limp, think it is just in my head and i am thinking about the leg so much, any twinge is like 'What was that!!!!!'

just going to spend two weeks re-building fitness and leg strength then my 18 week plan can start - Advanced marathoning 55-70 miles per week plan. 

• Options

Hey Blockbuster,

My boyfriend who is a bit of a fitness dude doesn't agree with the whole protein shake idea. He is all about the glass of milk and a handful of nuts within 15 mins of a proper gym session/ run. 

I am quite concerned with all this chat of people getting muscle/ ligament tears and rips (ouch!) etc. Run safe people!

I'm staying in the Plus Berlin hostel: http://www.plushostels.com/plusberlin My mate who ran it last year recommended it as it had a great vibe and swimming pool! Not bad for a hostel! If anyone else is staying there it would be good to say hi so we can meet up and chat before the big day, maybe even catch the bus there in the morning...?

• Options

Hi all,

Many thanks for the info re: my problem with number collection, and especially to those kindly offering to help out with collecting the number (that's very generous of you to offer to help out a complete stranger).

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express City Centre which hopefully by the name means that it is pretty central!, but will firstly try to see over the next few weeks if I can either find another runner staying in my hotel or if someone I know is also doing the run.  My brother is doing it but he'll be sat beside me on the plane so won't be much help!. 

If I find I'm struggling to find either someone I know or someone in my hotel who can help out first, then I will ask again here to see if one of you kind folks are able to help.  I would of course make my way across to whichever hotel in Berlin to pick up the numbers, and be happy to buy a beer for the person helping out (or Sports drinks for those with a healthier pre-race routine! image).  Anyway, will write again if I'm really struggling.  Thanks once again for the offers of help.

Happy training all, and best wishes for a speedy recovery to those currently nursing injuries.  This will be my second marathon having done Edinburgh last year.  Got round that in 4:12, was comfortably on for a sub 4 then a classic wall hit at 21 miles.  Am sure I can get around in sub 4hrs this time ....(although that's what I thought then too!!)

• Options

DG2 - apart from what's branded on the side of a carton, I can't see the difference between a protein shake and milk with nuts. It's no biggie. The primary need for the body after a hard session is carbs. There is some scientific evidence to say up to 20% of the intake can be as protein but the results are varied. Some studies show greater recovery with protein, others show no evidence of benefit. But carbs always accelerate and improve recovery.

Andy - fab you got out on a test run. I f my experience can help you appreciate training more, then I pleased about that. Right now I'd settle for walking fast but I'm hobbling about and I've had my dog bump into my knee a couple of times and I'm just falling to the ground. Feel like such a woosie. Not much fun. Am so eager to have this op so I can get on with trying to find a way back to fitness. Even if that is unlikely to mean such focused or dedicated running in future.

Assee - enjoy those LT runs but do try to ease into them. The first couple maybe shouldn't be as fast as your goal pace, just so the muscles and tendons can toughen up a bit in preparation for going even faster.

image - mis-jumping the stile sounds like great fun. Glad you got away with it image

• Options

Did my first proper run since Manchester tonight, 15 miles around Lyme Park nothing mad but still don't feel 100%.

I'm down for the 3 Peaks in a couple of weeks(part of a team) god knows how I will get round.

I'll follow the P & D schedule again 18 week 80 mile but I might have to tweak it a little.

Off on the family holiday in early June so I'll start it when I get back, I think I've got enough miles in the bank.

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i'm back!! did a five mile run again with two decent hills in, took it really easy for the first mile then went for a strong finish for the last two miles. Again the only problem was from the sides on my leg but that stared to fade. Think i have got to around 70% already - it seems to be coming back quickly. will go for it now at manchester on sunday.

• Options

DG-being your first mara, are you using any of the training programs popular among first-timer? if not, you might want to look into this.

TD-wise reminder on easing into LT/speed session. Am going to keep to low end of pace/HR range for first few runs.

Andy, You're back, with a vengence. Sounds like Happy Days.  image

Jonah, so many holidays yet a good hour faster than folks like me. How do you spell 'fairness'?

• Options
    Hi All, how's all the training going? Only managed 8 miles this morning whereas I set out for 12. Ran hard on a 10K race on Thursday and don't think the legs were fully recovered. Got another 10 this Thursday, any tips on what sessions I should do his week building up to Thursday? Hope everyone's had a good week of training
  • Options

Jeez TD, it's going from bad to worse! Here's to hoping things go well on June 15th, makes me feel a bit bad about getting frustrated that I'm not back up to speed a fortnight after a marathon.  Puts it into perspective.  I'll be thinking of you on 15th June, we've done a few similar marathons and ended up on the same threads, you're really inspirational in how you've progressed through hard work.  I really do hope things work out.

That's good news Andy, the patience has paid off!  How did Manchester go today?

Danielle I just drink chocolate milkshake after a long run (2 hours plus) anything less I'll just have a banana and water as post-run fuel.

Hellsbells I enjoy runs like that, did one last weekend.  Ended up a bit disorientated but found my way home!  No nettles or stiles on this route but I did end up in a 6 inch deep bog on another run last week after hopping over a stile. Thankfully I landed on my feet image

Sounds like you've well and truly caught the bug Lyndyk!

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

felt really good in Manchester today - very little trouble with the leg but i could tell the fitness was off - did a 42m03s - was cruising early but it was too busy to get a clean race - despite being in the first wave there were people walking after 2k!!! not sure how the set the waves but had people with all color numbers in my orange zone. Still, nice to be back - rest tomorrow and slowly build up later for the Berlin training plan next week.

• Options
    Can't believe it is 25 years since we did this race. We did it on our honeymoon and this September we are celebrating our silver wedding. Would love to have gone back and done it this year but hubby couldnt get the time off work.
  • Options

Speedy G this is definitely the first time any romance has made an appearance on a RW forum i've been on (apart from that time I got some advice on rub downs but i dont want to talk about that...). It would have been great if you could have run it on your silver jubilee. The Berlin Wall was still up then? Now the mara runs thru east and west.

• Options

Blockbuster, I've been on the Paris Marathon forum this year - 2 guys who met at the RW meet-up after the Paris marathon in (I think) 2009 recently posted they are getting married. So, there's romance out there... even on RW!

I just wish I could get out for a run again!

• Options

First track session since M/cr , 12 x 400m, note a bad session didn't go too mad just in case my hamstring starts again.

Going to up the mileage now and start my plan mid July

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

I have started to increase my mileage too. 11 yesterday and 7.5 this evening. Both runs felt like a slog though. I do hope my speed (relative) has not been broken by my marathon efforts. 

Still I am obviously not put off because I have been having a sneaky look at Amsterdam/Venice/Frankfurt marathons in late October and early November. Not sure I will be allowed though.

• Options

KW-are you looking at dam etc as a follow-on race after Berlin, or instead of?

last week was 35miles for me. Hoping to get close to 38 or so this week, with an 'MP'-like run although I've not figured out what's going to be my goal MP yet.

LM-are you not able to run now?  

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

Follow on of course! image Berlin will be a pb effort for me whereas any follow on marathons would be just for the sake of it/weekend away. Not sure Mrs KW will sanction such acts of selfishness though.

• Options

Andy I watched some of the Manchester 10K coverage on Sunday, looked packed in some bits! There must have been alot of different wave starts, at 11:30am folks were still waiting to cross the start line?

Speedy G what a cool way to celebrate your honeymoon 25 years ago!! I've been banned from organising our honeymoon next year around any marathons (he's a runner too, I don't see what the problem is....)

KW do it if you're allowed, have you not already done Amsterdam? Does your wife run too? There's always the 8K / HM option at Amsterdam she could do?  Venice sounds good, might be a bit twisty turny avoiding all those canals but guaranteed to be nice and flat.

• Options

I can strongly recommend Amsterdam, I ran it in October, definite PB course. Maybe not the big event feel as its quite a small number of runners.

Anyone running BUPA 10K in London on Sunday? This will be three in a row i only run one 10k and one 5k race a year the rest are all maras/halfs but want to beat 47m13 aiming for 46m but expect to be puking up my lungs at 4 miles in and suffering a painful last 2 miles!

Jonah what do you do each rep in when you do 12x400?

• Options

Blockbuster - I kept them all around 1.20 on Monday.

When I start my speed work for a marathon, the last few weeks of my plan I normally keep them as close to 1.30 as possible.

Out again later for a run in the hills.