Options

BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Hi Guys, the expo was open on the Saturday last year as I collected mine on the Friday and went down on the Saturday with my mate to collect his
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    TD - fingers crossed for you. Hope it all works out fella.
  • Options
    I've only been trying to get my user validated for the last year! Finally on. I just completed the Greater Manchester Marathon and my next one is Berlin.

Hello to you all. Good to finally be joining you.
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Wilkommen BIgChief! How did you find the GM Marathon? Good to see you completed it in the conditions!
  • Options
    Thanks Johnas. I actually really enjoyed it and got a PB (3:28). The baggage area was shocking but I'm sure they will deal with it for next time.

The PB has given me quite a lot of hope for Berlin because it was the first time I've got the carb-loading part of the preparation right. Now I know what I'm doing 3:15 seems possible.
  • Options
    I hadn't realised it possible to get the carb loading bit wrong, I just eat silly amounts the night before, but then I eat silly amounts anway hence weighing in at over 16 stone image
  • Options
    I seem to have singularly failed until Manchester! I think I have a stomach the size of a walnut.
  • Options
    About the same as my bladder then BigChief! image
  • Options

TD-really wish you sort your knee out without needing surgery, and be in top form to streak down Berlin. And yes, rest vs recovery run, i'll see how to fit them in. At 55 and only returned to running 2+yrs ago, my recovery rate is still slow.

On PD/JD, one difference i'm puzzled with is that PD started LT runs from early phase through to 8 weeks before race, then switch to VO2Max. Whereas JD is exact opposite, starting with VO2Max(I-pace) first, then switch to T-pace later. Can anyone comment on this or have I read wrongly?

QR-27miles/wk training and clock 3:46!! Hats off to you.

BigChief-welcome and congrats for the PB.

• Options

Greetings from Northern Ireland!

Interloped on here as I'm trying to cheer myself up from my niggling hamstring injury by contemplating Berlin 2013!

Any advice on how/when to register would be welcome! Any feel for the chances of a place for a first-time marathoner?

• Options

Back to track tomorrow for my first run since Manchester, still feel knackered though, London and Manchester seemed a good idea at the time

For the last few marathons I've done I've used P&D 18 week up to 80 mile a week, followed it closely, the only difference was my mid week run which I turned into a tempo run.

Everything is booked but not heard anything from them, is that the norm ??

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Alwyn there is no lottery for the Berlin Marathon. I think it fills up within bout a week or so though so you need to apply promptly when it opens for applications.
  • Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Jonah you did London and Manchester? Remind me of your times. I did London and I am doing the Marathon of the North on Sunday. I did London in 3:07 and felt relatively comfortable. I have got no idea how to approach the second one. (It's a charity venture).

I've been averaging about 50 miles per week prior to tapering. After London I took 3 days of complete rest and then did about 18 miles during the rest of the week. This week I will probably do about 20 -24 prior to Sunday's race.

I would be interested to know how you approached the second race and how you found the mental side of it.
  • Options
    I don't think it fills that fast but it is first come first served.

Yeah increasing the milage will be harder. I need to start doing some speed work for this marathon as well as did very very little on the beginners programme for Manchester.

I'm enjoying the enforced time off at the moment, will be raring to start training for this in June
  • Options

KW- London 2.50  Manchester 2.56

I did one track session inbetween a couple of 400's just to get the legs moving.

Manchester was a strange race went into it planning on a sub 3.30, running with some mates, then a mate of mine aked me if I would pace him for his first sub 3 attempt, seeing as the weather was so bad I helped him out.

Got to halfway way in 1.26 and decided to carry on.

Gout attack last night, both ankles, always get one after a marathon.

Checked the race list yesterday for Berlin, I'm on it.

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    Great running Jonah.
    At London I ran 26.7 averaging 7:01 min miles. I'm toting with the idea of trying the same pace but trying to stick to the traditional 26.2 which would bring me under 3:05.
    Might all be pie in the sky though. My legs might feel dead after 10 miles but it's interesting to note the similarity in time of your second run considering the horrific weather.
  • Options

Assee - I don't recall that Jack Daniels put any running plans in his book "Running Formula".....? but I could easily be wrong about that. One of my concerns about the P&D approach with their so-called "Meso-cycles" is that I remain unconvinced about the possibility of putting off high speed running (they call VO2Max efforts) until the 3rd cycle (i.e. 8 weeks to go). My PERSONAL view is that such running should be a part of your running on a consistent basis.

So in that sense, I would agree to include in training from the beginning. It's just a personal opinion though. I can't back that up.

Alwyn - I think that when you apply for Berlin, there is aperiod of about 4-6 weeks when all the palces get snapped up. So it's easy to get into. But when the palces are gone, they are gone. The Sept. 2012 race is full. I seem to recall that it was around November time when you could apply for the following year. And as a first timer to marathons, I'd suggest you might be comfortable to get off the mark with a smaller race as the first one is a shock to the system and a little bit daunting.

The Berlin mara is a bit special and you may want to remember a little bit more of it...?!

• Options

I think the entries for Berlin opened up by the end of October last year and were sold out on the 9th December I think according to the website, so as long as you get in there early the job is a good one image

I had only planned on ever doing Berlin myself but ended up sticking in Manchester as I had the time to train 16 weeks for it when I did decide to get out and do my first run. Good luck with the training!

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies - will keep an eye on the Berlin website/this forum from October onwards! Wishing you all injury-free training and good health ahead of this year's event!!
  • Options

Alwyn - if you fancy doing something this autumn, i can highly recommend the Amsterdam marathon. It's still possible to get a place for that even now.

• Options

TD-It's in the last chapter(20), where there is a Marathon Training Program which prescribes 2 key workouts by week through various phases. (Mine is second edition). I think it will be of interest to you.

• Options
    TD - my soon-to-be-married friends are still dilly-dallying about autumn wedding date. If I can't do Berlin I'll go for Amsterdam. (It was my first but I enjoyed Berlin MUCH more.) Do you have any idea when it fills up? Not sure if I should just get a place as a fallback now...

(The only issue would be transferring to the frankly nutty Amsterdam thread!)

Iain
  • Options

Hello!

I'm doing this one so going to butt in image

Copenhagen first, in 2 weeks

Hope training going well for one and all.

M

• Options
    Hope Copenhagen goes well for you too Mabel.

Welcome!
  • Options

Welcome Mabel. Good luck to Copenhagen. Would be nice to hear how the race goes and the course in general.

• Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

I did the Marathon of the North today. Finished in 3:09. Two weeks after doing London in 3:07. I found this second one very tough indeed. It was described as predominanttly flat, hmmmmmmmmm rolling is what I would call it. Having said that it was very well organised and there was a real spirit of camaraderie amongst the runners. Crowd support was sparse but it's a new event and many of the good people of Sunderland hadn't quite woken up yet. Well done Steve Cram on organinsing this, I am sure the feedback will be positive and it deserves to be.

Plan is to rest now and then bring on Berlin where I will not be doing back to back marathons.

• Options

Thx for the welcomes! Ran a 16 today...feeling shattered. Looking forward to taper now.

Will let you know how Copenhagen goes.

Well done for today KW, great time! image

M

• Options
    KW - congrats on such an excellent time in the Marathon of the North!

I work in Sunderland and if there's one thing the area needs, it's health promotion. The 10k last year was ace, I may consider the marathon in 2013...

Iain
  • Options
    PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

Iain the route was varied to say the least. Starting at the Stadium we soon meandered into the outer suburbs of Sunderland through some pretty desolate areas. No crowd support in these areas as you get the impression that to the peopple in these areas runners are some freak like creatures deserving of ridicule, certainly nobody was up and those who were were trundling off to the corner shop in their pj's. 

Course moved out to a coastal stretch which was enjoyable because the weather was very kind, bright sunshine, cool temperatures and pleseant breeze. Back then through some more residential suberbs and by this point some supporters were gathering and offering encouragement.

The run meandered through a couple of pleseant parks and by this point the field was very stretched so I was suffering the 'am I going the right way' anxiety. 

back through the city centre, a punishing hill, Stadium in sight but cruely we turn away from this and its back up the coast for a punishing out an back section where you see the long climb you have to do after the turn around point. 

Some kind Marshal told us we were in about 50th position by this point which was encouraging. The long climb reduced a number ahead of me to a shuffle and cramp induced walks so with gritted teeth I managed to make the climbs albeit at a rapidly declining pace, back into the city and on to the Stadium. 

Probably the 'hardest' marathon I have done and I was really very glad to see the finish, I was definitely running on empty. 

It was a well organised race though and a credit to Steve Crma and his team.

• Options

KW - I suspected there wouldn't be London-like crowds lining the roads but that sounds like an incredible effort. Sunderland has lovely parts - the parks and coastal areas were a real surprise to me - but in reality, a lot of it is fairly grim.

Hopefully it will catch on so that the 10k/marathon day can stand alongside the private healthcare-sponsored jamboree further up north...