Options

Fatman to Ironman

Comments

• Options

Trying not to wibble. Heard ladies from 2 lanes better than me at the club swim session worrying about completing an olympic distance swim.

Must learn to not let others concerns put me off. Big hairy goals are where it's at!

• Options

IY, still in Fink base here too, but learning very quickly that real life intrudes.  Sticking to it where I can, but adapting where I can't.

• Options

I was very anal during my first IM prep about making sure I did every training session.  In the run up to number two I realized that missing a day because of a rain storm or just needing a mental health day wasn't the end of the world.  Not that I'd recommend missing a full week or something like that but missing a couple days a month isn't going to derail the ultimate goal of that shiny medal.

• Options

Ali - don't worry, it isn't about how quick you are just about being able to keep going, so the fact that they are 2 lanes up from you has no bearing. Maybe they have never entered any kind of event before so the fact that they are doing an event is big enough to make them worry!

• Options

Ali - what MC said. Our fastest guys often do 4km in their hour's set. They'd wibble when faced with a 3.8km swim followed by the B/R!

DTT - again, what IY said. I was fairly anal, but learnt to swap sessions around. For the first 10 weeks I swam on a Mon to give me a lie in Tue morning, It got easier when lighter out. I'd often be found at a hotel breakfast Tuesday AM with Fink working out my real week on a napkin.

I reckon it's about doing what you can in the week, then hitting the bike bike/run mileage on the weekend. The week bike/run is more about ticking over than quality.

• Options

It dosent matter how quick you are. I'm a plodder & proud image

However, just smashed my park run PB to bits which feels good. This week i've knocked off 58 seconds. Thats about 90 seconds off in two weeks.

23.08 is my new time.

Either all the training is paying off or i just wasnt trying hard enough before

• Options
    SausageDog wrote (see)

It dosent matter how quick you are. I'm a plodder & proud image

However, just smashed my park run PB to bits which feels good. This week i've knocked off 58 seconds. Thats about 90 seconds off in two weeks.

23.08 is my new time.

Either all the training is paying off or i just wasnt trying hard enough before

w00p w00p imageimage That's great SD. Have you had more rest this week? Or did you just run for fun today?Or go all out?

• Options

SD, Bolt should be worried!  Great running.

Good to have some chat on here about relaxing a wee bit over sticking to the plan.  As the other members of Team Meldy will testify, I've been having a wibbly week because I've had to juggle sessions and not been able to do as much as I'd planned.  A little reassurance goes a long way image

• Options

SD - great running, that is not plodder speed though

masters swim session was great, and they thought I was good enough to join. I was in the slow lane with 2 women who have been going for 10 years!  I almost kept up with them. I am going to try to do 2 sessions a week with them, and the tri club swim too. Should make a big difference. Only trouble is, the sessions would be masters on Sat and Mon and tri club on Sun - not quite split up enough but never mind!

• Options
    This part of team Meldy is fuelling and layering for a 3hr bike ride

Oh what fun!!

and I'll still have to make my own feckin dinner when I come back, the cat is useless (no, not that one)
  • Options

oh, and apparently there are a couple of people at the swim club who hope to qualify for Kona, and lots of friendly older women (ie around my age)image

• Options

this part of Team Meldy has just done a turbo session - funny how it's much more enjoable when you've got a film to watch (MIB3) ?image  now it's shower/eat/shop/get mum from the station and watch rugby til we go out for a beer and skittles night (party on!)

swimmin' and a cyclin' tomorrow

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
     the cat is useless (no, not that one)

Not entirely untrue though! image

• Options

Thanks. Love getting PB's. Just had a decent bike as well. 1 hr 50 mins. av 15mph. (good for me) Average would have ben a lot more, but trying to cycle across Norwich kills your time. Especially when Norwich are playing at home as well.

Didnt really plan anything Cat, felt a bit the same as last week. Really couldnt be bothered to go, had to force myself.

Whole run just felt more relaxed. Not had any extra rest. My training time is increasing over the weeks though.

I imagine i'll hit a plateau (not sure how to spell that) again and be stuck around 24 mins for a few months.

My normal longer distance pace is around 10 min/ miles. Hopefully these once a week faster sessions will have a knock on effect and improve that too.

• Options

Hour on the turbo last night.  Just done a 95 min brick, 1hr05 on the bike, 30 min run. 
    All felt really good, and even managed a few shots on the aero bars.  I'll have to work on my transition times tho'.  I came into the house and stood in front of the TV for 5 minutes, making doubly sure I was seeing the score properly image

• Options
    I have to do 90mins on the turbo today... So far managed to avoid it, off to give myself a good talking to!
  • Options

Couldn't face another Turbo session today so went out for a 3 hour ride - thought it was a good idea until it started snowing! Feet have just about thawed out now!

• Options

3.16 for me .. the slowest bike I have done for a long time ... due only I think to the fact that I lost all sensation in my feet and it was decidedly miserable. But its done and I have had dinner and now I have coffee and chocolate   image

• Options

I actually had to get off and walk 5 mins home just to get the blood flowing to my toes as I couldnt bare it any longer!

• Options
    Well done guys, now on the turbo

Did think of putting cider in the bottle but decided against it...
  • Options

with my track record of falling off the turbo going anywhere near it with alcohol would be a recipe for disaster!!

• Options

SD, great running mate!  I'm off to recce the Blaenavon Tri bike route tomorrow.

• Options

Great job SD! I thought you were some fat chain smoking bloke? image

Just did 6.46 miles in an hour on a hotel dreadmill.  Kiddo's ice hockey team lost 1-0 in their first game.  It's competitive so no guarantees on playing time so my kid is pretty upset that she didn't get to play much.  She's the youngest on the team, though.  Not sure how to handle it to be honest. 

• Options
    Have fun Tim.

IY- Big her up for actually making it onto the team. That must be an achievement. Respect to anyone playing ice hockey as well. Pretty rough from what ive seen.

My daughters in a cross country comp representing her Army Cadet troop tomorrow. Weather is going to make that interesting.
  • Options
    Finished my turbo session, went for a sprint finish and got up to 65.5 km/h... Managed to avoid a heart attack and then had 15 min cool down

Overall 52km covered

Great running SD, best of luck to your daughter tomorrow
  • Options
    Thanks Gas.

No snow but lots of rain here. Need to go out for my run but obviously its more important to he on the Internet typing rubbish image

Motivation required please
  • Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    SausageDog wrote (see)

Need to go out for my run but obviously its more important to be on the Internet typing rubbish image 

How very true!!!!image

• Options

SD - if you haven't gone yet, get off here and go! 

• Options

Done. 1hr 15mins

Now Arleyas turn, while i'm wearing a big warm coat and drinking tea image