Options

Fatman to Ironman

Comments

• Options

Andy, been to the physio about those shins?

Good NEWT swim tonight.  Finished our sets early so added in some more.

• Options
    Weights and easy 50 lengths FC for me tonight, rest day tomorrow and then run Thursday, another double session on Friday .... I wonder when I'll start to lose the lard?
  • Options

Gas, my weight's staying steady at 12st-ish, but I am eating more cos of the training.  Few lbs of cake to lose from my gut.

Told by coach last night that I'm 'unconsciously incompetent' when it comes to swimming.  He mentioned the 4 stages of learning: unconsciously incompetent, conciously incompetent, consciously competent, unconsciously competent.  I think I'm more into the second stage, really, cos I know I'm still doing things wrong.

• Options
    SausageDog wrote (see)
    Shins hurt though image

Foam roll your calves

• Options

Returned from physio yesterday with my hamstring injury.  Turns out the issue was with my lower back which was very tight and therefore causing problems in the hamstring.

Great news in that there is no injury image but battered and bruised from the physio's elbow.  I'll have my back loosened up now as part of my monthly sports massage.

• Options

Great swim this morning. 2.5km in 53 minutes so 1 minute quicker. I'm now comfortable with bi-latteral breathing and am now focusing on the hand entering the water bit of the stroke. I seem to be getting there and making less of a big splash....

• Options
    Good swimming, Spoons. My 2.5 km took considerably longer, but session went well - psyching myself up for the 3km jump next week ...
  • Options

Crap day of training but I guess that's relative.  2500 meters swimming in 1:01 and a 4.1 mile run in about 40 minutes.  Felt slow and sluggish. Probably should have eaten something after the swim as I guess it was near 2 hours of training.  But to put it in perspective, that swim translates to my IM time from last year and it is only February.

• Options

1hr swim for me ... bit of drills and a bit of zombie swimming to finish it off

I have no doubt it was about 5k   image

• Options

So then, Almost 3 months to the day of my ankle operation, the Physio and Surgeon have given me the all clear to resume "normal" running training.  Naturally I'm dead chuffed and celebrated with a 30 min jog at lunchtime.

Onwards!

• Options

You take it easy there Donkey ... thats a long session after a 3 month break

• Options
    Not been to physio, cant afford that luxury image

Spoons, yep, i use the foam roller daily, great bit of kit.

Great result on the swimming spoons. Be looking at the bilatteral breathing myself now.

I'm definitely getting faster, added an extra 2 lengths to my hourly session tonight. 88x25m in 59:56.

Did an hour run before that. image

Hour on the roller now whilst watching the cycling
  • Options

Meldy - actually mine was 6km

• Options
    Thanks Meldy. I've been on a "back to running" programme for the last month or so which has seen me up the time spent on the feet so to speak.

Thankfully we have a Physio on site at work and I've also got access to a fully sprung gymnastics floor to saunter across which has greatly reduced the stress on the ankle during the rehab.

I consider myself very lucky with having such access to healthcare, an awesome Physio and a sprung floor to run across.
  • Options

Donkey it sounds as if you are in perfect hands .. sorry its a pet soapbox moment for me image

Spoons .. being in a dinghy doesnt count

• Options
    No worries Meldy. Appreciate the concern image
  • Options

I'm gonna swim 10k tomorrow Spoons ... you IS HISTORY   image

Donkey .. what was in the plan?  Out of interest

• Options
    Melds does hers on a submersible broom stick thoughimage
  • Options
    You lot are making me feel I'm missing tri training. I'm almost inspired enough to swim tomorrow image

Well done guys! Top training.
  • Options

almost .. Hope   image

Sossige you and I need to have words !!!

• Options

SD is a dead dog walking!

Did salute sets at swimming last night, total revelation but very achey arms today. I appear to have been swimming so far without using either my arms or legs, typical for me. Upside it I might actually make the cut offs if I start using them. image

• Options

Meldy – the rehab work for the ankle looked like the following:

(For context, I had a ankle athroscopy towards the middle of November during which I had a few bone spurs and loose bits of bone removed from the joint.)

21st December ’12 – Easy Plyometrics (3 times a day, 7 days a week)

-          Run on the spot x 20 secs into

-          Jumping jacks x 20 secs into

-          Rapid calf raises x 50

-          Swim & Cycle as normal

11th Jan ’13 – Prepration for Running                    

-          Fri 11th: Treadmill / Sprung floor run : 5 x 2 mins at 6 min / km (30 secs recovery)

-          Sat 12th: As above  8 x 2 mins

-          Sun 13th: As above 8 x 2 mins

-          Mon 14th: As above 10 x 2 mins

-          Tue 15th: As above 10 x 2 mins

-          Two days rest

18th Jan ’13 – 11th Feb ’13 – Running Build Phase

-          6 sessions per week Treadmill / Sprung floor (6 min / km)

-          Mon: 5 x 4 mins (30 sec recovery)

-          Tue: 4 x 5 mins

-          Wed: 3 x 7 mins

-          Thur: 2 x 10

-          Fri: 15 min 

-          Sat: 20 min

12th  Feb – 30 min test run (6min / km)

Essentially the plan was to build up the time spent on my feet - slowly slowy does it. 

Seems to have worked a treat.

• Options

Someones turned me into a sausagefrog??

Sorry melds, only joking image

• Options

totally lazy week for me so far. Kids are on half term (I'm not) so Granny Frag is here to help out, and I'm finding it hard to get out to do anything. Have done some turbo-ing, kettlebells class, and the pjysio says I can try and run on the x-trainer and outside  image (though to start with a run-walk programme).  I'm on half term now, so next week when the boys are back at school, it will be a tiring swim/bike/run-walk fest image

and it's No 2 so's birthday today so it's pizza night image

• Options

Donkey .. thanks that seems to follow a similar plan to what I have seen before, just interested   image

Sossige .. I thought you always looked like a frog?  !!

I didnt swim 10k Spoons, I ran instead  image

• Options

fraggle - its reassuring to hear (?) you say that. Its been just the same for me this week. I reckon I have more time for training working full-time than being on holiday!

Never thought I'd say this, but I need work for the structure - image

• Options

Donkey - think I need to copy that plan into word for when my knee starts playing again. Been to a consultant today and being referred for an mri. So it is going to be all about the bike and swim for me for a while longer

half term for me next week, although OH is having the week off too, so I will get time to train, just need to make sure I am not tempted to overdo it!

• Options

Mathschick when I get a second i'll post the one that I use as well .. very similar

• Options

Great swim again tonight.  Feel great improvements.  Over a mile this evening in a series of sets.  

• Options

Nice swimming Tim !