Options

Liverpool Half Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Excellent organisation, only took me 6 mins to get over the start line after the gun went, took much longer last year, the run time pens were a new addition i think and a good one!

Marshalls did a great job as of course did all the volunteers. Im pleased with my result, 1 minute faster than last year haha! Really enjoyed the day!!

• Options

I'm not sure how the Event rating Section works so I've contacted RW and asked. Hopefully should be able to add to the section shortly.

Everyone recovering well??

• Options
    degsy-m-degsy-m- ✭✭✭
    Excellent event once again Alan and your team image love all the btr events I've done. I had no probs going to the toilet 10,mins before the off!!! Wondered what all them people were queuing for!
  • Options

Liverbird recons they were all staying in the toilets to stay out of the cool breeze!!

• Options
    4th time running the event and the best so far, well done Alan! The new start was excellent, felt really well organised and I appreciated the starting pens. PB for me and my sister in law really enjoyed her first half marathon
  • Options

1st time for me yesterday and what a brilliant event I can't find any fault.   Well done Liverpool. 

When does 2014 open? image

• Options

I expect to open entries in the next day or so. Thank you all for the very kind comments.

• Options

Just asked RW about adding LHM to the rating section and as we were not listed in the events section we are unable to. Apparently you have to be listed before you can be rated.

I'll keep this in mind for Port Sunlight 10K / Tunnel 10K events and get them placed in the RW events listings. Then they can be rated. image

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Only possible improvement for me would be flavoured drinks, instead of just water, but I'm being picky. Seemed really well organised, good route, good crowds, really enjoyed the whole thing.

I'm not sure you could have got more portaloos at the start line, I've never seen so many in one place before.

• Options

I have rated it under 2012 section in the hope they will open it up for 2013.

This was my favourite half so far, far better than the GNR!

I loved the route especially Sefton Park and the promenade. Good PB potential, I will definatly make this a regular run

• Options
    My first ever half! And I loved it! Can't wait to do it again image
  • Options
    Superb start & finish compared to last year, my only negative was the lack of communication for the presentation. No one knew where or when it was! Obviously this is only an issue if you win a prize ; )
  • Options
    I loved it and can't wait for next year. Could have maybe done some with extra marshalls at Aigburth Vale due to kamikaze pedestrians, but it's not BTR's problem that some people are morons
  • Options

Another great Liverpool half and my 8th in a row.. Every year I invite more friends to our great city with the offer of a run in the park and to help me raise funds for our projects in Uganda. Three positives 1) The start was better organised and i was impressed it took me only 4mins to get over the start line. 2) The new route impressed most people & we didn't have to do the Princes Park circuit. 3) The army cadets were fantastic at the end.

Three challenges: 1) We missed the foil blankets at the end (especially as the pier head is always cold). 2) Runners were meeting friends at the end of the finish line resulting in boxing up and you can't can't keep moving. 3) There seemed to be less FA on the course and a few people didn't seem to be treated through park and prom. I hope you appreciate the observations? when can we sign up again?? 

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Alan- think this was my 7th Liverpool HM and it was by far the best. I did get delayed in the loo queue but that was my fault for doing a 3m warm up first. Very fast course though the area before the river stretch was a bit twisty. Excellent organisation and it showed Liverpool at its best and only served to confirm how shortsighted not allowing the marathon is. Can't wait for next year even if you move it to 8.30 am! Oh I think I came 3rd in the 50+ section. Do I get a prize? Not bothered if I don't but I've never been placed before.
  • Options

Pink Princes - the presentation was announced several times aover the P.A. and always takes place close to the finish line. It took place at 11.330am on the podium.

Alan Devine - what happened at Aihbuth Vale (by the underpass?)

Bumba - we have never given out foil blankets at the half marathon, meeting at the end of the finish funnel always happens (have you seen the finish of the London Marathon!!!!!) and is difficult to manage because people won't move event when you ask them to, first aid is always under review and given the introduction of a new finish and last stretch along the river front it will be looked at. This illustrates the problem of using the promenade due to restricted access at certain points but we are unable to secure road access back to the Pier Head and demonstrated by the cancellation of the marathon!!!!

Entries likley to be open in the next day or so.

2oldnever - trophies are awarded for just winners in the age categories but well done on a brilliant performance.

• Options

Great day really enjoyed it, thanks a lot.

Any idea if the Wirral half is going ahead yet?

• Options

Yes it is , 13th October I will make a formal announcement when I am able to. Awaiting confirmation from the local authority.

• Options

Alan - when finishing before 10.25 and being told to go straight to the tent for the presentation (wrong one may i add) then hanging around for an hour before another announcent is a pretty long time. Apart from that a brilliant race image

• Options

The delay was due to a discrepancy in the male positions which had to be reviewed by the Race Adjudicator before confirming positions I'm afraid. Beyond my control.

• Options

Much better start and finish area this year Alan, much quicker through the funnel although the timed pens seemed to be a little small for the amount of runners.  Baggage buses were great and I think there were enough toilets.  Only 2 improvements I would suggest is to have an energy drink maybe at the half way point rather than just water and some kind of chocolate bar/flapjack or something at the finish as well as a banana.  Otherwise, superb and its getting better every year.  Well done!

• Options

I think that people suggesting things like more toilets (never seen so many) foil blankets and energy drinks at half way (both of which you rarely see at a half marathon) shows just how fantastic and faultless this run was!

• Options

Fluffyface - you may have noticed that there was a natural end to the start / finish road so consequently we can't extend the length of the start pens. Overall it seemed to work well and please be mindful that this was the first time in our new location.

The upshot is there will be a natural capacity for entries set at 8,000. No more.

Foils, choclate bars, energy drinks (x 7,000) all come at a cost and I'm more than happy to provide but it would be reflected in the entry fee.

• Options

Just listed the Port Sunlight 10K / 5K and Mersey Tunnel 10K events on RW so they should be able to be rated post event. Anyone care to start a thread for either??

• Options

I did this on Sunday and really enjoyed it- only my 2nd HM, but I took over 4mins off my previous time. I think you did well to organise such amazing weather for it Alan, it was great conditions to run in. I really enjoyed the course, although it was a bit tight in places along the prom (but worth it for the route). I think that 4 water stations is really generous for a race- I'd never expect energy drinks- if people want them for a HM they should carry them themselves or arrange for family to be at key points. And I'd only expect foil blankets if it was very bad weather. I didn't think there was a shortage of toilets (in fact I didn't have to queue at all), and the baggage buses were fine.

Looking forward to next year now!

• Options

Can only echo the positive comments really. Finished my first half in 1:41 which I was delighted with coming off only 5 weeks of training and even that was broken up with certain runs having to be cancelled to hold off my leg injury. Next year I'm aiming to break 1:30.

Start section was decent enough, I was off three minutes into the event. People were jumping the barrier to get in but you can't accomodate for that really. Water stations were plentiful, if chaotic at points due to sheer numbers descending upon them, maybe an idea would be to have them both sides so as not to create such a hold-up? We're talking 1-2 second here though so that's picking.

Quality of the medal/tshirt is great, credit it to the cadets for the supply of bananas etc - true, energy drinks, other food, foil blankets etc would be great but for the price, i think it's great value.

Was thrown by running through brunswick industrial estate as I expected the course to follow the waterfront all the way back to the Pier Head - didn't have a reference point as to when I'd hit the marina bridge like I have done by running along the waterfront but I didn't check that properly!

Will be back again next year, 1:30 I'm aiming for you.

• Options

Seedy - if you run down the waterfront again have a look at how difficult it is to navigate from the Chinese Restaurant to the other side of the Marina Bridge, going north. Note the single door width of the British Waterways security gate just before you get there.

• Options

This really was my favourite half, smashed my PB and managed an age grading of 62% which I am thrilled about.

This will be a regular for me, I had already decided never to do the GNR again as I found it too crowded and over hyped. Liverpool route is more interesting and faster well done to organisers, pity it cant be rated here like last year as I am sure it would score well