Options

Lakeland 50/100

1235»

Comments

• Options
    I hope you enjoy the show, Ben. You'll get to go to bed twice while we're still out there.

The timescale of these events can sometimes seem worse to an external observer!

The external observer goes about his daily business and sees the timescale in all its majesty, while the runners loose their sense of time.

I have only ever wept after finishing two events.

One was Comrades, and the other was the Lakeland 100!

• Options
    RoadkillRoadkill ✭✭✭
    WiB wrote (see)

Let's hope its really hot! image Plenty of streams on route, not to forget it finishes right near a river and a lake!

I trotted the L50 route from Pooley Bridge to Trout Beck a week ago and it was sweltering - I really hope it is cooler by Saturday.

I hope everyone's preparations have gone well.  Mine haven't but at least all of my limbs just about work, which is more than I could say a few weeks ago.

• Options

Give me the sun & heat......I love it  image

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Forecast now seems to be saying rain for Saturday! I was looking forward to a nice dry day/night, and would rather it was a bit warm than get wet.

I've not done any specific training for this as my Ironman was only 4 weeks ago, but looking forward to a nice weekend away anyway.

• Options

Dry would be nice, but I'll take some rain over way-too-hot. Last year I think I found the Dunstable Downs Challenge (in which I was only doing 20 miles) harder, in 27-28 C and strong sunshine, than the NDW50 in 22-23 C.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Forecast looks reasonable - not too warm, and dry until late evening on Saturday. Another incentive to get around as quickly as possible!

I'm looking forward to it now, although I might be regretting it 40M in on Saturday! Hope you all have a good race.

• Options

Have a great race all....hope the weather is whatever yiou wish for,.........remember to look up and enjoy the views

• Options

I just want to wish all our Lakelanders the best of luck for tomorrow. 

This race is brutal.  It will push you to your limits, and make you dig deep.  There will be wonder at the majesty of the Lakeland landscape, but there will also be some hard moments in there both physically and mentally.  

What will ultimately amaze you is how deep you can dig, and still keep going.  Even if you do the 100, and you get into a bad way on the first night section, you will be staggered at the depth of reserves both physical and mental, that you can fall back on when you have set yourself a purpose. 

Throughout the race, never loose sight of what it is all about.  That moment when you finish the race, and enter the school in Coniston, is one of the most magic moments to be experienced in British running.  If you get a bit emotional at that point, it is all OK!

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

Good luck to our lovely ultra runners from here running LL50/100.image enjoy!!!!

• Options

Hope you all have a great weekend up in the lakes. Weather looks perfect for runners and spectators. Will be following progress online. 

Wish I was there. image

• Options

Good luck everyone. Hope the weather is kind!

• Options

All the Best from me too. I view the 50 as a major achievement. The 100 is incomprehensible.  

• Options

Well done to everyone up in the lakes this weekend. I found myself getting very little sleep following your progress online. Sometimes there are benefits to be had from being woken countless times through the night by a 1 year old? Had a great time visualising the epic battle like scenes of Buttermere at 3 in the morning from the comfort of my couch. I honestly thought that this year drop rate in the 100 would be lower given drier conditions and mild weather? How wrong was I? Looked brutal. I'm interested to hear from those who have also done previous years as to whether starting later played a part in this? 55% drop is more than last year. Well done to Stuart Mills. Not bad going for 50 years of age. Looking forward to hearing some stories. 

Anyone know for sure when entries open for next year. Think it was Sept 1st this year?

Once again, well done to everyone.

• Options

I fancied that there might be a lower dropout rate this year, because they tightened up the entry criteria, but obviously not. 

I think that the weather is generally the principle determining factor in the dropout rate, and it is not hard to see how it might have contributed this year. 

• Options

Was it quite warm then? Thought temps looked ideal in the forecast but they did say it was going to bucket down the whole day down here yesterday and never happened. Makes sense then if it was hot. Can't be easy getting round that in the heat. Give me sideways rain any day rather. Except when on holiday of course. image

• Options

From what I gather, they got a bit of a double whammy. 

It was very hot through Saturday, then there were thunder storms Saturday night. 

• Options

yes i think they got is hard on the saturday........hot then torrential rain at night.......2 years ago it was very hot in the day.......too hot for me.i strugled to eat or drink until about 1 am in the morning when it started to cool off..........

the year before with occassional rain was much easier to handle.even thoiugh the views were worse

• Options
    After finishing the 100 last year and saying never again, I am seriously considering doing it again next year. I feel strangely drawn and compelled to return in 2014. I think I need help!!!!!
  • Options

In the same boat as you Stephen. Think it's time for another year's training based around the last week in July.

• Options

I uttered the immortal words “never again” last year, but I doubted that my resolve would last long.  This year I saw some of the people that I ran with last year knock lumps off their previous times, and that made me want to come back again.  The first year that Lakeland does not clash with a major overseas event, I will be back. 

• Options

I did the 50 and the humidity really got me.  I struggled to eat and drink all day and the rain actually came as a blessing near the end.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

I did the 50 and found it pretty warm - ran out of water once but wasn't far from the next checkpoint. I managed to finish before the rain started, other than a slight shower just before Tilberthwaite that was very welcome at that point. Somehow managed to come 9th in 9:10 - very surprised by this as hadn't done any specific training for this, just did it off the back of Ironman training.

My wife came to watch and is now talking about doing it next year as a pair! This is the sort of madness that ensues when you get immersed in the atmosphere and the amazing location.

• Options

Great achievement and an amazing effort in what must have been tough conditions. 

I think you're spot on there about the atmosphere of the race weekend. Just being there and running in that wonderful location is breathtaking. Having been up there for most of the previous editions I felt a massive void this year by missing out. On the plus side, the break has made me appreciate it more.

Perhaps we'll see you there next year Padams. 

• Options

Blog post is up @ http://runningape.wordpress.com/

All in all, a great experience. My ankle held up fine, the views were fantastic. Too hot at the start, and wet in the last couple of hours (and dark), but I was quite pelased to finish in under 13.5 hours and 118th/583 starters. I'd really like to do it again fully fit, get under the 12 hours.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

My race report is here. Only two pics at the moment unfortunately but more should appear there soon.

Great report Debra, well done!

• Options

Enjoyed yours as well - it's interesting to get the different views from people doing the same race. Very well done on the time.