Options

Police complaint of going commando

Comments

• Options
    Couple of things here Shane, firstly I run with underwear, usually compression type as I feel more comfy with it. Never had a problem and I don't consider myself to be a knob.

Secondly whether you feel there's a problem or not others obviously do, so why not just try to adjust your attire to compensate. If there was only one complaint I'd say it's just someone playing silly buggers but several? That strikes me as there may indeed be an issue. If however you feel that the complaint is malicious then do as you've done, if you get stopped again then ask the officer what law you're breaking. Chances are he/she will feel the same as you do that their time is being wasted and they're just passing on a complaint as they're duty bound to, when push comes to shove they're probably as happy as you are at being caught in the middle of what may well be a personal vendetta. Be warned though that if your complainants continue to make allegations you may find yourself getting nicked while it's being investigated. And that isn't police harassment it's just them doing their job and responding to community concerns.

As for contacting a solicitor seriously?
  • Options

It would only be harrisment if they were watching your 'arris.

• Options

Personally, I steer clear of going commando precisely BECAUSE of chafing.  Nothing worse, chafe-wise, than skin rubbing against skin. Tried it once or twice and the after effects really weren't comfortable.  Get some running underwear, maybe?  And some bodyglide. 

I guess it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that police might be monitoring what you're doing.  If they receive a lot of complaints, they'll have some responsibility to do that.  I wonder if you've thought of asking them directly about the nature of the complaints they've received?  Get some official feedback, that way you'll see if it is genuine, or just some anti-runner/ anti-penis policeperson.  Not sure how feasible this is - if the police share this information... but if it directly affects you, and you approach them via official channels, I would think they have an obligation to respond.

As for complaining about someone running in tights, that just sounds silly.  If you are consistently wearing clothing that, in effect, exposes you, I can see why it might provoke more of a reaction. 

Just a question.  Is it possible the areas you're running in could be areas known for...how to put this... al fresco physical interactions?  Because the police do patrol certain areas, particularly at certain times of day - and they might be more sensitive to certain attire in such situations (btw... in the unlikely event anyone cares enough to wonder...I'm far too unadventurous to have experienced this first-hand.  And "first hand" doesn't seem like the best choice of phrase, but never mind).

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

We could be getting to the bottom of this.

🙂

• Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

<span style="font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-align: left; background-color: #eeeeee;">anti-penis policeperson image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

To call people who wear underwear "knobs" is ridiculous. Who wears underwear when they run? Erm, most people. Who wears underwear when they've been reported to the police and know they're watching you? Erm, anyone with a BRAIN.

The idea of hiring a solicitor at no doubt massive fees, when either changing route, or simply wearing some pants would solve things beggars belief.

• Options

What a great thread, Shane could it be that you're on the Police radar already, maybe the athletes offenders register 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yep, this thread is pants alright, not!

🙂

• Options

Have any women been stopped by the Police for exposing too much flesh when running? I would like to see this happen!!!

• Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    Clearly, I was wrong in assuming all men wore jock straps?

If the police came knocking on my door, I think I would listen, if not out of utter embarrassment, but out of wanting to get on with neighbours/community and not wanting to get into trouble. Finding appropriate underwear can't be that hard?
  • Options

It's worrying how many people are actually taking  this seriously

• Options
    Alan Jones 37 wrote (see)

You really think anyone is ?????

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    kaffeeg wrote (see)
    Clearly, I was wrong in assuming all men wore jock straps? 

The only time I've ever worn a jockstrap was when playing cricket, so I'd have something to keep the "box" in place, to avoid me nadgers being thwacked by a very hard ball when batting or keeping wicket.  Such an arrangement may not be such a bad idea in this instance, methinks.

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Well wouldn't you take indecent exposure seriously ?    Surely you aren't suggesting he is winding us up.

I am shocked that so many men wear pants under their running shorts though - that's what the liner is there for isn't it ?

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    popsider wrote (see)

I am shocked that so many men wear pants under their running shorts though - that's what the liner is there for isn't it ?

but many of us wear lycra runners which have no liners so you have 3 choices - commando, undercrackers or overshorts.

I go commando but clearly I'm not well blessed enough as nobody's reported me for "swingage" - although I've had a couple of young girls giggle.....image

• Options

If the fuzz complain about the bulge, just ask what the lady policeman is trying to hide with that cuppy strappy thing.

• Options

Ooh DT that sounds like a

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Maybug.jpg/250px-Maybug.jpg

Cockchafer

• Options

looooooooooool at this floppy bits thread!!!

nearly best thread of all time, but still beaten by http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/131751/ 

i'm a female, but if i was a dude who was being followed round by police cars and then got told off for my floppy bits. i'd put some pants on!!!

• Options

Double duty: If your shorts don't have one of the "onion bags" built in then you could get one of these for when you drive to the start of your run, then simply take it out and hook the ends round your ears:

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNZ4m72eLCvwDJiCCHVOzIH4zrNJChwtsssnfcs9XQFkJyOJ9p

• Options
    baldblokebaldbloke ✭✭✭

thanks for the link, oii..the ladies have trumped us on this one...

• Options
    MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

If this is up front......I don't think the police would stand any chance of a successful prosecution if an arrest was even allowed to go that far. However it could cause you much annoyance and stress. The local press would make a story of it.

I suspect that it may have something to do with what estate agents' call "locale". Believe it or not some people want a quiet neighbourhood. No ball games(/), no bikes on pavements, no runners' on pavements, no runners' or men allowed in the park, no children playing in the street,etc. Generally they cannot get their way on these matters. However a bit of lateral thinking a few complaints about supposed exposure or indecency of runners' attire might at least discourage runners' from using the "locale".

• Options

steve.that picture looks a bit too freakily tidy....everything is cleasn and tidy image

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

........if its not just a wind up then it sounds like you are making a mountain out of a molehill.........

Well, from the way that the OP has described himself, I'd have said more like making a molehill out of a mountain.

If you're so worried, Shane shane (or whoever you are, CBA to check it out) just upload a few photos of yourself on here, resplendent in your running gear and we'll let you know what we think.

• Options

Robert Miller 3 wrote (see)

Have any women been stopped by the Police for exposing too much flesh when running? I would like to see this happen!!!

You would like to see women exposing too much flesh? Perv!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    IKFY wrote (see)

Robert Miller 3 wrote (see)

You would like to see women exposing too much flesh? Perv!

That depends on the woman.

• Options
    Seems like someone at Kent Constabulary woke up with a bit of role confusion and thought they were the fashion police.
  • Options
    There are some strange people on this forum, someone comes asking for help and gets accused of:

Indecent exposure

Illicit sex

Lying about the whole thing

Called names

Private parts made fun of, even though i do think the entire topic is funny.

- how old are you people? Some of you are obviously normal but others seem to be kids playing in the playground.
  • Options
    I think thats absolutely outrageous

Who's normal ?