Options

Fell Running

Comments

• Options
    I would use power bar after a run, to aid recovery.
  • Options
    I'll use it after the run then, and stick to a bannana and cereal bar beforehand as usual.
  • Options
    Hello Moor man, I think I will be behind you at the Weavers, I just realised it's only in couple weeks and I've been a bit lax lately. Will be great if sun comes out but with a nip in the air like at moment.
  • Options
    Quacks, I've had to miss a few runs recently including my sunday long run (which I look forward to all week) due to being full of a cold. Guarantee it'll be chucking it down for the weavers. Just went out for a run this dinner time with a lad out of the office he's a triathlete and about 6 in taller, first time I have run with someone for a year and a half, ran my usual run only 10secs faster but felt like I had been running my ar*e off!
  • Options
    Oh well, I will just keep myself going with the thought of that souvenir tea towel and tea and buns in the village hall...
    Don't mind if it rains really, it will be atmospheric, can pretend I'm Kathy or Lorna Doone or ...

[lost in reverie]
  • Options
    I've just set up a new thread that people may want to add to - don't leave me as Billy no-mates!
  • Options
    As a teenager I used to do a lot of fell running in the Peak District. Now over 20 years later and living in Cornwall the nearest alternatives are sand dune running and the undulating coastal path.Recently on holiday in the Peak district I entered seveal fell races and was surprised to see how many races take place every week through the summer and how the hardened fell running brigade seem to race regularly on such a frequent basis without worry of injury.The hardest thing I found was running on such uneven paths and worrying about twisting ankles all the time!
  • Options
    Did my first fell race this year, Cader race, and loved it. Will definately do more. Never knew it was possible to come down a hill so quickly.
  • Options
    Fell Races this weekend:-

Saturday

Black Mountains (Wales) AL 17m/5200
    GR : SO239023
    noon

Scafell Pike (Cumbria) AS 4.5/3000
    GR : 183705
    13:00

Theiveley Pike (Lancs) AS 4/1000
    SD875285
    15:00

Two Breweries (Scot) AL 18/4900
    noon

Sunday

Stanhope Common (Weardale) BM 10/1526
    Stanhope Ford (No GR)
    11:00

Wrekin Wrecker (Somerset) AM 8/2400
    11:00

Weather looks OK but expect some cloud on Scafell Pike as its a big B*gger. temperature gradient of -3.75/1000 so take an extra T shirt.
  • Options
    does anyone know the date of the whinberry naze dash for this year ? it's normally boxing day but i don't know if this is fixed.
  • Options
    Still 26th Dec this year, 11.30am, according to fixtures calendar.
  • Options
    fitted full strike sobrapane insoles into my inov8's at the weekend, this in turn gave me more confidence for running downhill faster, thing that I've noticed today is my shin and calf muscles are really really aching, has anyone else experienced this when putting more effort into the downhills? Going to go for a gentle run this dinner to hopefully ease them off a bit.
  • Options
    anyone done the shepherds skyline over at todmorden? I fancy giving it a go as my first fell race.
  • Options
    moor man - downhills are killers for doing the shins and calf, but cold shower does help
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Anyone doing The Mendip Muddle this weekend?

I did it last year, but not this as I'm still recovering from a marathon. Shame though as it's a great race!
  • Options
    Can't remember if this has been brought up before, but what's the best sort of jacket for up on t'hills, is it just better to have windproof breathable and showerproof rather than waterproof? and is a fleecy type top a good idea for cold and windy days with possibly a gillet?
  • Options
    Anyone out there interested in a series of short (3.5 miles and less) fell races over the winter? Here is some details. Unfortunately I missed the first one, in oct

2003 - 2004
    7 RACES (best 5 results to count)
    SATURDAYS, starting at 2.00 p.m.
    SOUTH WALES WINTER HILL SERIES
    ENTRY FEES: £1.50 per race (Fan Fawr £1.00)
    INDIVIDUAL PRIZES
    AWARDS FOR RUNNERS COMPLETING ALL RACES
    Further details: contact individual race organisers,
    or John Sweeting, tel: 01550 721086
    mobile: 07929 021897
    e-mail: john@grottoview.demon.co.uk

October 11 FAN FAWR
    2m/1000ft
    From lay-by near Storey Arms on A470 Merthyr Brecon road
    (GR SN 983203)
    Organiser: Chris Gildersleve (02920 624143)
    e-mail: chris@steambunny.demon.co.uk

November 8 THE BLORENGE
    2.5m/1400ft
    From Llanfoist Inn, Llanfoist, nr. Abergavenny
    (GR SO 286133)
    Organiser: Eric Meredith (01873 851553)

December 6 ABERGWYNFI
    3.5m/1300ft
    From the Great Western Hotel, just north of the A4107 at
    Abergwynfi (GR SS 895963)
    Organiser: Martin Lucas (01656 880009)
    e-mail: greybeard@chestnutview.freeserve.co.uk

January 17 THE DARREN
    3m/1070ft
    From the Darren pub, Risca, nr. Newport
    (GR ST 235913)
    Organiser: Robert Benjamin (01495 756806)

February 7 LLANTHONY
    3m/1000ft
    From Llanthony Abbey car park
    (GR SO 289278)
    Organiser: Dick Finch (01291 627569)
    e-mail: DFinch@uk.terraindustries.com
    February 28 BLACK MOUNTAINS FROM ENGLAND SIDE
    (details to be finalised)

March 27 PEN CERRIG CALCH
    3m/1500ft
    From Ty Mawr Farm, nr. Llanbedr
    (GR SO 234206)
    Organiser: Derek Thornley (029 2089 1172)
    e-mail: delboy@thethornleys.fsnet.co.uk
  • Options
    Hello and good luck with any upcoming fell races. Richard, my club organises a winter league which I'm thinking of doing as its very local and I'm not doing a spring marathon next year meaning Sundays don't need to be dedicated to long road runs. Don't think any of you are near the lakes but can post details if required.

Moorman, re jackets, unless it's summer and very settled weather I err on the side of caution and bring a totally waterproof jacket (Lowe Alpine triplepoint). If you get wet it's so easy to get cold, especially if it's windy and/or you have to slow down a lot to navigate - which is often a byproduct of the same weather that gets you soaked in the first place. Last couple of fell runs (3 hrs +) I've worn technical Tshirt, Odlo long sleeved thermal plus waterproof jacket, also carried a spare light fleece (North Cape) now it's got colder and more unsettled. Unless it's only a short run, I prefer to carry extra clothing and not use it, than risk getting cold/wet especially running on my own.
    Do you all carry on doing long fell runs in winter?
  • Options
    Thanks, Laura. Will have to wait for fell running now, as I'm carrying an injury (something to do with my back, causing pain and weakness in hip and knee, seeing an osteopath about it, also told one leg is 1/2 inch shorter than the other!) so unfortunately I cannot run any hills, tried a fortnight ago and had to walk back after only 2 miles. All seems to have accumulated after/during the weavers half marathon, all very frustrating as I'm itching to get out in the wilds again. Nevermind will have to stick to treadmills and running on the flat at work for the time being.
  • Options
    Hi Richard, I've thought for some time that I ought to do some of the Welsh winter races but it always seems a long way over from Bath for 2 or 3 miles of racing - if I'm going to travel I prefer to get my money's worth of distance!

Anyway, I must make a note to try and get over and persaude some clubmates to join in as well - but I've run Blorenge in the past (Llanaber-Blaenavon race) and I'm not going up that ******* hill again in a hurry.

• Options
    moorman - condolences - let's hope you soon get sorted and get back on the hills.
  • Options
    Thanks, Andy, going to go for a short slow very flat, very boring run this dinner, osteopath reckons I'll need about 3 or 4 sessions with him so hopefully will find out more when I next see him on Thursday.
  • Options
    hi, can i gatecrash this thread?
  • Options
    ed m, feel free, (can't speak for anyone else though!)
  • Options
    ed_m your are more than welcome
  • Options
    ok so.. hands up if you have a fell locally...
  • Options
    Living in the Brecon Beacons, fells are not too far away. In fact I run at least some fells each day, and for my long run at the weekend is normally 90% off road across the Beacons
  • Options
    Did the talbont trail 20 miler a few weeks ago over the beacons, lovely place. Wish there were more trail/fell runs in the midlands.
  • Options
    Hi Matt

When I lived in Birmingham I did a lot of my running in the Lickey Hills. Was enjoyable, but not real fells.
  • Options
    I've run over Lickey, do a lot over Clent and Kinver in the summer (too dark in winter). All the races seem to be in Wales or up north. Suppose thats where the big hills are.