Options

Fell Running

Comments

• Options
    sfh legs

If my memory serves me correctly there are some pre entry requirements for the 3 Peaks, however its a good while since I did it so I stand to be corrected.

You will be required to carry full gear as its run under FRA rules. There are kit inspections before, and after. Its a grown up dragon of a race in bad weather.

As to the gradients Whernside is the kindest but also the longest, the rest range from brutal to phsycotic. The descents can be particularly nasty in the wet.

My recommendation is to spend a couple of weekends up there and do some reccon. I walked it a couple of times before doing the race.

• Options
    Oh yeah almost forgot

Gnarly old slow git at the back following Frank at a distance.

Anyway Frank who says sheep are slow - you should see my b*ggers shift when the mood takes 'em
  • Options
    Why sfh legs, fancy seeing you here; Promise I won't tell the Training thread of your plans or you'll be goaded even more about your navigation!

As for gnarled old goat, often feel like it whilst fell running, only less graceful.

crunchy, Rivington was also setting for last year's Commonwealth cycling events, went to a couple, it was really exciting.(Kenyans famously got intercepted by police training down the hard shoulder of the M61!) Or did you mean biking as in Devils Bridge on a Sun am?? Good luck with rest of winter league; hope to make a few of them myself. Prob. leave Walsh race on the grounds that I haven't exhausted the possibilities of getting hopelessly lost closer to home yet.

Edale race sounds fab, look forward to hearing about it.
  • Options
    " a grown up dragon of a race". wow that's a brilliant description FR.

thanks for your feedback, I'll be doing more research, meantimes thta means I now need to add gear weight etc to my training regime.

apologies for the "GOG" classification, but the reactions do seem to have reinforced the Fell runner community reputation for freindly dry humour.

Laura L, pls don't spill beans on training thread, Nav is improving but still prone to crass errors, still lots of mileage in keeping you all amiused over there.
  • Options
    Laura - im afraid that it was dressed in leather, not lycra (neither, i suspect a pretty sight) and biking very much as in devils bridge on sundays! I`m told that the top barn is still the place to go to show off, which is interesting as, looking at the race site, is where the race finishes, i think.
    Had a not so fantastic time at Burton yesterday (sunday) - 5 mins before the off i nipped back to dump the extra layers/hat/gloves etc to find (the bitter irony of that last word is not lost on me)that i had somehow rather spectacularly managed to loose my car key somewhere on the course. Brilliant. At that point it started to hail and rain. In buckets. On me. (only) I was impressed, but not half as impressed as the poor, but samaritanly soul who drove me back (hour and half!) after the race, dripping wet, mud spattered and frostbitten.
    1 out of 10 for style.
  • Options
    Oh dear crunchy, doesn't sound like a great day out! 10/10 for good old british pluck though eh. The hail was ferocious yesterday for sure; too wrecked from Sat xcountry to consider any fell races, picked the right day for once.

Good luck with 3 peaks sfh legs; my lips are sealed! Recommend Lowe Alpine bum bag with exterior bottleholders each side, square shape, can't remember model. One of those 'elephant in a mini' bags; when you pull out all the crumpled contents into heap on the floor at the end of your run you won't believe it all fitted in there. V comfortable, can be adjusted rear and front to fit snugly into lower back & avoid bottle bounce which drives me nuts.
  • Options
    sfh legs

3 Peaks entry criteria: Either completing the race in the last 3 years or completeing 3 seperate M or L category fell races (run under FRA rules) in the last 3 years. LDWA events don't count. Some pretty tough cut offs as well - dunno as I'd make them these days....

BTW Tigger Tor entry details available on Totley's web site - good tough 10 mile opener to Totley's excellent series. 8th Feb 11am - see you there.....

• Options
    Oooh - do any of you hardy fell running chaps and chapesses know that John Brown guy off the Hercules prog ?

Heck of a competitor !
  • Options
    I know his back quite well....
  • Options
    Tee hee ! He looks blummin speedy !
  • Options
    I know a man who knows him - just a bit good!
  • Options
    fellrunner - yup have done a couple of this years - unfortuneatly ive missed the last two races - tomorrow (looking out my window now only confirms it with knobs on !)is going to be very very very boggy and muddy. Whitestone last year was the most muddy and boggy of all the races, and with the Noah-esque downpour weve been having here for the last 36 hours, it is going to make it a bit interesting !
  • Options
    hi, fellrunner - how did you do ? - i`m afraid i had a bad day - dunno what was up, i kept falling over (twice ! never fallen over before !!) - just felt sluggish all the way round. It wasnt as boggy as i thought it might have been, though across the top was a bit of a swamp in places.
    It is a low key event, but it is getting bigger - there seems to be twice the competitors this year for the whole league than last year, though it has a really nice friendly family atmosphere, and is a credit to kendal ac for its organisation.
  • Options
    Hi Fellrunner, oops re:-helm hill. I always assumed it was Kendal ac, (which goes a long way to explaining why they dont mention the league on their website !)
    Sincere apologies to billy proctor, who i know is intrinsic in its organisation, and oddly, who i also know runs for Helm Hill runners, and yet i still got it wrong. My cross referencing skills arent what they should be.
    I suspect that the hapless plodder who did a rather spectactular a-over-t was indeed yours sincerely. Wearing black (suited my performance), with bedraggled pony tail (running like a donkey). Havent got my time yet (not sure i want to - will wait till theyre posted !)
    Im not able to get over to barbon - my wife is working, and i`m left with the kids. I`m planning for Birkrigg for the 15th, as although i missed it last year, its basically my back garden, so i reckon i ought to.
  • Options
    now where talking! thought fell running was not covered at all in this magazine - well done the seter-upper.
    heres one for you - has anyone done the man versus horse race in mid wales? looking for some info on the course as may visit it in the next few weeks for a recce - i am entering it this year - my first long mountain race and becoming a tad nervous!
  • Options
    Hi Glenn and welcome to a somewhat sporadic thread - we're obviously not as talkative as some of the others on here.

MvH - always fancied it but it always seems to clash with another must-do event, the Welsh Castles Relay - I'll have to check the diary for this year
  • Options
    Hi Glenn, I'm also thinking of man v horse so would be interested in anyones comments. Did anyone do Totleys Tiger Tor yesterday, great fun very wet and muddy.
  • Options
    Yep I did it.

Totley's excellent organisation to the fore again. Very good course, very good race.

All those orienteers running around Burbage Valley made it a bit confusing though....

• Options
    You,re right at one point I nearly followed them. Visions of short cuts flashed through my mind. The races are always well organised, it amazes me how quick they sort the results out compared to most road races.
  • Options
    I think they have a very well organised group of ladies who do all of that.
  • Options
    BTW

I'm assuming Steve Penney and Christine Howard won as they were both there. Penney's coach told me he wasn't doing it this year - "Oh goody" thinks I "Gives the rest of us a chance". Obviously he decided he couldn't resist it.....
  • Options
    NO it wasn't Steve Penny 'cos I was suprised. Can't remember who it was though, sorry. Christine Howard won the ladies though ahead of Lynn Bland I think. You could say I was someway behind!
  • Options
    Tigger Tor 10

Decided to pull out on Sat night, due to the torrential sleet and howling gale, and went to the pub.

Changed my mind on Sun morning when I saw all the blue sky. What with the probable icy conditions, the lack of training and the efects of the night befores beer I decided to 'treat it as a training run' and 'enjoy the views/atmosphere' so I ended up 3 minutes slower than last year.

Very pleasant way to spend a Feb morning!
  • Options
    So that'll put you only 27 minutes ahead of me instead of the usual 30 then Frank.....

:-)))

• Options
    Not me. Trying to ramp up for London. Will probably stick to the roads as the hills will be very wet.