Options

Running with music

Comments

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Also-ran: Try some Phil Collins.
  • Options

imageimagemy hobby is also running and love reading runners world, as a person that does not sit in front of a computer all day i am shocked with the sarcastic comments people make. i am new to blogging and have never discussed the wearing of i pods before, but i think it is a stupid rule . i to will not be doing runs which do not allow you to run with i pods. i have only been running for two years and as an older runner am quite capable of saying excuse me if i need to pass someone on a run.i prefer country runs and do the grimm and a lot of army run courses which dogs are also allowed on. they have a lot of  single track paths were the dogs start after you but catch us up and over take us but even though i am wearing i pods i can here them coming and they just shout dog coming through i have never known a race that you cant pass people. to be told you can not wear i pods is health and safety gone mad and it stops your enjoyment in the run. and like dawn points out the London marathon with thousands of people manage quite well. 

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Also-ran: try Leonard Cohen, whom someone once described as "music to slit your wrists to".

Julie Bailey 7: "i to will not be doing runs which do not allow you to run with i pods". Good idea, please do that. I'll stick to races that do ban iPods, for the better safety and also the better manners.

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    TimR wrote (see)
    Also-ran: Try some Phil Collins.
    Muttley wrote (see)

Also-ran: try Leonard Cohen, whom someone once described as "music to slit your wrists to".

Will let you know how it goes if I ever finish that runimage

• Options
    julie bailey 7 wrote (see)

even though i am wearing i pods i can here them coming

Now wearing more than one ipod is just plain daftimage

• Options

Ok you want to know why I dont wear an ipod in races and dont really approve of those who do. Its a matter of involvement. Cutting yourself off from me and those around you. Those runners who never congratulate other runners for a run well done . The ones who act as though thay havent just taken part in something with others. No chit chat after.Oh no it was just them and the pursuit of their individual goals. Bugger that!. Go home and run on your treadmill you anti-social so and so.

I speak as an introverted person too and it takes some doing to even give a thumbs up when I pass a runner I know from sight and races. I do it though, sometimes giving a hello and getting one back. I really dont like this social insulation than the ipod represents as though having a stranger talk to you is a fate worse than death. Its not. Its very human. A bit like running. So if you see me say hello. I will say hello back as I will be able to hear youimage

• Options

do the grimm and a lot of army run courses which dogs are also allowed on. they have a lot of  single track paths were the dogs start after you but catch us up and over take us but even though i am wearing i pods i can here them coming and they just shout dog coming through

Thats some darn clever doggies they have in them there runs ... 

• Options

and is it ok for the dogs to wear earphones too ?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u40/boxer_with_headphones.jpg

• Options
    i to find the sarcastic comments shocking Julie
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Also-ran wrote (see)

imageimagemy hobby is also running and love reading runners world, as a person that does not sit in front of a computer all day i am shocked with the sarcastic comments people make. i am new to blogging and have never discussed the wearing of i pods before, but i think it is a stupid rule . i to will not be doing runs which do not allow you to run with i pods. i have only been running for two years and as an older runner am quite capable of saying excuse me if i need to pass someone on a run.i prefer country runs and do the grimm and a lot of army run courses which dogs are also allowed on. they have a lot of  single track paths were the dogs start after you but catch us up and over take us but even though i am wearing i pods i can here them coming and they just shout dog coming through i have never known a race that you cant pass people. to be told you can not wear i pods is health and safety gone mad and it stops your enjoyment in the run. and like dawn points out the London marathon with thousands of people manage quite well. 

Explainimage

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

So its really a case of when and where. In training, ipods are fine, in a race they prove you're a self centered twat.

🙂

• Options

What does it matter? I mean really? do you say hello to everyone you pass? do you need a conversation or would a nod do?

If people like to use ipods/mp3 players so what? horses for courses...

Sometimes I just do not want to interact with people around me and if thats the case ipod or ipod I'll not interact.

As for races...again horses for courses.

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I suspect (but have no evidence) that those who defend iPod use so strongly use them as a crutch. I used to make sure I took a bottle of water on every run over 3 miles. I weaned myself off them by running with one but not drinking from it on a few training runs.

It was a hard habit to break, but now I find I don't need anything on a cool day for up to 13miles. The 10k on Sun I didn't even take water at the water stations.

Interestingly you never see anything about HRMs which are only allowed in races over 10k and GPS/Footpods which are nit allowed at all. How many people against iPods wear either if those type of device?. Especially as music has been proved to enhance athletic performance.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

So its really a case of when and where. In training, ipods are fine, in a race they prove you're a self centered twat.

Love it Ric! image

Julie, if you can't enjoy a run without music on, maybe you don't actually like the run part that much, and instead might prefer just to stay home and listen to music in peace?

What the hell kind of runs do you do where they let some random hounds come and chase you? Do you dress up as a fox or something?

ps, yes you might be capable of saying "excuse me can i pass", but the whole point is people behind you can't do the same as you've got the damm headphones on and can't hear!

• Options
    Dave Anderson 5 wrote (see

As for races...again horses for courses.

Jeez, thats going too far, Ipods, dogs and now you want bloody horses allowed too ??

• Options
    i to don't like horses and dogs and running with i-pods
  • Options
    kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    It's a bit like, (now see how seamlessly I manage to change the subject) those 'silent discos', where everyone puts on their headphones and dances to the music the dj is playing through a podcast thing. Now, I always wonder, what happens if you want to pull. You got to take out your headphones to talk to each other, which has the potential for being awkward, no?

But then, who needs to talk? I suppose that is the answer.

I could go on about inane things a little further?
  • Options
    Can someone quote Julie Bailey just one more time. It's so bad its good.
  • Options
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

a lot of army run courses which dogs are also allowed on. they have a lot of  single track paths were the dogs start after you but catch us up and over take us but even though i am wearing i pods i can here them coming and they just shout dog coming through

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

dog coming through

Maybe that's the simple way to move the dreaded ipod runner

• Options
    Piers wrote (see)
    Has anyone seen the film Troll Hunter?

Yes, super Norwegian film. Second only to the nazi-zombies-in-the-snow one with the byline "Ein swei die!"

• Options
    TimR wrote (see)
    Interestingly you never see anything about HRMs which are only allowed in races over 10k and GPS/Footpods which are nit allowed at all.

Is this right....HRMs are only allowed in races over 10k?  I've done a lot of races (large and small, from 5k to HM) and never seen them even mentioned.  Neither have I seen anything about GPS or Footpods.  Can someone clarify this, please?  Thanks.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

And yet every time I pass a female runner and shout "Woof!", they get offended!

Harrumph!

• Options
    Rich Jackson wrote (see)
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

a lot of army run courses which dogs are also allowed on. they have a lot of  single track paths were the dogs start after you but catch us up and over take us but even though i am wearing i pods i can here them coming and they just shout dog coming through

The British Army.  In their spare time they now organise Fun Runs where dogs chase after you.  Where can I sign up for that ?

Anyroad, I believe the OP got her attitude all wrong.  Clearly, the toilet lurking verbal attacker was incredibly wound up by the wearing of headphones - in fact, one might say she'd lost her composure before the race had started. 

As such the OP should have met up with her 'verbal attacker' on the start line, calmly removed her headphones, and then run alongside her, singing and "la" ing for the whole race.  Job jobbed.

• Options
    Another thing I've noticed when watching races is why on earth put your name on your running vest and run with an iPod when you can't hear people cheering and encouraging you on. I supported some of my running club at the Edinburgh marathon last month and ended up saying to these people ' I'd like to cheer you on but you can't hear me'.

Rules are rules and should be abided by. I used to run with an iPod but I now prefer to concentrate on my breathing and how I'm feeling and the activity eg running rather than listening to music...time and place poeple, time and a place. iPod have no place in a race! Ha I'm a poet!
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Polly-Polly: we had a long thread on here last year about what constituted a pacing device. I've checked back and it now looks like there has been a specific addition that states that HRM and GPS are now allowed. Not sure when this was added but it's good to see it's been cleared up.

There is also a race organisers guide to filling in a Risk assessment and applying for PLI up to ??50M. But you need to register as a race organiser to download it.
  • Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Jeez, these dog attack events really ramp up the cost of this sport. I need yet another technical dog attack suit. Luckily I heard fido coming this  time

http://www.collarsandtags.co.uk/images/funrun.jpg