Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Chuffin' Ada, Bob !!

Am i allowed to predict that Bob will be the man to catch this time next year .... image

My seemingly ever-present ( since March ) groin niggle is starting to piss me off now and i'm thinking about paying a rare visit to my quack. It's not getting any worse but is enough to stop me racing a 10k this weekend which i was going to enter on the day.

I suspect he'll just tell me to rest for at least a week

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

But if Lit travelled a bit then you could make it doable.

Marrows- Yes, I believe that banana based cycling is far more efficient financially than a car. I do of course assume you do not mean a banana powered car however? I do have an anecdote re bananas that was quite pleasing to me. My Wife made a rare trip to asda recently and purchased a decent sized bunch for 9 (nine) pence!

I am currently training for a selection of 10k's and halfs, trying to achieve a time that will leave me happy enough in my ability to invest another 18 weeks in training for a marathon and going sub 3! what's next for you?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Having spent 7 hours in a removals van yesterday I can confirm that it is indeed a long way from Carlisle to my new house, though approx. 10 miles nearer than it would be to St Andrews. I had a wee behind some bushes in a layby in Cumbria, Skinny, and thought of you.

I hate bananas.

• Options

Off A66 presumably. You must have suddenly needed to not make it from Scotch Corner to Motorway Services at Southwaite - its only about an hour.

Do you get a vote on Independence by the way?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes I think so but I have to register, and there weren't any services for a really really long stretch.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Mace, don't waste your time with a go, unless its a stepping stone to a swift NHS referral.

How is the new job going, Richard?

Fairly hot 28c 12 miler tonight followed by a cooling dip in the outdoor pool. Cycling tomorrow and following last weeks positive feedback and a predicted 8am temp of 17c I will be wearing the tri suit. 

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Cheers Bob. I'm not bothering with Notts 5 tonight, combination of the forecast weather conditions and a crazy week at work makes it seem like a fairly pointless exercise. Will probably do the Godiva 5 later in the summer which Lou mentioned. Looks like  afialry tasty session for you on Monday, good work!

DT - good decision to go for easy rather than more threshold stuff I'd say.

Good to hear from you Richard, hope the new job's going well. Bet Glasgow is buzzing at the moment with the Commonwealths. I was reading Steve Way's blog last night and he's absolutely loving it, he comes across as a really decent guy and I really hope he does well.

4 out of 5 trials completed now, looking forward to finishing it now and hopefully getting some feedback.     

• Options

19 mins - 2.1 miles - its a lot less time consuming being injuredimage

• Options

Skinny - Yes, we have a similar routine with the 'squashy' ball at our pilates class...though only squeezed between the legs last night. It was a foam roller (lengthways down the spine) we were having to perch precariously on for several of our exercises, with mixed and often amusing rather than productive results! A 'work-in-progress' for most of us as Jackie diplomatically put it. Good to hear you got in a 2 miler.

Mace - Ha. Don't put any money on it. I might give one or two of you faster guys (and gal) a contest on the track if you ever dropped down (unless you trained for it), but I won't be threatening you, Lit, Muddy (or Skinny when he's back to his best) over distances of 5k up any time soon, if at all, I wouldn't have thought. Shame about that groin niggle - lay it on thick with the GP: 'Have tried complete rest and a gentle comeback', 'running is so important to me - I've lost x stone and am so much healthier', 'just don't know what to do next, etc, etc...'. Seems to expedite the referral process.

DT - Did the 9p bananas have any yellow left on them whatsoever?!

Richard - By contrast, with the stifling days at work and the sleepless nights either side of them, I've been looking on in envy at the cooler temperatures up in Scotland! I like the warmth, but get top side of 25C in the land locked East Mids, and things start getting oppressive. Looks a good, consistent session of 1200s from you, and glad to hear Glasgow and the job is treating you well.

Tommy - Can't say I blame you. Wise decision I would think.

DT19 wrote (see)

Cycling tomorrow and following last weeks positive feedback and a predicted 8am temp of 17c I will be wearing the gimp suit. 

Enjoy!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, certainly enough yellow for the lad to eat. I dont touch bananas unless they are green.

Pleasant cycle in this morning in the TRI suit. Lower leg nerve inpingement is playing me up again. Its like I have toothache in my lower leg. Getting really annoyed as the rest of my body is feeling in great shape and recovering from sessions really fast.

• Options

Impossible to know if the nerve impingement is exactly the same as I had, but does sound similar. Thorough glute stretching and hamstring stretching, the latter preferably with a theraband but however you can really, seemed to be what gave me eventual relief. I was taking every opportunity possible - probably 10-12 times per day initially including using the surrounds of the basins in the loos at work. I've still got some background stiffness with it even now, and stretch both either before or during every run, and at least twice afterwards. Time consuming, but is keeping me moving and running without it troubling me once I'm warmed up. The positive side effect of it is that with all the other stretching I'm doing, I'm running generally more freely than I ever did previously, so finding it definitely worth the investment of my time.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes...when i first saw this new physio he did some really heavy hamstring stretching with me and it worked. The problem is, using dfoor frames and sinks, i cannot seem to exert the same level of stretch as when he did it. I am only doing them twice a day so will try and up the ante a bit.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

after a bit of a catch up ...

Lit - good luck with the move and settling in your new home. I thought it was just us blokes that announced our arrival in a new place with a slash on the road side so top marks for that image

muddy - excellent chimp wrestling

Tommy - i had an isolated case of stitch a few months back having not had it in yonks. I drank quite a bit and ate immediately before the run .... I agree with you about Steve Way, he seems a tad eccentric but also a top bloke who has time for everyone ( not just the quickies !! ) I certainly wish him the very best in Glasgow and will be rooting for him.

Richard - good to hear you've settled into the job, can't be easy with such a change and making time for running. Good luck. I wouldn't be too envious of the heat down here as it's been a bit uncomfortable at times.

Bob - cheers for the GP tip, i'll lay it on nice and thick image I guess with the speeds you're hitting that stretching becomes uber important.

DT - i can sympathise with you as it's exactly how i'm feeling. Everything is tickety boo other than the poxy groin thing.

Skinny - not sure i could do "wheat-free" so well done. And good to see you chucking a parkrun in. The comeback is well and truly on and i predict you will be the man to catch this time next year image

Anyone see David Blaine " Drowned Alive " ? I know it's a repeat but i only watched it last night .... 7 days submerged in a bubble and at the end he goes for a world record attempt at holding his breath for something like 9 mins. He managed 7:xx and it was interesting listening to him explaining how he deals with the pain. He's a bloody nutter that's for sure.

In other news, i tried 8 x 3mins threshold today which although it felt easier than last weeks 2 x 10mins, was still a bit of a grind and left me wondering if i'm trying to do the equivalent of squeezing into a pair of trousers 2 sizes too small image

The new FR620 also tells me that my average cadence for the 9M was 179 with a max of 192, so that seems ok, but i suspect my stride length is pathetic with an average of 1.2 mtrs and a max of 1.33 mtrs. This could be to do with the fact that i have relatively short legs ( 29ish inside leg ) but could also have something to do with the niggle / groin tightness and hence why it all seems a bit of a struggle image

EDIT : first spinning class tonight, hopefully that will free me up a bit ....

• Options

Spinning - I nearly did a spinning class when I was first injured but was a bit worried about being shit - having doen a bit of cycling now I could imagine giving it a whirl in the winter - variety being the spice of life!

How do these garmins work with cadence and stride length - how do they know?

Re 'wheat free' - unfortunately it is my bosses 60th birthday today and so we are going out and the buffet organised sounds very wheat orientated so after nearly 9 days I am going to fall off the wagon - as I'm trying to do 3 months wheat free to establish if some things change that means I'll need to start the clock again - its okay when you are eating at home and picking the food yourself but eating and drinking outside the house is a lot more challenging.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

mace- I think a spin class is a great addition to a weekly schedule. You can get a pretty hefty cardio workout without most of the injury risks you would be taking to get the equivalent from running. Obviously some classes/instructors are better than others so if you have multiple classes at your gym try different ones.

Im not sure I could do wheat free. Id struggle for meal option without bread.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I have done it before, when trying to lose weight, and it worked I think not because bread or starchy carbs are intrinsically bad, but because they've got quite a lot of calories in them for the amount they satisfy you. Anyway, cutting them out and then gradually reintroducing them in smaller quantities showed me that refined wheat products made me retain more water and feel more bloated (you don't notice if constant low-level bloating is the norm) so now I eat them more sparingly. I can think of lots of meals that don't involve bread. I had fruit, yoghurt and muesli for breakfast, and a delicious scotch egg with some salad for lunch. I am going out for dinner but I actually don't think there is any bread on the menu. So a non-deliberate bread-free day for me.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

ok bread aside, isn't there wheat in muesli?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It depends on the muesli. I think this one is spelt* and oats. But I'm not too fussy at the moment as I'm not deliberately avoiding any foods.** Sometimes I make granola, in which case I use oats and rye flakes.

*admittedly closely related to wheat.
    **except bananas.

• Options

DT - Worth a go, recommend getting hold of a theraband if you've not got one - seems to give me the most thorough hamstring stretch of all the variations.

Mace - Aye, think I'd be walking like the tin man by now otherwise! Enjoy the spinning - that's going to be hot work!

Skinny - Any specific reason for the wheat avoidance?

Lit - Did the Scotch Egg not have breadcrumbs? image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

bob, specifically what hamstring exercise do you do with the band? Ive looked on google and there seems to be multiple options?

• Options

DT - This one for the most part: -

http://www.thera-bandacademy.com/elements/clients/images/DSC-454620071014__061408_084340.jpg

• Options
    Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

Skinny - Any specific reason for the wheat avoidance?

I have a number of minor long term things that may or may not be linked to wheat intolerance and no way of finding out unless you go cold turkey on wheat and see what happens. Also my wife persuaded two of my daughters to try it for some health issues they were having and they are much improved. My uncle has also recently been diagnosed as coeliac in his 60s and so if my mum's brother has that, my daughter's show signs of an intolerance then it is possible that I have a similar gluten intolerance (different to coeliac).

Linked to this I am reading a book called Wheat Belly which is very eye opening. Some of the following facts may not be quite right but roughly in the 1950's wheat was hybridised massively to try and improve yields (unlike genetic modifications this hybridisation was completely unregulated) - modern wheat is now completely different in make up to the wheat humans have eaten for generations - this modern wheat contains gluten A, B and D - gluten D is bad for most people - gluten D did not exist at all historically. This gluten D can affect your body in lots of differnet ways and has been linked to lots of health problems but is present in 99% of the wheat we eat today around the world - the timescale for the obesity and diabetic epidemic (not my problem but of interest to many) can be linked to the change in production methods for wheat - modern wheat creates a reaction in the brain similar to hard drugs which can be knocked off by using suppressing drugs used for hardened drug users - it also gives you a sudden high that is followed quite quickly by a corresponding low hence causing you to feel hungry again so you snack on something sugary which creates same effect and repeat throughout the day.

Oops - long paragraph apology. I've only read about 50 pages of the 200 page book and I'm sure some of the science quoted above won't be quite right but if (unlike me) you want to lose half a stone of excess weight cut wheat from your diet.

EDIT Thinking again I think the high is caused by the fact that wholewheat bread has a higher glycemic index than table sugar.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

How do these garmins work with cadence and stride length - how do they know?

Sensors init image, detecting torso movement and then i guess a bit of rapid maths to calc stride length.
    Lit - yes, bread is a bastard. A similar sized portion of veg/salad can leave you satisfied for much longer. My favourite breakfast at the moment is Greek Yoghurt and chopped up peach.
    Bob - i remember that one from pilates class. I could get my leg nowhere near that far( prob 45 deg max )  and when i tried my instructor told me off as i bent my knee and the key is a straight leg and it doesn't matter how far. My instructor used to get her toe pretty much to her head image
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

bob- i am essentially doing that stretch against a door frame and moving my body around the frame to take it further.

Might get myself back in the nhs system or start the ball rolling as takes about 4 weeks to see a physio and there is only so long i can sustain £37 per week.

• Options

Cheers, Skinny. Blimey, diet's a real minefield innit? 

Dramatic sounding stuff regarding 'modern' wheat. Was thinking I was doing myself a favour by switching most of my pasta consumption to whole wheat, but perhaps not as much of a favour as I thought!

Good luck with your change of diet, will be interesting to hear what changes you find if you get a prolonged wheat free stint together.

• Options

Yes - I suppose the qualification to what is written above is that this is information from one source (although many reference sources quoted in book) - there are many many more sources who will tell you that eating whole grains are good for you (and the main wholegrain that we all eat is wheat) - of course the irony of this advice is one of the main thrusts of the book.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

(and the main wholegrain that we all eat is wheat) 

Speak for yourself - mine are oats and rice. And sometimes wholegrain rye. Though I do eat wheat sometimes. It is astonishing though when you look at the quantities people get through as opposed to any other foodstuff. E.g. you might have toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and pasta for tea, with maybe some biscuits and another slice of toast thrown in for snacks.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

hmmmmm, i had toast for breakfast, paella for lunch and i'm having thai curry with rice for dinnerimage

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm sure you're all fascinated to learn what I had for dinner, so it was some lebanese stuffed courgette (with rice in) and nectarine and feta salad with beetroot tempura (my friend and I ordered two starters and split them), then a broad bean and spinach burger with cassava chips and root & apple slaw (so I did have bread, with the burger), then raw chocolate and cherry tart and also some cheese, copious amounts of wine, a coffee and a g&t on the way home as I was passing the pub where I suspected my running club would be.