Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good running Bob and lit, all looking good for you both at Newstead in a week or so. I also saw a double rainbow last night, guess it was the same that you saw. What time does your party start on Saturday, lit?  

DT- sounds brutal, particularly in the heat. 7 miles at threshold sounds quite a lot, I thought the rule of thumb was no more than 10% of your weekly mileage should be at threshold, sounds like you're doing more than that? However, it seems to be working for you, as you're staying injury free and getting course PB's.

Skinny - sounds good, any more trips to the physio planned?

Lou - will let you know, but I should be able to arrange things in such as a way that I'll be there. Nice consistent reps, as Bob says, that will be good for 5k.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, good work, definitely some informal plan in there!

Lit- hope there's not a practical joker at the trapeze session who puts comedy ahead of safety as a parting prank!

Tommy, I always thought the split between quality and easy was 70/30?

Pleasant cycle home. Might be tempted by a few estrellas in the garden shortly. 

• Options
    Tommy - I am in email contact with my physio but she is not interested in seeing me at the moment so I just need to keep doing what I'm doing.
  • Options

DT - 3x20mins at threshold sounds equivalent to to the old 3x2miles at 10k. I shouldn't think the length of the rest interval matters. Tempo is not like vo2max type workouts where you need to maintain the intensity.

Skinny - I got a tri suit from aldi for only£15 a while ago. It's a bit tight down there tbh, but cheap.

No training of any sort for me today. A long day wandering around the severn valley in the sun looking at feasibility options for a big civils project then straight to eldest's athletics awards evening. He didn't win anything, but was very pleased with his taking part medal.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Coincidentally I have an aldi tri suit that I got nearly two years ago and wore it today for first time cycling to work. I'm never likely to do a trip so need to wear it for something. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Was it a bit tight 'down there' though DT?

Tommy - the pub serves food (and allows children) till 7, so I will get there early for the people with babies who want to have dinner and then take the babies home, but if you don't either (a) want to eat or (b) have small children you wish to bring with you, just turn up any time you like; I'll be there all evening.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Actually...as I left my wife said 'you're not seriously going out like that are you?' Along with 'you look like borat'. I was very conscious walking into a predominantly female office as my jewels were very clear so, and forgive the term, I carefully held my helmet over that region until I was in my office!

• Options

I don't own a tri suit/shorts (or cycle shorts) so it would be crazy to think I had any intention of doing a triathlon.

I am using a sprint triathlon on 3rd August as a focus for my cross training effort (targetting sub 1:20) however I don't think my leg is going to be ready to run 5k in time. It may be possible to do the triathlon and jog/walk the 5k but I haven't decided if I want to do that yet.

It has been very helpful aiming for a target for my cycling and swimming as without it I think my cross training would have been minimal - it doesn't really matter now whether or not I actually do it.

Is your leaving party tonight Lit? If so, enjoy it and I hope everyone gives you a good send off - I presume you won't be parkrunning in the morning!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

No it is on Saturday. You can come if you like. Only a 400-mile round trip.

• Options

Tempting.........................image

EDIT: PS Swimming this morning was ruined by too much traffic in the pool - was aiming for 4*150m in 3:25 average with the rest of the fourth minute as recovery.

Did a 3:23 then a 3:29 (got stuck behind an old woman who was swimming quite well for her age but slower than me and someone else coming the other way), then had to abort the next one as no room at all, then just swam a bit, then 3:25 then gave up.

I suppose a busy pool is the swimming equivalent of a windy day when running or cycling.

• Options

Tommy - Good luck if you parkrun in the morning - both with the running and (potentially) the weather! What time are you thinking of getting to the pub on Sat?

Ah-ha. There had to be something there at the end of it, Skinny. Good plan though. As you say, it's clearly given you something to focus on to keep general fitness up, so job done. image

A hot recovery run of under 3 miles for me last night with plenty of stretching during and after. Day off today. I remember 'running' last year in something like the 30C they're forecasting for later, and it was neither pleasant nor productive.

DT - I've found quality miles in excess of 20% of average weekly mileage is about the point that things can start going wrong for me. Doesn't happen immediately, so as an occasional one-off I'd likely get away with a week like yours last week with the regular racing, but I need to balance it off with some easier running, and make sure I don't exceed 20% over a period of weeks. Apart from the potential injury / niggle risk though, there's also a danger that eventually you're too fatigued to continue to progress race and quality session paces, and you can get stuck in a plateau - which I think happened to me last autumn before I dropped all quality and upped the base mileage. Anyway, it's working well for you at the moment, but it's just something I'd keep in mind. I also agree with Lou regarding the relative importance of the length of rest intervals for a tempo session versus a VO2 max session incidentally. It's time at the correct intensity that's important, and if you're doing 3 x 15 mins at threshold, you've got a long time at the right intensity no matter how long your rest interval is. A VO2 max session, you might only be running for 15-20 mins, so you need to keep the intervals shorter, otherwise you're spending too much of the actual rep building back to the intensity you're after.

DT19 wrote (see)

Actually...as I left my wife said 'you're not seriously going out like that are you?' Along with 'you look like borat'. I was very conscious walking into a predominantly female office as my jewels were very clear so, and forgive the term, I carefully waved my helmet through that department on the way to my office!

You did what?! image

• Options
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Bob- Nice bit of editingimage

Yes i see the point with the over training stuff and the vo2/lt point. I suppose the shorter recoveries on the lt work are not neccessarily to push th threshold harder, but to encourage effort when tired i guess?

On that theme, lunch time session of 10 min lt- 5x4min 10kp- 10min lt. I did it on treadmill so not quite as rough as it sounds as its clearly a much easier consistent gradient. Was getting pretty heavy legged in the final 10 min at threshold though.

That done, nothing serious heavy to contend with until Tuesday now.

Anyone racing this weekend? Muddy usually is at least.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It's probably just the speeded-up effect of reading about them on here, DT, but it does come across like you're doing monster LT sessions every 5 minutes! Still, rather you than me.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Its is only twice a week and i am not doing anything faster really (other than todays brief stint at 10kp).

It is also the fact that my weekends have been hi-jacked by weddings and stag do's etc so i am always having to do a long run and my 2 lt sessions tuesday-friday. Next week looks a bit more sensible as the wedding i am off to starts at 2pm so i can spread my quality out as tuesday/saturday with a long run thursday.

• Options

DT - Yep you are correct: Leeds 10k for me, a 'one year of running' anniversary race.

• Options

Good luck Muddy - I'm guessing that Lit might be doing a last parkrun in Nottingham too but I might be wrong?

I had to reread DT's original use of the word helmet the first time round so knew straight away that Bob's was a rewrite - very funny though!image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

But I did a parkrun only the other week, Skinny, taking me up to a lifetime total of 5 parkruns. Doing one tomorrow as well would be overkill.

• Options

So you ARE doing oneimage - which one?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)

Actually...as I left my wife said 'you're not seriously going out like that are you?' Along with 'you look like borat'. I was very conscious walking into a predominantly female office as my jewels were very clear so, and forgive the term, I carefully held my helmet over that region until I was in my office!

The combination of the "doesn't lie" nature of Lycra, and the "shrinking" effect of hard exercise, makes your outfit sound particularly ill advised.

• Options
    If you've never seen a man with a camel toe....
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good luck muddy. The weather could be anything looking at the variety of forecasts. If the current forecast for Newbury happens, there won't be much horse racing.

In that context it was Ill advised however in very hot conditions it was far lighter than bibbed shorts and a top and I won't hesitate to wheel it out again if morning temps exceed 17c.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

DT, cooler and looser shorts saves everyone's eyes!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Skinny, if you seriously think I am doing a parkrun 3 days after a 5-mile race you must have been working with a different coach to me all this time.

Can we stop thinking about shrivelled sweaty men in lycra now, please?

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Tommy - the pub serves food (and allows children) till 7, so I will get there early for the people with babies who want to have dinner and then take the babies home, but if you don't either (a) want to eat or (b) have small children you wish to bring with you, just turn up any time you like; I'll be there all evening.

Ok sounds good, I will eat at home and have no children to bring with me. Bob - I'll probably aim to get there between 8 and 8:30. Undecided about parkrun in the morning, will see what time I wake up. Not ideal preparation today, over 8 hours in the car driving to Essex and back plus walking up and down some pretty steep slopes for a few hours in 33 degree heat image.

Good luck with the 10k, muddy.

Skinny - good X-training.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Muddy - you've only been running a year ?

Am I allowed to predict that muddy will be the man to catch this time next year ...
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

13 mile LSR this morning. The pissing rain stopped just in time for my wet shorts to cling uncomfortably to my arse for the last 5 miles. Now to spend the whole day packing my books in alphabetical order.

• Options
    Cheers chaps. Went out for a light jog in the pouring down rain this morning. The rain was nice but could have done without the soggy t shirt. Also didn't think things through so going to have wet shoes tomorrow (currently stuffed with newspaper).

Mace - Yes, started this time last year with a mammoth 1.38 mile run in which I had to stop and walk three times.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Have a good race tomorrow, muddy.  Isn't Leeds supposed to be a good course (even though it's in Yorkshire)?

Good luck with the move, lit, and try not to get distracted into reading the books rather than packing them!  Oh and enjoy the party, too. Does it have a running theme so Bob can wear his short shorts? Or is it a James Blunt theme so Tommy can gradually shed his clothes then plunge into icy water? I seem to remember that it's a good pub, anyway; I went to a friend's party there a couple of years ago.

• Options

Looking like a similar time I'll get there tonight, Tommy & Lit. See you later.

Pete - I don't do fancy dress anyway.

Took a drenching earlier doing some shopping. Literally wrung my polo shirt and shorts out when I got home. Torrential doesn't do it justice. Dried up a bit for a very flat feeling 7 miles or so. Tried to kick start things with some short, well spaced progressive paces, but still felt heavy legged during a couple of 1 min bursts at 5k paceso jogged home. Might be the humid weather, but slightly concerned I might have emptied the tank!

mace wrote (see)
    Muddy - you've only been running a year ? 

Am I allowed to predict that muddy will be the man to catch this time next year ...

Yes, but think I predicted this back in January! image Good luck tomorrow, Muddy.

Thunder rumbling around here again as I type...