Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Blinking 'eck, Madbee.  Massive PB!  Top bombing!  image

And Muddy too - sub-30!  More top bombing!  

(Apols for overuse of exclamation marks but they seem warranted on this occasion)

Pete - I've been peering out of the window too thinking how unpleasant it looks out there.  We had shades of approaching spring in Cornwall last week but seem to have been unceremoniously dumped back into winter.  Boo.  

• Options

Now I can officially say congratulations, Madbee, on a monster pb and a great effort on a horrible day.  Well done indeed and it augurs well for your marathon(s) ahead.

• Options

madbee, 9 sodding seconds officially, not 10, so forget the grr.  Is someting missing from your Po10 profile or is that your best race time, ever, at any distance, by quite a long way? How long into the race did the nerves last?

Skinny, that's a cracking run but two complaints from me: first, I find 'sub'/'below'/'above' ambiguous when referring to pace, and second, you reminded me about the 18 with 14.

Muddy, congratulations on the PB. Were your feet actually numb? I just read R Askwith's 'Running Free' which is mostly boring but includes his special solution to the pain of reheating cold feet in warm shower after his daily run in vibram five fingers: in winter, have cold showers instead.

DT even a week from now, I'm not sure I would race a half on that ankle

I wore the HR monitor for once yesterday and see I averaged 170BPM for the 'MP' chunk. Normal for me would be about 174 when racing a half and 182 in a 5K race, I think, though I don't have many recordings. So reckon my small MP/LT difference is a bit of over-eager MP as well as slack LT.

Lit - I will skip the 7 at LT too - thanks for permission

• Options
    Madbee wrote (see)

..Grabbed a cup of water and poured most of it up my nose, then got my teeth .... 

x-post

At this point in your report I thought something more literal and bad was about to happen

• Options
    Madbee wrote (see)

Well done Muddy, that sounds like a hard-won result.

...  I was goosed ...

Thanks Madbee. That's a fantastic run in today's weather and a stupendous pb to boot. image

Good use of  'goosed'  by the way but for a second I wondered if someone had grabbed your bum.

The Hull 10k in June, perhaps ? I'll be doing the Vale of York half the same day as the Hull Marathon is on. I say that with a slight bit of shame about shirking my civic duty obviously.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys image

Marrows, good stalkage. I didn't know I even had a po10 profile image you are correct, however. One of the benefits of infrequent racing.
  • Options

Oops lots of cross posting.

Marrows - Yes, my feet were like blocks and my hands too. I did warm up towards the middle of the race though. I am not hardcore enough to wear Vibrams or even have a cold shower in any weather.

Pete - I think you were better off out of it. I didn't train properly this week due to the lingering cold and I suspect everything I've been doing for the past 10 days has been rather inadvisable and has contributed to it lingering. The feeling of  "must..have..endorphins" has trumped wisdom. 

McFlooze - Cheers but it is still a soft 5 mile time given my 5 mile splits in recent 10k's. Hope to rectify this at the MF 5.

• Options

According to Mcmillan, all your pbs are soft relative to your HM, muddy.  You need to enter a few more races! image

• Options

Think I'll do a slower half next weekend to line everything up image 

• Options

Ta for my 5k PB grats folks. McF it would be great to get sub-19. All going well I will shoot for it after I have got a couple of inconvenient proper races out of the way. 

Pete, yes I have a 10k in 3 weeks. A proper race with a number on my chest and everything! I know these parkruns "are not races" but I fail to see how. They absolutely are from my POV. Also I have an HM in April. And a 2 mile relay in May! That's the one I'm really looking forward too.

Muddy you are probably right - I have cut right back on the faster training and concentrated on developing the aerobic side. Ta for all the subtle hinting in that direction. And big props on the PB. Under the weather, freezing cold but the show must go on. Freddie Mercury is probably applauding somewhere right now.

Wow MadBee - awesome effort for a humungous PB! I'm impressed by how you got positives out of negs (the wind). Well done Mr Mad too. Mrs W has entered my couple of upcoming races herself so we'll have a little Team W thing going. I'd like to go all Team Skinny and get my son (13) along, who is fast but only cares about rugby. No chance of getting my daughter (15). Then again when I was that age there was no way I wanted to race anything above 100m.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Muddy - Well done on grinding out a PB on a tough sounding course when less than 100%. I'm sure you'll take at least a minute off that at the MF5 when fully firing. I keep the gold cell for now but for how long!! Shame I was on hols for Brass Monkey - would be good to have a smackdown before you get too fast for me image

Madbee - Huge PB from you there. I'm sure those 10 seconds are frustrating but a very good result nonetheless, especially considering the windy conditions. Now you'll have to race all the other distances to get them in line and fill up your PO10 profile.  

Skinny - Good MP running from you. Or sub MP. I reckon you are right to train at your theoretical MP even if you might be targetting a slightly slower pace in the actual race. Do you have any more races pre the marathon?

• Options
    Mr V - Vale of York half perhaps ? With the training sessions you're posting, I can't see myself keeping up though.
  • Options
    Mr V wrote (see)

Muddy would be good to have a smackdown before you get too fast for me image

That's what I did. image

Lots going on here today. I have just emerged from a hot bath, where I finally managed to get warm and clean again. It was freezing, sleeting, windy and horrifically muddy at Callendar Park, and to make matters worse, some idiot had failed to book the venue early enough to get the normal Saturday fixture (double-booked for a wedding), so we therefore couldn't use the local school as HQ (booked by a local church every Sunday), so we all had to spend hours in the freezing cold with no changing or shower facilities. As a clubmate pointed out, shit for the adults, but even worse when trying to look after a load of knackered, cold, wet children. I had an okay run; we were 4th team so no medals, though I still think pretty good considering we were 3rd in the District champs, and two of the top three teams were also East District. So basically the East pisses all over all the other districts. I still don't like XC though.

Well done to Muddy but especially Madbee on the PBs! Does this mean you will have to run all your LT runs really fast now? And well done to Skinny too for the MP run. I don't think mine were that fast last year (though I remember doing the 12 mile session on a ludicrous windy day and being totally unable to pace it evenly).

• Options

image - Madbee - save the 10 secs for next time

image - Muddy - PBs just too easy for you!

Well done Lit on getting cold and muddy - at least you got to see some of those children you hate so much really suffering!image

• Options

Well done Madbee, that's a massive PB image.

Muddy, another casual PB, good work, particularly after your recent illness etc.

Lit, sounds a bit of a shambles, shame about just missing out on the medals.

My physio appointment on Friday was OK, although does rule out London this year. He couldn't see anything majorly wrong and suspects a bit of tissue bruising. As the pain had almost gone by the time I'd seen him, after a week of no running, he was happy for me to start running again on the condition I stop if it hurts but also limited to 3-4 times a week and not longer than 45-60 minutes at a time, initially. So that's me out for London this year, which is disappointing but training had been haphazard for the last 3-4 weeks due to work commitments which had been concerning me.

However, the news from the physio did mean that I could accompany my mate, who I was visiting in Newcastle, to his local parkrun - Gibside. He warned me in advance that it was hilly and he wasn't wrong! Anyway after the usual happy clap start, we were under way, 2 lads shot off and I was in the following pack, after a half a mile we hit the first hill which thinned the group out somewhat, this was followed by a very steep downhill and then a long, long climb to a 180 degree turn back down the hill to the finish. Half way up the climb I'd overtaken a few people and was in third and pulling clear of the 4 or so people closest to me. That's pretty much how it stayed to the finish, I could see the lad in second was slowing and I was gaining on him but I'd left it too late to catch him. Finish time of 20:26, which I was pretty happy with given the course profile and my recent lack of running.   

• Options

Sounds pretty good to me, Tommy, especially given the time off running. That's a shame about London, but probably for the best - can you defer to next year?

I was 39th in the xc, which out of 226 is not too shit though I should probably have been slightly further up the field than I was. Also there were only 6 places between us and bronze, and if our top runner had been on form she'd have made them up by herself. Oh well!

• Options

Tommy – glad to hear that it's nothing too serious and 20:26 sounds like a decent time on a trick course. Shame about London though.

Lit – Sounds like a very enjoyable day out, despite not winning anything. I don't know what you are complaining about.

Charlie – Parkruns just aren't very competitive. The first few times I ran our local one I would go all out for a pb, but I think the last time I did that at Leamington was around this time last year. Most people just go for a sociable or fast training run.

Marrows – If you don't do 7 at LT, what will you do instead? Is 'supra' acceptable?

Madbee – MASSIVE pb and no complaining about the cold. Very well done. (my 10k pb stood at 40:10 for over a year)

Pete – Nothing wrong with running slowly as long as you are running.

Muddy – another weekend and another pb. I'm waiting for you to have a race when you are 100% fit and well, fast course, good weather and decent warmup. Then we'll really see what you are capable of.

Skinny – sounds like it's starting to come together.

DT – running this week isn't going to benefit you next weekend, so just take it easy.

I did the annual club handicap xc yesterday. Decided to run their as a warmup but set off a little late, so it was slightly quicker warmup then I am used to: five muddy miles across the fields at an average of about 8:20. Lodged some decent times on a few strava segments on the way though so not all bad. Took it fairly easy for the race, but my legs felt quite tired so it was reasonably hard work; averaged about 7:30 for 4 miles xc. I didn't win, but my chia and chocolate cake went down well with the hungry racers.

Woke up with still heavy legs today, so decided on a P&D style 7miles with strides recovery run.

This week has been completely unplanned and I've just checked garmin connect to find I've done 43 miles on my first week back and almost all of it over fairly tricky terrain. Rest day tomorrow.

• Options

Parkruns are sometimes a little dodgily measured, and often they are timed by people with no particular timing experience. So I guess the whole set-up is a bit more casual than a race.

Although I didn't win anything, I win at having cleaned not only myself, but also my clothes, my shoes, my other shoes, the bathroom floor, and the buckets I used to clean my shoes in. And I can feel my hands and feet again.

• Options
    You do win. Not a lot of cleaning has been done here this weekend.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Shit that reminds me. My spikes are still in the children's playhouse, stinking from Midlands Counties.

Good running muddy. No point knocking too much off your pb. You can now 'breeze' around mf 5 and still pbimage

Excellent work also, Madbee. Just as well p and d only has two nasty runs left with your new pacesimage.

Lou, nice comeback mileage, though breaking several rules no doubt. Odd hour club has its own xc champs but doesn't have a brum league status.

Tommy, good news re injury, bad news re vmlm. On a positive there is likely to be a greater thread smack down next year. Mace, madbee,marrows, mcf and Lit will auto qualify and have a choice, Muddy will run a 1.15 half and won't be able to resist, I have my deferred place, if I can avoid getting pissed and falling over, Skinny will gfa in Manchester and will not be able to turn down a mass smack down and Lou will ballot!

Marrows, that picture was taken Tuesday so I'm 5 days on and considerably improved. With another week to go, given I don't get any pain walking on it now, I think I'll be fine. 

• Options

Above updated for:-

Muddy producing another terrible, illness ruined, tough course 'surprise' PB at 5 miles this time.

Madbee smashing her 10 mile PB out of sight by over a mile and also improving her best ever WAVA (although I notice I've forgotten to change the distance but I've done it now on the master file).

Charlie smashing his 5k PB, improving his WAVA and looking like he might relegate Tommy when he does a 10k.

Well done all of you!image

PS Muddy it wasn't clear from your report if you got a prize or not - I've presumed not but let me know if you did.

• Options
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Charlie smashing his 5k PB, improving his WAVA and looking like he might relegate Tommy when he does a 10k.

Fully expecting him to! Going to keep my eye out for a local 10k in the next couple of months.

• Options

He'll also put me back in my rightful place!

• Options

Oh shit - Madbee that's a bronze cell I've missed for you too - corrected Bronze table republished below - two mistakes too many to make.

/members/images/673230/Gallery/Capture_189.PNG

• Options

I've also just noticed that Lit has still got a gold cell for being the youngest which needs transferred to Mr V. Corrected table below.

/members/images/673230/Gallery/Capture_190.PNG

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny- I think Mace is going to be keeping you busy when he actually starts racing. All his times from 5m onwards look well out of date.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Some excellent weekend racing and pb'ing from Madbee, Charlie and muddy. Well done folks  image and thanks for the reports.

V - thanks for the warning re overdoing it. Sometimes it's easy to become blinkered and good to have a reminder.

Skinny - stop making me LOL please, that's twice in 3 posts today. You failed to mention that muddy only seems to race uphill, i always imagine him winding up up up and away at the summit image. Seriously, another top performance mudman imageAnd Lit will break your legs for reducing her gold cell count.

Lou - good to see you getting some miles in, i need you fit and healthy if i'm going to have a chance of winning this year's "one to watch" category.

Tommy - Shame about VMLM image but otherwise good news on the injury front.

DT - I like your VMLM smackdown pipedream and promising news on your ankle image

74M recovery week last week and not feeling too bad despite slipping in some extra MP miles image I intend to front load the week and have a rest day on Friday ( which will be my first for about 4 weeks ) ahead of Sunday's 20M race. P&D plan is 20 with 12 @ MP. However, this is a club championshiop race and i've worked out i could maybe sneak max points with 5 easy and 15 @ MP image

• Options

To be honest I don't mind who gets the gold cells as I've always thought anyone on the thread who is (a) male and (b) under 50 ought to be faster than me anyway. And Mr V's got no excuse as he's only 28 and should be faster than all of us by a much  bigger margin than he is. But I am quite fond of the marathon one. So watch it, mace.

• Options

'74M recovery week'  Mace image you must be in good shape.

Mr V I did not realise you were so young!

Sorry to hear about London Tommy.  Have you deferred your place already or will you wait until the last minute?

Lou - I'm doing a 20 mile event that weekend with pacers at 30 sec/mile intervals. I think I'll try to do the first 10 with the 7:30 pacer and then speed up gradually.  Or maybe start with the 8:00 pacer.. but the field is thin enough that starting with 7:30 and winding up might get me some vouchers. No, 'supra' is no less ambiguous than 'above'.

Nice 7M in the sunshine this morning at 9 m/m with excellent company.  I tweaked my bum yesterday messing around, standing up onto things with one leg and not using the lower leg to push off. Stopped when I realised this was equivalent to trying to squat my own body weight.