Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    What's cushioning like?
  • Options
    Well done on the parkrun pb Charlie. I keep saying it but I should really have a go round Worcester one of these days if only to exercise my trail shoes ...
  • Options

Skinny, yes I suppose they all would have been about 6.03 min per mile assuming accurate reading, but Worcester parkrun is under dense tree cover and you get notoriously inaccurate GPS readings. Garmin says 6:03, 6:21, 6:30 for 3 miles. So I guess that first mile could have been faster in fact.

• Options

Cheers Muddy. I wore my Adizeros because it's mostly dry at the minute. Trail shoes in winter though.

• Options
    Haha - so the last 0.11 miles in 1 second image
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    They are ok, Skinny. I know some that wear them for shorter distance road running as well so cant be too bad.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)
    31 miles in 4:27 sound like proper running Tommy - I always thought ultra runners plodded along, stopping for picnics and it took them forever to get anywhere - you seem to have rattled an ultra off before lunch! 

Yep, I'd call it proper running, I averaged 8:50 pace overall. Not as proper as my club mate who won the 30 mile race at 7:15 pace or my other club mate who won the 40 mile version at 7:50 pace.   

Recovery run a bit later.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Tommy - impressive stuff, I can't/ don't want to imagine running that far.

Charlie - Nice work on the 5K PB and especially the 0.11 in 1 second sprint finish.

I'm just back from a not very sunny week in Portugal. On the plus side I did more training than I might have done if it was hotter. target 10K to come on Wednesday evening.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Excellent PB'ing, Charlie.  It must be all that getting chased by aggressive buzzards.

Skinny - I've got a pair of Fuji's that I wear when it's not super-muddy.  Or if there's a bit of road to get to the trail.  Otherwise I wear Innov-8 Roclite's as recommended by Lit.  Love them so much.  Lightest shoes ever. 

Relays went well.  I captained the team to victory and we regained the shield after two long years in the wilderness.  And we took 8 minutes off the course record!  12.03 for 100 miles.  There were some squeaky bum moments.  We went into the start of leg 8 having a nice 10 minute lead when our key rivals suddenly produced a woman who ran her 10 mile leg in 58 minutes!  Leaving us a one minute gap.  I was on leg 9 with the very uncomfortable sensation of being chased.  But I got lucky.  Coming up to the level crossing I was thinking, "haha, bet there are no trains on Sunday".  Whereupon the amber light started blinking, swiftly followed by red and the barriers started to come down.  I raced for the line and limbo'ed around the barriers just in time leaving my rival stuck.  Ran a hard leg in 1.09 but just about kept the gap.  Handed over to my clubmate who is speedy and ace and she gritted her teeth and went for it.  Ended up with a 2 minute lead over 100 miles of racing!

Other moments of excitement included me having to support the leg 4 runner as she'd managed to park her car in a ditch and her leg mate couldn't get it out and me leaving my bag, complete with the leg 10 race number on a grass verge somewhere in the Cotswolds.  Discovered a couple of hours later, having to send a rescue squad to retrive it (thankfully still there).  

So lots of fun.  Not a new PB though as leg just short of 10.  Another team prize though for the TTT.  Averaged 7:12 (had hoped for under 7) but given there's a mahoosive hill in it and I'm still not fully recovered I think that's not bad going.  

• Options

Charlie - Good pb with hills, mud and obstructive crowds.

Skinny - Do you mean Fuji Trabuco?  I have a pair of Fuji Trainer -  I think the latest model is called Fuji Pro.  They're like a road shoe with tread, so good for light trails and road/trail routes; reasonable amount of cushioning; not good in mud.  

DT - just spotted this on the Run S.M.A.R.T facebook.  You are the face of pain in contrast to the well trained RS athlete.  (Although, to be fair, it looks like you're going much quicker than he is).

• Options

And Hilly 100 relays were great fun yesterday.  I did leg 3, which I've done twice before.  10.7 miles, according to the watch, in 1:12:40, which was approximately 2:25 quicker than last year.  I took the baton almost exactly level with a couple of other competitors and I think I might have gone off a bit to quick trying to keep with them and struggled a bit later on.  Still very happy with the performance and our team took third in the Men's race in just under 11hrs for 100miles.  We will be receiving a prize, if you are intend update the ttt, Skinny.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done mcf and Lou.

Isn't that the leg we both ran last year, Lou?

Crikey, he looks like he's out for a jog and happened upon the end of a marathon. Having result stalked him he beat me by about 25 seconds but he ran the first half. About 90 seconds faster than me. So your observation is correct, Lou.

Having spent the last week feeling horrible with no voice and cold, I now feel great. I'm planning 5 mikes at mp tomorrow as an introduction to sessions and to get some vital hr v pace data.
  • Options
    Good hilly team work Lou and McF and thanks everyone for the shoe advice - sounds like the Fuji are the right shoe for me.

I'm working in Poland today and tomorrow then Lancashire so might not get chance to update TTT until Friday.

Cheers

Skinny
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, did you spin last week?
  • Options
    Yes - different instructor this week - he's a really good runner and seemed to explain things a bit better - will be going again this week. Cheers.
  • Options
    Yes DT I've done it three times now.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I would want to run a different leg each time I think.

I'm still debating this marathon in the autumn idea. Bournemouth is appealing. However I want to follow my half schedule over the summer. Can I do that I increase a few long runs to 20? Looking at it, the main difference in the two schedules is the long run.
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

DT, I'm not sure but I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Training for the GNR and just stretching out the long runs with the aim of a marathon shortly afterwards.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

DT - I guess it depends on what you're hoping to achieve. If you're for a better time than London then isn't following the same plan going to bring similar results? Didn't you feel the overall weekly mileage wasn't high enough? However, if you're just looking to maintain at a similar level then I reckon the plan you've outlined above would work.   

Bournemouth is a good marathon by all accounts but isn't it very exposed to the wind? One of my colleagues is doing the new Bristol and Bath marathon in the autumn, which may appeal to you.  

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I thought that was cancelled, Tommy?

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Isn't that quite hilly, Tommy?  

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Think it's sold out rather than cancelled, unless that's a ruse to make you not enter.  

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Yes cancelled this year. My mistake she's doing it next year, I guess she's following a similar training plan to Skinny.

It probably is quite hilly.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for a stepping stone to maintain endurance to help moving on to London next year.

Well people follow p and d twice a year and seem to improve. It served me well last time, but I think it lacked that middle run. I was going a 4th run of 5 miles at recovery. My plan would be to make that closer to ten.
  • Options

DT - If you're just looking for motivation/reason to do some long runs why not choose a trail marathon or similar so there will be no expectation of time.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes that is another option. I need to have a proper think.

First post Mara session tonight of 5 miles at mp (though I'm not sure I can call it that now). Was expecting a bit of a grind as with taper as well, not really done a great deal in 5 weeks. Was pleasantly surprised for it to come out at 6.52 for 159hr so right where I left off early April.
  • Options

It's a good point to pick up from DT.

I cheated a bit with my 4m at threshold last night and ran it downhill, so my pace came out a tad quicker than my most recent parkrun at threshold. However the effort was about right. I am lacking the motivation and time for an 11m medium long run today though due to a poorly child being off school.

Good luck with the target race tonight Mr V. 

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Oh, poor Mini-Muddy.  I guess he's a bit big to stick in a running buggy image.  

Good luck, Mr V.

I did ten miles with the buggy yesterday, was extremely wet.  I'm thinking that the post-VLM easy running should be just about up now and it's time to hit the track.  In the next month I've got a 5 mile race, a 1500m race and a 10k.  With possibly the classic 9 mile distance at the end of the month.  Not really sure how to approve training for this.  I'm assuming that the endurance/LT bases are more or less covered by marathon training, race itself and recent 10 mile race.  So more focus on V02 max and speed form?  But for the 1500...I know I can't do a lot in the time but should I be looking to do some 400's? Or 200's? At mile pace?  How many?  What recoveries?  Bit clueless here.  Where is Bob when you need him?  

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

McF - there has been discussion of something similar on the last few pages of the Stevie G thread.